Five players who impressed the Jets

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

Two surprises for me.  One who is on the list, and one who is not on the list.

Lawrence Cager- "Elite" run routing skills?  We would really go from famine to feast in the tight end room, if Cager balls out and earns a spot on the team.

Mims-  Him not being on this list, after the coaches gushed about how he showed up to camp, is a concern to me. How is an undrafted Cager on this list, but the 2nd round Mims not on this list?  Could be the beginning of the end for him.  We will wait and see.

I think Cager makes the team as a sort of non blocking Y receiver in 12 personnel sets that are really more like 11. Can he stay healthy is the question. We likely keep 4 TEs

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think Cager makes the team as a sort of non blocking Y receiver in 12 personnel sets that are really more like 11. Can he stay healthy is the question. We likely keep 4 TEs

I think cager is perfect for the practice squad as a developmental player this year to master the position.   Maybe a call up during season, but that would put him in good shape for the year after.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think you're right!  Staying healthy is always the question.

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Two surprises for me.  One who is on the list, and one who is not on the list.

Lawrence Cager- "Elite" run routing skills?  We would really go from famine to feast in the tight end room, if Cager balls out and earns a spot on the team.

Mims-  Him not being on this list, after the coaches gushed about how he showed up to camp, is a concern to me. How is an undrafted Cager on this list, but the 2nd round Mims not on this list?  Could be the beginning of the end for him.  We will wait and see.

Mims will be lucky to be WR 5 on this team. 

• Upvote 1

Wish guys like Lawson, Huff, JJ, QW, JFM even Martin were on the list b/c we desperately need Pass Rush.

However, I love seeing Wilson and Sauce on there. And its nice to see Davis on there because of the uncertainty of the FS position and depth.  

18 hours ago, Alka said:

The Coaches didn't write the list, a reporter did.  It's the reporters opinions.  We don't know (yet) what the Coaches think.

Honestly, at this point, the default presumption should be "Mims will be cut or provide nothing".  That's what his history shows to-date.  So anything we do get is cream, because the team has clearly planned for not needing Mims, with 4x WR's set to start in Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Like Richard Caster {88}

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Richard Caster might have been the best tight end the Jets ever had.  

I still have the jersey around here somewhere.  Most people thought it was Toon, but I am even older than that.   I think the same can be said for Jerome Barkum (83).  He made the pro bowl as a WR, but eventually shifted to TE.  

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Mims will be lucky to be WR 5 on this team. 

Mims is not going anywhere this year.  He doesn’t take up a lot of cap space and the team blames health for last season.  He’ll get a chance to prove he belongs or doesn’t 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Coaches didn't write the list, a reporter did.  It's the reporters opinions.  We don't know (yet) what the Coaches think.

Honestly, at this point, the default presumption should be "Mims will be cut or provide nothing".  That's what his history shows to-date.  So anything we do get is cream, because the team has clearly planned for not needing Mims, with 4x WR's set to start in Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios.  

everyone getting desperate for something to write about for 3 more weeks.  I cant wait for TC to start - in meantime Knicks misery but Yankees kicking ass and taking names...they better not let Judge walk next year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Cager might have average WR route running skills that now translate into above average for a TE. Which is fine - but he'll have to be showing the coaches that he can do the blocking and other essential stuff. 

In this case I am not thinking that they would look to have him be a blocker or play inline. He would strictly be a Y receiver that could present all types of matchup issues since the opposing team would likely be in base defense. Like I said I can see his role as a receiving TE which could have a lot of impact. Ruckert, Conklin and Uzomah could hold the fort on blocking and inline roles and I am sure Cager can block well enough for his role. So more of a big 6th receiver than a TE.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

everyone getting desperate for something to write about for 3 more weeks.  I cant wait for TC to start - in meantime Knicks misery but Yankees kicking ass and taking names...they better not let Judge walk next year.

Yup.

And too many fans confusing "this reporters opinion of X" with the actual Coaching staff's opinion of X.

I know we're all high strung, years of suckitude and this exciting new young roster makes us so, but everyone really should chill out for a few weeks, and not read so much into some hack reporters opinions of this or that.

We will all be excited to see for ourselves what this staff thinks of this roster come camp and preseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In this case I am not thinking that they would look to have him be a blocker or play inline. He would strictly be a Y receiver that could present all types of matchup issues since the opposing team would likely be in base defense. Like I said I can see his role as a receiving TE which could have a lot of impact. Ruckert, Conklin and Uzomah could hold the fort on blocking and inline roles and I am sure Cager can block well enough for his role. So more of a big 6th receiver than a TE.

I assume you are envisioning him like Enunwa.  I can see that.  I think Cager is a nice enough developmental prospect, but he does have teeny hands.  Douglas must like him, cause he brought him in under Gase.  I assume that he will be competing for that role with Yeboah who is more of a traditional TE and played over 100 snaps of specials last season.  

1 hour ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Mickey Shuler and Jerome Barkum say hi

Caster was better than both IMO.  I certainly think his statistics hold up against them.  Probably the only better TE the Jets drafted was Hempstead's John Mackey the HOF'er who elected to go to the old man's league and get his ass handed to him in Super Bowl III.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Caster was better than both IMO.  I certainly think his statistics hold up against them.  Probably the only better TE the Jets drafted was Hempstead's John Mackey the HOF'er who elected to go to the old man's league and get his ass handed to him in Super Bowl III.

Dom agree 100% No doubt Shuler was good but I think that he was a product of Waltons offense which favored tight ends and Gee Barkum was a better WR as he got moved inside as he aged and got a bit slower but Caster to me was a dam fine football player and under appreciated in Jets history 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Caster had an 18.1 yard average in his eight year Jets career. Averaging

over 20 three times and made Pro Bowl in 1972, '74 and '75

In an NFL player event he finished 2nd to Bob Hayes in the 100 yards

where players ran carrying the ball

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I didn't realize that a reporter wrote this with no insight from any coaching staff.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I still have the jersey around here somewhere.  Most people thought it was Toon, but I am even older than that.   I think the same can be said for Jerome Barkum (83).  He made the pro bowl as a WR, but eventually shifted to TE.  

It seems like we are both around the same age.  My 2 favorite receivers growing up were Jerome Barkum and Richard Caster.  After that, it was Wesley Walker.  Toon after that. Wayne Chrebet too.

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Mims is not going anywhere this year.  He doesn’t take up a lot of cap space and the team blames health for last season.  He’ll get a chance to prove he belongs or doesn’t 

Jeff Smith May edge him out he may end up on the practice squad.