Baker traded to Carolina

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This makes no sense, Baker had a way way better chance in this league and he blew it.

Still talking about Darold is terrible!  Oh I think Baker is good!  LOL

He blew it? Lol he shattered the rookie TD record, had a bad sophomore season, good 3rd year & took the browns to a playoff win for the first time in forever & then he hurt his shoulder and fell apart this last year. 

it makes much sense. I’m sorry you don’t agree, Beer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

OK. Gentleman's bet - in 5 years (I say 3 you say 7) we'll revisit this and I'll gladly pay a 100$ charity bet if Zach makes a starting day roster spot in 2025. I hope he's still starting for the Jets for the next 10 years.

to be fair, you said "out of the league".. not "will be a backup"

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

OK. Gentleman's bet - in 5 years (I say 3 you say 7) we'll revisit this and I'll gladly pay a 100$ charity bet if Zach makes a starting day roster spot in 2025. I hope he's still starting for the Jets for the next 10 years.

Sure we can make that bet.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:41 PM, slats said:

You don’t last a decade in the NFL at QB by being a moron. His biggest issues as a Jet were probably his immaturity and insecurity, both of which were on display in the IK incident. Like to think he’s grown up some since. 

The evidence suggests he has not. He still refuses to take any accountability. Less than a month ago a reporter asked why he hasn’t seen opportunities to start: “We all know what it is,” was his response. 

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/23/seahawks-geno-smith-comments-lack-of-opportunities/

The writer speculates on what Geno meant by this, but I don’t think the meaning really matters. He thinks it’s something external to himself that is to blame for where his career is today.

Lest we forget, this is the same player who lost his playbook mid-season while a Giants backup and didn’t tell anyone about it until the end of the year. Geno has had more opportunities than most get in a lifetime. He hasn’t gotten more because he hasn’t earned them

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

The evidence suggests he has not. He still refuses to take any accountability. Less than a month ago a reporter asked why he hasn’t seen opportunities to start: “We all know what it is,” was his response. 

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/23/seahawks-geno-smith-comments-lack-of-opportunities/

The writer speculates on what Geno meant by this, but I don’t think the meaning really matters. He thinks it’s something external to himself that is to blame for where his career is today.

Lest we forget, this is the same player who lost his playbook mid-season while a Giants backup and didn’t tell anyone about it until the end of the year. Geno has had more opportunities than most get in a lifetime. He hasn’t gotten more because he hasn’t earned them

At the same time Seattle seems to love him and Seattle players speak positively of him. And sportswriters think he will start. Not saying he is not outwardly very douchey at times but we don't interact with the guy

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

At the same time Seattle seems to love him and Seattle players speak positively of him. And sportswriters think he will start. Not saying he is not outwardly very douchey at times but we don't interact with the guy

There is 0 chance Geno starts in Seattle.  That is basically giving up on the season and playing for the 1st pick in next years draft.  Garropolo will be the qb there shortly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Flacco played well enough to win games last year.  The defense just couldn't stop anything.  

Baker would be a great option as a long term backup in theory, but his cost and personality would be detrimental to the team.  

If Wilson were able to beat him out, he wouldn't sit quietly and support the team.  

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is 0 chance Geno starts in Seattle.  That is basically giving up on the season and playing for the 1st pick in next years draft.  Garropolo will be the qb there shortly. 

I don’t know about zero chance, but I do think that’s where Jimmy G winds up. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I see no scenario where he winds up in Seattle this year.

What about the one where SF finds no trading partner and has to cut him before his $24M salary becomes fully guaranteed and then Seattle signs him? 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Imagine being a Jets fan who absolutely loves Baker Mayfield - you wanted him in 2018. Now it's 2022 and your boy gets traded to the Panthers, then Sam Darnold wins the starting QB competition in Carolina. That would suck. ?

It would also suck if an army of murderous unicorns invaded the Earth from their stronghold in Shangri-La. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Imagine being a Jets fan who absolutely loves Baker Mayfield - you wanted him in 2018. Now it's 2022 and your boy gets traded to the Panthers, then Sam Darnold wins the starting QB competition in Carolina. That would suck. ?

You had me until "Sam Darnold wins the starting QB competition".

That boogie boarding pu$$ isn't winning anything.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I ain't got no dog in the fight. I'm just gonna enjoy seeing them battle it out for the right to be the Panthers QB1. Ya dig? ??

Baker Mayfield may not impress some but just wait until the comparator is Darnold.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Baker Mayfield may not impress some but just wait until the comparator is Darnold.

"Despite finishing camp an estimated 18-48 with 2 TDs and 5 INTs, Baker Mayfield has been named the team's QB1 for their first preseason game.  Rhule noted that Mayfield has 'better chemistry' with the offense."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Dreams said:

Fair assessment, but if the idea is to field the best team possible it seems like an opportunity lost. Many want to dismiss Mayfield as a viable option because to them that means giving up on the dream of Zach Wilson's "potential". I see it as ensuring there is at least one fairly young and p tr oven NFL Quarterback on the team, but I guess I'm a troll. 

The idea isn’t to field more than one starting QB or to replace the one we drafted.  It’s to develop Zach plain and simple.  

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Despite finishing camp an estimated 18-48 with 2 TDs and 5 INTs, Baker Mayfield has been named the team's QB1 for their first preseason game.  Rhule noted that Mayfield has 'better chemistry' with the offense."

Remember how so many were angry that we didn’t hire Ruhle, didn’t give the the 7 year $62 M Carolina handed over to him.  
The Panthers OC talked about how Darnold will compete given his full year in the system.  LOL.  Chemistry

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Remember how so many were angry that we didn’t hire Ruhle, didn’t give the the 7 year $62 M Carolina handed over to him.  
The Panthers OC talked about how Darnold will compete given his full year in the system.  LOL.  Chemistry

Uhhh... what's our record since CAR hired Rhule?

image.png.d8fc62ff6e12bc184a9c9140465f7aa8.png

Not defending Rhule but if we dodged a bullet, we ducked into a howitzer.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Uhhh... what's our record since CAR hired Rhule?

image.png.d8fc62ff6e12bc184a9c9140465f7aa8.png

Not defending Rhule but if we dodged a bullet, we ducked into a howitzer.

His record is 10-23. 
With a contract of over $60M.  
It’s not who’s worse or a case of a glass house, we got rid of our mistake.  He can’t coach and costs so much they can’t really move on from him.  

On 7/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Baker would be a great option as a long term backup in theory, but his cost and personality would be detrimental to the team.  

If Wilson were able to beat him out, he wouldn't sit quietly and support the team.  

There isn’t a scenario in this universe where we would have picked up Baker and then had an open competition for the starting job.  Unless there’s an injury or a total break down at QB there’s no need for a Baker in 2022.  And he’d walk at the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

His record is 10-23. 
With a contract of over $60M.  
It’s not who’s worse or a case of a glass house, we got rid of our mistake.  He can’t coach and costs so much they can’t really move on from him.  

We suck too. I don’t care if Woody spent less to suck.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Patriot Killa said:

He blew it? Lol he shattered the rookie TD record, had a bad sophomore season, good 3rd year & took the browns to a playoff win for the first time in forever & then he hurt his shoulder and fell apart this last year. 

it makes much sense. I’m sorry you don’t agree, Beer.

I think Baker has become very underrated.

If you buy the idea that he was injured last year and played through the injury, his resume isn't that bad. He was good in 2020, albeit with a strong team around him.

Clearly the issue with him is personality and maturity. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in Cleveland -- you can't be the alpha/leader getting in the face of your right guard for blowing an assignment before throwing a terrible pick on the next series. He wore people out.

I think if this experience humbles him he could surprise some people in Carolina. I think they actually have some pieces and the NFC kind of sucks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

We suck too. I don’t care if Woody spent less to suck.

Jets need to start putting up some wins soon, but I’d rather the team be run by the guy who traded Darnold away than the one who traded for him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

There isn’t a scenario in this universe where we would have picked up Baker and then had an open competition for the starting job.  Unless there’s an injury or a total break down at QB there’s no need for a Baker in 2022.  And he’d walk at the end of the season.

There’s nobody here who is a bigger Mayfield fan than me, and even I realize bringing him to the Jets would’ve been moronic one year after taking Zach with the 2nd overall pick.

It wouldn’t help Baker, it wouldn’t help Zach, and I can’t see how it would help the locker room.

Right now the fan base seems to be in sync with what Douglas’ plan seems to be. Giving up on the most important pick of his tenure after 1 season would destroy all that belief we have going right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

There’s nobody here who is a bigger Mayfield fan than me, and even I realize bringing him to the Jets would’ve been moronic one year after taking Zach with the 2nd overall pick.

It wouldn’t help Baker, it wouldn’t help Zach, and I can’t see how it would help the locker room.

Right now the fan base seems to be in sync with what Douglas’ plan seems to be. Giving up on the most important pick of his tenure after 1 season would destroy all that belief we have going right now.

Exactly, throw out the contrarians and most agree

Paying so much you have to stick with a shltty HC?  Not seeing the comparison or how being stuck with Ruhle is a better situation

Never said it was only that rubbing it in the faces of those who wanted Rhule when we haven’t won a division game during Rhule’s entire tenure in Carolina seems a little… in the spirit of bonhomie I’ll call it “premature.”