Baker traded to Carolina

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Never said it was only that rubbing it in the faces of those who wanted Rhule when we haven’t won a division game during Rhule’s entire tenure in Carolina seems a little… in the spirit of bonhomie I’ll call it “premature.”

How do we equate my “remember when some were angry when we didn’t get Ruhle” comment with rubbing it in the faces of people?   Curious take

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How do we equate my “remember when some were angry when we didn’t get Ruhle” comment with rubbing it in the faces of people?   Curious take

We had some here (or was it that other , now defunct, board?) who were willing to lie down and die for Rhule. I remember a couple who fumed and raged when it didn't happen.  Never have I heard a single Rhule proponent come out and say "I was wrong".   Look, Belichick was a disaster in Cleveland.  Maybe Rhule will turn it all around in the future and figure it out in the NFL, but for now I think the fortune cookie reads:  "I'm going back to NCAA sooner than later and probably for good." 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

We had some here (or was it that other , now defunct, board?) who were willing to lie down and die for Rhule. I remember a couple who fumed and raged when it didn't happen.  Never have I heard a single Rhule proponent come out and say "I was wrong".   Look, Belichick was a disaster in Cleveland.  Maybe Rhule will turn it all around in the future and figure it out in the NFL, but for now I think the fortune cookie reads:  "I'm going back to NCAA sooner than later and probably for good." 

Which makes the “rubbing it peoples faces” reply even more confusing.  Something I could have done and didn’t

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because I interpret peoples’ words as they are used in normal parlance and you argued that Jets somehow avoided some cataclysm by not hiring him. If you meant it a different way, my bad.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because I interpret peoples’ words as they are used in normal parlance and you argued that Jets somehow avoided some cataclysm by not hiring him. If you meant it a different way, my bad.

In no way was it meant as what I wrote.  Simply that some were awfully pissed we missed out on him and we dodged a bullet. 
Nothing more

Just now, Jet Nut said:

In no way was it meant as what I wrote.  Simply that some were awfully pissed we missed out on him and we dodged a bullet. 
Nothing more

Ok then I got that part right. It’s hard to celebrate dodging a bullet when in doing so you fall head first into a wood chipper. Not a lot to celebrate last few years.

On 7/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I think Baker has become very underrated.

If you buy the idea that he was injured last year and played through the injury, his resume isn't that bad. He was good in 2020, albeit with a strong team around him.

Clearly the issue with him is personality and maturity. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in Cleveland -- you can't be the alpha/leader getting in the face of your right guard for blowing an assignment before throwing a terrible pick on the next series. He wore people out.

I think if this experience humbles him he could surprise some people in Carolina. I think they actually have some pieces and the NFC kind of sucks.

Baker underrated lol?

he and Sam Darnold are 1 and 2 in interceptions the last 3 years for all NFL quarterbacks

How anyone still takes Baker Mayfield seriously is comedy at this point

I hadn’t read through this topic yet, and what I’ve found is: the reason the Jets didn’t bring in competition for the starting job (like they supposedly needed to) is because the starter has a fragile ego. In a thread about Baker Mayfield. Baker Mayfield, who already had a starting job in Cleveland (given the way things are going with Watson) and whined his way off the team because the team didn’t believe in him enough.

I can sympathize with those who wanted a true competition even if I don’t agree with it, but a QB-ego problem being cured by bringing in Mayfield is pretty ridiculous. 

39 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Baker underrated lol?

he and Sam Darnold are 1 and 2 in interceptions the last 3 years for all NFL quarterbacks

How anyone still takes Baker Mayfield seriously is comedy at this point

You comparing him to Sam Darnold (who he has been consistently better than his entire career) is exactly why he’s underrated.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, jgb said:

Honestly, no it doesn’t. If you look at Jet fan confidence over the past decade it always follows the same pattern. Roughly 90% confidence going into the season, crashing to like 10% by the end of the season, then spiking back to 90+ after the draft to do it all over again.

I want results, not feelings.

this year is different.  Sportscaster and even fans of other teams are taking notice.   

21 hours ago, Dcat said:

Rhule was extremely popular among Jets fans.  The main reason is he wasn't hired was because he refused the job because Mac wanted to control who was on the staff.

The reality is the reason Rhule refused the job was extremely popular among Jets fans and they were right to be conserned at the continued control over the team being exerted by Mac.

Nobody really knew if Rhule would be a good NFL HC.  Nobody really knows if Saleh will ever be a good NFL HC.   Both are a big question mark.  Jets fans prior to either one of them knew that Mac was a dissaster.  The fact that Rhule was willing to tell Mac to pound salt was a very popular position among Jets fans.  

Belicheck wasn't a dissaster in Cleveland.  Cleveland has had 3 playoff appearances since 1990.  Belicheck has one of them.   He also won a playoff game in Cleveland that's one of 2 in 32 years.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You comparing him to Sam Darnold (who he has been consistently better than his entire career) is exactly why he’s underrated.

Baker had everything handed to him in Cleveland and he still didn't live up to the #1 overall pick in the 2018 Draft. I'm not saying Darnold is better, but I wouldn't characterize Baker as underrated. Notice how Odell Beckham went from looking like Randy Moss in Oakland to a good piece to a championship team on the Rams. Beckham's dad was right.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Belicheck wasn't a dissaster in Cleveland.  Cleveland has had 3 playoff appearances since 1990.  Belicheck has one of them.   He also won a playoff game in Cleveland that's one of 2 in 32 years.

Belichick’s Browns became the Ravens. Different franchise today. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Not in the official record books.  All of the Browns' history prior to the move to Baltimore is credited to the Browns of today. 

The Ravens are essentially treated like an expansion franchise and have their own separate franchise records.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/index.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/index.htm

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Baker had everything handed to him in Cleveland and he still didn't live up to the #1 overall pick in the 2018 Draft. I'm not saying Darnold is better, but I wouldn't characterize Baker as underrated. Notice how Odell Beckham went from looking like Randy Moss in Oakland to a good piece to a championship team on the Rams. Beckham's dad was right.

Baker > Sam > Zach

At least until Zach proves, on the field, that this is no longer the case.

We're all hoping he does that this year, but it's still an "if" as of today.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not in the official record books.  All of the Browns' history prior to the move to Baltimore is credited to the Browns of today. 

The Ravens are essentially treated like an expansion franchise and have their own separate franchise records.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/index.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/index.htm

Super weird how similar the 1996 Ravens were to the 1995 Browns, though. Quite the coincidence. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Super weird how similar the 1996 Ravens were to the 1995 Browns, though. Quite the coincidence. 

Doesn't change the accuracy of what Biggs was saying.  It's an odd wrinkle in the record books, of course, but Belichick does indeed have 1 of the 3 Browns' playoff appearances since 1990.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That's only because they haven't announced Superbowl MVP Joe Flacco as the starter. Yet. 

JN if Saleh announces before week 1 that Flacco won a secret QB competition and will be the starter:

nuclear explosion bomb GIF

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't change the accuracy of what Biggs was saying.  It's an odd wrinkle in the record books, of course, but Belichick does indeed have 1 of the 3 Browns' playoff appearances since 1990.

Are you actually under the impression that I did not know this? 

I’m really not disputing what Biggs had to say. In fact, I’m emphasizing the fact that Belichick was building something on the way out. He’s the guy who put Ozzie Newsome in place there for ****’s sake. Those Browns may be the same Browns in the record books, but the current slapdick franchise is completely independent from the one Belichick coached. 

Just now, slats said:

Are you actually under the impression that I did not know this? 

I’m really not disputing what Biggs had to say. In fact, I’m emphasizing the fact that Belichick was building something on the way out. He’s the guy who put Ozzie Newsome in place there for ****’s sake. Those Browns may be the same Browns in the record books, but the current slapdick franchise is completely independent from the one Belichick coached. 

It sounded like you were smugly disputing Biggs' statement, so yes, I was assuming you weren't aware, as not everyone is.  

This explains what you were saying a lot better than the original smug reply you made to Biggs.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

Belichick hired Ozzie Newsome in Cleveland.  The staff he put together in Cleveland were a big part of the Ravens turning it around 3 years later.  They sucked under Marchibroda for 3 years.  Newsome who was hired with BB in his first year in Cleveland took Ferentz who BB recruited to Cleveland to Baltimore.  They drafted Ogden with their first pick because of Ferentz.   

The Browns were 4 and 4 when they annouced the move  in 1995 and that team went down the tube.  That same team sucked for 3 years under Marchibroda while the GM and the other hires during BB time with Cleveland drafted some great players.  The Ravens didn't turn around until year 4 after some great drafts under the former Browns GM.  

BB was a big part of the Ravens having a top notch organization and there ongoing success.  

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing more

How did we dodge a bullet?  We hired Gase and Saleh we have been worse than Carolina over the two years Rhule has been in Carolina.  We probably suck with Rhule but we might suck less? 

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we're thinking of starting Clipboard Check-casher Flacco, should just bring back The Clown McCown instead. 

Or better yet, the beloved corpse of Vinny Testeverde.  At least we all loved him.

I know we all hate the idea of veteran mentors, but Mark Sanchez was 19-13 when Mark Brunell was on the roster and 18-23 when he wasn't. 

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Not a Baker fan.  Didn't think he should go No. 1 but he wasn't handed everything in Cleveland.   Both Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson were handed the Jets job.  Cleveland didn't have a QB competition and planned to sit Baker for a good part of his first season.  The job was actually handed to Tyrod Taylor who was brought in to start so that Baker could develop without being handed anything.

In case you forgot game 3 of Bakers rookie year against the NY Jets the Browns at home were getting their ass kicked.  Taylor looked like old dog sh*t that was marinating on the sidewalk.  Baker came in and crushed us in the second half.

Baker had a very good rookie year.  In 13 game starts he had 27 TD's and 14 Int's with a QB rating of 93.7.

Had Sam Darnold done anything close to what Mayfield did he would have gotten a parade.  

There's a pretty good argument that Baker might not become an elite NFL QB.  There is no argument that he doesn't belong as an NFL starter and isn't right now miles better than either Sam or Zach.   

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

How did we dodge a bullet?  We hired Gase and Saleh we have been worse than Carolina over the two years Rhule has been in Carolina.  We probably suck with Rhule but we might suck less? 

I said Gase sucked.  But we dumped him after 2 seasons, didn’t have to hang onto him because he had a $65M dollar deal.  Gase also wasn’t the GM.

I’d take Saleh right now over Ruhle.  At least Saleh has a chance to succeed.  Ruhle has shown he’s not going to be even a solid HC.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I said Gase sucked.  But we dumped him after 2 seasons, didn’t have to hang onto him because he had a $65M dollar deal.  Gase also wasn’t the GM.

I’d take Saleh right now over Ruhle.  At least Saleh has a chance to succeed.  Ruhle has shown he’s not going to be even a solid HC.  

Gase hired Douglas thank god.  Rhule has had control over personal in Carolina.  There is nothing that indicates Saleh is a good HC to date.  Rhule has proven he can't handle the personal decisions.  

Hard to say what Rhule might be as a HC with a good GM.  Hard to say what Saleh is at this point.  Not sure I would want either guy?  WIlling to see how Saleh does in the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know we all hate the idea of veteran mentors, but Mark Sanchez was 19-13 when Mark Brunell was on the roster and 18-23 when he wasn't. 

Who else was on the roster (and Coaching) when he went 19-13 and 18-23.

I'd place more on that than on Brunell.

• Upvote 1