Baker traded to Carolina

1 hour ago, jgb said:

In one scenario we will. If The QB explodes into the season and crushes the first 6 weeks, all "da haterz" such as myself will say okay, the dude is looking legit. If he bombs the first 6 weeks, does anyone really believe his supporters will reverse course?

The Zach supporters and homers will never admit that Zach can't play even if he bombs worse than last season. There will always be an excuse, up until the day he traded or released and then the narrative will be 'forget about him he's gone' and let's hope the next guy is going to be our hero.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

In one scenario we will. If The QB explodes into the season and crushes the first 6 weeks, all "da haterz" such as myself will say okay, the dude is looking legit. If he bombs the first 6 weeks, does anyone really believe his supporters will reverse course?

Tbh I remember when we were half decent back in the early 2000s and people complained all the time here so no matter what, people are gonna bitch. People used to say we could win a super bowl and our fan base would still find something to complain about. Would love to find out!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The Zach supporters and homers will never admit that Zach can't play even if he bombs worse than last season. There will always be an excuse, up until the day he traded or released and then the narrative will be 'forget about him he's gone' and let's hope the next guy is going to be our hero.

Geez you’re running Zach out of town after what 12-13 games let’s see how he plays for at least a full season beginning to end After the season see how he progressed, regressed or stayed  the same. Then it’s truly decision time on Zach 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What $193M serial woman harasser did we replace any of those QB's with again?  Oh, and in the process of bringing him in, say we "Need an adult" in the QB room?

And Mayfield was better than any of those 3 QB's, and it wasn't even particularly close.

What’s the difference who was brought in to replace a player?  Watson was picked over Baker because he’s a better player not because he’s a better person.  
I didn’t say Baker was as good or better than the Jets QBs, just we didn’t resign them

Just saw a tweet that Baker is suddenly 10-1 to win Comeback POTY.

The Browns fans are showing a ton of class on their message board, thanking him for changing the culture and embracing the city of Cleveland.

I can’t wait for week one, Panthers - Browns is gonna be must see tv in my house!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Hex said:

I wonder if the commercial will involve Baker moving to a different stadium

Or how about when he gets locked out at Cleveland, like before only now they don’t let him back in, ever.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Off the top of my head:  I'd have Sam Darnold giving Mayfield and his wife a tour of the Carolina facility.  Then, at the end, handing Mayfield the keys. waving goodbye, and walking into a threshing machine.

Wood chipper.  
Buscemi like 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Geez you’re running Zach out of town after what 12-13 games let’s see how he plays for at least a full season beginning to end After the season see how he progressed, regressed or stayed  the same. Then it’s truly decision time on Zach 

Yeah, he's getting the full season unless he's injured - or needs a few games with a CS 'faked' injury so he can supposed sit and learn. But JD will not bench his #2OA pick. What he'll do is lower expectations and then claim success because Zach made 'progress'.

I don't think we'll need more than 6 games to see if the light went off and if Zach remembered/learned how to play QB at the NFL level.

• Upvote 2

Really only 2 reasons for bringing Baker in to compete with Zack.

First, if Saleh felt Zack wasn't committed enough, working hard enough, etc. Think Jamarcus Russel or Dwayne Haskins. Two QBs who didn't spend enough time learning the playbook or watching film. Stuff like that. They felt entitled and were happy to put in the minimum effort. But bringing in another QB to light a fire under Zack's ass probably would be pointless, as he already works his ass off.

Second, if Saleh has doubts about ZW's ability to develop and wants to cover his own ass, just in case. But with Zack having only his rookie year under his belt, it's a bit too early to bring in his potential replacement. Plus us fans makes this option bad due to us screaming for Baker the first time Zack throws an int. And the 2nd time, and 3rd time. etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Really only 2 reasons for bringing Baker in to compete with Zack.

First, if Saleh felt Zack wasn't committed enough, working hard enough, etc. Think Jamarcus Russel or Dwayne Haskins. Two QBs who didn't spend enough time learning the playbook or watching film. Stuff like that. They felt entitled and were happy to put in the minimum effort. But bringing in another QB to light a fire under Zack's ass probably would be pointless, as he already works his ass off.

Second, if Saleh has doubts about ZW's ability to develop and wants to cover his own ass, just in case. But with Zack having only his rookie year under his belt, it's a bit too early to bring in his potential replacement. Plus us fans makes this option bad due to us screaming for Baker the first time Zack throws an int. And the 2nd time, and 3rd time. etc.

They drafted him 2nd overall because they believe in him, they’re not dumping him for Baker after year two.  It’s silly

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Off the top of my head:  I'd have Sam Darnold giving Mayfield and his wife a tour of the Carolina facility.  Then, at the end, handing Mayfield the keys. waving goodbye, and walking into a threshing machine.

Baker Mayfield's current view

image.png.1c436902c7ece77b63c6a24db3d122a8.png

• Haha 1

Maybe you can see Carolina being a model for the Jets next year or year after.   Like the Colts.  

The roster has been built, our young QB is not very good, the coach and GM want extensions, so bring in another QB to see if we can win and make the playoffs.   Yes, we are paying Sam $18mm, but that is not slot for a QB.  Bring in Baker and see how he does, and he can extend or be franchised next year.  

The issue is whether the Panthers’ roster is good enough to support Baker and the playoffs, or if the Panthers were better off playing Darnold and for the draft pick. 

3 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

I think Sam will do better than Mayfield in Carolina. Mayfield has always played with far better offensive weapons than Sam has ever dreamt of. 

Please, please, please bet me.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

I think Sam will do better than Mayfield in Carolina. Mayfield has always played with far better offensive weapons than Sam has ever dreamt of. 

Baker was a walk on at two different Division 1 Power 5 teams and won the job outright in his first season both times. The problem in Cleveland is that he was the #1 overall pick and had no chip on his shoulder. I fully expect Mayfield to be more motivated than he has ever been in his pro career, and the results will show on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

40 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, you and JGB are really miserable fans.  I mean you really suck the life out of a party.  I can envision you showing up at birthday party’s and telling your friend he’s one year closer to death.   We have a team with new management and coaches, plenty of new young hungry players, being built in a smart responsible sustainable way, and you both just continue to hammer your negativity instead of embracing the changes made and general team direction.  I get the years of frustration-I’ve been a fan since 1969-but maybe give these guys a chance instead of pushing the SOJ schtick?   I know many chronically frustrated Jet fans who are pretty excited to see this team take off.   Get happy and join the party!

What ever type of anti-depressant you're on - get me some.

With respect, you and all homers are the miserable fans. Fans who refuse to deal with reality and happily accept the piss poor product the Jets roll out. Jeez how hard is it to accept that your team sucks when they really do SUCK, I guess that makes me a miserable fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, you and JGB are really miserable fans.  I mean you really suck the life out of a party.  I can envision you showing up at birthday party’s and telling your friend he’s one year closer to death.   We have a team with new management and coaches, plenty of new young hungry players, being built in a smart responsible sustainable way, and you both just continue to hammer your negativity instead of embracing the changes made and general team direction.  I get the years of frustration-I’ve been a fan since 1969-but maybe give these guys a chance instead of pushing the SOJ schtick?   I know many chronically frustrated Jet fans who are pretty excited to see this team take off.   Get happy and join the party!

My good man this could be a cut and paste from any year in the past decade.

When there is a reason to party, we will be right there with you enjoying it. I’m super okay with being fashionably late.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

And the pathetic sojf  zach haters will always whine about zach. Even if he plays great this year,  they will find flaws because they are programmed to be whiners. Zach could win a playoff game this year and they will cry because he didn't play well in the 2nd playoff game.  Pretty sad to be part of this group of "fans".....

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

What ever type of anti-depressant you're on - get me some.

With respect, you and all homers are the miserable fans. Fans who refuse to deal with reality and happily accept the piss poor product the Jets roll out. Jeez how hard is it to accept that your team sucks when they really do SUCK, I guess that makes me a miserable fan.

I dont need anti depressants to follow a football team.   Its only entertainment, for Christsake!

If the team sucks, I switch channels or turn off the game and go fishing.  I dont throw things or kick the dog.

Calling fans that like the team miserable homers is laughable.  You know that fan is short for fanatic, right?  And you might ask yourself why do you bother following a team that makes you so unhappy?   Its like staying married to someone you cant stand because you said “I do” 30 yrs ago

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

My good man this could be a cut and paste from any year in the past decade.

When there is a reason to party, we will be right there with you enjoying it. I’m super okay with being fashionably late.

I get our history.  

But this doesnt year and team feel any different to you?

Being late to the party means missing half the party!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And the pathetic sojf  zach haters will always whine about zach. Even if he plays great this year,  they will find flaws because they are programmed to be whiners. Zach could win a playoff game this year and they will cry because he didn't play well in the 2nd playoff game.  Pretty sad to be part of this group of "fans".....

Maybe there will be some. But we already know that when a QB stinks, there are legions that will defend him to the point of viciousness until the bitter end.

34 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I get our history.  

But this doesnt year and team feel any different to you?

Being late to the party means missing half the party!

Honestly, no it doesn’t. If you look at Jet fan confidence over the past decade it always follows the same pattern. Roughly 90% confidence going into the season, crashing to like 10% by the end of the season, then spiking back to 90+ after the draft to do it all over again.

I want results, not feelings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’m not saying you don’t have a point but it’s nothing but words and hopes until the wins come. Personally I think we are going in the right direction, much better than last two GM’s and it could get better. I’m just struggling believing it will and the reality is nothing has improved until we win games. I know, I know, draft, roster, direction and bunch of other things that improved but until they start stacking wins it gets tougher and tougher for me to buy in. So I will just apologize for myself. I’m sorry Bowelmovement. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They drafted him 2nd overall because they believe in him, they’re not dumping him for Baker after year two.  It’s silly

This + not everything that happens in the NFL needs correlation with the Jets.

This has nothing to do with us. It is inherently narcissistic to take every headline and make it about ourselves and/or things we are interested in.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This + not everything that happens in the NFL needs correlation with the Jets.

This has nothing to do with us. It is inherently narcissistic to take every headline and make it about ourselves and/or things we are interested in.

D9EDB018-EDCD-4787-B35C-0AA4C16792F9.gif

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree 100%. A BU QB should be a good (but not gooder than the starting QB) but good enough to step in and look respectable while the rest of the team steps up and the OC dumbs down the playcalls. 

White was the perfect example of a good BUQB last season, stepping in for his first game and throwing over 400 yards on a bunch of 5 yard passes. If only he had left it there he could of been Zack's BU for the next 10 years...but nooooo....he had to start another game and look like he doesn't belong on ANY football field.

Actually, Flacco is (in my opinion) the perfect BU for a young (struggling) QB. I think (hope?) Flacco has taken ZW under his wing, giving him pointers and encouragement on the sidelines, maybe even watching film with Z during the week. Flacco has played against every team on our schedule (albeit different rosters) and that alone has to give ZW comfort with the advice Flacco is giving him. That's a whole different level of support Flacco can give that few other BU's can offer.

Eventually, I'd like to see JD burn a late round pick (4th, 5th round) on a young, promising QB who can grow with the team. Kind of like Morgan, only better. 

Anyway, thanks for your reply to my original take.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

Maybe you can see Carolina being a model for the Jets next year or year after.   Like the Colts.  

The roster has been built, our young QB is not very good, the coach and GM want extensions, so bring in another QB to see if we can win and make the playoffs.   Yes, we are paying Sam $18mm, but that is not slot for a QB.  Bring in Baker and see how he does, and he can extend or be franchised next year.  

The issue is whether the Panthers’ roster is good enough to support Baker and the playoffs, or if the Panthers were better off playing Darnold and for the draft pick. 

Joe Flacco Thumbs Up GIF by Baltimore Ravens

• Haha 4