Sean Payton wants to coach the Jets?

3 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Let’s see how Payton does with 5th string UDFA cornerbacks before saying he knows more about defense than Saleh.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Payton didn't seem to do a very good job when he didn't have the top talent in the league at his disposal. Any coach could have done what he did. Hen ight very well be a great coach but let's not act like he was working with anything but top notch offense there. His game plab literally could have been coached by my daughter. Give ball to RB .... Repeat...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, bla bla bla said:

Agreed, but I don't think we should be throwing our hat in the ring unless Payton explicitly states he wants to be here. We are building the right way, would be the Sanchez/Manning situation all over again.

Agreed and I don’t think Payton is the type of guy to show interest in a job when a HC is under contract. He would only state his interest in a job if there were an opening… not beforehand. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:32 PM, bitonti said:

woody doesn't hire people who have done the job before 

those people cost money

instead he hires cheap cheap first timers that learn on the job 

rinse and repeat 

Think About It GIF by Identity

record player GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, Rhg1084 said:

image.thumb.png.b5cdd540ebda053e0d88570a3bb52c9c.png

Apparently the Jets are on his short list. Saleh seems like a nice guy and all but if Payton really wants to come here the job is his 

Off course I'm excited to see Saleh and Jets succeed this year and beyond.

There's no doubt though...that Payton has a great offensive mind.  And would be a source of knowledge for the development of a QB like Zach Wilson.  I can definitely see him nurturing a special relationship with Zach as he did with Drew Brees. 

Just sayin. 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:26 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Payton didn't seem to do a very good job when he didn't have the top talent in the league at his disposal. Any coach could have done what he did. Hen ight very well be a great coach but let's not act like he was working with anything but top notch offense there. His game plab literally could have been coached by my daughter. Give ball to RB .... Repeat...

Lol. This kind of thinking is an excellent example of circular thinking. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, lets ditch an up and coming superstar head coach for a washed up has been.  Brilliant idea.

Saleh is completely unproven.  Sean Payton has won a Super Bowl and is considered a top echelon HC.  If there's any chance we can get Payton, they have to fire Saleh on the spot.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, bitonti said:

woody doesn't hire people who have done the job before 

those people cost money

instead he hires cheap cheap first timers that learn on the job 

rinse and repeat 

Think About It GIF by Identity

Somehow the best either never get hired here. or in the case of  Bellichick, walk. Instead Woody goes cheap, each and every time. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:26 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Lazy, stupid and incorrect take.  Teddy Bridgewater went 5-0 as an injury replacement for Brees in ‘18.  Last season, they used 4 different QBs (none of them named Drew Brees) and still went 9-8.  And that was with Marquez Callaway rolling as the WR1.

Payton is an elite offensive mind.  Of the top 40 offenses in NFL history (by yardage), Payton has coached 7 of them.  That doesn’t happen by just turning the keys over to the talent on the field.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lazy, stupid and incorrect take.  Teddy Bridgewater went 5-0 as an injury replacement for Brees in ‘18.  Last season, they used 4 different QBs (none of them named Drew Brees) and still went 9-8.  And that was with Marquez Callaway rolling as the WR1.

Payton is an elite offensive mind.  Of the top 40 offenses in NFL history (by yardage), Payton has coached 7 of them.  That doesn’t happen by just turning the keys over to the talent on the field.  

Blah blah blah... Adam Gase won game too. Let's not act like the guy is the second coming. I don't think he is. Who led those 7 top offenses? You dismiss my point then directly point to his top talented teams performance as proof of him being great coach. Hey man you can think brees etc.didnt matter but they did.

12 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Blah blah blah... Adam Gase won game too. Let's not act like the guy is the second coming. I don't think he is. Who led those 7 top offenses? You dismiss my point then directly point to his top talented teams performance as proof of him being great coach. Hey man you can think brees etc.didnt matter but they did.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying.  That Brees “didn’t matter”.  

There’s been a lot of great teams with great QBs who didn’t make the top 40 list 7x.  But sure.  Payton is just an average coach and anyone can do that.  Easy!

You are incapable of an actual discussion on any topic. Waste of time.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah that’s what I’m saying.  That Brees “didn’t matter”.  

There’s been a lot of great teams with great QBs who didn’t make the top 40 list 7x.  But sure.  Payton is just an average coach and anyone can do that.  Easy!

You are incapable of an actual discussion on any topic. Waste of time.  

Just cause you can't understand what others say doesn't make them wrong. You just twist stuff around to whatever narrative you want, it's fine but when called out on your dumb logic you should just admit and move on. Even though you voted his top performing offenses that featured Bree's etc, you can still argue he is a good coach...with you know an argument. Maybe dive into the numbers more or show some sort of coaching he did that lifted his team up etc. I mean you would still be wrong but at least you could try to defend what you say rather than your standard call the other person names.

There was a reason they lost in the playoffs against other top talented teams. He was out coached. Is he a good coach? Maybe...he's def average. But he is definitely not exceptional nor top tier. Those coaches lead their teams to wins.

But you know you do you, berrios is the best WR still right? Lol

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just cause you can't understand what others say doesn't make them wrong. You just twist stuff around to whatever narrative you want, it's fine but when called out on your dumb logic you should just admit and move on. Even though you voted his top performing offenses that featured Bree's etc, you can still argue he is a good coach...with you know an argument. Maybe dive into the numbers more or show some sort of coaching he did that lifted his team up etc. I mean you would still be wrong but at least you could try to defend what you say rather than your standard call the other person names.

There was a reason they lost in the playoffs against other top talented teams. He was out coached. Is he a good coach? Maybe...he's def average. But he is definitely not exceptional nor top tier. Those coaches lead their teams to wins.

Bill Belichick has lost more Super Bowls than any other coach. Average coach.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Drew Brees was in the league for five years before he hooked up with Payton. In his career, he’s led the NFL in passing yards 7 times, comp% 6 times, and TDs 4 times. All of those league leading stats came during his time with NO. Brees certainly mattered to Payton, but Payton also certainly mattered to Brees. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:26 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look at scumbag BB. Without Brady they look very pedestrian.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Bill Belichick has lost more Super Bowls than any other coach. Average coach.

poor trolling.

BUT...

All I said is that payton is not the best coach in the world and that his talented players had more of an effect than he did. much like Brady did for Billy boy.

Coaching matters and I think you would rank Bill of Payton. and niether of them are the best coaches in the world. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Drew Brees was in the league for five years before he hooked up with Payton. In his career, he’s led the NFL in passing yards 7 times, comp% 6 times, and TDs 4 times. All of those league leading stats came during his time with NO. Brees certainly mattered to Payton, but Payton also certainly mattered to Brees. 

fair... I don't disagree, and that doesn't make Sean the best coach in the world and i would argue that his coaching was main reason Bree's did not have more SB's. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Unless your HC is Belichick or maybe John Harbaugh, any owner or GM would be foolish to not want Sean Payton.

what if your Head coach is Saleh and your first real good GM in forever just unloaded all the bad contracts and bad talent while building a a good young roster and new QB for him. That might also be a reason not to bring in a guy whose entire off is built on elite qb play. 

Its ridiculous to want to bring in a guy like Payton right now.

Absolutely foolish and very stupid thing to do for the jets. Now if your the browns or Texans maybe sure sign them up. But you have to look at the situation on the ground. Where the Jets are right now in 2022. Not only would Joe not do it but nor would any legitimate GM either.

Not to mention the question of could he Payton even do it again in the optimum circumstances. 

Don't read what I am not saying, it is very simple even @Jetsfan80 should be able to understand. Our team is build for Saleh. We are in the rebuild right now, this is the year we see some of the fruits of our labor. Bringing in some one like Sean would be foolish and most likely restart the clock. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Look at scumbag BB. Without Brady they look very pedestrian.

Not even remotely accurate. Of course they elevated each other and the results speak for themselves, but even without Brady and with a noodle arm QB like Mac Jones, he still won 10 games. He also had a lot of success without Brady in the games that Brady was hurt or suspended like all of '08, the beginning of '14, and the AFC championship game in '01. He's also the last browns HC to win a playoff game, and that was like 30 years ago. None of that is "very pedestrian".

For reference, the last time the Jets won 10 games we had to buy all of the biggest free agents. Since then, we've changed the GM, changed the HC 2x, and drafted QBs in the top 3 overall 2x, and still haven't even managed to get to .500. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You're the Dunning-Kruger posterboy.  

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

poor trolling.

BUT...

All I said is that payton is not the best coach in the world and that his talented players had more of an effect than he did. much like Brady did for Billy boy.

Coaching matters and I think you would rank Bill of Payton. and niether of them are the best coaches in the world. 

Don’t leave loose threads if you don’t want them pulled.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've been on Jets forums since '04 and have routinely been surprised at various things over the years.

It shouldn't surprise me that there are people that would be actively against bringing in Sean ******* Payton to be the HC, yet here I sit, surprised.

All because the dude lost some playoff games, or something.

And apparently Drew Brees claims sole responsibility for producing the # 1 offense (by yardage) of all-time (2011 Saints).  Payton had nothing to do with that.  He just tossed the ball out there and let Brees call all the plays.