Brian Costello Zach Wilson is Jets’ future, but Robert Saleh must keep riding with Joe Flacco

doitny

i know, another FLacco, Wilson thread. but if you dont want to read this just go to the bolded on the bottom for a new Quote from Saleh and tell me if thats sounds like Zack will definitely start when he is ready. 

Robert Saleh understandably wanted no part of the question on Wednesday. 

The Jets coach has just gotten past the whole “taking receipts” quote from last week and was not looking to create any more headlines … so when asked if there is any scenario where Joe Flacco can keep the starting quarterback job once Zach Wilson is healthy, Saleh gave an answer that sounded like he practiced it in front of a mirror before his press conference. 

“Zach’s the future of the organization. We all know that,” Saleh said. “As soon as the doctors clear him, we’ll get him on the field.” 

Really? Has Wilson earned the right to have the starting job handed back to him? 

Saleh surely does not want to deal in hypotheticals, but we do. Let’s play this out a little bit. Flacco goes out Sunday and has another 300-yard, four-touchdown performance and the Jets beat the Bengals to improve to 2-1. You’re telling me Monday morning, Saleh is taking the keys out of Flacco’s hands? 

Joe Flacco passes the ball against the Browns during the first half at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland last Sunday.

Joe Flacco threw for four touchdowns and over 300 yards against the Browns.

I wouldn’t. Saleh should ride the hot hand and that is Flacco. 

Now, the scenario I laid out is unlikely. The Jets are an underdog against a desperate 0-2 Bengals team on Sunday. But what if? What if Flacco does it again? What if the Jets pull off another shocker? 

Saleh should then come out Monday and say Wilson’s surgically repaired knee needs another week of rest and Flacco will start Week 4 against the Steelers. Keep going until Flacco’s 37-year-old wheels fall off. 

No one is saying Flacco looked like Aaron Rodgers last week. But there was some magic at the end of the game. Sure, the Browns handed the Jets a chance they should have never had, but Flacco made the most of that opportunity. He hit a wide-open Corey Davis on a 66-yard touchdown pass and then executed a masterful final touchdown drive after the onside kick. 

Everyone calls Flacco “Joe Cool” and it was on display on that final drive. He looked like he was in total control and was a calming presence for a young team.

“I think Joe’s a really good quarterback. He’s seen everything,” Saleh said. “[By] the fourth quarter, the game plan has already been revealed. They know how they’re playing everything. When we got that onside kick, he knew exactly where he needed to go with the ball because he already knew what was going to happen. The great ones can see that so in those fourth quarters when you have a good quarterback who’s armed with all the knowledge he needs, that’s hard.”

Could Wilson have led the Jets back? Maybe. But he does not have the knowledge that Saleh spoke about. Flacco has been there and done that. Wilson has one fourth-quarter comeback on his résumé. Sunday was Flacco’s 19th. Sunday was the 37th time Flacco has thrown for 300 yards in an NFL game. Wilson has yet to hit that mark. 

The postgame reaction from Flacco’s teammates show how much they love the man many watched star for the Ravens when they were children. In the video the Jets tweeted out Flacco was in the middle of the room, surrounded by jumping Jets and you could see how popular he is in the locker room. 

But it was not just the magic of Sunday’s comeback. Flacco has played well when given time by the offensive line and the receivers don’t drop passes. PFF has him rated as the third-best quarterback in the NFL, trailing just Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts. They have credited him with zero turnover-worthy plays. He is third in the NFL with 616 passing yards. 

Will it last for a season, a month, two more weeks? Who knows? But Saleh owes it to the Jets players, coaches, front office, owners and fan to find out. 

So, is there any chance Flacco can stay in the job?

“I don’t want to be a broken record,” Saleh said. “I’ll be happy to answer that question a million times over when Zach is healthy and ready to go. Zach is the future of the team.” 

No one is going to argue that the 23-year-old is not the future. But that does not mean the 37-year-old, if he continues to play well, can’t be the present. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Easy, Zach is our QB moving forward.

It's not like he dominated the last 2 games. He was stellar at the end of the game against the Browns.

Right,  but I just think the easiest thing for Saleh to do is let it take care of itself. Play Flacco as long as the team is winning and move to Zach with a clean slate after a loss - chances are high you see Wilson @Pitt, home against Miami, or in GB, unless you really think we going on a huge winning streak with Flacco, which is a fun thought, but is not exactly the most likely scenario in the world. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is the right idea. 

We want this drama. It means the team is good and we care. 

Yes.

Additionally, Zach is learning from watching Joe. Joe didn't know the offense last year when he was thrown in there. Now he does, and Zach proved last year that he does good with mental reps. So let him observe Joe as long as Joe is killing it. Last year, Zach came back from injury and the game had slowed down for him (according to the coaches). 

• Upvote 3

sometimes i wonder if Saleh has any idea of what he is talking about. the quote that everybody loves to post here about when Zack is ready he is playing.... then the next day he leaves it open to start Flacco when Zach is ready. did JD or Woody grab him and telling him stop guaranteeing Zach will play cause if Flacco wins or loses a close game and plays well we are not starting Zach the next week. 

this was a warning shot by the press. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right,  but I just think the easiest thing for Saleh to do is let it take care of itself. Play Flacco as long as the team is winning and move to Zach with a clean slate after a loss - chances are high you see Wilson @Pitt, home against Miami, or in GB, unless you really think we going on a huge winning streak with Flacco, which is a fun thought, but is not exactly the most likely scenario in the world. 

you dont need a huge winning streak. he beats CINCY and Pitt thats 3-1. a loss to Mia is 3-2. the season is still alive then. you give him the GB game and if some crazy win happens and were 4-2 i wont be the only crazy guy talking playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree.  Not sure how you explain to the locker room you're making a QB switch if the team is winning...

I feel like we witnessed this last year, and perhaps even with McCown and Darnold. I agree, but coach do stupid things…

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Yes.

Additionally, Zach is learning from watching Joe. Joe didn't know the offense last year when he was thrown in there. Now he does, and Zach proved last year that he does good with mental reps. He came back from injury and the game had slowed down for him (according to the coaches). 

it slowed down too much. he forget how to throw deep. i hope he is watching Flacco throw 30 yd darts all over cause thats what a good QB can do. pick up chunks of yards real quick

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I want to see Zach play but it is a crap shoot.  Have no idea if he is going to be good or not.  At least with Flacco you know what he is.  Im conflicted cause I'd rather have wins then experiment but then again maybe this offense is designed for him and he lights it up.....so confused.  wish we could just have a do-over of pre season.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I want to see Zach play but it is a crap shoot.  Have no idea if he is going to be good or not.  At least with Flacco you know what he is.  Im conflicted cause I'd rather have wins then experiment but then again maybe this offense is designed for him and he lights it up.....so confused.  wish we could just have a do-over of pre season.

it wouldnt have mattered. Zach would still be the #1 cause of his draft status

54 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Easy, Zach is our QB moving forward.

It's not like he dominated the last 2 games. He was stellar at the end of the game against the Browns.

If Flacco beats the Bengals, I'd be very surprised if Zach doesn't have a "setback" ahead of the Steelers game.  Saleh and JD have to win games first and foremost.  Not sure they'd be willing to chance benching a hot Flacco for Wilson based on the long term good of the team...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, David Harris said:

no good reason to start Joe over Zach. 

This year is about progress. Flacco is a hold the fort guy. It’s Frank Gore over Michael Carter in a  lost season. 

we are 1-1. the season isnt lost yet. 

but you do admit its probably a lost season with Zach so why rush to losing? is 14 games not enough for Zach? so if he got 12 games are you going to say at the end of the year... damm if i only had 2 more games i could telling if Zach is the guy.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, doitny said:

oh come on Slim, you know thats true. last year they brought in a guy who never played a NFL down and this year Flacco. this isnt our first Rodeo these high draft picks always play from the start in year 2. 

I legit didn’t know what “Zach would be the number 1 cause of his draft status” meant 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Only Jets fans would give up the potential of sustained success for a couple wins. 

Scenario A 

Wilson comes in and sh*ts the bed, we find out what he is quickly, we get a great high pick and get another QB ala the Rosen to Murray effect. 

Scenario B

Wilson comes in and plays lights out, problem solved. 

Scenario C

Flacco starts and wins a couple games but ultimately sh*ts the bed and takes us nowhere, keeps us in the middle of the pack/draft. We are stuck with Zach but didnt give him the ball to truly see what he is.

Scenario D

Flacco takes us to the Superbowl. This will never happen so its irrelevant. 

Realistically, there are very few other options.

Scenario E

Flacco gets hurt and goes out, White comes in and begins his attempt at INT record and gets pulled and cut, Zach comes back and gets hurt, Strev comes in and puts up the cinderella story season and wins the superbowl

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Scenario E

Flacco gets hurt and goes out, White comes in and begins his attempt at INT record and gets pulled and cut, Zach comes back and gets hurt, Strev comes in and puts up the cinderella story season and wins the superbowl

That's my preferred scenario but I kept it to the 4 most likely. 

• Haha 1