We just need Zach to be average..

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

The reason this offense has been able to function is Flacco hasn’t turned the ball over much. 1 pick in 100 pass attempts. All we need is a QB who isn’t a turnover machine and the rest will work itself out.

Puttin' the whammy on the old man, are you? 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

If the offensive talent on this team is as good as what many of us think it can be.  We’re obviously not there yet on both fronts but
1. Wilson & Carter are jumping off the screen
2. Moore is getting open (a time bomb that might explode tomorrow)
3. Davis & Berrios are talented compliments that can easily win matchups as opponents  pick their poison
4. Hall is quietly becoming dangerous.  His 20+ yard run against the Browns was the perfect balance of vision, patience, and explosiveness
5. A deep group of tight ends will add an element we haven’t had for over a decade or 2
6. Yes, the OLine has started shaky but Mitchell has been a revelation / should only get better & AVT is establishing himself as one of the top guards in football.  Tomlinson will be fine and McGovern is at least an average starting center.  I actually worry most about Fant and hope Brown can make it back
JD has built a young but developing foundation that IMO has a real chance of becoming a top 10 unit with middle of the road QB play, assuming we can finally keep injuries down.
That’s all we need #2 draft pick, next in line franchise savior Zach to be..  

perfect post - sorry all the obnoxious jet baiters will hate it but you are so correct - and i expect zw to be way above average - this offense and his skill set are made for each other

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If Zach winds up as average after being the #2 pick?  It will be regarded as another of this franchise's colossal failures.  If we truly just want an average QB, they should have used that pick more wisely and just taken a QB in the second round.

His skill set attributes are far far above “average”, and that’s why he was drafted so high.  If he can consistently translate those attributes to the field is another question, we don’t know yet.

But you saw them on display when he beat The Goat for 59:30.  Small sample size I know.  But at least we saw they were there.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

His skill set attributes are far far above “average”, and that’s why he was drafted so high.  If he can consistently translate those attributes to the field is another question, we don’t know yet.

But you saw them on display when he beat The Goat for 59:30.  Small sample size I know.  But at least we saw they were there.

"His skill set attributes are far far above “average”.   That's the party line.  And what Woody and especially JD are hanging their hats on.  So far, I haven't seen anything about Zach Wilson to get excited about.  IMO, he never becomes a Jet franchise QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If Zach winds up as average after being the #2 pick?  It will be regarded as another of this franchise's colossal failures.  If we truly just want an average QB, they should have used that pick more wisely and just taken a QB in the second round.

Like the Chargers in 2001 and Bengals in 2011?

17 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Average by definition would be the 16th best QB in the NFL 

Not sure that would be a colossal failure.  He should certainly be better than that, but colossal failure is a bit much.  Would put him around Cousins and Carr.

I expect much more from him - and you should expect that with #2....

The odds of finding the 16th best QB in the NFL in the 2nd round shrinks substantially.  You take your best shot at the best QB you can find and do everything to support him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

For Zach to be average would mean a huge jump in year 2 and 3.   Here's what the mean at 16 was in the NFL for QB's last year vs. Zach.  Granted he only played 13 games due to injury but you can pro-rate it out.  All things being equal Zach probably has 14 INT's and 11 to 12 TD's in a full season.   You can argue he might have been better statistically if he had played 17 games.  You can also argue sitting when he was playing badly skewed the stats the other way.  I don't think that's really important.  

QBR: 92.2  Zach 69.7

AYC: 7.2 Zach 5.3

Int: 14 Zach 11

TD: 21 Zach 9

Completion Percentage: 66.3 Zach 55.6

ATT: 516 Zach 383

YG: 231.8 Zah 179.5

Would love to see Zach get into the top 24 pro rated for the amount of games he plays this year and get to the top 16 next year.  

The only problem with the idea that a top 16 QB can lead the Jets to a championship is we have a top 3 QB in our division and the confrence is loaded with top QB's.  I can see a scenario where Zach is good but not good enough to get us into the playoffs.  The games against Miami this year are going to be a great benchmark for what we need frome the QB to get into the playoffs as a wild card team.

I think we really need Zach to develop into a top 10 QB or we probably shouldn't sign him to a second contract.  We might be better off if he's average to take the 5th year option and keep drafting QB's until we develop a top 10 NFL QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Average by definition would be the 16th best QB in the NFL 

Not sure that would be a colossal failure.  He should certainly be better than that, but colossal failure is a bit much.  Would put him around Cousins and Carr.

I expect much more from him - and you should expect that with #2....

The odds of finding the 16th best QB in the NFL in the 2nd round shrinks substantially.  You take your best shot at the best QB you can find and do everything to support him.

At the moment Davis Mills taken in the third round last year looks as good as any of last years drafted QB's.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

starts and end with offensive line play

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Very true, but this offense will continue to struggle, even with a good OL, if they're constantly giving the ball away. Has been an issue nearly every single year with this team for the past 20 years.

2017 we won 4 games but many Jets fans fell in love with Josh McCown that year. Not because he threw for 4000 yards but because he took care of the football and gave them a chance each week. That's all we need.

36 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That really wasn’t the forest thru the trees point.  That’s all we need him to be, doesn’t mean he cannot be more.  But he cannot be less.

I also don’t think it would be a colossal failure.  Hitting on franchise level QBs is a bit of luck (and sorry there were no Lucks when we were on the clock).  It might up to a 1/3 chance on getting one at that pick.  I mean we could go back and look at the stats.

Moving forward, not back at the 2021 draft with the benefit of hindsight, we need Zach to be at least an average starting NFL QB to take this offense to the top 10. 

53 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Should change thread title to "we just need fant and Tomlinson to be average"

Tomlinson is tracking to average by game 4 ;).

Fant on the other hand?  Maybe his knee is still bothering him?  But to be fair, one was a pro bowler last year and the other was a top 3 pass pro LT.  2 games is a small sample, we can get worried if they haven’t improved by game 5.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So you're suggesting that it's just as easy to find a good QB in the 3rd round as the 1st?

Depends on the draft class.  I think last year after Lawrence there was Zach, Mac, Lance,Fields and Davis.  Mac was more of a ready to play solid game manager with less athletic ability.  Fields and Lance were athletic freaks.  Lance was a huge project.  Fields less of a project.  Mills and Zach have similiar arm talent, similiar ability to move but Mills has a lot more size and played against better competition.   

I'm suggesting in last years draft class taking Zach at 2 and Lance at 3 were both unnecesary reaches.  If they work out it doesn't matter.  If they don't we left a lot of draft capital on the table.

Not all draft classes are the same.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

That’s asking a lot. He would have better luck coming up with the formula to create perpetual motion.

Perpetual motion? Psssss. Would have been impressive last year.  

@T0mShane has crossed the perpetual erection barrier.  Zach being great is now nothing.  So done deal.  Book it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

I think we legitimately need to take a deep breathe and give zach a chance. You're writing him off like it's ceiling is bum backup level.

He may ultimately not be the guy but can we at least see what he has without dreading his return? Seriously you guys have given me so much anxiety reading these posts about him. I, for one, am excited to see zach on the field as soon as possible. 

Exactly.  Let’s give the kid an actual chance 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Depends on the draft class.  I think last year after Lawrence there was Zach, Mac, Lance,Fields and Davis.  Mac was more of a ready to play solid game manager with less athletic ability.  Fields and Lance were athletic freaks.  Lance was a huge project.  Fields less of a project.  Mills and Zach have similiar arm talent, similiar ability to move but Mills has a lot more size and played against better competition.   

I'm suggesting in last years draft class taken Zach at 2 and Lance at 3 were both unnecesary reaches.  If they work out it doesn't matter.  If they don't we left a lot of draft capital on the table.

Not all draft classes are the same.  

No offense....But Comparing Zach to Mills as prospects is all I need to know from you.  

We can end any discussion from now on referencing Zach.  Just easier that way.

• Haha 1