MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Berrios squeezes that against Minnesota, Mike White would be Mickey Mantle right now. Instead, it’s “you know what zack wasn’t all that bad.” One catch.

It’s so true.  Let’s see how he does vs the lions at home.  If it’s another bears game, great.  If it’s another bills game, that’s concerning.  Amazing how much complaining there is with all the offensive stats and young guys playing well.  Moore and mims contributing, a rb out of nowhere playing very well, even with all the OL injuries.  Jets offense is very relevant this year, even with the losses.  We’re in every game which is something that hasn’t happened in over a decade and the players seem to believe it too.  What an opportunity for white to cement himself as the starter heading into 2023.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Berrios squeezes that against Minnesota, Mike White would be Mickey Mantle right now. Instead, it’s “you know what zack wasn’t all that bad.” One catch.

Right now he's still at least Roger Maris-one big season's event lands him in the Hall of Fame

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I am excited too. It’s fun to have games to care about. But I don’t see how over exaggerating Whites performance or gutsiness helps the Jets after losses. White coming back into the game has overshadowed the Jets losing…again.

There's never been a thread written, posted or re-posted that has ever "helped a team" after a loss

• Upvote 2

I am a Mike White guy, so take this from that perspective.  I am not particularly satisfied with White's performance against the Vikings or Bills.  I don't think it cements his status as starting QB next year, or even for the rest of 2022.  OTOH, I kept hearing that even though Zach sucked, that we saw these alleged "flashes" that showed us that he could be THE GUY.  I don't remember many.  IMO, Mike White showed just as many flashes in losing to the Bills and Vikings as I remember from Zach all year. I appreciate that White stands tall in the pocket, but worry about his durability.  OTOH, Wilson doesn't stand tall in the pocket and I worry about his durability.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

There's never been a thread written, posted or re-posted that has ever "helped a team" after a loss

After the Bears win they showed up in Mighty Ducks gear in Minnesota (where the movie was supposed to take place) and lost. It wasn’t very Parcells like, that’s all. Call me grumpy or old school or whatever…but if you do that you can’t lose two games in a row and not score touchdowns. Propping up White into something he isn’t yet (which is 100% happening) is an overall negative. Just win.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

Man, in August everyone in here would have stabbed a family friend for 7-6. Fickle bunch

A 5-2 start changes expectations.  2-4 in the last 6 is frustrating.  Good news is with 4 games left, the path may be tougher, but everything is still possible for this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

yes

But it shouldn’t have ever come down to that

All ML had to do was go heavy and call 4 straight run plays from inside the 5 yard line and they go home a winner

The Vikings defense had to be tired at that point

It’s not easy defending 4 short yardage plays in a row

LeFleur did them a favor by throwing the dumb fade on third down and then the botched 4th down play 

if you’re gonna throw the ball there, at least do something creative they’ll never expect like throwing the ball to an eligible tackle (TD pass to Duane Brown would have been awesome)

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am a Mike White guy, so take this from that perspective.  I am not particularly satisfied with White's performance against the Vikings or Bills.  I don't think it cements his status as starting QB next year, or even for the rest of 2022.  OTOH, I kept hearing that even though Zach sucked, that we saw these alleged "flashes" that showed us that he could be THE GUY.  I don't remember many.  IMO, Mike White showed just as many flashes in losing to the Bills and Vikings as I remember from Zach all year. I appreciate that White stands tall in the pocket, but worry about his durability.  OTOH, Wilson doesn't stand tall in the pocket and I worry about his durability.

I agree that some of what White is producing is disappointing, but you can see a lot of solid foundational pieces to his game that you can build on. The same analytics that say Zach can’t play look pretty good for White. I believe White is 12th in EPA and about that same range with EPA and CPOE. He has to refine a lot of things and learn how to live for the next down, but you can see the skillset of a pretty good QB prospect. 

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

yes

But it shouldn’t have ever come down to that

All ML had to do was go heavy and call 4 straight run plays from inside the 5 yard line and they go home a winner

The Vikings defense had to be tired at that point

It’s not easy defending 4 short yardage plays in a row

LeFleur did them a favor by throwing the dumb fade on third down and then the botched 4th down play 

if you’re gonna throw the ball there, at least do something creative they’ll never expect like throwing the ball to an eligible tackle (TD pass to Duane Brown would have been awesome)

Yep. It is wild that they don’t seem to have a short yardage package with White, which is funny because LaFleur always called run plays when Zach Wilson was in those goal to go situations. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

After the Bears win they showed up in Mighty Ducks gear in Minnesota (where the movie was supposed to take place) and lost. It wasn’t very Parcells like, that’s all. Call me grumpy or old school or whatever…but if you do that you can’t lose two games in a row and not score touchdowns. Propping up White into something he isn’t yet (which is 100% happening) is an overall negative. Just win.

You're right, maybe they should have just written something cool and put it on a headband instead, "I can throw 4 TD any season , time or place and maybe I can even get my buddy boy Braxton to also wear one we'd really look cool then"

6f372d8aa04025203d1a4c6be8a4f247.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If Berrios squeezes that pass against Minnesota, Mike White would be Mickey Mantle right now. Instead, it’s “you know what zack wasn’t all that bad.” One catch.

If the jets do not let the patriot run 85 yards for a game winning punt return td and manage to beat the pats zac wilson would still be the qb.  Once we start going down this 'if only player x y z did not drop a pass' we get into we should still have darnod territory.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets do not let the patriot run 85 yards for a game winning punt return td and manage to beat the pats zac wilson would still be the qb.  Once we start going down this 'if only player x y z did not drop a pass' we get into we should still have darnod territory.

But that's not true either Beerfish all that would have meant (had the obvious uncalled block in the back penalty been called) was that the game would have gone into overtime and THEN Zach would have finally figures it all out and driven the Jets 75 yards for a game winning drive in which he completed 7 of 7 passes for 65 yards and a TD- sorry for being sarcastic there bro but the truth of it is, I was begging Zach to PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, just complete a pass. he couldn't even do that. It was obviously time for him to go.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Zach did 3 things well (outside of the NE games) that made him more effective than his stats suggested. He was not taking sacks, not turning the ball over and was very good in the 4th quarter.

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

You're right, maybe they should have just written something cool and put it on a headband instead, "I can throw 4 TD any season , time or place and maybe I can even get my buddy boy Braxton to also wear one we'd really look cool then"

6f372d8aa04025203d1a4c6be8a4f247.jpeg

This isn’t a White vs Wilson thing for me. White is clearly the better QB.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is true. And I think it was what Zach was thinking when he made that terrible post game comment. It was 3-3.

Look Mike White should win or at the minimum score a lot of points on Detroit, Jax and Seattle. If he is still putting up less than 17 points I would say White is not the long term guy

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Zach was still putrid against the Pats, twice, regardless of whether or not the punt return happened. The benching of Zach Wilson was set in motion weeks prior when they bumped White up to #2. His receivers absolutely despised him.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Reminds me of when JJ Watt and the Texans showed up to Foxboro for a game all wearing High School style letterman jackets and proceeded to get the crap kicked out of them to the tune of 42-14.

I don't mind fun celebrations after a touchdown, sack, INT, etc.   I don't even mind that much all of the ridiculous first down pointing every single time someone gets a first, even though they're down 3 scores.

But these corny, off field, group type shenanigans are dumb and embarrassing.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You never used win loss record as a metric for judging QB’s last season. Wonder why. 

Nope, I agree.  Zach had bad statistics last year too - it was a bad year all around.  Losses and bad QB play - it was a bad team.  I think most all of us would agree.

This was a good team this year...We had bad QB play for 7 weeks, yet won.  And now we have great QB play but are losing. 

Win Loss record has nothing to do with the QB.  It's not really on him to win or lose with that position.  QB's are about statistic.  As long as they put up good statistic we as fans should be happy.  Eventually the team will get back to playing at a higher level - Especially understanding how much the team loves Mike White, I suspect that high level of play will come very soon and we'll start winning again. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Zach was still putrid against the Pats, twice, regardless of whether or not the punt return happened. The benching of Zach Wilson was set in motion weeks prior when they bumped White up to #2. His receivers absolutely despised him.

Yes, we know all of that, but it does not change my view of every thing is wilsons fault but lack of tds is not mike whites fault.

White should be the starter probably to the end of the year but two things.

1) Use the same metrics to paint a picture of both QBs.  (I am not pointing this one particularly at you but at many people on here who cant stand wilson but love white.)

2) If Mike White takes over a team fairly solidly in a playoff spot and the team ends up floundering out of contention, i could care less how many yards he puts up or how much the team loves him i am looking for someone else next year to at least seriously compete with wilson and white.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, we know all of that, but it does not change my view of every thing is wilsons fault but lack of tds is not mike whites fault.

White should be the starter probably to the end of the year but two things.

1) Use the same metrics to paint a picture of both QBs.  (I am not pointing this one particulalry at you but at many people on here who cant stand wilson but love white.)

2) If Mike White takes over a team fairly solidly in a playoff spot and the team ends up floundering out of contention, i could care less how many yards he puts up or how much the team loves him i am looking for someone else next year to at least seriously compete with wilson and white.

I’m the biggest Mike White homer on the planet and even I’ve never said that everything is Zach’s fault/Nothing is Mike White’s fault. I don’t know anyone who has. Clearly, Mike White has to start turning all these yards into TDs and they need to do a better job converting in short yardage and on third down. If White has that in his bag, we’re going to be in great shape because he seems to have most everything else in order. If he doesn’t have anything else to offer, we’re ****ed because Zach stinks and Carr stinks and Garoppolo is going to be a bad bet for what he’ll be asking. 

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Zach did 3 things well (outside of the NE games) that made him more effective than his stats suggested. He was not taking sacks, not turning the ball over and was very good in the 4th quarter.

Agreed, that he has avoided turnovers.  But he has been sacked on 7.8% of his dropbacks this year (16 in 205 dropbacks).  More than Flacco (6%) and more than twice White's sack rate (5 sacks in 135 dropbacks -- 3.7%).  7.8% is 11th highest rate in the league.  White's 3.7%, 3rd lowest in the league if he had enough passes to qualify.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Reminds me of when JJ Watt and the Texans showed up to Foxboro for a game all wearing High School style letterman jackets and proceeded to get the crap kicked out of them to the tune of 42-14.

I don't mind fun celebrations after a touchdown, sack, INT, etc.   I don't even mind that much all of the ridiculous first down pointing every single time someone gets a first, even though they're down 3 scores.

But these corny, off field, group type shenanigans are dumb and embarrassing.

FWIW, it was Uzomah’s idea. Agreed that you can’t do that sh*t and lose, though. Win, then do the corny sh*t

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed, that he has avoided turnovers.  But he has been sacked on 7.8% of his dropbacks this year (16 in 205 dropbacks).  More than Flacco (6%) and more than twice White's sack rate (5 sacks in 135 dropbacks -- 3.7%).  7.8% is 11th highest rate in the league.  White's 3.7%, 3rd lowest in the league if he had enough passes to qualify.

I’ve seen that mentioned in a few places, that Zach “avoids sacks.” I think people have that impression because Zach faced a lot of pressures (36% of his dropbacks) because he held the ball so long, so fans give him extra credit for mostly negating problems that he, himself, created in the first place. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree.  He has been very good between the 20s, but he has to find ways to finish drives.   You can complain about the playcalling, the Berrios drop, but the QB needs to find a way to finish drives.  He had to find a way to win that Minnesota game.  That one will haunt me if we are sitting at home on wild card weekend.

1 for 2 against Buffalo in the redzone isn't bad as a percent -- it was really the two turnovers that killed us in the second half.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve seen that mentioned in a few places, that Zach “avoids sacks.” I think people have that impression because Zach faced a lot of pressures (36% of his dropbacks) because he held the ball so long, so fans give him extra credit for mostly negating problems that he, himself, created in the first place. 

That's the clear difference with White and Zach. Zach holds on to the ball hoping something opens up. Then bailing and scrambling around when he shouldn't. 

White dumps it off immediately when something isn't there (sometimes a little too quickly).

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even though I agree that he creates those problems, he is good at escaping the rush.  But I can't think of a "signature play" where he avoided a heavy rush and then made a big play.  I remember a lot of throws out-of-bounds.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And sometimes when he has avoided sacks, running around like a chicken with his head cut off in the pocket, he has ended up throwing picks.  I think he has thrown two when trying to throw the ball away.  Good QBs avoid sacks, keep their eyes downfield and make plays.  When Zach avoids sacks, more often than not it is to throw the ball away and he does not always do that well.

• Upvote 1