MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This all day.

An argument could be made that an excessive amount (or even majority) of his INTs were also Zach's horrid attempt to avoid a sack. The amount of times that kid just chucked the ball to the defense was insane. Add that to the number of sacks that would end up being 10 yard losses because of his inexplicable need to run BACKSWARDS. 

Zach's mobility was fantastic and most definitely some MW lacks but the value of his "escapability" is often greatly exaggerated, imo 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just another in a long line of metrics people twist because they love Mike White and hate Zac Wilson.  Zac Wilson is more mobile, avoids sacks and big pressure better, end of story.  Just like Zac Wilson is very good at avoiding turnovers, he does not have an interception problem he is very good at not fumbling.

Zach been sacked on 7.8% of his drop backs, which is 23rd in the league among qualified QBs.  White has been sacked 3.7% of his drop backs, which would be 3rd in the league if he had enough drop back to qualify.  Zach also takes more sacks than Flacco (6%) which would rank 13th.

WIlson is more mobile and more athletic, and he has avoided turnovers, but he takes twice as many sacks as White.  On the other hand, I think White's lack of mobility has really hurt the offense in the red zone -- and I think that was one of the reasons for the struggles in Minnesota.  Go empty with Zach in the red zone, the defense has to account for the potential QB run.  Go empty with White and you only need to defend the pass.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sauce can be a Revis and Garrett Wilson can be davonte Adams but without QB and LT none of that matters 

The line by the way was not just bad luck it was bad drafting and mediocre signings 

There is an element of truth to this. I know anyone can play Monday morning QB, but some of us (including me) wanted Wirfs instead of Becton in 2020. As good as AVT has been, I though the Jets should have stayed put with their original draft picks and chosen Darrisaw. Had the Jets done that, they would have 2 young studs at tackle along with retaining the picks they used to trade up for AVT. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Qbs are drafted based on ceiling, but get to play based on floor.

I wish the Jets had taken this approach. Drafting a project is fine — I would’ve have used a #2 overall but that’s the past — but the failure to have a legitimate plan B was inexcusable. Jets stepped in sh*t with Sir White, thank God.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I wish the Jets had taken this approach. Drafting a project is fine — I would’ve have used a #2 overall but that’s the past — but the failure to have a legitimate plan B was inexcusable. Jets stepped in sh*t with Sir White, thank God.

I have a theory that JD didn’t make this pick. It was all being pushed by Woody Johnson and he had final say.

https://pagesix.com/2021/05/02/jets-owner-woody-johnsons-son-takes-part-in-nfl-draft/

I mean, JD just drafted the OROY/DROY in the same draft. He’s really gonna swing and miss this badly on the #2 QB pick? I guess, yeah, it’s possible … but Flacco & MW are the kind of QB JD clearly prefers. Pocket passers. ZW is nothing like those two guys so you’re inherently creating an issue that the offense is gonna have to change so much if the first option (ZW) has to sit. It makes no sense  

Why did we draft him, really? I think the dots are there to be connected. 

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

I have a theory that JD didn’t make this pick. It was all being pushed by Woody Johnson and he had final say.

https://pagesix.com/2021/05/02/jets-owner-woody-johnsons-son-takes-part-in-nfl-draft/

I mean, JD just drafted the OROY/DROY in the same draft. He’s really gonna swing and miss this badly on the #2 QB pick? I guess, yeah, it’s possible … but Flacco & MW are the kind of QB JD clearly prefers. Pocket passers. ZW is nothing like those two guys so you’re inherently creating an issue that the offense is gonna have to change so much if the first option (ZW) has to sit. It makes no sense  

Why did we draft him, really? I think the dots are there to be connected. 

It is weird that JD has built a team tailor made for a totally different type of QB. This offense was built from ground up for a steady-Eddie type.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DireJet said:

I never want to hear a Jets scout use the words “off platform” or “arm angle” ever again. 

What a colossal joke this is. Our #2 overall pick from a season ago is a healthy scratch every week in the middle of the franchise’s first playoff race in a decade. Truly embarrassing stuff — even for the JETS. 

Shoulda Josh Rosen'd him.  That would have been less embarrassing.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

But he lost therefore backwards Johnny with the dreamy spin moves against air is better 

I wish I was better at editing video because I want to put a supercut together of players and analysts around the league saying, disgustedly, that they wouldn’t even make Zach Wilson the #2 this week. Whatever Zach did has made him an absolute pariah.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wish I was better at editing video because I want to put a supercut together of players and analysts around the league saying, disgustedly, that they wouldn’t even make Zach Wilson the #2 this week. Whatever Zach did has made him an absolute pariah.

If he wants to get some cred back he should ditch the headband, get some piercings and a new haircut and make his return like so:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

If he wants to get some cred back he should ditch the headband, get some piercings and a new haircut and make his return like so:

Too late.

Cracked ribs/mangled spleen Mike White just took disadvantaged kids on a shopping spree in Brooklyn Tuesday night. Sitcom writers couldn’t create such a beautiful story arc if they tried. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Too late.

Cracked ribs/mangled spleen Mike White just took disadvantaged kids on a shopping spree in Brooklyn Tuesday night. Sitcom writers couldn’t create such a beautiful story arc if they tried. 

Mike White is Disney. BYU is an Eastern Europe knock off VHS tape of “Frozen” staring actual frozen peasants.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

All we needed from Zach was middle of the pack QB play, an easy accomplishment according to many this past offseason due to his “excellent” play down the stretch last year. Instead he turns into JaMarcus Russell. Pathetic.

Zoomer Blaine Gabbert

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even Mike Greenberg seems to think that there is something down below that nobody knows about that Zach Wilson has done or said to make him a persona non grata in that locker room amongst his teammates. This is something so egregious that we may never find out what it is until he's OFF the Jets or out of the league altogether.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

As good as AVT has been, I though the Jets should have stayed put with their original draft picks and chosen Darrisaw. Had the Jets done that, they would have 2 young studs at tackle along with retaining the picks they used to trade up for AVT. 

This is pretty absurd.  AVT was arguably our MVP this year up until the point he got hurt, and its evidenced by how bad the OL has been since he went down.  

There is an element of truth to this. I know anyone can play Monday morning QB, but some of us (including me) wanted Wirfs instead of Becton in 2020. As good as AVT has been, I though the Jets should have stayed put with their original draft picks and chosen Darrisaw. Had the Jets done that, they would have 2 young studs at tackle along with retaining the picks they used to trade up for AVT. 

I was done for Wirfs too, strangely based on ceiling which seems counter to everyone else.  He traded up a bunch and they seem like hits (AVT, Breece Hall, guess the jury is still out on JJ). It seems eerily close to Tannenbaum moving up for Revis and Harris.  I like what Douglas has done, but the targeting guys high is a bit on the scary side.  I'd feel much more comfortable if he'd waited and taken the right guys.  I bets some would have dropped.  Unbelievably, he seems to have done even worse at QB than Tanny.

For those that want to blame the Johnsons for Wilson, maybe you should check the 2020 draft.  Douglas is not above missing on a draft pick.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The more football I watch I’m a helluva lot more interested in a QB’s floor than ceiling. 

I read something recently, I wish I could take credit for it but I can’t …” A powerball ticket has a much higher ceiling than a vested Pension , which one would you rather have “? Lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DireJet said:

I never want to hear a Jets scout use the words “off platform” or “arm angle” ever again. 

What a colossal joke this is. Our #2 overall pick from a season ago is a healthy scratch every week in the middle of the franchise’s first playoff race in a decade. Truly embarrassing stuff — even for the JETS. 

Yeah cool like after intangibles became a bad thing during the pennington debate 

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I read something recently, I wish I could take credit for it but I can’t …” A powerball ticket has a much higher ceiling than a vested Pension , which one would you rather have “? Lol 

Lol clever better than what I’ve said — yes it’s possible to win the lottery but only an idiot would cash out their 401k for tickets!

Sure, but there were a lot of us who also liked Becton over Wirfs because LT > RT and Becton did have a very promising rookie season, so some of this is revisionist history.  And I'm quite confident but havent confirmed this but Bit was defending the OL last year (rightfully so) and it's the same unit w/ supposed upgrades (before injuries) so I think this conversation is a bit dramatic, nobody was complaining about the OL when they were healthy and mashing for Hall.  They're banged up and had a bad game vs. a good Buffalo team, it happens but acting like last week is a reflection of their entire performance this year again is just recency reactionary stuff.  A few weeks ago we're praising the job JD did on the OL w/ the depth he's created, so dont get carried w/ one of Bit's passionate misplaced takes, there a treasure, for sure but be careful! 

• Upvote 2

In re: the discussion regarding mobility:

The mobile and elusive Zach Wilson has been sacked 16 times in 2023, for a sacked percentage of 7.8%

The immobile statue Mike White has been sacked 5 times in 2023, for a sacked percentage of 3.7%

All data courtesy of Pro Football Reference (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2022.htm)

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Zach been sacked on 7.8% of his drop backs, which is 23rd in the league among qualified QBs.  White has been sacked 3.7% of his drop backs, which would be 3rd in the league if he had enough drop back to qualify.  Zach also takes more sacks than Flacco (6%) which would rank 13th.

WIlson is more mobile and more athletic, and he has avoided turnovers, but he takes twice as many sacks as White.  On the other hand, I think White's lack of mobility has really hurt the offense in the red zone -- and I think that was one of the reasons for the struggles in Minnesota.  Go empty with Zach in the red zone, the defense has to account for the potential QB run.  Go empty with White and you only need to defend the pass.

Yeah watching Wilson run backwards all those times was amazing

• Haha 2