Saleh needs to be praised

NOSIDE

3 minutes ago, NOSIDE said:

As much as I hope Zach can be salvaged, it takes some balls to bench the number 2 pick overall. Keyshawn said on his KJM podcast that he heard White was better in minicamp and training camp- but the coaching staff didn’t want the ownership to “look bad”.  The jets finally have adults in the room leading 

not only did he bench Zach- the number 2 overall pick, he also benched a healthy Robinson (who we traded draft capital for) for Bam, based on “running style”. These moves take balls and confidence. Love how he’s coaching the team!

I think there were a few layers to Knight starting over Robinson. Jeff Smith being inactive left a hole on specials.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh does deserve praise. Benching the number 2 pick also makes his OC kinda look like he cant develop a young QB and im sure JD wasnt happy about it. But COACH made the call! 

I'm all in on Saleh after this week

It was JD's call, Saleh reports to JD now...hence the meetings last week. JD reports to the Owners.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm not confident that this was Saleh's call.  And even if he wanted to bench ZW, I would think it would require approval from JD, at a minimum. 

But I think Saleh deserves praise anyway for the way this team has played.  I have to admit I was really starting to question him after he made the "receipts" comment.  He also had some comment after last season ended about how the path forward is "crystal clear" (something like that).  It felt like he was trying to sell us on hype rather than on-field results.

Words are easy.  Good results, not so much.  This year, he's gotten us good results.  And even in the losses, he's had us competing hard (especially that 2nd Patriots' game).  It feels like, every week, this team has come to play.

And I definitely owe Ulbrich an apology.  I felt like he was in over his head.  After we lost 54-13 to the Patriots, he said something about it never happening again. But we got blown out multiple times after that and our defense was an abomination overall.  This year, though, they've been terrific and he absolutely deserves his share of the credit.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh does deserve praise. Benching the number 2 pick also makes his OC kinda look like he cant develop a young QB and im sure JD wasnt happy about it. But COACH made the call! 

That is one way of looking at it...

But we all know that isn't reality...

Sometimes it's about the player being developed not the Coach or CS developing them.

Just like Belichick is struggling to find a QB to replace Brady, is Belichick and his staff suddenly unable to develop players?

• Upvote 4

Yes.

Also probably could have won us the Pats game by going to White sooner.

Also worried about his rhetoric after the game, he was eager to play down White’s performance. We’ll see where he goes if White hits a speed bump - I think he should stick with him regardless.

He deserves credit for taking a stand for the team but we’ll see if he keeps this up.

• Upvote 4

Herm Edwards with big praise for him this morning on ESPN radio. He’s the only guy on ESPN that I’ve heard not knock him for benching Zach. Keyshawn was trying to question Saleh and Herm shut it down. He thinks Saleh made the right decision and thinks White should be the starter even if he stumbles a bit. The locker room believes in White and that cannot be ignored os what Herm said.

He said this will test Zach. Zach can earn the trust of his teammates again by working every day.

Saleh with the big boy decision.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Herm Edwards with big praise for him this morning on ESPN radio. He’s the only guy on ESPN that I’ve heard not knock him for benching Zach. Keyshawn was trying to question Saleh and Herm shut it down. He thinks Saleh made the right decision and thinks White should be the starter even if he stumbles a bit. The locker room believes in White and that cannot be ignored os what Herm said.

He said this will test Zach. Zach can earn the trust of his teammates again by working every day.

Saleh with the big boy decision.

you mean the guy who most famous saying was

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Salehs demeanor and approach this year seems a lot more mature. He still brings great energy but he looks so much more in control than he did a year ago.  I also like that he’s not getting too high after wins or too low.  He really seems to have a great balance of winning attributes and not sure I totally saw that a year ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, NOSIDE said:

As much as I hope Zach can be salvaged, it takes some balls to bench the number 2 pick overall. Keyshawn said on his KJM podcast that he heard White was better in minicamp and training camp- but the coaching staff didn’t want the ownership to “look bad”.  The jets finally have adults in the room leading 

not only did he bench Zach- the number 2 overall pick, he also benched a healthy Robinson (who we traded draft capital for) for Bam, based on “running style”. These moves take balls and confidence. Love how he’s coaching the team!

This was Woody Johnson saying that zach cannot start... As much as I love Saleh and praise him for his composure... He cannot sit Zach without Woody... It's not a story yet... But again Woody was at Foxborough and embarrassed, he needed to sit... This is why Saleh was 2 hours late on Monday presser

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 2

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what happened at that meeting that took so long he was so late for the press. if everybody was on the same page why did it take so long? somebody must have been fighting to keep Zach as the starter. question is who? we will probably never know

I'm gona assume its the guy who drafted him. 

COACH stook strong and said no. We need to win. 

Just now, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

This was Woody Johnson saying that zach cannot start... As much as I love Saleh and praise him for his composure... He cannot sit Zach without Woody... It's not a story yet... But again Woody was at Foxborough and embarrassed, he needed to sit... This is why Saleh was 2 hours late on Monday presser

Link? 
Otherwise it's just an overblown assumption/guess without any support.  But thanks for your guess.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what happened at that meeting that took so long he was so late for the press. if everybody was on the same page why did it take so long? somebody must have been fighting to keep Zach as the starter. question is who? we will probably never know

I think it was probably more of a PR discussion.

How to frame it, what words to use? figure out answers to the tough questions before they are asked.

Even to be prepared for questions like, will Zach be inactive or back up.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Just wait... The story will come out... You can brush me off all you want.. 

Also, Saleh didn't want Wilson... He actually wanted JD to trade for Russell Wilson but Denver outbid them when they lost out on Aaron Rodgers... Bet you didn't know that... 

Dodged a huge bullet there

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think, if anything, the history of the offensive success of the Jets when they're being led by anybody not named Zach Wilson has proven that Wilson didn't hold up his end of the bargain and his poor play has nothing to do with the Coaching staff. At what point do you hold the player accountable for not knowing the offense? Mike White has had the same amount of time to learn the system and started 15 less games yet looks light years more prepared and comfortable running the offense. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Just wait... The story will come out... You can brush me off all you want.. 

so what's your reason/evidence for claiming this?  Do you not think Saleh has the authority to decide who starts?  Obviously, you've heard something that we have not.  Otherwise this is just a pure guess.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Also, Saleh didn't want Wilson... He actually wanted JD to trade for Russell Wilson but Denver outbid them when they lost out on Aaron Rodgers... Bet you didn't know that... 

Link?  Support?  Evidence?

or just more conjecture?  Again.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not sure if this makes the OC look bad. look at White.

he spent one year in Dallas (2018) and has been with us since they cut him in preseason (sept 2019).

so who develop White? Gase? he couldnt do anything with Sam. MLF? he is not doing anything with Zach.

i think this develop stuff is BS. you either got it or dont. 

Saleh talked about this. Roster related stuff is Saleh’s decision with inout from Joe Douglas. Woody lets Saleh and Joe Douglas make decisions. So he likely was just informed.

When it comes to the player acquisitions, Joe Douglas makes the decision with inout from Saleh.

People are making too much about who makes what decision though. Saleh and Joe Douglas are partners and are in locked step.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Wrong. JD assembles the roster. COACH has full discretion of how to utilize the roster. It was NOT JDs call

They had meetings last Monday in regards to this, Saleh needed to sell it JD. Pretty sure that wasn't a hard sell. JD sold it ownership. There are financial ramifications for benching Zach. The Chain of Command changed when JD was hired, HC > GM > Owners.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not sure if this makes the OC look bad. look at White.

he spent one year in Dallas (2018) and has been with us since they cut him in preseason (sept 2019).

so who develop White? Gase? he couldnt do anything with Sam. MLF? he is not doing anything with Zach.

i think this develop stuff is BS. you either got it or dont. 

Saleh talked about this. Roster related stuff is Saleh’s decision with input from Joe Douglas. Woody lets Saleh and Joe Douglas make decisions. So he likely was just informed.

When it comes to the player acquisitions, Joe Douglas makes the decision with input from Saleh. Joe D has mentioned this in the past also.

People are making too much about who makes what decision though. Saleh and Joe Douglas are partners and are in locked step.

• Upvote 1