Whatever happens........

English Jet

2 hours ago, English Jet said:

........over the next 2 weeks I think this year can be classed as a success (for progression at least). Beginning of the season, everyone would love us to be in this position.  The injuries have hurt us,but we are still within a chance of play offs. QB position still very much in the air, but still within a chance of play offs. Who'd have thought that!

Next year could be a very good year for the Jets!! Injuries and sorting out the key position permitting.

Just don’t understand how people are happy with this season as of now. 

You realize 75 percent of the league is still alive right? It’s not really much of an accomplishment. In addition Zach Wilson completely fizzled out. I’d much rather be eliminated at 6-9 with an answer at QB than 7-8 with a black hole at QB. 

It’s clear Douglas has improved the talent on the team, but another year with Saleh could set this team back a while. Every player this coach touches gets worse under him and his merry crew. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Sure you can.

When you lose your two best players on offense, your offense regresses. The team is leaps and bounds better, but we're still lacking some depth. We're simply not good enough to recover from those injuries. We generally have solid performances on D, with a decent oline (anchored by AVT), and a fantastic run game (with Breece as RB1). When AVT and Breece went down, the season was over. It's that simple.

We were simply not good enough on the oline to overcome losing AVT (McG played well, Brown / Fant / Herbig / Mitchell have had good and bad games, and Tomlinson has been bad), And MC as Bam are not Breece. We become a unidimensional team, which makes it much easier for defenses to play us. And yet we've still competed with the likes of the Bills and Vikes. We've been in those games until the end.

And, before you reiterate the point, there are always injuries. But not all injuries are equal. If Tomlinson had been hurt instead of AVT, I think the line holds up well for most of the season. GWilson getting hurt is much worse than Corey Davis getting hurt (again). Sauce going down is much worse than Echols getting hurt. There can be a next man up mentality, we're just not there yet. I think we have a strong starting line up, but not enough behind just yet.

Well, I was expecting a 5.5 win season. We are much better than that.

Our two offensive stars are coming back, and hopefully Zach is about 3 miles away from the football field (unless some offseason miracle occurs and he remembers how to throw).

Make sure to tell JD next time you chat with him at Metlife.

You essentially dedicated 3 paragraphs to me trying to hypothesize that off breece and avt don’t get hurt we are magically better with wins and loses. Maybe, maybe not. 

Eventually you need to show tangible results in wins and playoff appearances. Another year of not doing that is going to sting.

7-4 is something that we may not have again next year. It was a missed opportunity. Like I said someone else will get hurt in 23. It’s the nfl. Assuming we will be 7-4 again entering. December in 23 is foolish. 

Also we have no idea who is starting QB for us in Sep 23. Not good 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

NOPE. You can't be 6-3 at the BYE, enter December 7-4 and miss the playoffs in an expanded 7th seed NFL playoff system. 

ALOT depends on the next two weeks, if we lose to Seattle that be the 5th straight and 3rd straight to a sub 500 team. It actually tell me we are not nearly as good as we think we are and has me nervous for 23. 

No way I call this season a success if we lose the next 2. Not a chance

Unless you are accepting of mediocrity and losing. I am 100% with you and would stand right there with you if JD bent you into that pretzel and re-bend HIM into a pretzel for his crappy handling of the OL, QB, 2020 draft among other phopas. JD's the guy getting a hard pass from the fans where he is equally as complicit for this failure as Saleh & Co are. I totally expect losses in the next 2 games for a stellar 7-10 finish to what once was a promising season, and sorry to say, SOJ.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

You essentially dedicated 3 paragraphs to me trying to hypothesize that off breece and avt don’t get hurt we are magically better with wins and loses. Maybe, maybe not. 

Eventually you need to show tangible results in wins and playoff appearances. Another year of not doing that is going to sting.

7-4 is something that we may not have again next year. It was a missed opportunity. Like I said someone else will get hurt in 23. It’s the nfl. Assuming we will be 7-4 again entering. December in 23 is foolish. 

Also we have no idea who is starting QB for us in Sep 23. Not good 

Joe Douglas fiasco or not, he’s right. Especially that a last part.

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

Yeah, agree.  Devastating to the moment and culture they're building but I think they can recover.  This season was all about finding out what they had in Zach, and now they know.  So I think the confidence is that they're a QB away from true contenders, has to be something.

I never buy into the “find out what they have” as like an entire seasons worth of investment or progress.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Unless you are accepting of mediocrity and losing. I am 100% with you and would stand right there with you if JD bent you into that pretzel and re-bend HIM into a pretzel for his crappy handling of the OL, QB, 2020 draft among other phopas. JD's the guy getting a hard pass from the fans where he is equally as complicit for this failure as Saleh & Co are. I totally expect losses in the next 2 games for a stellar 7-10 finish to what once was a promising season, and sorry to say, SOJ.

Everyone here is accepting of mediocrity and losing.   We all cheer for the Jets year after year.

Truth is, if Mike White plays like we all hope he can, and we win out and make the POs, with this defense we could actually win the AFC.

Good QB, good running game, great WRs, and a top Defense. All these items travel very well. The same ingredients took the 9-7 G-men to 2 superbowls, winning all their games on the road both times. They were heavy underdogs in every game, but their defense took care of business.

Oh, and the same ingredients took rookies Rex Ryan and Nacho to the AFCCG in '09.

So if there's ANY fan base with reason to believe, it's this fan base.

Our turn! 

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we lose out, then no. It would 100% be an epic collapse going from a winnable Pats matchup to take control of the division, to basically losing out and having zero QBs on the roster.

Did anyone really think we had a QB entering the season?

It would be a horrible reflection on Saleh if a team that showed it can compete loses 6 straight to end the season but they’re still well ahead of where I was expecting them to be this time of the year.

I don’t think any drastic changes are coming to the staff regardless of what happens the next two games.

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I never buy into the “find out what they have” as like an entire seasons worth of investment or progress.

Sure, agreed, neither of us would put their team in that position but the Jets did and it's not like we have a choice as fans, we just gotta roll w/ it.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

QB1 is the second most important thing to address this offseason, second only to OL. 

The reason I prioritize OL over QB ?  Because without a dominant OL, the running game struggles as well as passing game.

I don't care if every goddam pick in this draft is OL .. this is the priority.

Post of the year.

7 hours ago, English Jet said:

........over the next 2 weeks I think this year can be classed as a success (for progression at least). Beginning of the season, everyone would love us to be in this position.  The injuries have hurt us,but we are still within a chance of play offs. QB position still very much in the air, but still within a chance of play offs. Who'd have thought that!

Next year could be a very good year for the Jets!! Injuries and sorting out the key position permitting.

if I had a dime for every time I have heard this I would have over 5 bucks

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Did anyone really think we had a QB entering the season?

It would be a horrible reflection on Saleh if a team that showed it can compete loses 6 straight to end the season but they’re still well ahead of where I was expecting them to be this time of the year.

I don’t think any drastic changes are coming to the staff regardless of what happens the next two games.

Are you new here?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Great so the Jets get a satisfactory C+ grading then.   No over achieving.

Yourself and a few others need to read the OP again. The key points were progression and that they are in position to make the playoffs this late in the season makes it a success based on expectations at the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone can argue these points from the OP

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The mission was to answer the Zach Question and develop some talent in the meantime. By that measure, it’s been a huge success. Zach Wilson is definitively over, and they need a QB, so it wasn’t the answer they were hoping for (even if it was probably the answer they knew already).

I don’t think that “collapsing” is too big a deal because it was really about water finding its own level. Most of the “surprise!” first-half teams collapsed—Dolphins, Seahawks, Pats, Titans, Falcons, Giants, etc. Parity is a fun concept week to week, but ultimately the cream rises. 

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with something you posted, lol. Agree 100%. Well done.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Truth is, if Mike White plays like we all hope he can, and we win out and make the POs, with this defense we could actually win the AFC.

Good QB, good running game, great WRs, and a top Defense. All these items travel very well. The same ingredients took the 9-7 G-men to 2 superbowls, winning all their games on the road both times. They were heavy underdogs in every game, but their defense took care of business.

Oh, and the same ingredients took rookies Rex Ryan and Nacho to the AFCCG in '09.

So if there's ANY fan base with reason to believe, it's this fan base.

Our turn! 

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I genuinely don’t even think the people who believed in Zach really believed.

Some things are just too obvious. 

Oh they definitely did.  Or did you think people like fidelio rage quit the board as a joke or something?  

The Zach obsession was absurd.  Worse than the Darnold era, even, for no good reason.  Very weird, and those people should feel bad about it.  

I'm not really sure how any objective person can consider a season that ends with six losses in a row (and 8 out of the last 10) as a success.

This is a young team that should be trending up, not down. The fact is a decent percentage of their wins this season were against backup quarterbacks.

The next two weeks are huge for this team, playoffs or no playoffs. If they fold like a cheap suit, the future is not as bright as some may hope.

For some context, I always considered .500 or better as success this season. There was a poll on this site prior to the season starting which can demonstrate this position. I'm sorry, but 7-10 simply doesn't cut it, and it never did for me personally. Admittedly, there were a ton of posters here who had lower expectations for success.

keep it 100 no way GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

bottom line we were rocking just before the bye, and have blown chunks since then, we haven’t been blown out, we just suck, lifeless, & outcoached…  all the phases of the game have been mediocre, the D has been great, but it always seems like there’s that one play or drive… Hopefully the Great White Hope comes and helps us kick the shyte out of Seattle, but that will be tough… 

some progress for sure and number of wins, but we have regressed, we have a failure of a franchise quarterback, a coach that’s not blowing me away on game day, and offensive coach who is coaching scared, special teams that aren’t so special…injures as always

This year while encouraging on the defensive side, has been discouraging on the offensive side once Hall and AVT went down. It exposed the OL and the QB positions. Agree with @Dunnie, this offseason and draft is all about OL first. We need a line that can play together for 3-5 years, Hall will be good again, however it might take him till 2024 to be confident about his knee. I believe White is more than competent behind a very good OL. This allows us to not have to reach for a QB. A VET in FA, and drafting one till we get THE ONE !!!...