Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jimmy G came into the league the same year as Carr. He has finished a full season as a starter 1 time since then. Once.

Jimmy G is brittle as hell, however he is quite familiar with our coaching staff and system, and he was good enough to get his team all the way to the Super Bowl. I would not completely disregard him as a real option.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think he's the odds on favorite and I hate it.

I think he's not, because I think two things: 1) JD is neither inclined nor able to manage his cap with a big hit at QB; 2) both he and Saleh want to give Wilson one more crack at this thing. So, what I think will happen is that they will bring in a QB who's contract will not jeopardize their cap position going forward and someone they think they can win with if Zach is unable to beat him out. So, we're probably going to see Andy Daulton, Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, Teddy Bridgewater or Mike White redux on the roster next season to "compete" with Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think he's not, because I think two things: 1) JD is neither inclined nor able to manage his cap with a big hit at QB; 2) both he and Saleh want to give Wilson one more crack at this thing. So, what I think will happen is that they will bring in a QB who's contract will not jeopardize their cap position going forward and someone they think they can win with if Zach is unable to beat him out. So, we're probably going to see Andy Daulton, Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, Teddy Bridgewater or Mike White redux on the roster next season to "compete" with Wilson.

My opinion is that unless JD and/Saleh are getting contract extensions, which they aren't, they're going to need to make a move at QB that they're comfortable will give them a real shot at making the playoffs. I could be off on that, obviously.

• Upvote 4

I’m thinking carr is the favorite, b/c there will be desperation.  There’s no way they want wilson in there if they can avoid it and they can’t draft another guy to groom.  This franchise clearly can’t develop qbs, their coaches usually suck and until this year the weapons did too.  So their best bet is to hope douglas continues to improve at drafting and get a real veteran qb in here who can be average and the OL hangs together and they eke into the playoffs.  

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

My opinion is that unless JD and/Saleh are getting contract extensions, which they aren't, they're going to need to make a move at QB that they're comfortable will give them a real shot at making the playoffs. I could be off on that, obviously.

Yes, that’s probably plan A. 

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't hear enough from JD to form an opinion, but I do not get the impression that Saleh makes decisions base on external or internal pressure. He clearly has a philosophy and stays pretty true to it. I also think you ignore how difficult the Jet's cap situation is going forward and how a big QB contract makes it more than a nightmare.

• Upvote 1

I think we need to dispel this notion that the Jets are somehow "buyers" in the 2023 free agent QB market. That is unless the Jets cap situation going forward is somehow being inaccurately reported.

According to Sportrac, as it stands the Jets have $15.6 million in 2023 cap space with multiple expiring contracts to replace and Q to pay. Let's say they restructure Mosely and Uzomah and release Tomlinson and Davis, which frees up about $30.6 million putting them at at what would appear to be a comfortable $46.5 million in cap space. . But, not so fast, they still have to pay Q, and have a bunch of starting spots to fill because of expiring contracts and the players released --  C, G, WR, OLB, FS and K. 

As to Q, Aaron Donald and Chris jones have contracts with cap hits in excess of $25 million. So probably half, or if they get a "deal" from Q, almost half of that cap space is going to Q. But, let's be super unrealistically optimistic and say Q signs a contract with a $20 million cap hit. So, that leaves $26.5 and the Jets need to sign starters at C, G, WR, OLB, FS and K all while paying one of these established high end free agent QB's what exactly? 

Reality is where JD and Saleh live. And that reality does not include signing one of the high end free agent starters. It is also a window into their undying hope that they can make Zach Wilson into a starting QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

The jets need some stability at the QB position. Get a league average QB who can execute the offense and let the other skill position players develop. This should be a playoff team with a league average QB. While the vet is running the team the Jets should be trying to develop QBs who could eventually become franchise QB in the background (wilson, possibly draft Richardson, other young project Qb, etc.) If the team develops into a true super bowl contender and still does not have the GUY, push all the chips into the table and try to do a Stafford-like trade. 

Who is this league average QB though?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Carr and Jimmy G would fit the bill. Dalton,  Brisset and bridgewater would be a notch below in my opinion. 

The issue is that you’re not paying Carr to be a bridge QB. Maybe you could sell Garoppolo on it, but even he will be expensive.

Just now, T0mShane said:

The issue is that you’re not paying Carr to be a bridge QB. Maybe you could sell Garoppolo on it, but even he will be expensive.

The jets will lose out on carr b/c they won’t want to pay him much guaranteed money.  Can’t see them throwing a lot of money at jimmy g either, maybe a one year deal where he walks in as the starter until he gets hurt.  

The problem here is that as soon as the jets bring in someone like carr or jimmy g it’s the end of wilson here, he probably still won’t beat out white as the backup (you have to keep white b/c they’re not risking wilson coming in with jobs on the line) so wilson is deactivated all year until there’s injuries.  Are you going to have the cameras show him in baseball caps and winter hats all year walking aimlessly on the sidelines?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets will lose out on carr b/c they won’t want to pay him much guaranteed money.  Can’t see them throwing a lot of money at jimmy g either, maybe a one year deal where he walks in as the starter until he gets hurt.  

The problem here is that as soon as the jets bring in someone like carr or jimmy g it’s the end of wilson here, he probably still won’t beat out white as the backup (you have to keep white b/c they’re not risking wilson coming in with jobs on the line) so wilson is deactivated all year until there’s injuries.  Are you going to have the cameras show him in baseball caps and winter hats all year walking aimlessly on the sidelines?

Unless Wilson really shows out in Year 3 he will be on the outs. His 5th yr option has to be picked up at end of year 3. If he shows something he may be in a Daniel Jones situation at best. This means starter in year 4, FA year 5. 

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Unless Wilson really shows out in Year 3 he will be on the outs. His 5th yr option has to be picked up at end of year 3. If he shows something he may be in a Daniel Jones situation at best. This means starter in year 4, FA year 5. 

Yes, but then you’ve set him aside for an entire year where he won’t have played, and that can be a distraction and also submarine his value.  Of course his value keeps going lower each time he plays. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That is the key issue, bridge to what? Unless the team thinks Wilson is truly the future, which is very uncertain at best. The Qb we get may be needed for at least 2-3yrs if Jets have to start over at qb prospect.

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I agree completely. But I was kind of hoping that by year 3, we would be gunning for a division title and a deep playoff run, not scratching and clawing for a wildcard spot. 

I hear ya. Sitting @ 7-4, what you described seemed like the likely trajectory. Then the collapse...

Idk, excluding some Deus ex machina like Payton or Harbaugh, just bringing stability, continuity and competence to the quarterback position improves this team drastically.

We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Bridge to the next hc, next gm, next cycle of crap.

True, but the hope would be we can get a qb to at least make this team respectable and stabilize the organization. The perpetual cycle of tear down and regime change is not progress.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, Untouchable said:

Bottom line, you bring in Derek Carr and the Jets are a playoff team next year unless the OL just gets completely ravaged by injuries again.

Again, a QB like Carr is nothing to sneeze at.

You immediately gain a guy who is still only 31 and has repeatedly shown that he can complete 65% of his passes and give you 4,000+ through the air and 25+ TD’s a year in addition to being about as durable as they come at the position.

He’d immediately become the best QB the Jets have had since Namath and he’s young enough to be here for 5+ years.

A helluva lot worse options to hitch our wagon to. Like 90% of the alternatives being mentioned around here.

And who doesn't miss games because of injury Joe Douglas has yet to field a QB who can post even 10 TD passes a year 3 years running now. I forget what a TD pass looks like

On 1/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, Untouchable said:

Bottom line, you bring in Derek Carr and the Jets are a playoff team next year unless the OL just gets completely ravaged by injuries again.

Again, a QB like Carr is nothing to sneeze at.

You immediately gain a guy who is still only 31 and has repeatedly shown that he can complete 65% of his passes and give you 4,000+ through the air and 25+ TD’s a year in addition to being about as durable as they come at the position.

He’d immediately become the best QB the Jets have had since Namath and he’s young enough to be here for 5+ years.

A helluva lot worse options to hitch our wagon to. Like 90% of the alternatives being mentioned around here.

What does Carr’s anticipated contract with jets look like as far as years and $$?

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

We could have went harder.

I don't know.  I don't think of Carr as being as good as Cousins, personally, and the stats bear that out to some degree.

But I don't know how good he would be here, with us, or what it will cost to get him here.  He is under contract with the Raiders thru 2025 (see overthecap link below for details), and while benched for poor play (not a great sign) the Raiders will still likely want to/try to trade him, rather than release him.  He also costs ~30-40 million/year, cap wise, on his current deal the next three seasons (2023-2025).

https://overthecap.com/player/derek-carr/2975#:~:text=Derek Carr signed a five year%2C %24125.025 million,so please cite him if using this information.

He would certainly be a major improvement, if he plays to his past level.  But his steep decline this year concerns me.  

How Fish? The Jets offered him 90 million guaranteed dollars and he so much didn't want to play for this team that he even took 6 million dollars LESS to play for Minnesota!

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/77803/how-the-kirk-cousins-rejection-changed-everything-for-the-jets

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Barkus said:

True, but the hope would be we can get a qb to at least make this team respectable and stabilize the organization. The perpetual cycle of tear down and regime change is not progress.

The quickest way to respectability and save jobs is to throw money at carr and hope he’s average, combined with fixing the OL (yet again).  This plus the return of breece and avt should be enough to get the team looking functional again.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

How Fish? The Jets offered him 90 million guaranteed dollars and he so much didn't want to play for this team that he even took 6 million dollars LESS to play for Minnesota!

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/77803/how-the-kirk-cousins-rejection-changed-everything-for-the-jets

Reportedly offered.

Maybe my disappointment is how often the Jets fail to seal the deal on anyone of real value.

We often show interest (or reportedly do), then nothing happens.  We fail to seal the deal.

Same ol' Jets.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Reportedly offered.

Maybe my disappointment is how often the Jets fail to seal the deal on anyone of real value.

We often show interest (or reportedly do), then nothing happens.  We fail to seal the deal.

Same ol' Jets.

Here it is my brother, right from the horses' mouth

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It's amazing, simply replace Kirk Cousins' name with that. of Derek Carr'as name and this article could have been written last night:

If you’re a New York Jets fan who doesn’t want the team to pursue Kirk Cousins in free agency, the following letter is for you. 

To my fellow New York Jets fan,

Despite our beloved team’s continual failure to find a competent starting quarterback, it has come to my attention that you don’t want the Jets to pursue Kirk Cousins in free agency.

I want you to know that I understand your position.

After all, NFL insiders are speculating that signing Cousins will cost a fortune, with one controversial report suggesting that the Vikings may offer him $30+ million/year for 3 years.

$30 million a year is a scary number right? For Jets fans who don’t understand their team’s salary cap situation or the intricacies of quarterback contracts in the NFL, I understand why that $30 million figure would be enough to scare them away from Cousins.

Of course, the Jets currently have almost $90 million in cap space. And quarterback contracts in the NFL are always excessively high and continually rising (see Jimmy Gaoppolo’s record-setting deal with the 49ers). So from that perspective, it would seem like paying Cousins $30 million/ year is both reasonable and affordable for the Jets.

Don’t get me wrong, though, fellow fan. I understand that your irrational dislike of Cousins transcends his high cost. You also argue that he isn’t a good quarterback.

When asked why you don’t think Cousins is a good quarterback, you’ll inevitably stammer out some convoluted stat about how he hasn’t won a playoff game.

Never mind that Cousins has posted a 2/1 TD/INT ratio or had 4,000+ yards passing/season for each of the past three years. Never mind that Cousins threw for over 300 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT in his one playoff start. If your gut tells you Cousins isn’t good, that’s all that you need to know, right?

In summary, Jets fan who doesn’t want Cousins, this is your position. You think he costs too much, even though his next NFL contract will be reasonable (within the league’s structure for paying quarterbacks), and the Jets have more than enough money to pay him. You also don’t think he’s good, even though every single available statistic designed to gauge quarterback play disagrees with you.

And in typical New York sports fan fashion, there is no amount of logic, reason, or numbers that I could provide that would ever change your mind. So I won’t try to.

I want you to know that I’m with you, fellow Jets fan. I understand and support your right to embrace your gut instinct over common sense. And considering you’re probably the kind of fan who prefers ranting on social media to reading, I hope you’re nevertheless able to see this letter.

16 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

With avt and breece hall Zach wilson was winning games. Yeah I dont think Carr would be the determining factor here bud

I don't think it's a great idea to have a RB coming off of a major injury to shoulder the load for a full season to make up for league worst QB play.

• Upvote 2