Mekhi Becton looking good

LSJF

23 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

He looks good again?  So he is not playing next year I guess 

I get the pessimism.. I like the fact that he was being mature, not wearing T-shirts, with slogans on them, not doing some 30 day before training camp weight loss program, it seems like he’s working at this all year round now he’s going to be at the facility , we could definitely use him, and still draft somebody else

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

if he plays he sure can contriubte. But damn this guys has had no luck with health. He looked in shape last year. He is just so massive

Last year he came to the facility really late in the year, and kind of did a last minute get in shape then before camp… He is totally more dedicated now, he looks pretty good, hoping for the best for the guy

• Upvote 2

I mean, let's be realistic here.  The Jets aren't moving on from him yet, and no matter what - if healthy - they're going to have him play.  What are you gonna do, sit him on the bench because he MIGHT get hurt?? 

So what does that mean?  Do we sign a starter to back him up?  Considering we need to give Quinnen a big raise and we need to bring in a solid QB who will most likely cost us at least $20M, I'm not sure that would be the most wise decision financially.  

Personally I think you draft a LT in the 1st, move Becton over to RT, and Mitchell is your insurance.  Something like:

LT:  Paris Johnson(1st round); Brown

LG: Vera-Tucker; Tomlinson

C : McGovern/cheap UFA; Rookie(3rd or 4th rounder)

RG:  UFA(Nate Davis?); Herbig

RT: Becton; Mitchell; Ogbuehi

At least, that would be my strategy.  Ogbuehi should return for cheap as some depth in the event Becton goes down and you need someone to back up Mitchell.  Brown stays to mentor our 1st rounder.  Tomlinson is trash but what are we gonna do?  Can't cut him so he stays.  IMO this is the play and what makes the most sense.  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2

30 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I mean, let's be realistic here.  The Jets aren't moving on from him yet, and no matter what - if healthy - they're going to have him play.  What are you gonna do, sit him on the bench because he MIGHT get hurt?? 

So what does that mean?  Do we sign a starter to back him up?  Considering we need to give Quinnen a big raise and we need to bring in a solid QB who will most likely cost us at least $20M, I'm not sure that would be the most wise decision financially.  

Personally I think you draft a LT in the 1st, move Becton over to RT, and Mitchell is your insurance.  Something like:

At least, that would be my strategy.  Ogbuehi should return for cheap as some depth in the event Becton goes down and you need someone to back up Mitchell.  Brown stays to mentor our 1st rounder.  Tomlinson is trash but what are we gonna do?  Can't cut him so he stays.  IMO this is the play and what makes the most sense.  

Plausible strategy for the OLine only thing is Tomlinson will be released this year.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Well it was stated he was in better shape.  Lets just see what happens; there have been players plagued with injuries in their early careers who did go on to play the rest of their career relatively injury free.   It is not written in the stars that he will get hurt again.   

I hope this !

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, LSJF said:

Call me an optimist, but it's a big year for this dude, he is coming across mature, dedicated and likeable...Can this guy revive his career?

He's sticking around NJ during the offseason , already has lost weight... I'm the first one to call him a bust, i'm willing to eat my previous words...

I think we can use some help on the OL ..AVT comes back,  two solid pieces... 

Mekhi Becton

Star Trek GIF

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ah yes, Mekhi Becton, the Rise of Skywalker of football players. 

The ONLY redeeming thing about that trash movie is they managed to convince Dennis Lawson to reprise the role of Wedge, if only for 5 seconds....

It was an apology for murdering Ackbar offscreen to give the despicable Laura Derns Character, "Admiral Gender Studies" an unearned moment.

GODDAMMIT,  NOW I hate Disney Star Wars again. Thanks. Bro.

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The ONLY redeeming thing about that trash movie is they managed to convince Dennis Lawson to reprise the role of Wedge, if only for 5 seconds....

It was an apology for murdering Ackbar offscreen to give the despicable Laura Derns Character, "Admiral Gender Studies" an unearned moment.

GODDAMMIT,  NOW I hate Disney Star Wars again. Thanks. Bro.

It's funny, I thought I liked them when they came out. But I have had zero desire to rewatch any of them since the theater and I don't think I ever will again. And that's the test of if a movie is any good or not. Kind of like Mekhi Becton.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, LSJF said:

Call me an optimist, but it's a big year for this dude, he is coming across mature, dedicated and likeable...Can this guy revive his career?

He's sticking around NJ during the offseason , already has lost weight... I'm the first one to call him a bust, i'm willing to eat my previous words...

Mekhi Becton

Eat and Becton are not words that should be used in the same sentence regardless of their connotation. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LSJF said:

Mekhi Becton

He's looking GQ, Way to go Big Guy.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, bonkertons said:

If Becton is pencilled into start again after last season's debacle then Douglas and Saleh should both be removed from Florham Park in white coats. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can he?  Yes, it's absolutely possible.

Will he?  Unfortunately, like Zach Wilson, it's very long odds at this point.

Better odds than Zach, mind you.  But still unlikely.

We can just hope for the best if JD retains him, which it seems he will.

Actually I think the odds are better that Becton becomes a successful player than Zack does. He has proven that he has the skill to play at this level, his college history is not injury filled, he had a terrible start due to being overweight and he clearly is working that. 

Zack has not yet shown he can play at this level, injuries aside. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can he?  Yes, it's absolutely possible.

Will he?  Unfortunately, like Zach Wilson, it's very long odds at this point.

Better odds than Zach, mind you.  But still unlikely.

We can just hope for the best if JD retains him, which it seems he will.

Becton and Zach should not be mentioned in the same sentence. One had maturity issues and a weight problem, the of showed to be a selfish player and just flat out sucks. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Becton and Zach should not be mentioned in the same sentence. One had maturity issues and a weight problem, the of showed to be a selfish player and just flat out sucks. 

They both had maturity, dedication and injury issues. Why wouldn’t they be mentioned together?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Becton isn't selfish?

Literally no player needed to be at OTA's last year more than Becton. He was the only one not to show. To the surprise of nobody.