Rumor: Woody Wants LaFleur, Offensive Staff, LaFired

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think that's most of it.  Woody is used to paying 2-3 coaches at once and Macc handed out guaranteed money like a drunken sailor, so I just don't think he's unwilling to spend.  I could be wrong, I just don't know if we have firm evidence of that.

The paying multiple coaches at the same time might be a vicious circle. Can’t pay a new coach a princely sum because two other bums are still on the books… and around and around we go.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Rex Ryan "players coach" is the all time franchise leader in playoff wins 

I can do this all day 

The idea that the coach needs to be a mean alpha is some Joe Rogan level bull crap. 

These are millionaires and grown men it's not like college where you can scream at them all day 

I was agreeing with you. His take was awful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

No matter how bad Zach Wilson is/was you have to admit Mike Lafleur is not good at his job. He's predictable and when you're predicable you get beat by defensive coordinators in this league. It's why we didn't score a touchdown in the last three games. Mike Lafleur wasn't ready to be an offensive coordinator imho. Saleh hired his best man's brother and it backfired.

We really don't know. Wilson constricts how good any offense can be. MLF came here with a solid pedigree and a good reputation. Is it his fault Wilson is a nonhacker? Call all the fancy plays you want, give all the brilliant QB whisperer talks in the world.   If the QB runs backward in the face of a pass rush, can't read defenses nor process the field in 2.6 seconds, the rest doesn't really matter. And neither MLF nor the late Greg Knapp or Rob Calabrese nor the "Senior Offensive Assistant" is gonna chance that for the better. 

This franchise has 2 problems; the owner, and Zach Wilson. The former can be managed to a point, the latter cannot. 

• Upvote 2

I said this on Sunday. So I guess that the report was retracted but I firmly believe that Woody and JD (from DJs comments) want LaFleur gone and Saleh is digging in his heels. Think there is a very real possibility of it winding up with Saleh being fired in the end as well. I just cannot imagine the Jets actually going with essentially the status quo Saleh wants.  

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

We really don't know. Wilson constricts how good any offense can be. MLF came here with a solid pedigree and a good reputation. Is it his fault Wilson is a nonhacker? Call all the fancy plays you want, give all the brilliant QB whisperer talks in the world.   If the QB runs backward in the face of a pass rush, can't read defenses nor process the field in 2.6 seconds, the rest doesn't really matter. And neither MLF nor the late Greg Knapp or Rob Calabrese nor the "Senior Offensive Assistant" is gonna chance that for the better. 

This franchise has 2 problems; the owner, and Zach Wilson. The former can be managed to a point, the latter cannot. 

I just do not know how anyone can see the devolution of White and still think the issue is mainly Zach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

So are you saying you're fine with the OL? You're ok with the play of the TEs? The WRs not named Wilson would be pro bowlers? What about the Running backs? Are their 12 total rushing yards in a game acceptable? 

Almost every player on the Jets offense outside of Garret Wilson has either regressed a lot over the season or gotten injured. That's including when non-Zach QBs were running the system.

This offense is not a QB away. The offensive staff is one of those reasons. An entire offense doesn't regress a ton just because.

That's not even getting into MLF's failure to call plays that worked or at least get away from a simple algorithm.

Don't think anyone is saying the injury-riddled OL was fine. Figure AVT and a free agent or draft pick or 2, even Becton showing up, less of an issue. And not nearly the issue that 2nd pick in the draft QB is a complete disaster. Everything bad flows from that. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bugg said:

Don't think anyone is saying the injury-riddled OL was fine. Figure AVT and a free agent or draft pick or 2, even Becton showing up, less of an issue. And not nearly the issue that 2nd pick in the draft QB is a complete disaster. Everything bad flows from that. 

He’s not just a bust. He’s a laughable bust that looks completely lost on a football field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I just do not know how anyone can see the devolution of White and still think the issue is mainly Zach. 

White can be a decent backup NFL QB; "no TDs, again, if Berrios hangs on to a ball in his hands, that talking point is gonzo.

. To have the 2nd pick in the draft QB be totally worthless, bigger different problem . This should be a QB that elevates the whole team no matter who the coaches are. Should be a total no brainer, a strength. Instead a bad problem that has to be worked around if you don't cut bait. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The person I'm quoting said the Jets were a QB away from having a good offense. I was asking if they thought the offense was really fine.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

He’s not just a bust. He’s a laughable bust that looks completely lost on a football field. 

Yup. That is where we are at right now. Zach looks historically bad. There's no way a player can be historically bad at the most important position and not drag down the rest of the offense to some level. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bugg said:

White can be a decent backup NFL QB; "no TDs, again, if Berrios hangs on to a ball in his hands, that talking point is gonzo.

. To have the 2nd pick in the draft QB be totally worthless, bigger different problem . This should be a QB that elevates the whole team no matter who the coaches are. Should be a total no brainer, a strength. Instead a bad problem that has to be worked around if you don't cut bait. 

His only value is as a sunken cost. I think the only way to unload his salary is to pay someone in draft picks to take it ala the Brock Osweiler trade.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Did Woody Johnson hire Joe Douglas or was it his brother who hired him? Either way, I remember when Joe Douglas was hired how happy everyone was with the Joe Douglas hire. Joe Douglas hired Robert Saleh. Joe Douglas built this team. Robert Saleh hired Mike Lafleur. Let's all blame Woody though. It's the cool thing to do around here. I get it, it all starts with ownership. The owner is the most responsible for the team. Truth is Woody is dammed if he fires people and he's dammed if he doesn't. My bet is Mike Lafleur is in over his head, and I'm sick and tired of hearing about the absence of Greg Knapp setting this team back. I'm not saying you said that. Knapp wasn't some great offensive coordinator. It's terrible and tragic what happened to Greg Knapp, but I remember when people used to say his offense was taking a Knapp. Steve Young liked Knapp, the same guy all gung ho for Zach Wilson. Peyton Manning was a great quarterback and got Chris Johnson to hire Adam Gase. Bottom line this is the last season for this regime if they don't deliver the playoffs in 2023. That's with or without Mike Lafleur.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bottom line this is the last season for this regime if they don't deliver the playoffs in 2023. That's with or without Mike Lafleur.

Which is why the idea that some old coach like Kubiak is signing up to be "Senior Offensive Assistant" is preposterous. Come in and be the special sauce that makes Zach Wilson an NFL QB in one year. But if it goes bad, you're FIRED!!!, Plus you get to have your reputation stained by such failure. 

Objectively who thinks Wilson is fixable? Such a "Senior Offensive Assistant's" first statement in the interview would be the Jets have to sign a vet QB and cut bait on Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Objectively who thinks Wilson is fixable? Such a "Senior Offensive Assistant's" first statement in the interview would be the Jets have to sign a vet QB and cut bait on Wilson. 

If his first statement isn’t some version of this, you validate his parking and thank him for coming in.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This whole thing reeks of woody 

It's Woody trying to find someone to rehab Zach 

Billionaires look out for each others nephews 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Which is why the idea that some old coach like Kubiak is signing up to be "Senior Offensive Assistant" is preposterous. Come in and be the special sauce that makes Zach Wilson an NFL QB in one year. But if it goes bad, you're FIRED!!!, Plus you get to have your reputation stained by such failure. 

I don't think the Jets would tell Kubiak they are putting all their eggs in the Zach Wilson can be fixed basket. The Jets are definitely trading for or signing a veteran free agent quarterback to be the starter. There's a chance the Jets keep Zach Wilson hoping he develops enough for a team to give up something besides a 7th round pick. 

• Upvote 1

Then dump all 3.  Jets fans do not want 2023 to be a redo of 2022 and keeping all 3 brings us right there.
We kept the same staff from 2021, and 2022 was a much better season. Why does it follow that 2023 is preordained unless we fire someone / everyone now?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, slats said:

I’d imagine someone brought in at the assistant head coach level, who would have his hands on the situation. Not simply an adviser to Saleh and LaFluer. There’s a lot about this offense I like, but it could use some help. 

Last year at this time, it was Ulbrich’s head that everyone wanted. Turns out the personnel just really sucked. Maybe we can judge the OC on a bit of a curve when he goes thru 3 LTs, 4 RGs, 4 RTs, loses his budding, super star RB, and, oh, also runs thru 4 QBs, most of whom are not good right now. 

Many facets to being a stellar OC, including designing plays, calling plays in live games and teaching fundamentals such as route tree, pre snap reads, blocking assignments, etc.  LaFleur I think has designed a good offense.  He gets people open.  Perhaps a guru like Kubiak can help him with play calling/game management.  As a young guy/new OC, not sure he's had enough support from position coaches such as Benton, Austin, Calabrese, Embree and Middleton.  I'd look for upgrades there.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jamesr said:

We kept the same staff from 2021, and 2022 was a much better season. Why does it follow that 2023 is preordained unless we fire someone / everyone now?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

who said everyone?  Just one. And if he's back without some new "Assistant" he reports to, then maybe there's a chance. Otherwise, I think it's more likely a redo and even worse because the players won't take quite as long to start to revolt. Publicly. Again. 

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This whole thing reeks of woody 

It's Woody trying to find someone to rehab Zach 

Billionaires look out for each others nephews 

We keep waiting for Woody to have a Leon Hess “I can’t take it with me” moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Lefleur actually came here with a paper thin resume to make the jump to OC with a rookie defensive HC.  That doesn't mean he should be fired.  It's way more likely he got the job because nepotism, being in the right place at the right time and who he knew had more to do with him getting the job than actual qualifications. 

The interior OL put Mike White on the bench, made a joke of Flacco and got Zach looking at his feet.  The running game was a complete joke.  Long developing negative plays were a staple of the Jets O.  

If Saleh wants to retain him and Joe D wants to retain Saleh that's okay.  Don't pretend that Mike Lefluer was some offensive genius play caller and designer.  There is zero on his resume that indicated that. 

• Upvote 1