Woody is becoming Hess

Aging is the great equalizer, eventually we all become  desperate aging Jets fans, Leon Hess without the millions and xmas Hess trucks.

I wonder if he stays awake at night fearing that he might follow in Leon Hess's footsteps, hiring his own version of Staten Island's Richie Kotite, in his last life-decade desperate attempt to finish his ownership on with a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nope. Woody couldn't hold Leon's socks and is a trust fund moron in the lucky sperm club. 

Sure. Neither has been great as owner of the NYJ, but don't sully the reputation of the MAN that Leon Hess was.

GREAT point. I am a fan of entrepreneurs . Hess  built an empire... Woody has done dick.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Just saw a photo of Woody. I posted it below.  I met/briefly shook his hand at the Tampa Bat Jets club tailgate in 2009. He was gracious enough to show up briefly. He seems to have aged quite a bit. He's now 75. 

He now is reminding me more of Leon Hess.   Anyone else see a similarity here?  

15154842308914928904.jpg

If you spent half the time working on your short game that you do talking about Woody, you’d be playing off a 7 handicap, lol.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leon Hess:

"Hess was born on March 14, 1914,[1] to a Jewish family[2] in Asbury Park, New Jersey. His parents were Ethel and Mores Hess, who was a kosher butcher who had emigrated from Lithuania[1] and—after arriving in the United States—worked as an oil delivery man in Asbury Park, New Jersey.[1][3] Hess worked as a driver for his father's company and, after it went bankrupt in 1933 during the Great Depression, he reorganized the company.[1] He built an oil terminal in Perth Amboy, New Jersey out of old oil tankers and aggressively underbid his competitors to win Federal oil contracts.[1] He served in World War II, rising to the rank of major, and serving as the fuel supply officer for General George S. Patton, where he further developed his logistical expertise."

Robert Wood Johnson IV:

"Johnson is heir to the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical fortune,[1] which was founded by his great-grandfather, Robert Wood Johnson I.[2] Johnson was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States, the son of Betty (Wold) and Robert Wood Johnson III, who was president of Johnson & Johnson for four years. Johnson worked summer jobs at Johnson & Johnson".

Nope. Woody couldn't hold Leon's socks and is a trust fund moron in the lucky sperm club. 

Sure. Neither has been great as owner of the NYJ, but don't sully the reputation of the MAN that Leon Hess was.

Perfect post. Thank you.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Just saw a photo of Woody. I posted it below.  I met/briefly shook his hand at the Tampa Bat Jets club tailgate in 2009. He was gracious enough to show up briefly. He seems to have aged quite a bit. He's now 75. 

He now is reminding me more of Leon Hess.   Anyone else see a similarity here?  

15154842308914928904.jpg

Mr. Hess was self-made.  Woody... Well...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leon Hess:

"Hess was born on March 14, 1914,[1] to a Jewish family[2] in Asbury Park, New Jersey. His parents were Ethel and Mores Hess, who was a kosher butcher who had emigrated from Lithuania[1] and—after arriving in the United States—worked as an oil delivery man in Asbury Park, New Jersey.[1][3] Hess worked as a driver for his father's company and, after it went bankrupt in 1933 during the Great Depression, he reorganized the company.[1] He built an oil terminal in Perth Amboy, New Jersey out of old oil tankers and aggressively underbid his competitors to win Federal oil contracts.[1] He served in World War II, rising to the rank of major, and serving as the fuel supply officer for General George S. Patton, where he further developed his logistical expertise."

Robert Wood Johnson IV:

"Johnson is heir to the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical fortune,[1] which was founded by his great-grandfather, Robert Wood Johnson I.[2] Johnson was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States, the son of Betty (Wold) and Robert Wood Johnson III, who was president of Johnson & Johnson for four years. Johnson worked summer jobs at Johnson & Johnson".

I live in asbury park. Had no idea Leon Hess was from here lol

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leon Hess:

Robert Wood Johnson IV:

Let me add from a 2004 Times article on the winner himself: 

"The unvarnished Johnson is revealed, though, in his early business experiences. His Jets biography mentions the cable business in Florida, but not the real estate deals. Research in Florida shows those dealings were marred by a bitter fight with Spielvogel, charges of fraud in civil suits by at least two condo buyers and a ruling that held Johnson in contempt of court in a dispute over his personal condo fees.

For a time, Johnson wore long blond hair and a Fu Manchu mustache. It was the 1970's, after all, and he was always the richest young man around. In a deposition, he listed his occupation as construction.

Spielvogel, a hustling real estate developer from Long Island, was Johnson's partner for four years in ventures named Woodric Enterprises, after their middle names.

"The first time I met him, he had his zipper open and sandals on, long straggly hair," Spielvogel said. "I didn't know who he was." They went out drinking, hit it off, and when they next met, Johnson was zipped up, wearing a tie and arriving by private plane, wowing Spielvogel's teenage secretary.

"He comes in and first thing out of his mouth was, 'My family and I checked you out, and I want to do 'bidness' with you,"' Spielvogel said. "He said, 'You didn't have any family money; you did it on your own.' And basically: 'Teach me. I'll give you 10 percent of the first deal and 25 percent of every deal thereafter if you just sell your operations in New York and move to Florida.' And that's basically what I did."

Nope - he's not Leon Hess

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leon Hess:

Robert Wood Johnson IV:

Good stuff! 

I remember the Jets had some tough contract negotiation in the late 80s or early 90s and Leon got involved and the media was concerned he was getting taken for a ride and he retorted, “don’t worry. I do oil deals with Quadafi.” 

? drop

(he still got taken for a ride. Man was a terrible owner.  His Kotite antics ?‍♂️. i think it was Pete Carroll he fired to hire rich Kotite.  They also “mutually” parted ways..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

While there are better owners in the current NFL there are also worse.  I give Woody an A for effort.  I also give him a participation award.  :)  The man shows up!  

He left the team for four years.

Lol no way can he get an A for effort.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Let’s hope he has that same Hessian realization that he can’t take it with him and goes all in on a Sean Payton. My hope is low. 

Leon Hess negotiated oil deals directly with moammar khadafi. He was a businessman and a great owner. Pre season tickets were free for season ticket holders and he would give you a refund for playoff ticket money if the game wasn’t played (pslers have no clue what that is lol) 

Woody is no business man lol he’s been a philanthropist since age 23. I remember him keeping playoff ticket money as a down payment on the following year’s season tix and pocketing the interest (douchebag move) and just ruining everything that used to be good about being a season ticket holder. My last year with season tix was 2007. Couldn’t be happier with my decision. Not one home playoff game at that magnificent facility since it’s been built.

Leon rolled his sleeves up and personally got involved to get parcells here. And it turned the entire franchise around for almost 15 years. Woody wouldn’t have a clue what to do.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

This dude won't pay for a slice of sashimi....he's not getting any big tuna 
Meh .. Woody isn't a cheapskate .. he's just not skilled at assessing talent at the HC position .. as of yet ... Unless ... Bipiddy Bipiddy Boo ... Joe D found the glass sneaker and slips it in Saleh with ease...

My guess is not even a pumpkin... But a gourd.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

Loop Life GIF

woody-johnson-brick-on-call-360.jpg.f0502400091fdb4b4e7eac2982ac7218.jpg

Scary shlt.  We will become the Raiders, with an inept son at the helm.   You can't suck this long without REAL ineptitude.  There are at least 5 HOF/SB type  QB's minimum that were on the board since 2000 that we passed on. We simply can't draft well. 2006,2007 and 2022. 3 above average drafts in 22 years.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Scary shlt.  We will become the Raiders, with an inept son at the helm.   You can't suck this long without REAL ineptitude.  There are at least 5 HOF/SB type  QB's minimum that were on the board since 2000 that we passed on. We simply can't draft well. 2006,2007 and 2022. 3 above average drafts in 22 years.

Will probably get sold. Most of woody’s wealth is in the team. His heirs will want to sell it and split the money.