Schefter: Packers prefer to move on from Rodgers

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i have a sneaking suspicion that this trade happens monday, like the Stafford trade did the day after championship games. if not monday def soon. There is too much hanging in the air with Carr, Packers direction as a franchise, etc... this isn't going into March.

If this happens like this you are a lock for next year Jetnation Captain! 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I gotta admit, when the season ended I did not see Rodgers falling right into the Jets lap. Finally a stroke of good luck to launch the Jets into title contention if it happens

Contention?

what, for a year or two, if he’s not injured at age 40?
if he even wants to keep playing after a year with Jets.

this is same ole, same ole, Bret Fire revisited , it’s not building an organization that can compete every year and maybe every once in awhile get to a bowl.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Contention?

this is same ole, same ole, Bret Fire revisited , it’s not building an organization that can compete every year and maybe every once in awhile get to a bowl.

Given the choice of being a competitive team that's in or around the playoffs year after year but never wins, or a "go for it" team like the Rams that won it all, I'll take the Rams...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Fans worry too much about draft picks

The Rams haven’t had a 1st round pick since 2016 and prior to this year, were regularly competing for championships during the McVay era, and winning one.

Rodgers is one year removed from back to back MVP campaigns and throwing for 85 TD’s vs 9 INT’s during that stretch.

Even if he’s 80% of what he was a year ago, he’d still be the best QB this team has ever had and would have us competing for Superbowls for the next 2 years.

Shoot your shot

I’ll worry about 2025 when it gets here.

Plus NOT having a 1st round pick gives the GM and extra $10m ($20m the second year, $30m the next and so on) to spend on good FAs who have already proven themselves. 1st round picks are really expensive!

8 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

It depends on Rodgers.  There may be no trade at all because he could always just retire.  Either way he has repeatedly said that he has to think about what he wants to do and is in no rush to do so.

The only way it could happen relatively soon is if GB literally kicks him out and forces him to make a decision.  I don’t know why they’d do that, unless they think waiting would affect trade value.

Well, it would affect his trade value, at least to the NYJ. The NYJ can’t sit here waiting on Rodgers decision til April when all the other options will be off the table. In fact, the only reason the NYJ May pay ‘more’ than expected in a trade is for expediency.   I was thinking mid rd DP this year and a conditional pick next year…but the NYJ may give a 2nd this and a conditional next just to move this along. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Contention?

Only chance the Jets have of building a long term contender is by drafting a franchise QB.  I see no problem with bringing in Rodgers to compete for a SB while you try to develop that player behind the scenes, whether it's Zach or some kid you draft next year or the year after.  Assuming the price doesn't involve a 1st I don't see the problem.  We contend for the next 2 years and bring in a kid to season and actually learn from one of the GOATs.  Rodgers will be gone by the time we're due to pay our young players.  We'll still be built for the long term.  I see no reason to complain about this unless, like I said, the asking price involves a 1st of any kind.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Only chance the Jets have of building a long term contender is by drafting a franchise QB.  I see no problem with bringing in Rodgers to compete for a SB while you try to develop that player behind the scenes, whether it's Zach or some kid you draft next year or the year after.  Assuming the price doesn't involve a 1st I don't see the problem.  We contend for the next 2 years and bring in a kid to season and actually learn from one of the GOATs.  Rodgers will be gone by the time we're due to pay our young players.  We'll still be built for the long term.  I see no reason to complain about this unless, like I said, the asking price involves a 1st of any kind.  

It most certainly involves a 1st. Jets desperate and GB knows it. Maybe JD can make it a ‘24 1st but this is a HOF Qb we’re talking about.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Fans worry too much about draft pick

And fans also get obsessed with “big names” as quick-fix shortcut saviors, even when past their prime and horribly costly to acquire.

Dont like picks? Fine, let’s trade G. Wilson, Sauce and AVT to the Pack for Old Man Rodgers. 

They were “just picks” after all. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It most certainly involves a 1st. Jets desperate and GB knows it. Maybe JD can make it a ‘24 1st but this is a HOF Qb we’re talking about.

Who’s giving a 1st for a QB with a $100 million price tag, and who’s played the ‘maybe I’ll retire’ card for a few years now?  The biggest impediment to me for a Rodgers trade for the NYJ is how long he’s going to take to make any decision as to if he is even playing next year, or if he’s even interested in playing in NY.  The NYJ are not desperate if a Carr and/or Garropolo are still options. Q

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Who’s giving a 1st for a QB with a $100 million price tag, and who’s played the ‘maybe I’ll retire’ card for a few years now?  The biggest impediment to me for a Rodgers trade for the NYJ is how long he’s going to take to make any decision as to if he is even playing next year, or if he’s even interested in playing in NY.  The NYJ are not desperate if a Carr and/or Garropolo are still options. Q

That’s why the Rodgers whisperer was hired. 

48 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What’s interesting about Rodgers is that he doesn’t have a no-trade clause but does have it in writing that if he wants a trade the team has to trade him. That aspect kind of depresses their leverage because unlike Russell Wilson or Matthew Stafford those teams leverage is to simply keep the player, whereas the Packers can’t. Only way for the Packers to make up for it is to get teams into a bidding war, which is conceivable. Rodgers can impact that if he says “I’m only interested in playing for the Jets”, but if he says “I’m willing to play for either the Jets and Titans” then it becomes a bidding war. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

What’s interesting about Rodgers is that he doesn’t have a no-trade clause but does have it in writing that if he wants a trade the team has to trade him. That aspect kind of depresses their leverage because unlike Russell Wilson or Matthew Stafford those teams leverage is to simply keep the player, whereas the Packers can’t. Only way for the Packers to make up for it is to get teams into a bidding war, which is conceivable. Rodgers can impact that if he says “I’m only interested in playing for the Jets”, but if he says “I’m willing to play for either the Jets and Titans” then it becomes a bidding war. 

Good insight. From how glowingly AR spoke of Hackett, I’m hopeful he forces his way to NY on a reasonable trade value.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Good insight. From how glowingly AR spoke of Hackett, I’m hopeful he forces his way to NY on a reasonable trade value.

I just worry that he’ll be “open” as a means to not control or hamstring the Packers. Because if he wants to, he can very easily make us the only option which would significantly depress compensation. I would think there would still be a 2nd round pick this year with a 2 that could become a 1 next year

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just worry that he’ll be “open” as a means to not control or hamstring the Packers. Because if he wants to, he can very easily make us the only option which would significantly depress compensation. I would think there would still be a 2nd round pick this year with a 2 that could become a 1 next year

I can understand AR not purposely screwing GB, but at the end of the day he’s looking to make 1 more SB run. He needs to take care of his new team also. That #13 pick can be that TCU Receiver or the #1 Center or RT. 
GB screwed him over for the past decade drafting D almost exclusively in the 1st round. Yes they took OL but no offensive  skill positions. Go get the Ring AR. You’ll never return to GB the rest of your life

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

And this is where im confused because sportrac shows a dead cap of $16+ in '25 and $8+ from '26 that accelerates  so around $25 mil total hot in '25

From what I gathered it was $60 if he played $25 if he didn't.

See below:

Screenshot_20230126-163735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f1193623eaed44f446caaf0f11013d0.jpg

Any info or direction on why you believe its 60 mil hit in '25?

Go look at the amounts due to be paid under the career earnings folder.

They can’t pay a player $110MM over the next two years, have it count ~$50MM over that span, and then the other $60MM just magically vanishes & never hits the cap.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Given the choice of being a competitive team that's in or around the playoffs year after year but never wins, or a "go for it" team like the Rams that won it all, I'll take the Rams...

Agreed. But it's not even like the Rams. They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2016. We're just taking about giving 1, maybe 2. 

I love the draft and I love getting good young players but none of that means anything if you don't have a QB.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think that is an interesting nugget. I think it could 100% be seen through this lens.

The troubling portion comes in when you learn NFL coaches are required to accept a similar position to offset their previous contract. Think of it almost like Unemployment, you lose your benefits if you decline work (sort of)

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/01/19/business-of-football-end-of-season-coaches-fired

Screenshot_20230129_110749_Chrome.jpg

Meaning Hackett could have taken the job because he was kinda required to. Not saying that was the ultimate reason, buts it's something to consider.

there is a 0.0% chance he was taking this job because he was required to. everyone knows this job is a 1 and done if the team doesn't make the playoffs, and no one would have blamed him for not taking it. they can require you to seek employment...they cannot require you to take any job you are offered...he could have easily sat out a year like a lot of coaches have.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think that is an interesting nugget. I think it could 100% be seen through this lens.

The troubling portion comes in when you learn NFL coaches are required to accept a similar position to offset their previous contract. Think of it almost like Unemployment, you lose your benefits if you decline work (sort of)

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/01/19/business-of-football-end-of-season-coaches-fired

Screenshot_20230129_110749_Chrome.jpg

Meaning Hackett could have taken the job because he was kinda required to. Not saying that was the ultimate reason, buts it's something to consider.

You left this out from the article...

"Having dealt with this issue from both sides, having represented the team side in a couple of these cases as well as the coach’s side, I know the issue of the duty to mitigate is a sticky one. And it is extremely hard to enforce."

Kingsbury refused any interviews this offseason and went to Thailand. Is he losing any money that's owed to him? No, he's not. The idea that Hackett had to work is simply not accurate. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You left this out from the article...

"Having dealt with this issue from both sides, having represented the team side in a couple of these cases as well as the coach’s side, I know the issue of the duty to mitigate is a sticky one. And it is extremely hard to enforce."

Kingsbury refused any interviews this offseason and went to Thailand. Is he losing any money that's owed to him? No, he's not. The idea that Hackett had to work is simply not accurate. 

Hackett came here because of Saleh. They are close. Plus, the way it ended in Denver for him, he wanted to prove that he is better than that. And I think he is. Having a close relationship with Rodgers is a bonus for us in our search for a QB. I think this can turn out well for us in the short term. Hoping Rodgers doesn’t cost us 2 first round picks. We will see. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'll be surprised if there's a 1st involved, unless it's a Super Bowl condition.  Just don't see it.  If GB draws a hard line on it, I just look elsewhere.  Simple as that.