Salary Cap Set at $224.8M for 2023

Lith

Bears in great position to trade back and build around Fields or trade fields and take a QB and use the picks to build around that guy. 

Jets are where you would expect them to be going into the year after the “let’s start trying to win games now “ year lol. 

usually not the year you rebuild the entire QB room. JD has a long to do list lol. 

• Upvote 2

OTC has us at (-2.8m). The draft class will only cost us ~$4m in cap to sign, less any compensation given up for Rodgers plus his $15m hit.

We will be fine on cap space, Davis, Berrios, Whitehead, Lawson gets you $37m or so. Mosley and JFM could be restructured to drop their cap hits. I'd imagine in a situation where you get Rodgers it would be advantageous to know you have those 2 locked in for the next 2 seasons.

• Upvote 2

How much Wilson busting affected this rebuild can’t be overstated. In a perfect world, we’d have won about 6 games with him showing marked improvement. 
Just imagine how different things would feel knowing we had a rising young QB, and a top 10 pick in the draft. 

Instead here we are grasping at straws trying to find a QB, with a new OC and staff that excites nobody, and a HC and GM on the hot seat. Ugh.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, pointman said:

A-A-Ron comes here. Zach studies his every move and every once in a while A-A-Ron throws Zach a tip on how to be a QB. A-A-Ron brings us two division titles and one Super Bowl. Retires, Zach becomes "Any Team. Time. Place" Zach again and we have a two decade run with him. 

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Dance Dream Big GIF by Tutu School

• Upvote 1

NFL tells teams salary cap will be $224.8M, source says

1:18 PM ET
  • ESPN

The NFL has told its 32 teams that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million, a source confirmed to ESPN.

This marks an increase of $16.6 million from the 2022 salary cap, which was $208.2 million.

The league will notify teams of total costs, including player benefits, in March.

The news was first reported by NFL Network.

Teams will be permitted to negotiate with unrestricted free agents starting March 13 at noon ET. The 2023 league year will officially begin on March 15 at 4 p.m. ET, after which time free agent signings and trades can officially be announced.

The Chicago Bears are projected to have the most salary-cap space, with more than $91 million, while the New Orleans Saints have the least as they are projected to be over the cap by more than $58 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

Teams must be under the salary cap by the start of the 2023 league year.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler contributed to this report.

43 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Giants at 4 is kind of misleading when they don't have their starting QB or running back under contract.

Of course, the Jets don't have a starting QB, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Giants also have no WRs, no TE and horrible secondary. They also inflated the cost of Daniel Jones who isn't good. 

Daboll sold his soul to the devil to make the playoffs this year.  They are going to be in a world of trouble next year when every break doesn't go their way like it did this year.

They are also in a really tough division with the eagles,  cowboys and if the commanders ever got a QB.....

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets have 24 free agents to either resign or replace, the cap went up 20 plus mil and the Jets are 3 mil over.

OK so they cut Corey Davis and Carl Lawson. That's 26 open roster spots 

And here comes Aaron Rodgers bloated contract uh oh where did the draft picks go? 

The churn is a real thing but spoiler alert well run teams don't replace 50 percent of the roster in the offseason. Where are they getting these players next year? The XFL? 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets have 24 free agents to either resign or replace, the cap went up 20 plus mil and the Jets are 3 mil over.

And here comes Aaron Rodgers bloated contract uh oh where did the draft picks go? 

The churn is a real thing but spoiler alert well run teams don't replace 50 percent of the roster in the offseason. Where are they getting these players next year? The XFL? 

6-11

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Spotrac has us at $2.9M over the cap -- 18th in the league.  14 teams are worse off than us.

I am interested to see who shakes free in Minnesota.  They have options, but are buried.  Eric Kendricks to replace Mosley?  Trade Mosely?  

Za'Daruis Smith?  Big Savings if traded or cut.  

Adam Thielien probably gets released, but still carries a huge dead cap hit.

People are worried about the Jets Cap, please.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

OTC has us at (-2.8m). The draft class will only cost us ~$4m in cap to sign, less any compensation given up for Rodgers plus his $15m hit.

We will be fine on cap space, Davis, Berrios, Whitehead, Lawson gets you $37m or so. Mosley and JFM could be restructured to drop their cap hits. I'd imagine in a situation where you get Rodgers it would be advantageous to know you have those 2 locked in for the next 2 seasons.

This. Even if I don't fully align on everybody who's kept or cut, those are just details (and besides, it's not like we get to choose).

My preference is to outright dump Mosley, not restructure him. What's not going to happen is Douglas doing nothing with his thumbs up his ass and let him count $21MM against the 2023 cap when they have so much more space than they need in 2024.

At just $7MM for an average full-time starter (who wasn't elite, but was noticeably better after his slow start on a new D) I'd be pretty surprised if they cut Whitehead, though. If they were changing DCs maybe, but they're not.

I don't know that Tomlinson is as safe, at double Whitehead's pay, when he ****ing sucked end to end and the only reason he was brought in was that there would be no downtime while he acclimated to a new system. I'd send him packing, since they could get someone at half his price or less and wouldn't be any worse if next year's going to be a repeat of 2022.

Again that's just nitpicking over which ones get dumped vs restructured. But I agree overall they should have little difficulty in clearing a good $50MM or more.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My preference is to outright dump Mosley, not restructure him. What's not going to happen is Douglas doing nothing with his thumbs up his ass and let him count $21MM against the 2023 cap when they have so much more space than they need in 2024.

I'm with you on this.  I wish they had given Sherwood more snaps last year to know if he can play.  If they cut Mosley post June 1, according to Jet X Factor his cap hit is under $5 million in 2023, $10.4 million in 2024 which seems reasonable.  Mosley could also take a pay cut and keep playing if no viable alterative is on the roster.

i know im in the minority here but i want to keep Corey Davis and Laken.

Laken has been one of the best at his position. could just be a bad year. and Davis, lets not have the worst QB play in the NFL for 2 years cost us another guy (MLF). yes Davis has struggled but who was throwing at him?

and then look at the money. Davis is getting cut to save money? but at 10 mil a year he is a bargain. who are we getting at less than 10 mil to replace him, another Berrios?

and Laken makes what? 12-14 mil? we need help on the OL and if you cut him who are we getting a guy that makes 6 mil a year? thats Dan Feeney. i think all the injuries on the OL affected him. i think he comes back next year strong. 

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm with you on this.  I wish they had given Sherwood more snaps last year to know if he can play.  If they cut Mosley post June 1, according to Jet X Factor his cap hit is under $5 million in 2023, $10.4 million in 2024 which seems reasonable.  Mosley could also take a pay cut and keep playing if no viable alterative is on the roster.

On June 1st cuts the team doesn't get the cap savings till June 1st. So his cap number will be there throughout FA. I think they're more likely to restructure his deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. Even if I don't fully align on everybody who's kept or cut, those are just details (and besides, it's not like we get to choose).

At just $7MM for an average full-time starter (who wasn't elite, but was noticeably better after his slow start on a new D) I'd be pretty surprised if they cut Whitehead, though. If they were changing DCs maybe, but they're not.

I don't know that Tomlinson is as safe, at double Whitehead's pay, when he ****ing sucked end to end and the only reason he was brought in was that there would be no downtime while he acclimated to a new system. I'd send him packing, since they could get someone at half his price or less and wouldn't be any worse if next year's going to be a repeat of 2022.

Again that's just nitpicking over which ones get dumped vs restructured. But I agree overall they should have little difficulty in clearing a good $50MM or more.

I think Tomlinson is stuck here this season. Just makes more sense to hope he turns in around in a new year than to lose the money and pay his replacement. I fully expect a C/G in the draft

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

My opinion differs than most. I wouldn’t want him back even if he takes a 50% pay cut. Just don’t want him on the field starting. Go with a rookie.

Watching the playoff games the difference to me is dramatic. Up until that last hit out if bounds, that is, lol.

But Saleh is smitten no matter how many times her sucks on film, so I expect him back and to be another year worse. 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Tomlinson is stuck here this season. Just makes more sense to hope he turns in around in a new year than to lose the money and pay his replacement. I fully expect a C/G in the draft

I don’t know what direction they’re going in the draft, but waiting until there were no centers under contract I think makes it less likely.

I can’t complain at all with last year’s draft class but ideally heading into McGovern’s final contract year was the time to draft a raw guy who’d ride the bench as a rookie.

This year that position would be tackle, seeing how both presumptive starters (Brown & Becton) are also both FAs in ’24.

But who knows. 

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

How much Wilson busting affected this rebuild can’t be overstated. In a perfect world, we’d have won about 6 games with him showing marked improvement. 
Just imagine how different things would feel knowing we had a rising young QB, and a top 10 pick in the draft. 

Instead here we are grasping at straws trying to find a QB, with a new OC and staff that excites nobody, and a HC and GM on the hot seat. Ugh.

And that is the problem.  The majority of QB's bust.  But when you take one high and they bust, it sets you back BIG TIME.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

This view is too logical and reasonable.  The question is whether Woody and the Biz Guys in FP get it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Giants at 4 is kind of misleading when they don't have their starting QB or running back under contract.

Of course, the Jets don't have a starting QB, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

That is a very good point.

• Upvote 1

The Jets have left a lot of room to get creative. I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that they move on from guys like Lawson, Davis, and/or Whitehead- if they really want to go for it this year they could look to keep those guys while reducing their cap hits by tacking on void years to their deals and convert their salaries into signing bonuses. Could also ask them to take pay cuts in exchange for guaranteed salary. Q is really the only contract we have to worry about next year, so taking on dead cap in 2024 isn’t such a bad idea strategically speaking. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets have left a lot of room to get creative. I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that they move on from guys like Lawson, Davis, and/or Whitehead- if they really want to go for it this year they could look to keep those guys while reducing their cap hits by tacking on void years to their deals and convert their salaries into signing bonuses. Could also ask them to take pay cuts in exchange for guaranteed salary. Q is really the only contract we have to worry about next year, so taking on dead cap in 2024 isn’t such a bad idea strategically speaking. 

A agree with the premise. For Lawson it really comes down to how they feel the injury impacted him this year. Will next year be a rebound? He didn't live up to those $$$ so they need more production from him, even on a restructured deal.

I think Whitehead is safe.

Corey Davis...damn I wanted him to be safe. The WR market exploded and his $$$ are actually manageable. But he got hurt so much I think they will walk away and take a chance on another vet.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

This makes no sense. You need 11 guys.

You want to keep them fresh, okay, you need 22.

Half of them on each unit should play special teams, you are still at 22.

Injuries happen. You get 4 backups on offense and 4 on defense. Hell, let's splurge and they can have a dedicated kicker and punter.

That is 32 guys. Someone has to learn how to long snap.

But these 32 guys, Aaron Rodgers being one of them will SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

Also when someone gets cut from another team we will need to SIGN THIS BEAST. So let's plan on having 33 guys to be safe.

• Haha 1