Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't see anyone discussing another very real possibility.

What if Rodgers comes here, but Zach out plays him this summer?

Does Zach start and do we bring back his best buddy Berrios?

Lolololol

You probably took some of Rodgers mushrooms 

This is an insane post 

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Too many Jets fans have unknowingly grown comfortable seeing the Jets play in obscurity, hiding our shame in the Sunday 1pm window in front of regional audiences.

The fan base in full of emotional shut-ins afraid of sunlight.

I love 1PM Sunday games.  Best time to watch a game. 

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I may be in the minority here, but I see the Jets with a good, and improving, roster, but not a great one.  Brining in Rodgers and basically mortgaging 2025+ for a chance to get Rodgers and some other players to make a deep playoff run seems like slightly irresponsible fun.  But if the draft pick price for Rodgers is too high such that it would further cripple both the future and plan to make a go for it with Rodgers (i.e. the 2023 picks), I would be good with building the roster up, rolling with Mayfield or someone who can be traded for (like Tannehill), maybe taking a chance in the draft, and roll forward.  With Mayfield or Tannehill last year, we make the playoffs.  The Jets should only be desperate if Woody is desperate or Saleh/JD are worrying about being fired.  Woody should not care about the later.

If the Packers don't offload Rodgers' contract, they are completely screwed.  They will not be able to afford Love or anyone else for that matter.  they will get stuck with him in 2024.  They should be desperate to move this forward.  

This is where I'm at with things as well. Does adding a 40 year old Rodgers and whomever he brings in from the 'shot veterans' club make the Jets a truly elite team that is odds on favorite to win the SB? I don't see them being better than the Chiefs or the Eagles to be honest. Anything can happen in a one game playoff of course, but I think this team maxes out at 12-5 and a disappointing loss in the divisional round, then a lot of unanswered questions heading into 2024.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

This is where I'm at with things as well. Does adding a 40 year old Rodgers and whomever he brings in from the 'shot veterans' club make the Jets a truly elite team that is odds on favorite to win the SB? I don't see them being better than the Chiefs or the Eagles to be honest. Anything can happen in a one game playoff of course, but I think this team maxes out at 12-5 and a disappointing loss in the divisional round, then a lot of unanswered questions heading into 2024.

If that's the worst case scenario, where do I sign?

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This stat everyone keeps quoting about Rodgers back to back mvp is about as relevant as the stat that mark Sanchez is the team leader in playoff wins 

It's technically true but nothing to feel good about. 

citing hackett's record as a head coach in denver is even more meaningless, yet people continue to trot that out as if it has anything to do with hackett's abilities as a coordinator.

you aren't going to find me jumping up and down over hackett.  he's an experienced OC who seems well regarded by aaron rodgers.  most available OCs are either retreads who've previously been fired or newbies who've never held the position.  he was an OC before GB, although he pretty much always had chopped liver at the QB position.

curious who was your top choice for OC?  you seem great at criticizing things.  who would you have picked this off-season as OC?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Rodgers' "marginal" compensation for 2024 decreases to ~$45mm.  Then he decides if he wants to play again.  I have no doubt that year 1 without Rodgers is going to be like 2-15.  It will be a total reboot.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Lol you're delusional if you think Zach is outplaying rodgers. I'm not sure there is a qb in the league that Zach can outplay. He has been THAT BAD

9 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Actually, I'd go with "How do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways" (Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barret Browning) as an analogy for some Jets' fans love affair with Rodgers. Her sonnet is probably the ultimate example of pure unadulterated love in poetry. IMHO, of course.

Now, if the Jets do end up giving up a couple of first rounders for Rodgers, and the Jets crash and burn this season, perhaps we should be citing "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg or some T.S. Eliot stuff... "The Hollow Men" is about as bleak as it gets.

:-)

The Jets are more of a sonnet 130 situation 

My mistress eyes are nothing like the sun 

Her breath reeks 

It's a satire of love poems like how being a Jets fan is a satire of being a fan of a good team 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What's a while ago?  I do feel the compensation has been agreed to but if a while ago was after the top two alternatives were off the table the packers should have been grinning like the grinch.

One day we may just find out that it was prior to Hackett being signed.   

Down the road, I'm hoping that The Athletic or some other good reporting entity, does a fully detailed story on all this.  The same way they did the sensational story on the acquisition of Darnold, from fall QB scouting to draft.  

One thing we will all agree upon...  it will make for one fascinating read.

16 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Zach… is that you?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have no idea when the terms were negotiated or if they have changed at any point in time.

Douglas is really good with trades as long as he can be patient or tell the other team no thanks.

The Jets cant tell the other team no thanks they have gone all in on Rodgers long ago.

We shall see what he cost is.  If the Packers have no leverage and if Douglas is still the master negotiator we should be getting Rodgers dirt cheap.

there really is no way to prove or disprove your theory that douglas bungled his hand and gave GB leverage.  and i will grant there really is no way to prove my hypothesis that the trade comp has largely been settled for some time now.

but i am sure you will continue to make your claims that joe d screwed this up and gave away all leverage.  and yes, thinking GB was going to trade rodgers for late round picks is wishful thinking, even with the large contract obligation over their head.

15 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

First, ZW is not outplaying AR

Second, even if by some miracle he did, AR is starting, case closed. 

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

Lol you're delusional if you think Zach is outplaying rodgers. I'm not sure there is a qb in the league that Zach can outplay. He has been THAT BAD

Just jokes guys.  This Arod BS has become boring.  We gotta entertain ourselves somehow.

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If that's the worst case scenario, where do I sign?

lol I get it. The Jets have been a disaster the vast majority of this century. If Rodgers were 33 or even 35 I'd have no issue with trading for him because chances are he's gonna be around at least 4-5 seasons. At best, how long is ARod gonna be here? 2 years, max? Only one team can win the SB every year, the odds are quite slim that this works out the way you want it to. If he goes on his pilgrimage next year and decides to retire, now what?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

But Zach outplaying Rodgers would be an amazingly positive development for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

citing hackett's record as a head coach in denver is even more meaningless, yet people continue to trot that out as if it has anything to do with hackett's abilities as a coordinator.

you aren't going to find me jumping up and down over hackett.  he's an experienced OC who seems well regarded by aaron rodgers.  most available OCs are either retreads who've previously been fired or newbies who've never held the position.  he was an OC before GB, although he pretty much always had chopped liver at the QB position.

curious who was your top choice for OC?  you seem great at criticizing things.  who would you have picked this off-season as OC?

Kevin patullo from the eagles 

Truth be told I didn't see anything wrong with MLF 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Rodgers' "marginal" compensation for 2024 decreases to ~$45mm.  Then he decides if he wants to play again.  I have no doubt that year 1 without Rodgers is going to be like 2-15.  It will be a total reboot.  

well if that's the case, 2-15 isn't the worst thing since it gets you a pick a top the draft when the jets would need to find their next QB :) 

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

lol I get it. The Jets have been a disaster the vast majority of this century. If Rodgers were 33 or even 35 I'd have no issue with trading for him because chances are he's gonna be around at least 4-5 seasons. At best, how long is ARod gonna be here? 2 years, max? Only one team can win the SB every year, the odds are quite slim that this works out the way you want it to. If he goes on his pilgrimage next year and decides to retire, now what?

We've been in rebuild mode for a decade. We are entitled to some enjoyment. 

I would very much enjoy a 12-5 season knowing that nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs or the seasons thereafter. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There is a certain irony in his initials being MLF and him arguably getting screwed by Zach Wilson.

It's not even accurate to say MLF got fired 

He got the f out of dodge 

And good for him 

Time will bear out that MLF is a good coach and Hackett is a bad one 

• WTF? 1