Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He might.   And that would be bad.   But do you think Rodgers will want to sit on the sideline on Sundays watching Love play.   The cameras are constantly on him.   Or worse he’s on the team and inactive on game days.   This guy wants to continue to rack up stats and win another Lombardi to cement his legacy

60 million dollars and sticking it to the team you feel that has wronged you, I see that as more of the option than Rodgers skulking away and retiring.

In any case none of that is happening the trade will go through, far too much to lose and far too little to gain by all parties involved.

The Jets let the packers drag this out so that is what they are doing, it will get resolved before the draft.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why is he going to retire and not scoop up 60 million dollars?   He'll just show up and get paid not to play or he will make it very uncomfortable for Love and the packers.

agreed and good point, but this is why they are going to trade him first. They aren't bringing him back into their building without a pretty big change of heart. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I’m literally hearing from no where they Gute is on thin ice.   Send me the link if you’ve got some reporting.   

Nothing has been reported, I think it would be too early for any rumblings anyway.  I'm just giving you my perception. I don't think you want to have another losing year next year. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Excellent analogy.

The jets held all the cards and had all the options.  They and Rodgers screwed around for weeks because, hey the packers have zero leverage.

They actually declared he was going to the jets before any compensation was agreed to.  Then it is a huge surprise that the packers are actually going to make things difficult, and why can the packers makes things difficult?  the jets and Rodgers 100% tipped their hand that they had no other options, all the options dried up.

And here we are, what was once "Ha ha the packers have no leverage we will give them a 4th this year and maybe if they are lucky a conditional 3rd next year"  is now "Well we will give them two seconds at least and maybe we can get them to give us back some pick if Rodgers retires after one year."

When this all said and done the narrative will be "Well it is not ideal but it is what it is and we have Rodgers!"

Except for you just made that entire happening up in your head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

agreed there, but also, the point of the SB ready team getting the QB is to not gut the roster to do it. I guess it all depends on who they would be willing to give up. Sounds a little far fetched based on everything they have said. I think you need one of these teams to request to speak to Rodgers before it gets interesting. 

Yeah, that’s a good point too—I’ve seen (thinly sourced, but still) reports that Rodgers hates the Niners and would never agree to a trade there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, varjet said:

It think if the 49ers gave GB one of their their third round picks this year and their 1/2 next year (maybe the 1 if they win a playoff game. otherwise a 2), this deal gets done.  

Could be.

Also could be if the 9ers win a SB with Rodgers an angry mob of cheese heads dumps Gutekunst into an ice fishing hole.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Snook said:

Except for you just made that entire happening up in your head.

What part is not accurate?

Green bay had no leverage at all they had to get rid of rodgers and the jets are the only team interested, if the jets set a deadline green bay caves we already have rodgers.

Jets and rodgers dilly dally, all other options dry up and 100% tip their hand that Rodgers is the only choice and suddenly the packers have time and some leverage.

People are falling all over themselves now trying to invent options for the jets when they realistically have none.

If none of this was the case the trade would have happened long ago because the packers 'are desperate to get rid of rodgers and have zero leverage.'

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Excellent analogy.

The jets held all the cards and had all the options.  They and Rodgers screwed around for weeks because, hey the packers have zero leverage.

They actually declared he was going to the jets before any compensation was agreed to.  Then it is a huge surprise that the packers are actually going to make things difficult, and why can the packers makes things difficult?  the jets and Rodgers 100% tipped their hand that they had no other options, all the options dried up.

And here we are, what was once "Ha ha the packers have no leverage we will give them a 4th this year and maybe if they are lucky a conditional 3rd next year"  is now "Well we will give them two seconds at least and maybe we can get them to give us back some pick if Rodgers retires after one year."

When this all said and done the narrative will be "Well it is not ideal but it is what it is and we have Rodgers!"

you've repeatedly stated this nonsense, but continue to duck me when i ask you the following:

how could the jets have accelerated the timeline when they didn't know whether rodgers would even play in 2023 and before they were granted permission to actually speak to rodgers about whether he would be willing to play for the jets.

you've talked about how they lost leverage when carr signed elsewhere.  of course, carr signed BEFORE rodgers even emerged from the darkness, let alone before the packers granted the jets permission to speak with rodgers, let alone before the jets actually did speak to rodgers.

so again, tell us how the jets could have accelerated a timeline when the player in question hadn't decided (i) whether he wanted to continue playing and (ii) that he would indeed accept a trade to the jets.

you've said you would have put in place a deadline, and after that passed, move on.  given carr was out of the question by the time the jets knew rodgers would play for them, what were the options?  jimmy glass?  gardner minshew?  jacoby brissett?

if the jets followed your advice and declared a set-in-stone deadline, and actually held to said deadline, the QB for the 2023 would be someone i listed above, or someone even worse than these options.

so no, not an excellent analogy... 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

60 million dollars and sticking it to the team you feel that has wronged you, I see that as more of the option than Rodgers skulking away and retiring.

In any case none of that is happening the trade will go through, far too much to lose and far too little to gain by all parties involved.

The Jets let the packers drag this out so that is what they are doing, it will get resolved before the draft.

I agree.  I didn’t mean option two was retiring I meant option two was playing for a team like the pats

57 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nothing has been reported, I think it would be too early for any rumblings anyway.  I'm just giving you my perception. I don't think you want to have another losing year next year. 

Actually most people expect a losing year    We went 6-10 Rodgers first year.    This is a transition 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you've repeatedly stated this nonsense, but continue to duck me when i ask you the following:

how could the jets have accelerated the timeline when they didn't know whether rodgers would even play in 2023 and before they were granted permission to actually speak to rodgers about whether he would be willing to play for the jets.

you've talked about how they lost leverage when carr signed elsewhere.  of course, carr signed BEFORE rodgers even emerged from the darkness, let alone before the packers granted the jets permission to speak with rodgers, let alone before the jets actually did speak to rodgers.

so again, tell us how the jets could have accelerated a timeline when the player in question hadn't decided (i) whether he wanted to continue playing and (ii) that he would indeed accept a trade to the jets.

you've said you would have put in place a deadline, and after that passed, move on.  given carr was out of the question by the time the jets knew rodgers would play for them, what were the options?  jimmy glass?  gardner minshew?  jacoby brissett?

if the jets followed your advice and declared a set-in-stone deadline, and actually held to said deadline, the QB for the 2023 would be someone i listed above, or someone even worse than these options.

so no, not an excellent analogy... 

check ur dates.   Dark retreat ended Wed Feb 22.   Carr signed March 6.  

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

check ur dates.   Dark retreat ended Wed Feb 22.   Carr signed March 6.  

Rodgers himself said on the McAfee show that he didn't commit to play for the Jets until the Friday before that show aired - which I think was March 10. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, that’s a good point too—I’ve seen (thinly sourced, but still) reports that Rodgers hates the Niners and would never agree to a trade there.

I’m not sure about that report.   The OC for the Niners was his future coach McCarthy and it’s a whole new regime there now.  

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What part is not accurate?

Green bay had no leverage at all they had to get rid of rodgers and the jets are the only team interested, if the jets set a deadline green bay caves we already have rodgers.

Jets and rodgers dilly dally, all other options dry up and 100% tip their hand that Rodgers is the only choice and suddenly the packers have time and some leverage.

People are falling all over themselves now trying to invent options for the jets when they realistically have none.

If none of this was the case the trade would have happened long ago because the packers 'are desperate to get rid of rodgers and have zero leverage.'

I think it was always Rodgers or bust for the Jets.  I don’t think Carr was ever an option as long as they had a chance at Rodgers

57 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

Or, Green Bay might’ve been motivated to pull the trigger on the trade due to the deadline.

Are you not in favor of any deadline for this trade? What is the latest possible date you’re willing to wait for this trade to be consummated? Start of training camp? Monday of week 1?

Rodgers has never been inside the Jets training facility or lockerroom, what are the odds of a Super Bowl push if he’s not here for TC? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I agree.  I didn’t mean option two was retiring I meant option two was playing for a team like the pats

1. The pats suck 

2. no way that team pays Aaron 60 m for one year when they kicked and screamed giving the GOAT “fair” deals, literally every time contract time came.

3. Rodgers will have complete control here, not in NE, this plays a major part in this situation 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No. Carton from Carton and Roberts is the only guy that has said this. Hardly really credible and in the inside. Looks like he just trying to get clock bait. Wouldn't even say who the other team is. And said that that's now where AR will go.

BS. Was only a matter of time before some BS like this was made up. 

My husky Butch, has more inside info than Craig Carton. Plus I have trained him to obey, sit, and sh*t, when asked. A few things Carton still struggles with. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

This is why you fire Gute and Murphy-the logical answer for this roster would have been to keep Rodgers and trade Love.  that is how you get another first round pick.  I would give 13 for Love.  Why not?  

Because Love isn't that great?  The hype this guy gets at this point is, I think, a bit overstated/hyperbolic.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets have alot of contracts that can be fixed to move cap space into future years.  JD said it at the meetings.  I did not think GB had that flexibility, but maybe they do if they would trade the deadcap hit for trading Rodgers vs. the $16mm this year to keep him.  

The reporting I've heard/read says they can afford him if required, they just don't want to do so.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Or, Green Bay might’ve been motivated to pull the trigger on the trade due to the deadline.

Are you not in favor of any deadline for this trade? What is the latest possible date you’re willing to wait for this trade to be consummated? Start of training camp? Monday of week 1?

Rodgers has never been inside the Jets training facility or lockerroom, what are the odds of a Super Bowl push if he’s not here for TC? 

We could conceivably wait until training camp to trade for Rodgers. 

Favre wasn't here until August, playing in a brand new offense, and he won 8 out of his first 11 games before the torn bicep tanked his season. 

I would rather trade for Rodgers before well before camp, but it's not unrealistic that Rodgers could get here late in the summer and play well. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because Love isn't that great?  The hype this guy gets at this point is, I think, a bit overstated/hyperbolic.

The reporting I've heard/read says they can afford him if required, they just don't want to do so.

They’d have 10 million in cap savings this year if he played.   The problem is the 60 million extra in future years.  

37 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

don't know the deadline i would impose.  but it sure as heck wouldn't be before the jets actually met with rodgers.  to me, the only viable alternative was carr, and he signed with the saints before the jets met with rodgers, which obviously was before rodgers decided he would play for the jets.  after carr was off the board, the next "best" option probably was jimmy g, but i'm not losing sleep over losing him as an alternative.  everyone else is plan d, e, f, or g.

i do know my deadline it isn't april 4.  truthfully, before training camp opens would be fine, although obviously the sooner, the better so rodgers can start meeting with the jets staff and his teammates.

as to putting a deadline to GB, unless the jets were prepared to stand by that deadline (and of course that means having a good backup plan), i doubt it would have caused the packers to blink.  once rodgers went on mcafee and said he would play for the jets and knocked packers management, i think that poisoned the well.

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

To me it makes sense that the jets understood Hak could get Rodgers when they hired him

they may have felt they had a good chance.

but they certainly weren't executing a trade without speaking to him.  and given they didn't actually speak to him until march 7, the day AFTER carr signed, my point holds.  the jets couldn't realistically put a take-it-or-leave-it offer to the pack before they actually met with rodgers, and once carr signed elsewhere, they had no good backup (maybe jimmy g would have satisfied some, but i doubt many would be excited to enter 2023 with jimmy g and zach)

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

but they certainly weren't executing a trade without speaking to him.  and given they didn't actually speak to him until march 7, the day AFTER carr signed, my point holds.  the jets couldn't realistically put a take-it-or-leave-it offer to the pack before they actually met with rodgers, and once carr signed elsewhere, they had no good backup (maybe jimmy g would have satisfied some, but i doubt many would be excited to enter 2023 with jimmy g and zach)

*publicly.  

Most of the time these guys talk and know what is going on and have for ages.  You hope they don't leak it to the press, but usually they do.  It looks like they knew and didn't leak it to me.  That seems like it is being well run, but we won't know for sure until the guy is in uniform and not sucking.

30 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

Yes the jets officially spoke to him March 7.   I believe Hack and AROD had conversations months ago