Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

Just now, Smashmouth said:

If we  get lazard its no doubt to replace Corey Davis. Not sure why you guys are talking Moore 

I conflated two separate things as a result of reading the "Browns interested in Elijah Moore" thread.

It's too late to turn back, now.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Still need speed and shiftiness, and that would be a mostly slower (for the most part) WR/TE group.  

Lizard still has some speed.  I don't think we could trade Moore anyway because of cap ramifications.  Now Corey Davis on the other hand.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

yeah but they were supposed to win all last year. 

If they were in fact considered "favorites" (they were not, the Dodgers were), baseball playoffs is a fickle exercise. Especially a 3 game series.

All that said, they blew a division lead which would have given them a much better shot in the playoff, and that was very LOL Mets.

I think we can now leave the Mets out of this and not spread that contagion to this football team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

It’s alright. Lazard isn’t great. He’s ok

Correct.  But what Lazard does well is block on the running game which you need in this offense.   Rodgers also trusts him to be where he’s supposed to be.   Also a great locker room guy.    What he isn’t is someone who will blow the top off a defense

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I hear ya, but I can't convince myself that the fallout from doing that would be any worse than the sh*t show we've experienced over (at least) the last 12 seasons.

High reward comes with high risk. I have no illusion that Rodgers will be here beyond next season, and I'm good with that. 

I want a chance to see the Jets go to the SB, and Rodgers gives me hope. I really don't care about 2024 or beyond that. Let the dead bury the dead.

Fair enough

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

He also signed Nate Herbig, which shouldn't be overlooked.  This is why signing free agents is such a risk.  Tomlinson was a VERY solid player in San Fran.  Then, he comes to the Jets and stinks?  Perhaps he was as solid as he was because he played beside Trent Williams.  Who knows, but it lets hope he turns around.  Otherwise, LOTS of money wasted.  Again, this is why drafting well consistently and finding lunch-box free agents types every year seems to be the way to go.  

Totally agree with the last sentence in particular. Fill gaps with solid mid-market players, but the draft is where it’s at for playing acquisitions with.

To me the biggest flag for Douglas is that he had a rep for being an OL guy but almost all of his acquisitions have been expensive FA’s and high draft picks and it’s not like he has a tremendous hit rate. Part of that comes from the philosophy of building depth with cheap replacement level free agents instead of mid-late round picks who could develop into cheap starters. And he’s traded away a lot of the picks he could’ve used to acquire those developmental guys. Just doesn’t seem like sustainable practice there and it should be pretty simple to do well.

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Jacobi Myers just signed for 3 years, $33M with the Raiders. That should help establish the Lazard price tag.

The Raiders of all teams setting a good market for WRs. That’s a good deal for the Raiders. Should expedite the WR signings.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

A little melodramatic, no?   Replacing an oft injured underperforming WR with a solid if not spectacular vet familiar with the offense is hardly letting Rodgers commandeer the front office.  

Isn't Lazard supposed to be top option in this admittedly underwhelming FA WR class? 

I wouldn't put Lazard at the top of this WR class, though I think he's fine. But again, that's incidental; you're assuming we'd be signing Lazard if our QB was Carr (or Wilson, or whoever). Possible, I guess, but I dunno.

This sounds 100% like an Aaron Rodgers 'request', dare I say demand. LMFAO. And guess what. I'm fine with it. He's a FA and won't cost us draft capital. We needed another weapon at the WR position anyway. And while I, as a fan, want Moore to do well and the Jets to unlock his potential. I would totally understand if the Jets decided to trade him and draft a slot receiver because they soured on his attitude/effort/fit. 

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Recruiting one of your new QB's favorite targets isn't exactly handing him the keys.

Why wouldn't you want your QB to have players around him that he works well with?  This seems like something that should be done more often.

Trusting an all-time great to make these types of decisions is quite reasonable.  In fact it would be unreasonable not to.

This isn't the Bengals asking Burrow if they should draft Chase or Sewell. I absolutely don't think it's reasonable for these decisions to be made in full or in part by a one-year rental. In this case, the player happens to be pretty good, so it's fine in the particulars if not in principle...unless, of course, Rodgers makes a Lazard acquisition a condition of agreeing to the trade, and Douglas is so cucked by him that he gives Lazard $40mm guaranteed. I guess we'll see.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Recruiting one of your new QB's favorite targets isn't exactly handing him the keys.

Why wouldn't you want your QB to have players around him that he works well with?  This seems like something that should be done more often.

Trusting an all-time great to make these types of decisions is quite reasonable.  In fact it would be unreasonable not to.

+100  Do people believe Brady had no say in bringing in Gronk to Tampa??

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

If you can get him for roughly Davis's price, it's a no-brainer move

Yeah depends what $ they're discussing, but if it's even in that Davis ballpark it's a good fit as it helps balance out the WR corps by finding what it's missing: a big target who can go deep but also play an actual role in blocking when needed. They don't need another 5'10"-6'0" 180-190-lb WR, and Davis - while a good fit on paper - has been just too unreliable.

Only adds to it the more obvious points of his history with both the incoming QB and OC. 

Even if he's a couple million more than Davis he's still easier to fit in that (a) they'll backload it instead of an 8-figure base salary coming up, and (b) the cap is - and will be - higher than the day they inked Davis.

I'd rather not see him in the $14MM+ range but it just means they have to be more careful about their depth signings. Swap out depth signings like Dan Feeney & Jake Martin for $1MM instead of $3MM players and the team doesn't miss a beat, while clearing the disparity between spending $10MM vs. $14MM on a starter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

+100  Do people believe Brady had no say in bringing in Gronk to Tampa??

To be fair that was a one-year-deal sorta thing.

I think Lazard is an upgrade over Davis simply because of health, but I understand the trepidation of "why are we signing this dude to a multiyear deal at the behest of the quarterback who is only committed for one?"

Then again, I think they're mostly just looking for reasons to hate at this point.

• Upvote 1