OBJ reportedly lowers asking price to $15 mil per year

AFJF

So risky due to injury history. What if he’s a key player and then goes down post trade deadline during the season? If they sign him, I would still consider a WR at 13. Jets can’t afford to have a WR corps of Wilson and jags, with jag tight ends. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

So risky due to injury history. What if he’s a key player and then goes down post trade deadline during the season? If they sign him, I would still consider a WR at 13. Jets can’t afford to have a WR corps of Wilson and jags, with jag tight ends. 

We have WR depth. We have Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman and Mims right now. That's probably the deepest WR room in the whole league. Now I'd imagine if we signed OBJ, Davis would be out via trade or cut. But there's depth there. So even if OBJ went down to have Wilson, Lazard and Hardman as your 1-3 is still great.

I think some don't realize how good Wilson is. He's a for sure #1 WR with a good QB. I don't want to say he'll be Davante good. But he/'' be close to that IMO. So OBJ and Lazard would be 2nd and 3rd options. We also are likely still a running team if Hall is healthy. 

24 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Go check out his stuff at SSPN....if you can find it emoji28.pngf955ec88b25c7c84259e716075f11002.jpg

My favorite part about this fake account is the image of the baby he stole off the internet in his pinned tweet.  If you look in his comments he’s called out on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If OBJ thinks he’s getting anywhere near 15 million he’s gotta be delusional Offer  him the Sterling Shepherd contract as they played the same number of games last year with incentives to get to 5 million 

Media: Odell how’s it feel to be back in football and be beck  in the Big Apple! 
OBJ: Yeah man, feels good to be back! 

Media: Zach Wilson is currently the starter. 

OBJ: 
2F9DA14D-9CE0-4932-9F40-BC99C2BF1D14.gif.7a211cae84e7468a38afbaa88dd64830.gif
Necessary

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, AFJF said:

Worth it or not?

From Albert Breer Column:

Aaron Rodgers trade should happen soon due to the GMs involved - Sports Illustrated

Word before his appearance at the Arizona Biltmore on Tuesday was that Odell Beckham Jr. was looking for something in the neighborhood of $15 million per year. That’s down from where he was previously, so I do think there’s room for negotiation here, and I do think showing up at the hotel where the owners’ meetings were taking place was a savvy move from a business standpoint.

Pat Kirwan says he is worth more than the Vet minimum but he would set the ceiling at $4 million,

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Pat Kirwan says he is worth more than the Vet minimum but he would set the ceiling at $4 million,

In all honesty I wouldn't offer him anything.  But I think he gets around $8 mil with some incentives to make it more.

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

Even at around the same price, I'd rather have Corey Davis.  They're both an injury risk, but hearing CD speak he's a positive veteran leader on the team.  That's not what you're getting with OBJ.

I just want to win games and feel OBJ gives us a better shot at winning games. I saw what he did in 12 games for the Rams. OBJ would be another weapon alongside Garrett Wilson, Hardman and Lazard. Aaron Rodgers wants to play with OBJ. It seems like it's going to happen, so embrace it, or don't... I really don't care if you don't like him because he yelled at some guy on a plane. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I just want to win games and feel OBJ gives us a better shot at winning games. I saw what he did in 12 games for the Rams. OBJ would be another weapon alongside Garrett Wilson, Hardman and Lazard. Aaron Rodgers wants to play with OBJ. It seems like it's going to happen, so embrace it, or don't... I really don't care if you don't like him because he yelled at some guy on a plane. 

That's fine.  I just don't want the distraction.  Outside of injury, I don't think CD is as bad as he is given credit for either.  If things take a turn, I think he would be a worse distraction than E Moore who we were all okay with getting rid of.

But if you think OBJ coming off of 2 ACL injuries is that significant of an upgrade.  I don't care either.

1 minute ago, rtnelson said:

That's fine.  I just don't want the distraction.  Outside of injury, I don't think CD is as bad as he is given credit for either.  If things take a turn, I think he would be a worse distraction than E Moore who we were all okay with getting rid of.

But if you think OBJ coming off of 2 ACL injuries is that significant of an upgrade.  I don't care either.

He looks in peak physical shape after he took an entire season off to get that knee right. He's not being asked to be the #1 receiver. I think he could fill a role for the Jets making critical catches to move the chains and another added threat in the redzone. I could see him catching 8 to 10 touchdowns for the Jets with Aaron Rodgers as our starting quarterback. He caught 7 touchdowns with the Rams in just 12 games with Stafford as his QB after escaping the Browns quarterbacked by Baker Mayfield.

• Upvote 3

On 3/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, AFJF said:

Worth it or not?

From Albert Breer Column:

Aaron Rodgers trade should happen soon due to the GMs involved - Sports Illustrated

Word before his appearance at the Arizona Biltmore on Tuesday was that Odell Beckham Jr. was looking for something in the neighborhood of $15 million per year. That’s down from where he was previously, so I do think there’s room for negotiation here, and I do think showing up at the hotel where the owners’ meetings were taking place was a savvy move from a business standpoint.

Since 2018, OBJ missed 40% of the games he was eligible for.  That alone prevents him from being a $15M per year player.  But because of his immense talent, I would take a $12.5M one year chance on him, as long as we get rid of Davis.  And I think OBJ should jump on that deal.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You want OBJ yammering in every huddle about needing 120 yards over the last 2 games with the playoffs on the line for his $5MM bonus?

And then he doesn’t get it and (by not force-feeding the ball to him) & we instead ram Breece & Wilson down peoples’ throats, we make the playoffs with an OBJ who’s angry at the QB and coaches, and has a new incentive of spite? He’s already got his SB ring, remember.

He’s too much of a proven selfish hothead to tie money to any me-first stats of significance. Pay him or don’t; incentives tied to (NLTBE) games started, or team goals, if anything. He wants a $1MM bonus for being SB MVP, ok have at it.

Agree to disagree I guess. We likely wont sign him, if this is the case. But appears thats what most of you want. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

He looks in peak physical shape after he took an entire season off to get that knee right. He's not being asked to be the #1 receiver. I think he could fill a role for the Jets making critical catches to move the chains and another added threat in the redzone. I could see him catching 8 to 10 touchdowns for the Jets with Aaron Rodgers as our starting quarterback. He caught 7 touchdowns with the Rams in just 12 games with Stafford as his QB after escaping the Browns quarterbacked by Baker Mayfield.

I worry about the ACL and I also think he's a total loon

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Agree to disagree I guess. We likely wont sign him, if this is the case. But appears thats what most of you want. 

Here's where I could be convinced, but it's less likely to happen (I'm not aware of any contracts drawn up like this):

Above a certain threshold (say 700 yards), he gets $X per yard. This way there isn't some all-or-nothing incentive worth millions.

Pick a number as the base = $10MM (make it millions less if he'll sign it, by all means). That's for 0-700 yards. Then instead of a multimillion dollar bump for 1000 yards (where he gets nothing for 999 yards), make it ~$10,000/yard (more or less, depending what the base amount was). So if he finishes with 978 yards he's not breaking s**t and sounding off on everyone everywhere as the playoffs begin. 

Further it allows him to make even more if, in theory, he somehow finishes with 1300 yards it'd be a $6MM bonus. TDs I wouldn't incentivize, though, because I'd want zero player-incentive distractions in the RZ or at the goal line.

The reason isn't just his past history as a me-first nut, but that other players' future pay will be based on their current stats, too. It's better to just pay him with some additional incentives if he plays, whether it's # of games or total # of snaps on offense, or whatever works out best.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Here's where I could be convinced, but it's less likely to happen (I'm not aware of any contracts drawn up like this):

Above a certain threshold (say 700 yards), he gets $X per yard. This way there isn't some all-or-nothing incentive worth millions.

Pick a number as the base = $10MM (make it millions less if he'll sign it, by all means). That's for 0-700 yards. Then instead of a multimillion dollar bump for 1000 yards (where he gets nothing for 999 yards), make it ~$10,000/yard (more or less, depending what the base amount was). So if he finishes with 978 yards he's not breaking s**t and sounding off on everyone everywhere as the playoffs begin. 

Further it allows him to make even more if, in theory, he somehow finishes with 1300 yards it'd be a $6MM bonus. TDs I wouldn't incentivize, though, because I'd want zero player-incentive distractions in the RZ or at the goal line.

The reason isn't just his past history as a me-first nut, but that other players' future pay will be based on their current stats, too. It's better to just pay him with some additional incentives if he plays, whether it's # of games or total # of snaps on offense, or whatever works out best.

Yeah I hear ya and I think OBJ is definitely a special case.  My only point was, I don’t believe he would accept a contract based predominantly on games played, coming off his injuries. If it’s a small amount that’s one thing but if you are breaking it down as 6 mil plus 6 mil games played incentive, I do believe he will get a better deal. And that’s fine if you don’t want him. But yardage and TD incentives give him incentive to play at a high level and not just show up. 

40 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Yeah I hear ya and I think OBJ is definitely a special case.  My only point was, I don’t believe he would accept a contract based predominantly on games played, coming off his injuries. If it’s a small amount that’s one thing but if you are breaking it down as 6 mil plus 6 mil games played incentive, I do believe he will get a better deal. And that’s fine if you don’t want him. But yardage and TD incentives give him incentive to play at a high level and not just show up. 

The pro we have is that he wants to play with Rodgers. So he’s likely to take more of an incentive deal to do that. He wants to win. Which is never a bad quality to have in a locker room.

I would prefer not to sign him because Rodgers is notoriously prickly about whom he targets and freezes out, and his relationship with OBJ is bound to be combustible. The best case scenario is that Garrett Wilson gets a huge target share and OBJ slides in as WR2, but if OBJ still thinks he’s a #1, it’s going to cause friction. It didn’t matter as much with the Rams because Kupp was both low-maintenance and already established, but Wilson might not be so easy to placate if/when there are a few big third and eights and Rodgers is consistently locked onto Beckham. Or, worse yet, Rodgers sours on Beckham and decides to unperson him in the offense

• Upvote 2

On 3/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, AFJF said:

Word before his appearance at the Arizona Biltmore on Tuesday was that Odell Beckham Jr. was looking for something in the neighborhood of $15 million per year. That’s down from where he was previously, so I do think there’s room for negotiation here

See, players are taking discounts to play for the Jets!

John Cusack Film GIF