Odell visiting Jets on Monday

1 hour ago, slats said:

Drafting TEs early is tricky because the position just doesn’t have first round value in general. So when you take a TE (or safety, or RB) early, you’re banking on that player player being elite to justify the pick, whereas the OT/DT/WR/etc. can justify itself with simply solid play.

Also, Kelce was drafted in the 3rd and Kittle in the 5th. I don’t know what went on with Ruckert last year, but that’s about as early as I’d generally want to take one. 

Yea that's why I was pretty specific about elite TE in my comment.

I would want to trade down to the mid 20s range if we take a TE.

As for ruckert, dude looked like a beast blocking TE late last season.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea that's why I was pretty specific about elite TE in my comment.

I would want to trade down to the mid 20s range if we take a TE.

As for ruckert, dude looked like a beast blocking TE late last season.

I’d love an elite TE, don’t get me wrong here. I just think the science of the NFL draft still struggles with finding, “consistently solid.” I mean, how many first round busts happen every year? Like half? The idea of finding - not only a capable starter, but- an elite prospect at a lesser valued position seems like a pretty risky approach. Even though I don’t love an OT there, I do see it as the much safer pick. 

12 minutes ago, BigB said:

Still I would rather use that money on free agent safety Bates or Poyer or even a Center.

No those positions are the least important positions on the field other than RB. Need as many weapons as possible for Rodgers 

No those positions are the least important positions on the field other than RB. Need as many weapons as possible for Rodgers 
Completely disagree ... OT, G, C, LB are all far far more important than Odell.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He sure was productive when he helped get the Rams to the SB with a lot of big catches.    9 for 110+ against the 49rs in the NFCCG and the 2 catches for 50+ yards in the short time on the field in the SB wasn’t nothing.  
Not $15M per worthy but he could have a place in this offense, he’s not coming to be a #1

I honestly don't expect much from OBJ during the regular season he's a good signing because we are already deep at WR and can afford to sign him to make the QB happy and for a playoff run....Jets fans aren't used to being in win a SB mode it's a never ending 3 year  mindset.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Defense and OL still wins in the playoffs. 

If Rodgers is so good then 

Lazard

Hardman

Wilson

Mims or Irvin Charles or Corey Davis and our TEs and RBs should be good enough.

If he needs another WR then draft one in 2nd or fourth round. 

OBJ has not played in a year and always hurt. If on the cheap ok but not more then a 1 yr contract...sorry not a fan of OBJ 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I understand the need to bolster the OL with high picks from time to time, but my preference is to find the guys who fit the athletic profile that they’re looking for and stockpiling those guys in the middle rounds for development. The Jets currently have those guys plus Mitchell and AVT (although I prefer he stay at guard) as capable OTs. I just don’t see it as the massive need some are making it out to be but, again, understand that in this draft it’s a strong possibility that I’m at peace with. 

Yeah, I’m with you. I’m at peace with tackle early as I understand they need to add depth and a possible long term starter. That said, adding a guy like Blake Freeland who’s a really good athlete and was good in college in the second round would accomplish adding a little depth and possibly a long term starter too.

It is an odd situation where there’s just such an expectation the veterans on the roster get hurt, so I understand why there’s a need for a “third starter” type but I’d also suggest free agency I’d a safer route than the draft there if you’re a win now team. I guess part of that feeling is also how much capital we’ve seen Douglas throw at the OL in terms of draft picks and money and what the return has been.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barkus said:

More of a big picture take, ie: trading for  40yr old Aaron Rodgers and paying him 60 million, signing OBJ, etc.

The big picture is winning. I'm not sure what the issue is with that. The Jets have been rebuilding for 50 years, it's time to change it up

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The big picture is winning. I'm not sure what the issue is with that. The Jets have been rebuilding for 50 years, it's time to change it up

No issue here, I was just replying to the poster who thinks trading for a 40 yr old Rodgers, paying him 60 million, trading Moore, signing 30yo old OBJ is NOT going all in. ?‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I’m fine with winning. Signing washed unstable malcontents to catch passes doesn’t align with winning 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Completely disagree ... OT, G, C, LB are all far far more important than Odell.

OT they will address with a 1st RD pick. Guard? We have Tomlinson and AVT firmly intrenched. Center well sign some free agent and for LB maybe Kwon comes back. They can most definitely fit Odell in and fill those other positions.

OT they will address with a 1st RD pick. Guard? We have Tomlinson and AVT firmly intrenched. Center well sign some free agent and for LB maybe Kwon comes back. They can most definitely fit Odell in and fill those other positions.
Odell still lags far behind in importance.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’m fine with winning. Signing washed unstable malcontents to catch passes doesn’t align with winning 

You're letting your personal feelings get in the way of reality.  You're not looking for him to be a #1 WR, probably not even a #2. He's a weapon to keep the defenses honest just like Hardman. Or maybe we can just have Wilson getting double teamed all game instead. 

But please rely on your assessment of a person who you know nothing about and have never had any interaction with.  Just what the media portrays. Classic ? behavior. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Word is he’s visiting AZ right after us. Very odd. He could’ve visited them this whole time since he lives there. Why after our visit. Still think we hold an upper hand. But if he’s money chasing we could be out.

Source?

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bullet dodged. OBJ to Baltimore. I’m sure he took the deal because of the $ the Ravens offered. Good riddance. 

Good for OBJ. He wasn’t getting that from the Jets. Nice job by his agent. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Good for OBJ. He wasn’t getting that from the Jets. Nice job by his agent. 

That is absurd.  The Ravens just threw away $18 million that could have gone to Jackson.  I'm glad it's them and not the Jets.  What a horrible signing.  He obviously still thinks he's a #1. The Ravens have no top receivers.  He wasn't getting close to $18 million from the Jets and he would be a #3 or #4 here, which his ego can't handle.  He has his ring, so he's chasing $ not winning.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, undertow said:

I honestly don't expect much from OBJ during the regular season he's a good signing because we are already deep at WR and can afford to sign him to make the QB happy and for a playoff run....Jets fans aren't used to being in win a SB mode it's a never ending 3 year  mindset.

Exactly, and who knows if our current group will all be healthy all year long.  Everyone’s so quick to worry about him as a 3rd, what if GW goes down for a few weeks?