Jets wave Mann

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

One could say he cost us Trevor Lawrence...

I'm not sorry to see Mann go, because his punting was often poor, but the hate he gets for the Jets not having Lawrence is stupid.

He's a football player (well, a punter) and he made a football play when he made that tackle on the punt return. He did his job, and I'll never blame a professional football player for doing his job.

Plus, even if we had lost that game, Jacksonville still would have had the top pick based on tiebreakers, so would still have picked Lawrence.

Anyway...glad to have Morstead back, as he is a big upgrade over Mann.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

K first off -- MLF is singlehandedly responsible for all things "MIMS" that went wrong. So that's a wash.

Secondly, there's forensic team looking into how Bryce Hall went from our best DB in 2021, to unmitigated disaster. I suspect foul play. 

Other that that;Trash draft. But, I will credit JD with continuing to improve at his job. He went from bad in 2020, to drafting (literally) the DROY and OROY (and Breece coulda been OROY 2.0)... had the fat bastard not fell for the Mormon bait and switch (classic utah), then he'd have pristine resume.

I say gave him AR for a year or two. Let's see what happens. 

You know I'm on team Mims still despite what I said above.  As I mentioned in a subsequent post, the PROCESS was pretty good for a lot of those 2020 picks, Mims especially:

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only positive you can say is the process was pretty good for most of the selections.

Becton was a LT prospect while Wirfs was a RT who has yet to take a snap at LT and got to play with Brady, who gets the ball out quicker than perhaps any QB in NFL history.  Was Wirfs the right pick?  Yeah, especially in hindsight.  A high end RT is still a better pick than a questionable LT.

Mims was a big bodied, fast WR with some high point catch ability that only cost a late 2nd.  And in a few games his rookie year he actually impressed when Flacco was making the throws.  Hard to hate the process there, though double-dipping in a strong WR class should have been the play.

Davis was supposed to fill that FS center fielder role, which one can argue is a premium position.  No idea why he failed so miserably but I’m not sure that there were huge red flags about him either when he was selected.

Zuniga had freakish athleticism that’s always a worthy gamble at EDGE, the position that requires athleticism more than any other, historically.

Perine was a bad pick.  No defense there.  You don’t take unathletic RBs in the middle rounds.  You can grab those off the UDFA scrap heap.  

I’m always down to take a QB in the mid rounds basically every year so I still don’t get the hate there even in hindsight.

Clark was, again, the right kind of pick:  A pipeline OL.

Hall had 1st/2nd round grades pre-injury and actually looked pretty good until we switched over to a zone heavy scheme.

Trading the 6th for a worthless CB was a strange move.  No doubt there.

Mann was supposed to have a big leg but something was missed there for sure because he never demonstrated that here.  

It was a weird draft that sucked but the process behind at least SOME of the picks made sense.  Juxtapose that to the Macc era where you couldn’t even justify the picks at the time unless you were an insane homer.  

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He cost us at LEAST one game last year, two awful punts right down the middle with no hang time.

His gross and net avgs were always Gross, his only  claim to fame was he was a good tackler after making terrible punts.

No, he deserves the scorn he gets, however the ones who deserve more scorn are douglas and saleh and boyer for not tossing him at least a year earlier when our FG kicker was a better punter than him and then the injury replacement guy (who we just resigned ) was far better than him.

100% agreed. He sucked and only stuck around because he was a draft pick -- should have been jettisoned before last season.

19 hours ago, rangerous said:

The guy was a punter in the nfl for three seasons. How many wins did his punting cost? Probably next to zero. I’m not surprised he was cut after they signed morestad but he doesn’t deserve to be dissed so much.

didn't his punting cost us trevor?

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, I was hard on Mike Maccagnan over the years, and rightfully so.  Only fair that I'm hard on Joe Douglas when it comes to the 2020 class, for which we're not too far from closing the book:

2020 Draft Class in review

• LT Mekhi Becton (1.11):  13 impactful starts to date; can't stay healthy and came close to eating his way out of the league (not a problem for @The Crusher but certainly a problem for a pro athlete).  Might be in shape now, so...cool?  Status pending but so far a massive bust (literally and figuratively).  @Matt39
  • WR Denzel Mims (2.59):  42 catches, 0 TDs to date.  Current WR4 at best.  Jury may still technically be out but it's not looking good at all.  Thus far a bust.  Sadness.  @Paradis
  • S Ashtyn Davis (3.68):  Advertised as an athletic center fielder FS.  Ended up at SS and then relegated to backup duties (0 starts in 2022).  3 career INTs.  Somehow still on the team, much to the chagrin of @pointman, as Davis is the bane of his existence.  Bust.
  • EDGE Jabari Zuniga (3.79):  Fit the athletic profile to justify the selection, but most certainly a swing and a miss.  Spent 2022 with the Saints (1 game played).  1.0 career sacks.  Bust.
  • RB La'Mical Perine (4.120):   Argubaly the worst selection of the bunch, as his upside was effectively Bilal Powell.  Did drag LSU S Jamal Adams into the end zone once, @JiF@T0mShane, @Larz, @bitonti but only has scored 2 pro TDs and didn't appear in a game for the Chiefs in 2022.  Bust.
  • QB James Morgan (4.125):  Only @jetsrule128 can likely provide the long list of teams that have given Captain Morgan a shot.  I'm always down with taking QBs in the midrounds... @jgb ...... but wooh boy, I sure wish we'd grabbed a more useful one!  Bust.
  • OL Cameron Clark (4.129):  Hard to hate much on an attempt to bring in a pipeline type mid-late round OL, especially one who experienced as much terrible injury luck AFTER he was selected as Clark did.  But alas, the result is the result.  0 games played in the NFL and already out of the league.  Bust.
  • CB Bryce Hall (5.158):  Probably the best pick of the class, but still one that didn't end up panning out despite displaying some 1st/2nd round upside in his collegiate career.  1 career INT and 19 PDs to date.  5 games played (0 starts) in 2022.  Meh.
  • P Braden Mann (6.191):  If you're going to draft a Punter, in any round, you would hope he's at least league-average.  Mann was not.  The best things he did (like tackling and fake punt throws) had little to do with Punting.  Now off the team.  Bust.
  • Trade Notes:  Can't discuss a draft class without discussing the trades that were made in a given year, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out before. 
    • Trading down where possible in a deep 2020 class was a smart move for a team with a lot of needs, and Douglas, clearly wanting to stick and pick at 13, did this twice, moving down from 48 and ending up with picks 59, 125, 129, and a 2021 6th rounder.  But doing so caused the Jets to miss out on a better WR like Van Jefferson (2.57 - 93 catches, 1,391 yards, 10 TDs)
    • Douglas also shipped pick 6.211 off for Colts CB Quincy Wilson, who only appeared in 3 games (1 start) for the 2020 Jets, did not play in 2021, and has been a Practice Squad-caliber player for the Steelers since.  Some useful talent was available at 6.211, including the player the Colts took at that spot, KR/PR/CB Isaiah Rodgers (27.0 yards per KR; 8.3 yards per PR).  Also available were WR Freddie Swain, S Kamren Curl, WR Jauan Jennings, S Geno Stone, DE James Smith-Williams, CB Dane Jackson, and LB Tae Crowder, all of which have been useful pieces in the league.

CC:  @Beerfish, @kevinc855, @Pac

I remember at the time sort of complaining that JD tried to draft "a little bit of everything," referencing the famous quote from some great military commander that "He who defends everything defends nothing." He did double dip with OL Clark in the late fourth round, but I wish he'd gone for a second OL earlier.

I really thought JD should have double dipped at OL and WR in the 3rd round before starting to gamble on "upside" BPA types.  IIRC, Davis was very raw, more of a speedy athlete than a player, and Zuniga had a checkered college history with lots of injuries. I don't recall the names nor how they've panned out, but there were some good WR and OL prospects in round 3 that he passed on.

It would have been nice if at least one of the five 3rd-4th round flyers had paid off, but none of them really ever did.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I remember at the time sort of complaining that JD tried to draft "a little bit of everything," referencing the famous quote from some great military commander that "He who defends everything defends nothing." He did double dip with OL Clark in the late fourth round, but I wish he'd gone for a second OL earlier.

I really thought JD should have double dipped at OL and WR in the 3rd round before starting to gamble on "upside" BPA types.  IIRC, Davis was very raw, more of a speedy athlete than a player, and Zuniga had a checkered college history with lots of injuries. I don't recall the names nor how they've panned out, but there were some good WR and OL prospects in round 3 that he passed on.

It would have been nice if at least one of the five 3rd-4th round flyers had paid off, but none of them really ever did.

This is all fair.  I loved the Zuniga pick because his RAS score was off the charts and it was a worthwhile shot to take.  But the others were unexciting at the time and there was a lot of mid-lower level talent I would have liked to dip into in those middle rounds, particularly at WR.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, rangerous said:

The guy was a punter in the nfl for three seasons. How many wins did his punting cost? Probably next to zero. I’m not surprised he was cut after they signed morestad but he doesn’t deserve to be dissed so much.

Two last year…2nd Pats and Detroit.

Mann was inconsistent. He needed to go. However, a punter should never have to punt 9 times in a single game. 3-4 times should be a season high. He was guaranteed to fail. Hopefully Morstead isn't put in the same situation.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:01 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, I was hard on Mike Maccagnan over the years, and rightfully so.  Only fair that I'm hard on Joe Douglas when it comes to the 2020 class, for which we're not too far from closing the book:

2020 Draft Class in review

• LT Mekhi Becton (1.11):  13 impactful starts to date; can't stay healthy and came close to eating his way out of the league (not a problem for @The Crusher but certainly a problem for a pro athlete).  Might be in shape now, so...cool?  Status pending but so far a massive bust (literally and figuratively).  @Matt39
  • WR Denzel Mims (2.59):  42 catches, 0 TDs to date.  Current WR4 at best.  Jury may still technically be out but it's not looking good at all.  Thus far a bust.  Sadness.  @Paradis
  • S Ashtyn Davis (3.68):  Advertised as an athletic center fielder FS.  Ended up at SS and then relegated to backup duties (0 starts in 2022).  3 career INTs.  Somehow still on the team, much to the chagrin of @pointman, as Davis is the bane of his existence.  Bust.
  • EDGE Jabari Zuniga (3.79):  Fit the athletic profile to justify the selection, but most certainly a swing and a miss.  Spent 2022 with the Saints (1 game played).  1.0 career sacks.  Bust.
  • RB La'Mical Perine (4.120):   Argubaly the worst selection of the bunch, as his upside was effectively Bilal Powell.  Did drag LSU S Jamal Adams into the end zone once, @JiF@T0mShane, @Larz, @bitonti but only has scored 2 pro TDs and didn't appear in a game for the Chiefs in 2022.  Bust.
  • QB James Morgan (4.125):  Only @jetsrule128 can likely provide the long list of teams that have given Captain Morgan a shot.  I'm always down with taking QBs in the midrounds... @jgb ...... but wooh boy, I sure wish we'd grabbed a more useful one!  Bust.
  • OL Cameron Clark (4.129):  Hard to hate much on an attempt to bring in a pipeline type mid-late round OL, especially one who experienced as much terrible injury luck AFTER he was selected as Clark did.  But alas, the result is the result.  0 games played in the NFL and already out of the league.  Bust.
  • CB Bryce Hall (5.158):  Probably the best pick of the class, but still one that didn't end up panning out despite displaying some 1st/2nd round upside in his collegiate career.  1 career INT and 19 PDs to date.  5 games played (0 starts) in 2022.  Meh.
  • P Braden Mann (6.191):  If you're going to draft a Punter, in any round, you would hope he's at least league-average.  Mann was not.  The best things he did (like tackling and fake punt throws) had little to do with Punting.  Now off the team.  Bust.
  • Trade Notes:  Can't discuss a draft class without discussing the trades that were made in a given year, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out before. 
    • Trading down where possible in a deep 2020 class was a smart move for a team with a lot of needs, and Douglas, clearly wanting to stick and pick at 13, did this twice, moving down from 48 and ending up with picks 59, 125, 129, and a 2021 6th rounder.  But doing so caused the Jets to miss out on a better WR like Van Jefferson (2.57 - 93 catches, 1,391 yards, 10 TDs)
    • Douglas also shipped pick 6.211 off for Colts CB Quincy Wilson, who only appeared in 3 games (1 start) for the 2020 Jets, did not play in 2021, and has been a Practice Squad-caliber player for the Steelers since.  Some useful talent was available at 6.211, including the player the Colts took at that spot, KR/PR/CB Isaiah Rodgers (27.0 yards per KR; 8.3 yards per PR).  Also available were WR Freddie Swain, S Kamren Curl, WR Jauan Jennings, S Geno Stone, DE James Smith-Williams, CB Dane Jackson, and LB Tae Crowder, all of which have been useful pieces in the league.

CC:  @Beerfish, @kevinc855, @Pac

Superb breakdown. JD lovers continue to be willfully ignorant of these salient facts and cold reality. This set us back immensely. A superb 2022 draft, a mediocre 2021 and this 2020 draft is his honest record. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, Bungaman said:

He didn't knock it out of the park - it was subpar for sure. But between Covid restricting face time with picks, his first year on the job without his people in place, his rookie season on the job - it's not an easy job. I don't think there were many stars drafted on any team that year. His picking has steadily improved. I don't think we've had a GM that improved over time in many years.

That's nonsense as far as Covid. Most posters here could have done better.

• Upvote 1