OT: Jets Writer Connor Hughes can’t find a home with $600K budget

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Some people prefer the Northeast for many many reasons. And some people do not want to move away from family, especially when they have or are about to have children.  I had an opportunity to move to a city in the Southwest from the NY Metro area many years ago when my company relocated.  I investigated the area and decided to find a new job and stay in the NY area. My wife and I were from the same town in Long Island and I had young children and did not want to move them away from their grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc. I also did not want to leave family.  Lastly, the culture and lifestyle in the Southwest was as different as you can get from the NYC area. I wanted no part of living in the SW and did not want to raise my children there.  

I stayed and it was the right decision for me and my family .  I just made the same decision again. I recently retired.  My family, including my children, all live in the NYC area.  I wanted no part of moving to Florida or NC or Arizona.  I sold my house and live in a wonderful community in the NYC suburbs. Again, I am very happy.  Some people do not want to pack up and leave everything they know and love.  

Gotta compromise somewhere. Or just rent. But generally the answer is move and start your own life/family. 

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Rent maybe.  But leaving family is often not the answer.  I am very close to my family and could not imagine living in a different geographic location from them then or now......  

we all have different priorities. 

• Upvote 1

Best thing to do is to break into an empty house, put your name on the mailbox, and claim squatters rights. Heck, even change the locks. It could take the real owners over a year to have you evicted, and by then maybe you found your own place! If not, just jump to another vacant house. Derp...

2 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Owning  a home is overrated especially w 7% rates. Not the time to buy. 

Forgot to mention along w rates at 7%, paying the disgraceful property taxes around these parts….rent or stay home w mom and dad 

• WTF? 2

I can certainly understand the pull of staying in or near one’s home town or state. I know I completely dislike CT but grew up here and now have a great relationship that I don’t want to lose. But at the same time we get throttled with taxes and what we get just seem to be worth it. They make these great claims about schools but in reality some of CTs schools are miserable in spite of the money that gets poured into them. And then there are other services the town offers ( or doesn’t offer) that are pretty ridiculous. I remember speaking with a guy who moved here from NH. He said the taxes were outrageous and the services he received in NH were equally as good. Money isn’t the only thing but when property taxes are so high they’re more like rent kind of makes one wonder why own anything.

• Upvote 2

Years ago social commentator Art Buckwald once wrote everything crazy in this country starts in California just look at the cost of housing. Homes originally costing $30,000 are selling for over 1 million dollars. Hell here in Washington DC you can still find a good $30,000 house for under 3 hundred thousand ( prices at the time of his statement) .

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Best thing to do is to break into an empty house, put your name on the mailbox, and claim squatters rights. Heck, even change the locks. It could take the real owners over a year to have you evicted, and by then maybe you found your own place! If not, just jump to another vacant house. Derp...

People who do that are bad, and deserve bad things.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Years ago social commentator Art Buckwald once wrote everything crazy in this country starts in California just look at the cost of housing. Homes originally costing $30,000 are selling for over 1 million dollars. Hell here in Washington DC you can still find a good $30,000 house for under 3 hundred thousand ( prices at the time of his statement) .

In Spotsy maybe, lol.

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The people who have made one of the four necessities of life unaffordable are even badder people. 

That would be capitalism.

A system, not a person/people.

No one in that system is entitled to property.  My family emigrated here from the UK for economic opportunity, but many Americans have become so entitled, they think free houses should be handed to them wherever they prefer to live.  As if, lol.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

That would be capitalism.

A system, not a person/people.

Systems aren't the problem; people are.  Systems are ideas created by people, and ideas get manipulated by people in a system that promotes hierarchical thinking.  This idea has run its course.  Time for a new idea (which won't be new at all, but rather an old one). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Systems aren't the problem; people are.  Systems are ideas created by people, and ideas get manipulated by people in a system that promotes hierarchical thinking.  This idea has run its course.  Time for a new idea (which won't be new at all, but rather an old one). 

Best of luck with your "new idea".

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Nyc and Boston and its suburbs are never going to be affordable again so there’s no point in bitching about it

I’m allowed to bitch. Don’t get me started on wages not matching inflation

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Nyc and Boston and its suburbs are never going to be affordable again so there’s no point in bitching about it

Affordable for who?

someone is paying these prices. 

my belief is that lots of parents buying homes or down payments for kids. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

is this a joke?

3 bedrooms in a 1000 sqf house?

are the rooms closet size?

I don’t know.  

Joe is a retired single dude.  He’s got plenty of options if he wants to move. 

That area went up >30% since COVID.  That price point would be a 2700 square foot 1.5 story house not long ago.  It stinks what’s happening to housing affordability.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, my dental hygienist and her bf went to an open house for a $335k fixer-upper in the absolute sticks of central Connecticut, and when they got there the line was so deep that there were two cop cars managing the parking situation. Crazy sh*t.

Probably better off, saves him the trouble of taking her name off the deed when she tells him she is in love with you.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

also, south jersey has plenty of inventory at reasonable costs so something is missing from the story too.

He has to be in Florham Park almost daily, so south jersey isn't really an option for him most likely.

I live in a town that has ferry access to NYC. You can be in lower Manhattan in 40 minutes. What happened to prices isn't anything I can't really every comprehend. It has to crash, I don't see how it is sustainable. Every house gets bought and it seems like a company pimps it out and flips it. There was this lady that lived two houses down from me. She was a hoarder, the house was a ranch, very small and in very bad shape. I swear I thought it was a knock down. They fixed it up and it is listed for $630k. Maybe Connor should by that one lol.

I will say damn Connor really putting all his personal information out there. Good luck to them.

• Upvote 2