Happy Juneteenth!!!

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

nice comment the slight racism for not blindly kissing the boot enough. 

Again really should close this politically charged post. 

Just to point out the reason some don't know the holiday is pretty in-depth discussion but basically its because this forced holiday has issues because of today political narrative on race relations being so bad today when obviously it is nothing compared to yesteryears in our nations history. 

As someone mentioned already you can look it up, but for Jets nation sake I'm pretty sure we don't need the  nonchalant racism towards American citizen. No human should be attacked based on the color of their skin, include "white" @Ghost420

interesting how you didn't call out the fact that Joe W. gets on a forum and shows passive aggressive racism with his completely ignorant comment. 

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, sciond said:

Additional info-know your history and things that should be taught.

Lets not forget it was the Democrats who did not want to relinquish their slaves. Those same people would enact JC laws. 

The NRA was created to protect the freed people  form Southern Democrats\ Klansman. One of the reasons 2A is so important to masses.

The same people have figured out ways to control these same freed since then. ( social welfare etc.)

Lincoln was a Republican and not a single Republican in congress owned slaves during at the time of the Civil War.

The above is not a political statement. Just historical facts as I support neither party. I have no desire to debate anything and I won't

makes political statements......says they aren't political statements, lol

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well then I must ask if you’ve ever been to a Juneteenth BBQ/Cookout my fat friend.  Soul food >>> all other food.  

I'm going to have to stick up for us EYEtalians, cause nobody makes better tasting food then us lol...  just kidding cause there's nothing like good food from all over the world.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sciond said:

Lets not forget it was the Democrats who did not want to relinquish their slaves. Those same people would enact JC laws. 

The NRA was created to protect the freed people  form Southern Democrats\ Klansman. One of the reasons 2A is so important to masses.

The same people have figured out ways to control these same freed since then. ( social welfare etc.)

Lincoln was a Republican and not a single Republican in congress owned slaves during at the time of the Civil War.

The above is not a political statement. Just historical facts as I support neither party. I have no desire to debate anything and I won't

If you really want to understand the evolution of political parties, look at their platforms and ideology through history and ask yourself which would be closest to the parties that exist today. Party names really mean nothing in that context. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 4

I am very surprised this is in this particular forum. I thought this was reserved for Jets football. Mods must be asleep again.  Contains politics, religion , choice words, and other things. NICE.  BTW, I have sadly come to the conclusion that most of you are nuts. With all due respect of course.

• Post of the Week 1

If you really want to understand the evolution of political parties, look at their platforms and ideology through history and ask yourself which would be closest to the parties that exist today. Party names really mean nothing in that context. 
It is SO hard now ... Republican used to mean more local governing less federal involvement ... Especially business related.

Now our government looks like a Jerry Springer episode. Both sides are represented by asshats.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Excellent article, and a long overdue day to reflect on our own personal investment in the equal opportunities sorely lacking within our inner cities. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/patriotism-unity/all-americans-should-celebrate-juneteenth-in-light-of-july-4th

On Philadelphia’s famed Liberty Bell, one can find the inscription, “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." The quotation comes from the Bible in Leviticus 25:10. That verse speaks of the Year of Jubilee, a time in ancient Israel when debts were forgiven, ancestral property returned, and slaves were freed.

It is a fit and right verse for Juneteenth , which we celebrate on Monday. Juneteenth only became a federal holiday in 2021, but its roots go back to the end of the American Civil War . It originated in Galveston, Texas, when, on June 19, 1865, the just-arrived Union army announced to the state’s 250,000 enslaved persons that they were free. Annual celebrations quickly arose within the African-American community and have continued up to the present day.

Making Juneteenth a national holiday does more than give official recognition to this cherished part of African-American history. It establishes a more complete picture of America’s pursuit of its ideals. In his Gettysburg Address, President Abraham Lincoln described America as a nation “conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” 

Our founding ideals were not celebrations of a perfectly realized now. Instead, they were prescriptions, the setting of a standard by which we would measure ourselves, by which we would seek to preserve what we already had achieved and to reform where we fell short.

Juneteenth comes 14 days before July 4, the day on which we celebrate these ideals as articulated in the Declaration of Independence. That charter, Thomas Jefferson would say, described the “American mind,” providing a key to our self-understanding. This self-understanding articulated a belief in human equality, especially in the possession of natural rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It also posited the government’s obligation to protect that equality and to preserve those rights.

In 1776, we had taken great strides toward realizing these commitments. But we still failed miserably on the issue of race-based chattel slavery. Despite many efforts, the institution remained, receding in the North but entrenching in the South. It treated enslaved humans like animals and trained masters in the cruel arts of despotism. Historically, then, July 4 was not separated from Juneteenth by 14 days but by 89 years. They were separated, too, by immense oppression, greed, and bloodshed.

Yet, at great cost, America removed the evil of race-based slavery from our midst. The Civil War and its attending constitutional amendments cemented in practice our theoretical commitments. We further fought slavery’s lingering grip in the form of legal racial segregation. The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s called us to a better fidelity — for America, as MLK said, to “live out the true meaning of its creed.”

In 1852, Frederick Douglass famously asked, “What to the slave is the Fourth of July?” Juneteenth provides the answer. Though late in time, liberty was proclaimed to the captives. June 19th celebrates that milestone, redeeming July 4th celebrations by fulfilling its inherent promise.

Juneteenth also calls on us to continue in the spirit it shares with July 4th. We must, as Lincoln urged his hearers at Gettysburg, rededicate ourselves to the principles of Independence Day and their realization on Juneteenth.

Some have called for linking the two holidays. They have suggested calling the time between June 19th and July 4th a “Fortnight of Freedom.”We would do well to heed this call. Let us remember the great cost separating the two. Let us celebrate the great unity found between them. Let us spend the next two weeks proclaiming liberty to all.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM RESTORING AMERICA

To the captive around the world, let that proclamation give hope. To the free here, let that proclamation give rise to gratitude and renewed dedication.

Adam Carrington is assistant professor of politics at Hillsdale College

Finally someone mentions Galveston, correct answer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sciond said:

Please let me know why you think any of that is relevant today?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Important Holiday ... Humanity has to remember its failures to avoid repeating them ...

So happy this is becoming a National Holiday ... Hope it doesn't turn into an excuse for more division.

Happy Juneteenth Brothers.

It absolutely is a necessary and long overdue holiday. 

It's also quickly become full of irony. It's already (as you can see in this thread) been hijacked by Whites of both major political religions in this country.

This holiday isn't a day for you to whine about because you feel unnecessarily slighted any more than it serves as an opportunity for you to spout your virtue signals. Newsflash: it's not about you.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

It is SO hard now ... Republican used to mean more local governing less federal involvement ... Especially business related.

Now our government looks like a Jerry Springer episode. Both sides are represented by asshats.

Know-It-Alls vs. Know-Nothings. Except I don't know which is which. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

interesting how you didn't call out the fact that Joe W. gets on a forum and shows passive aggressive racism with his completely ignorant comment. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  What?  It is a relatively new holiday.  I talked to a bunch of people who have no clue what it is.

Passive aggressive racism?  HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA.  Too funny.

• Post of the Week 1

First I want to applaud the OP at his effort for recognizing this holiday as an important event and I also want to applauded the Mods restraint at not locking this thread already. When I first saw it, I was going to post a guy eatting popcorn but I thought that would trigger some people. Good job by all.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  What?  It is a relatively new holiday.  I talked to a bunch of people who have no clue what it is.

Passive aggressive racism?  HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA.  Too funny.

To be honest, if you don't  know what this holiday means, you have been living in a cave until this weekend. Try turning on a TV and watching a news show. 

• Thumb Down 1