Joe Douglas vs Robert Saleh…Who is Under More Pressure in 2023?

Written by Phil SullivanJoe Douglas & Robert Saleh

The Jets have made some major personnel changes over the past few years with little improvement on the field in terms of wins and losses. Expectations are as high as they’ve been in years with the addition of Aaron Rodgers, but who is under more pressure to win in 2023; GM Joe Douglas or Head Coach Robert Saleh?

Check out this video as Glenn Naughton breaks down what everyone will expect from Douglas and Saleh as they prepare for a tougher NY Jets Schedule this season.

As we head into the heart of the 2023 football season, all eyes are set on GM Joe Douglas and Head Coach Robert Saleh. With the NY Jets’ intense schedule and the expectation for an outstanding performance following recent major personnel changes, the stakes have never been higher.

The addition of Aaron Rodgers to the team has escalated the level of anticipation. Despite this, it remains to be seen whether this will be the spark needed to turn the Jets’ fortunes around. The crucial question is, who is under more pressure to deliver – the experienced Douglas who orchestrated these changes or Saleh, tasked with maximizing the team’s potential on the field?

As we continue to watch the 2023 season unfold, remember that success in the NFL is never a guarantee. It requires not just talent, but strategic leadership, unity, and a great deal of resilience. Whether it’s Douglas or Saleh under the microscope, it’s crucial to support our team as they strive for success.

Stay tuned for more updates as we follow the NY Jets’ journey this season. Here’s to hoping for an exciting and rewarding season for the team and its fans. As always, let’s rally behind our Jets as they navigate through this challenging period. Go Jets!

Looking for more insights, game breakdowns, and expert opinions? Keep an eye on our upcoming articles and video content. We’re dedicated to bringing you comprehensive coverage of all things NY Jets. Don’t miss out!

The post Joe Douglas vs Robert Saleh…Who is Under More Pressure in 2023? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I did not listen to the video, but Douglas and Saleh are inextricably tied at the hip. If we are only dealing with a 2023 post season end decision, that is the only way that it can be looked at. Any record that is .500 or below, likely means the ouster of both. Unless there is a catastrophic early injury to Rodgers. That would probably be the only thing that could save them, and that would be shaky also.

• Upvote 1

Neither are on the hot seat this year outside of a diasterous year. The thought that they are is a fan and media based theory. The team talent is vastly better than when they took over. Woody Johnson can see that and he is the only person that matters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Neither are on the hot seat this year outside of a diasterous year. The thought that they are is a fan and media based theory. The team talent is vastly better than when they took over. Woody Johnson can see that and he is the only person that matters. 

I agree with this for the most part but Saleh is under more pressure as the talent level on this team has been dramatically improved under JD. It’s up to the coach to get the assembled talent to perform at a high level and bring us the championship we as fans have been waiting for 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I agree with this for the most part but Saleh is under more pressure as the talent level on this team has been dramatically improved under JD. It’s up to the coach to get the assembled talent to perform at a high level and bring us the championship we as fans have been waiting for 

If this were only a decision that is being considered for post 2023 season (which I understand the video was about), and Saleh is on the hot seat, that means the Jets did not make the playoffs, in a likelihood. Unless there was some huge extenuating circumstance (a la the aforementioned Rodgers injury), Douglas' seat would be equally hot. And rightly so. This roster was constructed to win NOW. He hired Saleh. I don't see how only one would escape that circumstance. 

9 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I can’t see firing a coach while we have a 2 year window with Rodgers. I’m extremely negative on Saleh but this whole team/staff/QB are tied at the hip and need to execute. Then worry about the fallout after the Rodgers window and beginning of the reload phase while they navigate a tough cap situation for a few years. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If this were only a decision that is being considered for post 2023 season (which I understand the video was about), and Saleh is on the hot seat, that means the Jets did not make the playoffs, in a likelihood. Unless there was some huge extenuating circumstance (a la the aforementioned Rodgers injury), Douglas' seat would be equally hot. And rightly so. This roster was constructed to win NOW. He hired Saleh. I don't see how only one would escape that circumstance. 

Agreed to a point. JD assembled the roster with I’m quite sure a heavy input what Saleh wants in a team and his type of players so it’s his job to make it happen. 
With that being said JD also hired Saleh so he is responsible to a degree as well but I don’t think he’s under as much pressure as Saleh. Saleh’s seat is warming up and he HAS TO get this team deep i mean deep into playoffs this year!! otherwise next year ( as I do believe he will get next year) both he and JD will need asbestos pants to sit down as both their seats will be cherry red h

21 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I can’t see firing a coach while we have a 2 year window with Rodgers. I’m extremely negative on Saleh but this whole team/staff/QB are tied at the hip and need to execute. Then worry about the fallout after the Rodgers window and beginning of the reload phase while they navigate a tough cap situation for a few years. 

ot 

I think JD, Saleh, Rodgers, Ulbrich and Hackett are on two year deals.  My guess is that most of the contracts expire at the end of 2024, and unless they bomb in 2023, there will be extensions.  Otherwise they are all on prove it years in 2024.   So I don't think any of them are going anywhere in 2024 even in the worst case.   Woody can let the contracts run out gracefully and reboot after that.  

JD and Saleh bombed their attempt to draft a QB thus far, but how ZW develops in the next year or so will have some bearing.  I think the next HC for the Jets should be an offensive one who can develop a QB, preferably a veteran coach.  

I think this season is all on saleh.  I remember way back in 82 when the jets were coming off their afc championship game (am duhe game) and nbc had coverage of the jets team. I remember them having a feature on chuck Ramsey and how he used to pul practical jokes on his team mates. The point is the team was loose and knew they were poised well to make the playoffs. The bottom line is they didn’t. They finished 7-9 and most likely was the reason Todd was replaced with O’Brien.

saleh needs to make sure these players don’t start believing their press clippings.  They have paper talent but must now win games.

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Great post except for the Saleh part.   While I'm not sold on him yet, my impression is that he is perhaps slightly below average with upside.  

I think its clear the talent level is rising under JD.  If we don't see marked improvements I have to think more of the blame would shift towards Saleh.  So I guess Saleh is under "more pressure".  But both of these guys need wins this year.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Great post except for the Saleh part.   While I'm not sold on him yet, my impression is that he is perhaps slightly below average with upside.  

That collapse last year was pathetic. I agree slightly below average with upside and worth taking this 2 year window with a good roster to see what he can do.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I think this season is all on saleh.  I remember way back in 82 when the jets were coming off their afc championship game (am duhe game) and nbc had coverage of the jets team. I remember them having a feature on chuck Ramsey and how he used to pul practical jokes on his team mates. The point is the team was loose and knew they were poised well to make the playoffs. The bottom line is they didn’t. They finished 7-9 and most likely was the reason Todd was replaced with O’Brien.

saleh needs to make sure these players don’t start believing their press clippings.  They have paper talent but must now win games.

The Jets fired Michaels after the 82 season  and Walton took over as coach in 83.  One of the biggest mistakes in Jets history was this coaching change.  Michaels had the team performing at a Super Bowl level in 81 and 82.  Walton's teams had incredible talent (thank you Michaels), but always underachieved and fell apart in big spots.  The only thing that kept Michaels from a championship was an uncovered football field.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets fired Michaels after the 82 season  and Walton took over as coach in 83.  One of the biggest mistakes in Jets history was this coaching change.  Michaels had the team performing at a Super Bowl level in 81 and 82.  Walton's teams had incredible talent (thank you Michaels), but always underachieved and fell apart in big spots.  The only thing that kept Michaels from a championship was an uncovered football field.

No argument there. The only major issue I saw with that 83 team, besides Walton, was McNeil being injured. He was only in 9 games. The dline was intact for all 16 games.  It’s too bad. That was one of the seasons they let slip away.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

I think its clear the talent level is rising under JD.  If we don't see marked improvements I have to think more of the blame would shift towards Saleh.  So I guess Saleh is under "more pressure".  But both of these guys need wins this year.

I agree with that, but a bulk of the quality talent on KC was drafted by John Dorsey, who they fired.  

JD and Saleh appear to be putting the team together from the Idzik/Mac/Bowles/Gase Period-but if they can't take it to the next level, they need to be replaced.  

Only way Saleh survives another 8-9 season is if the team is decimated by injuries (again).

I realize Saleh is not calling the plays, but Saleh sets the tone on how he wants the game to be called and makes critical decisions (use of time outs, punt vs go for it on 4th down, etc). We already fired our French OC after last season, but that kind of escape-goat move only works once.....then it's on the HC. If Jets fail the make the POs and the team is basically intact, Saleh will be fired. JoeD risks losing the locker room if he tries to run back the same coaching staff. Same reason he sat Zack last year...the locker room demanded it. Won't be any different with Saleh if Jets don't get it done this coming season.

It's JD. If the offense has significant injuries but the defense is elite again, Saleh stays. 

If Rodgers gets hurt and Zach diarrheas all over the field again resulting in the Jets missing the playoffs, JD should be launched into the sun. If Zach Wilson prevents JD from getting a QB2 that actually understands the position, it will be nearly as egregious as Macc passing on Mahomes and Watson because of Hackenberg -- the stakes and expectations are that high this year. This is a foreseeable and cheaply avoidable risk. It's like having kids and not having a life insurance policy. Reckless and inexcusable.

Every Zach defender here to a man would be guffawing wildly if Belichick drafted Zach. No one would be shaking in their boots worried that he's going to magically become a FQB. It's the most absurd defense of a Jets QB I have seen in my lifetime. And think about our ignominious history of defending garbage QBs.

JD better not hesitate to make the right decision at the end of this season if the season goes South... He has brought in very capable players for almost any coach to win with. Not saying SB this year, but deep into playoffs. If he doesn't make the right decision, then his job should be on the line as well.

Saleh is absolutely under more pressure. I could definitely see JD getting 1 more crack at HC if Robert looks like the same in over his head coach we saw at points the last 2 years. JD has had more than his share of misses but he’s also put together a roster now that should absolutely be good enough to at minimum make the playoffs.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

It's JD. If the offense has significant injuries but the defense is elite again, Saleh stays. 

If Rodgers gets hurt and Zach diarrheas all over the field again resulting in the Jets missing the playoffs, JD should be launched into the sun. If Zach Wilson prevents JD from getting a QB2 that actually understands the position, it will be nearly as egregious as Macc passing on Mahomes and Watson because of Hackenberg -- the stakes and expectations are that high this year. This is a foreseeable and cheaply avoidable risk. It's like having kids and not having a life insurance policy. Reckless and inexcusable.

Every Zach defender here to a man would be guffawing wildly if Belichick drafted Zach. No one would be shaking in their boots worried that he's going to magically become a FQB. It's the most absurd defense of a Jets QB I have seen in my lifetime. And think about our ignominious history of defending garbage QBs.

I think it's probably pretty equal but there is a very strong case to be made the Saleh has done a better job then JD.  What's Saleh's biggest blunder?  A few catch phrases and bad in game decision?  Meh, I'll take that w/ turning around the leagues worst D and creating a culture that is attractive to players.  Then you have JD, who is responsible for the biggest bust in franchise history (up there w/ all time NFL busts) and 3 last place finishes in the AFCE?  If JD didnt completely botch the QB position, do the Jets miss the playoffs?  Does it force Saleh to make the decision to bench the clearly not NFL caliber player, Zach Wilson?  What happens if Fields has Hurts like leap or Jones actually helps the Pats win this year?   idk  Its closer then we think but ultimately, I cant imagine Woody holding on to one or the other.  I think the both go if things go South.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Has to be Saleh - I don't think anybody can argue against the roster that JD has built

Agreed, but we have to remember that Saleh and Douglas attack the draft together with all of the scouts. The entire staff is involved in the process of the draft and it’s worked really well. JDs first draft was meh and since teaming up with Saleh the only miss has been Zach. I hope they last long enough to take another shot at drafting a QB. 

22 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Has to be Saleh - I don't think anybody can argue against the roster that JD has built

If the roster doesn't go the playoffs - what does it actually say about it?

Joe Douglas record as a GM has been horrendous, another non-winning season should be a friable offense.