This is going to be a disappointing season for some of you

Facts

1 hour ago, Facts said:

The whole best running back conversation is just silly. We are no longer in the 1970s and 1980s. The running back era is gone. Top-tier RB’s aren’t even getting paid.

Bragging about having the best RB’s is like bragging about having the largest peen in the small-peen support group.

You mix up drafting RB's early in a draft with their actual Value , Once again hard to waste time with this

8 hours ago, Facts said:

And it's not so much the Jets fault, as it is the insane expectations that some of you have.

These are some of the comments I have read this past week:

"Best RB room in the NFL"

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

"Best roster in Jet's history"

Lots of insane comments.

We were 7-10 last season and lost 6 games in a row. 

Coach: The same terrible rah-rah cliché BS coach we had last year.

QB: Aaron Rodgers is a Hall-Of-Famer and has brought respectability back to this franchise. For that, I thank him. I also think him for his leadership and his willingness to remove $30M+ from our books. However, he is also going to be turning 40 years old in a few months and one AFC Scout said in an interview with ESPN, "I think everyone is afraid to say he's declined a little". He also has to rely on an o-line that looks like dog crap (more on that below).

RB: Quite frankly I don't care about RB's. This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. The best offenses run very little. Don't get confused by total rush attempts - you must remove QB rushes. For example, the best offenses in the NFL - Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc are all in the bottom 10 of rush play percentage. They literally only run the ball to give the WR's a break and keep the defense honest.

WR: Our starting WR's are the same exact as last years 7-10 team outside of Lazard whose best season ever was 60 receptions. Honestly I think this group is fine but it's certainly not a high-end group.

OL: Here is where the entire offense falls apart. The o-line sucks. I saw one tweet that said during training camp "if (defenders) could hit the quarterback, most drives would be "ending with sacks".

Defense: Great. But same defense we had with our 7-10 record last year. 

I predict either 9-8 or 10-7 which will massively disappoint some of you who think this is some sort of super roster. With any luck we will get a coach next season that cares more about winning that making t-shirt worthy quotes.

oh my god omg GIF

17 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I am extraordinarily excited about the QB, RBs, WRs, DL and secondary.

I am extraordinarily worried that the OL will undermine all of it.

I agree with the general sentiment of this post.  However, as far as position groups, I would only say "extraordinarily excited" at QB and DL. 

The way I see it, our WRs don't have a ton of depth (GW absolutely needs to stay healthy) and our RBs, while good, are still somewhat of a question mark.  A lot depends on Breece's health.  If he's healthy then I'll agree with you.  If he's not, then we're probably relying on Dalvin Cook (who was sitting out there as a FA for any team to sign).  Though I will admit that I'm very optimistic about Izzy.  I just wonder how much of a chance he'll be given this year considering JD just spent all this money on DC.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Facts said:

And it's not so much the Jets fault, as it is the insane expectations that some of you have.

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

Lots of insane comments.

QB: Aaron Rodgers is a Hall-Of-Famer and has brought respectability back to this franchise. For that, I thank him. I also think him for his leadership and his willingness to remove $30M+ from our books. However, he is also going to be turning 40 years old in a few months and one AFC Scout said in an interview with ESPN, "I think everyone is afraid to say he's declined a little". He also has to rely on an o-line that looks like dog crap (more on that below).

RB: Quite frankly I don't care about RB's. This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. The best offenses run very little. Don't get confused by total rush attempts - you must remove QB rushes. For example, the best offenses in the NFL - Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc are all in the bottom 10 of rush play percentage. They literally only run the ball to give the WR's a break and keep the defense honest.

WR: Our starting WR's are the same exact as last years 7-10 team outside of Lazard whose best season ever was 60 receptions. Honestly I think this group is fine but it's certainly not a high-end group.

OL: Here is where the entire offense falls apart. The o-line sucks. I saw one tweet that said during training camp "if (defenders) could hit the quarterback, most drives would be "ending with sacks".

I predict either 9-8 or 10-7 which will massively disappoint some of you who think this is some sort of super roster. With any luck we will get a coach next season that cares more about winning that making t-shirt worthy quotes.

OP's basis for prediction Jets fans will be disappointed:

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

OP then proceeds to ignore all but the first (so we agree they're true I guess), then proceeds to 'debunk' the first, starting with the line "Quite frankly I don't care about RB's." Good thing NFL teams check their feelings at the door when game planning. Otherwise they'd have a bunch of 240 lb guys running all over the DL. MoR0nS investing in a bunch of fat guys to stop the run? Who does that?

Just dip on the season, please. Been there, done that on and off with the SOJF mentality since the 70s, this ain't the year to do that. 

• Upvote 2

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

Lots of insane comments.

Very good post.  

I think the WR line is off as Garrett Wilson is the best WR this team has seen in a VERY long time and will be a special player.

I also think a healthy Breece can be an impact level player (I just don't think we get him THIS year) 

Otherwise I believe this to be quite accurate.

16 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

It's fans that all doom and gloom about everything. Ppl around here I never seen once say anything positive about the team. 

You do realize we root for the NY Jets.   This isn't Denmark where people are farting rainbows.  

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

One brutal hit / awkward landing on AR and the season is toast.

Relying on Mekhi Becton in any capacity is insane.

If he miraculously is able to perform, whatever he can give has to be viewed as a bonus.

I agree in philosophy but not in practice. Certainly, Becton’s floor is 0.0 and while it may indeed be insane to rely on him, it may be less insane than the insane alternatives. It, of course, could be a fair criticism that these alternatives are the consequences of JD’s decisions and he has not done enough to introduce a better one.

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

Lots of insane comments.

I very rarely give anyone a downvote because I don't  like giving someone negativity  for voicing their opinion but this is a bunch of Debbie Downer horse crap. 

Let's  talk about the RB's for a moment. When KC had a young Hunt, I am very sure they ran the ball a lot. The problem is KC never replaced him. Williams had one good year after Hunt left but that was all. Since then they have had no resemblance of a franchise RB. Now we don't  know if Hall will bounce back to his former self but having Cook as your #2 back with the other young talent we have at the position is pretty damn good and these RB's will have more room to run than they had with Zach because teams will not stack the box against Rogers or he will shred them. 

Now let's  talk about QB. You say he is 40, you say he is in decline. Have you looked at what we trotted out at QB for the last 10 years? Those QB's are not even in the same Galaxy as Rogers as far as talent and maybe only Zach competes with him as far as arm talent. Anyone complaining about Rogers in terms of playing for this team needs to get a life. 

WR. As bad as the QB's were last season, Wilson still managed  a plus 1000 yard season and was named OROTY. He should have started his own religion because what he performed was nothing short of a miracle and let's  not forget all the times Zach didn't  look his way for God only knows the reason. With Rogers, there is no reason not to think he will go for 1600 and 10 TDs. Again, he did over 1000 with total dog crap throwing him the ball. Lazard is only going to help and if Davis can stay healthy, that is another target in the red zone. The WR room is totally respectable and the threat of the RBs will keep the S honest.  Yes, the run game will help the throwing game. Balanced O is a good thing. 

Agree on OL, they suck but that could change. I love what I have seen from Becton so far. Jury is out on this. 

As far as Saleh, I really don't  have a huge problem with him. Do I wish we got Dabol? Yes. He is who I wanted the Jets to hire after we fired Gase but Saleh isn't  terrible. A lot of coaches would have been afraid to pull Zach. He did it late but it was done and for inferior QB talent. 

I'm not even going to address the D. I think with the talent added there, they will be in the top 3 this season. When was the last time we had a pass rush like this? When was the last time we had a pass rush period.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetworks said:

OP's basis for prediction Jets fans will be disappointed:

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

OP then proceeds to ignore all but the first (so we agree they're true I guess), then proceeds to 'debunk' the first, starting with the line "Quite frankly I don't care about RB's." Good thing NFL teams check their feelings at the door when game planning. Otherwise they'd have a bunch of 240 lb guys running all over the DL. MoR0nS investing in a bunch of fat guys to stop the run? Who does that?

Just dip on the season, please. Been there, done that on and off with the SOJF mentality since the 70s, this ain't the year to do that. 

Thinking that before realizing it on the field is a set up for dissapointment.

While I think the team could win 12 games they haven't done it.

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

An argument can be made for Godfather I vs Godfather II.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Alien vs Aliens

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Terminator 2 vs Terminator

Empire Strikes Back vs Star Wars (A New Hope, if you must ;-) )

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wut?  Um, isn't that the very definition of the first level of success in the NFL?

If our GM has failed over the first five years of his six year contract to build a team that wins more games than it loses, and cannot make the playoffs even once over that stretch, then I would not expect than GM to be extended.  At best he goes into 2024 as a lame duck on the last year of his deal in a "prove it" year, make or break for him contractually.

Very few NFL Owners would reward a 5 year stint of extended losing/rebuilding with a new lucrative contract.

JD is such a difficult assessment.

On the one hand he had one of the best drafts in recent memory last year. 3 All Pro capable players including Sauce who might be a perennial All Pro and Gold Jacket recipient. And top it off with two solid starting caliber players in Clemons and Mitchell.

But the rest of the drafts have been at  best worse than average.

The handling of the OL is particularly bad. With only one small trade up the Jets could have drafted Wirfs Darrisaw and Creed Humphrey and had some additional pics that could be starters.

After the tragedy he allowed Salah to just roll with the offensive staff they had. They should have done everything they could to get a veteran assistant head coach that had developed a QB before. In fact because of drafting  Zach the ONLY choices for OC should have been OCs that had successful experiences  in developing  a QB. That was criminal.

You could make an argument he is our  best GM in a very long time but an equally valid argument that he is just not really all that good. Our record points to him not being very good.

44 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

JD is such a difficult assessment.

I don't agree at all. 

Any perceived difficulty is purely in the eyes of people who do not want to hold him accountable for the end results of the teams he's built.

Ultimately, a GM's job is to hire, sign and draft talent that as a whole wins games, makes playoffs and wins Super Bowls.

If you do those things, you are a success.  If you do not, you are not.

As of today, JD is simply not a success, no matter how much we might fanboi some of his later drafts, and some of his (admittedly great) trades (Adams, Darnold).  His teams have consistently and regularly been weak at QB (2023 TBD, but at great cost due to his previous failure in Wilson), O-line (esp. health and reliability) and overall offensive production, a product of both bad key personnel and perhaps bad coaching staff hirings.

Picking Sauce and Wilson does not free him of his previous drafts, or previous W/L record.  Not does one tragic coach death free him from filling that vacancy.  

At the end of the day, a GM really is what his record says he is, especially over several seasons time.

This is why I keep saying that JD's future will almost assuredly be determined by how the team wins this year.  If we win, make the playoffs, and show ourselves competant in a playoff game (even if not a win), I 100% believe our owner will extend JD before he becomes a lame duck in 2024. 

If we do not win more than we lose, even with AR (and that includes if AR gets hurt, that's one costly risk JD took getting him), and do not make the playoffs, at best I think JD goes into 2024 as a final year lame duck on a very hot seat, or he is outright fired (along with his coaching staff).  There is always the possibility that JD holds on, and only Saleh and the staff are fired (possible exception Hackett because of Rodgers in we get a Rodgers year 2).

But a losing season in 2023 will have to have consequences of some kind.  Truly, only Woody knows (and maybe doesn't know yet) what he would do in that situation.

44 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

You could make an argument he is our  best GM in a very long time but an equally valid argument that he is just not really all that good. Our record points to him not being very good.

I think he's an adequate NFL GM.  As with QB's, we've simply had materially inadequate for soooooooo long, we no longer can tell, as Jets Fans, what is adequate vs. what is great.  When you eat poop for a decade, even 3 day old shoe leather looks like prime rib by comparison.

Take out the subjectivity.  Wins, Losses and Playoff Appearances is 100% objective, and is the best tool now to determine JD's future.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Empire Strikes Back vs Star Wars (A New Hope, if you must ;-) )

I prefer Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Out is the start of the Empire being the Keystone cops instead of this Ominous Force. They failed at Hoth and allowed the rebels escape, an entire Imperial Armada can't capture a single ship. It takes a bounty hunter, a pretty cool one, to lure Luke to the Cloud City and the Empire/Darth still fails to capture him. It is by no means the abomination of Return (Ewoks) or the Sequels.

At least in Star Wars they blew up a planet.