This is going to be a disappointing season for some of you

Facts

And it's not so much the Jets fault, as it is the insane expectations that some of you have.

These are some of the comments I have read this past week:

"Best RB room in the NFL"

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

"Best roster in Jet's history"

Lots of insane comments.

We were 7-10 last season and lost 6 games in a row. 

Coach: The same terrible rah-rah cliché BS coach we had last year.

QB: Aaron Rodgers is a Hall-Of-Famer and has brought respectability back to this franchise. For that, I thank him. I also think him for his leadership and his willingness to remove $30M+ from our books. However, he is also going to be turning 40 years old in a few months and one AFC Scout said in an interview with ESPN, "I think everyone is afraid to say he's declined a little". He also has to rely on an o-line that looks like dog crap (more on that below).

RB: Quite frankly I don't care about RB's. This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. The best offenses run very little. Don't get confused by total rush attempts - you must remove QB rushes. For example, the best offenses in the NFL - Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc are all in the bottom 10 of rush play percentage. They literally only run the ball to give the WR's a break and keep the defense honest.

WR: Our starting WR's are the same exact as last years 7-10 team outside of Lazard whose best season ever was 60 receptions. Honestly I think this group is fine but it's certainly not a high-end group.

OL: Here is where the entire offense falls apart. The o-line sucks. I saw one tweet that said during training camp "if (defenders) could hit the quarterback, most drives would be "ending with sacks".

Defense: Great. But same defense we had with our 7-10 record last year. 

I predict either 9-8 or 10-7 which will massively disappoint some of you who think this is some sort of super roster. With any luck we will get a coach next season that cares more about winning that making t-shirt worthy quotes.

• Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 30
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Ugh 8
  • More Ugh 5
  • Haha 10

27 minutes ago, Facts said:

And it's not so much the Jets fault, as it is the insane expectations that some of you have.

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

Lots of insane comments.

QB: Aaron Rodgers is a Hall-Of-Famer and has brought respectability back to this franchise. For that, I thank him. I also think him for his leadership and his willingness to remove $30M+ from our books. However, he is also going to be turning 40 years old in a few months and one AFC Scout said in an interview with ESPN, "I think everyone is afraid to say he's declined a little". He also has to rely on an o-line that looks like dog crap (more on that below).

RB: Quite frankly I don't care about RB's. This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. The best offenses run very little. Don't get confused by total rush attempts - you must remove QB rushes. For example, the best offenses in the NFL - Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc are all in the bottom 10 of rush play percentage. They literally only run the ball to give the WR's a break and keep the defense honest.

WR: Our starting WR's are the same exact as last years 7-10 team outside of Lazard whose best season ever was 60 receptions. Honestly I think this group is fine but it's certainly not a high-end group.

OL: Here is where the entire offense falls apart. The o-line sucks. I saw one tweet that said during training camp "if (defenders) could hit the quarterback, most drives would be "ending with sacks".

I predict either 9-8 or 10-7 which will massively disappoint some of you who think this is some sort of super roster. With any luck we will get a coach next season that cares more about winning that making t-shirt worthy quotes.

You SO remind me of Showtime from the movie "Champions." Keep doing the Big Balls dance and shooting the ball backwards, and over your head and I promise you - one day, you too shall hit the rim!!! Keep trying Showtime!!

26 minutes ago, Facts said:

Exactly the same.  Except for Tony Adams/Adrian Amos taking over for Lamarcus Joyner, Al Woods and Quentin Jefferson coming in at DT, Will MacDonald IV being a first round pick, and drafting Zaire Barnes to compete with a handful of newcomers (Surrat, Johnson, Eguavoen, etc.) at LB.

#facts

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Facts said:

"Best D-line in the NFL"

"Best CB's in the NFL"

Lots of insane comments.

SOJF

• Upvote 2

I'm a Pats fan, and not here to start a fight, but OP's points remind me of some I've been making with regards to the Pats and their season / the AFC East as a whole.  I think fans of every team in the AFC East have things they can be optimistic about, but most of the teams also have some very real flaws or at least question marks.  It would not surprise me to see the worst team in the division still win 8+ games.  They could also win 5 or 6.  The best team in the division might win 15 games.  But they might also win only 11.

I think all the teams in the AFC East are a lot closer together than talking heads want to give people credit for.  Even the vaunted Bills still needed two kick returns for TDs last year to beat a dysfunctional Patriots team in what otherwise was a one score game for most of it.

Should be make for an exciting season (assuming nothing crazy like another Tua concussion), but I agree with OP: a lot of people who are buying hype are going to get really annoyed with how things turn out.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My expectations:

1. League average or better starting QB production.

2. Compete in every game, no blowout embarrassing losses.

3. Win enough to make the playoffs

4. Compete to the last whistle in any playoff games

Anything less than this is, IMO, an unacceptable outcome for 2023.

If they don’t make the playoffs heads should roll 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My expectations:

1. League average or better starting QB production.

2. Compete in every game, no blowout embarrassing losses.

3. Win enough to make the playoffs

4. Compete to the last whistle in any playoff games

Anything less than this is, IMO, an unacceptable outcome for 2023.

inflated expectations...... try this:

1. the mushroom plays at least 3 full games

2. a maximum of only 12 embarrassing blowouts. or a combination of a maximum of 12 blowouts/ 4th qtr collapses

3. lose enough games to pick in the top 5

4. ruin at least one teams playoff chance week 17

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

After watching last year's OL debacle, I've been worried and commenting since the spring about our OL and specifically our OTs. Yes, I knew Rodgers was a great QB but I had never watched a lot of him through the years. So when a lot of guys wrote AR doesn't need a good OL because he has such a quick release it did make me feel a little better.

And after actually getting to watch Rodgers a little bit during this preseason I think he might be one of the best QBs we could have ever gotten to play for us at this point in time. He definitely has the quick release, but he is also a super-smart QB who knows exactly when and where to get rid of the ball when there is pressure. Like today our OL is allowing too much pressure and guys have been getting to AR way too quickly (because we have backups playing for our starters), AR knows to take what the defense is giving him and throws a lot of short 10 yrd passes, instead of trying to hold it too long or force it into coverage and risk turning it over.

Of course, I would love for us to have an OT like we did in the past like a D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Marvin Powell, or Winston Hill, but I am hoping that Rodgers might be good enough to still get us into the playoffs (for the first time in 13 years) without having a pro bowl OT on our line. I'm going to keep my "glass is half full" outlook because with AR we are definitely not the same old Jets this year.

• Upvote 3