Who was a better QB in his prime? Rodgers or Peyton?

Manning or Rodgers?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Manning or Rodgers

• Peyton Manning
    • Aaron Rodgers

I voted for Peyton, but if Rodgers wins a Superbowl with the Jets, then I reserve the option of changing my vote to Rodgers.  Let's not forget, Peyton did it with 2 teams, and Rodgers now has the opportunity to match him.  If he does, than I change my vote in record time.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think if Rodgers played the majority of his home games in a dome instead of Lambeau his numbers would be pretty insane… But it’s a lot of “ifs.”

Peyton kind of dispelled this with his 55 TD / 10 INT, 5477 yard, 8.3 YPA season with the Broncos (at age 37 no less), no?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Peyton kind of dispelled this with his 55 TD / 10 INT, 5477 yard, 8.3 YPA season with the Broncos (at age 37 no less), no?

I mean Peyton is an all time great. I’m not saying he couldn’t play outdoors. I’m just saying that Brees and Peyton playing the majority of their games in a dome is a real thing. Lambeau is about as tough of an environment for a QB as exists.

• Upvote 4

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean Peyton is an all time great. I’m not saying he couldn’t play outdoors. I’m just saying that Brees and Peyton playing the majority of their games in a dome is a real thing. Lambeau is about as tough of an environment for a QB as exists.

Plus you're forced to spend a chunk of your free time in Wisconsin.  That should be an 8th Amendment violation.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus you're forced to spend a chunk of your free time in Wisconsin.  That should be an 8th Amendment violation.

It’s one of the reasons Packers fans don’t seem to realize how F’d they are. Going Favre to Rodgers was such a stroke of luck. Jordan Love will never succeed there and they’ll never be a FA destination. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I had to do it. You can smell those Manning numbers from the next room. Yowza

Is there a greater measure than replacement? They went from playoffs every year and the occasional Super Bowl to #1 overall in one ******* season with the rest of the team practically holding constant. If that's not value I don't know what is.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is there a greater measure than replacement? They went from playoffs every year and the occasional Super Bowl to #1 overall in one ******* season with the rest of the team practically holding constant. If that's not value I don't know what is.

What if the replacement was Curtis Painter? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

You've gone full Skip Bayless on Lebron with this stuff dude. Bizarre sh*t. 

The 2011 Colts fielded a QB time share of Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky. Reggie Wayne was 33! The backfield was Donald Brown and Joseph Addai. The Colts straight up tanked and were smart for doing so! This isn’t as much of an “Aaron Rodgers is great” discussion as it is a “Peyton was kinda mushy” discussion.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The 2011 Colts fielded a QB time share of Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky. Reggie Wayne was 33! The backfield was Donald Brown and Joseph Addai. The Colts straight up tanked and were smart for doing so! This isn’t as much of an “Aaron Rodgers is great” discussion as it is a “Peyton was kinda mushy” discussion.

forgetting-sarah-marshall.gif

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How dare you.

Rodgers Playoff #Stats:

22 games, 65%, 45 TDs, 13 INTs, 7.61 y/a 100.1 rating

Peyton:

27 games, 63%, 40 TDs, 25 INTs, 6.13 y/a, 87.4 rating.

I don't mean to bring Mr. Perfect into this but I think it's interesting.

Brady:

48 games, 62.5%, 88 TDs, 40 INTs, 7.0 y/a, 89.8 rating

Manning wasn't constantly garbage in every playoff game.  However unlike Brady, when he did struggle, he never got bailed out by his defense/scheme.  Don't think I ever saw Manning play poorly and his team lift him up.  His teams just turned into sh!tshows (ST & defense falling asleep against NO / Seattle debacle) and he followed suit.

Obvious example vs. our 2009 #1 defense

image.png.c1ad3f5ae3db6d98eb265d5f894a3476.png

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I don't mean to bring Mr. Perfect into this but I think it's interesting.

Brady:

48 games, 62.5%, 88 TDs, 40 INTs, 7.0 y/a, 89.8 rating

Manning wasn't constantly garbage in every playoff game.  However unlike Brady, when he did struggle, he never got bailed out by his defense/scheme.  Don't think I ever saw Manning play poorly and his team lift him up.  His teams just turned into sh!tshows (ST & defense falling asleep against NO / Seattle debacle) and he followed suit.

Obvious example vs. our 2009 #1 defense

image.png.c1ad3f5ae3db6d98eb265d5f894a3476.png

Austin ******* Collie!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

In my opinion Rodgers was better.  One way of looking at Manning’s playoff record is how frequently Manning’s losses came when his team was favored.  I remember reading an article which detailed how poor his record was against the spread in the playoffs.  It’s one thing to lose on the road as a 4 point underdog; it’s far worse to lose at home as a 7 point favorite. 
In Rodgers’ case, consider that Mike McCarthy choked away a playoff game against Seattle (It disgusted me how many Jets fans were clamoring for him to be our coach).  Also, if memory serves me correctly, one of Rodgers’ playoff loses came in an overtime game when he never got to touch the ball.  Context matters.

Back to Manning, I will thankfully never forget the first game to which I brought my son.  It was the 41-0 Jets win over Manning’, when Chad was our qb   That game was a total choke job.  With a hall of fame wide receiver, Manning was dirting passes right and left  Thanks, Peyton!   Even in college, Manning could never win the big one.  The year after Manning graduated, Tee Martin took  Tennessee to the national championship  

Finally, Manning won one Super Bowl.  In the second one, the Denver defense won the game.  Manning could barely throw the ball 10 yards in that game. 

• Upvote 2

I think it's a good debate, because Peyton's stats are discounted a bit because of the era he started playing in.  While the Colts were part of the reason why offenses changed, and the league placated to the receivers and QB more, there are years where Peyton had to play by the old rules.  However, he also gets a boost by playing indoors on a consistent basis, and Rodgers had to deal with GB/Chicago weather.  

I think the big difference between Rodgers/Peyton is that Peyton thrived on knowing the opponent's moves because he was more cerebral than the other QBs.  However, playoffs provide more time to instill new looks, or more urgency to change tendencies, which I think hurt him.  

I'm going to say prime is Peyton by a hair, but it's really close.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Pretty similar careers. Peyton won 5 MVPs and Aaron won 4. Both have a spotty playoff resume. 

Peyton has compiled more stats because Rodgers sat three seasons, but it appears Aaron will play longer. 

Why do you keep signing up? It is weird. Like just get one account, be serious and talk football. I don't get the other stuff, you obviously know football. This is a good thread.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Peyton was absolutely gutless in every big game. I get that the football savants of the world consider him to be the platonic ideal of QB play, but watching him spit the bit in almost every matchup was tough to watch. 

Peyton: 3-2 against Brady and Belichick in the playoffs, including 3-0 after spygate. All 3 wins were to go to SB.

This is some Mangenius/Gase level trolling. As my friend Hermoine would say, you need to sort out your priorities. 

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Peyton: 3-2 against Brady and Belichick in the playoffs, including 3-0 after spygate. All 3 wins were to go to SB.

This is some Mangenius/Gase level trolling. As my friend Hermoine would say, you need to sort out your priorities. 

Twinkie soft

I think it's a good debate, because Peyton's stats are discounted a bit because of the era he started playing in.  While the Colts were part of the reason why offenses changed, and the league placated to the receivers and QB more, there are years where Peyton had to play by the old rules.  However, he also gets a boost by playing indoors on a consistent basis, and Rodgers had to deal with GB/Chicago weather.  
I think the big difference between Rodgers/Peyton is that Peyton thrived on knowing the opponent's moves because he was more cerebral than the other QBs.  However, playoffs provide more time to instill new looks, or more urgency to change tendencies, which I think hurt him.  
I'm going to say prime is Peyton by a hair, but it's really close.  
I don't think the effect of playing in a dome can be overstated. Throw a football inside with the temp around 70 degrees... Do it again outside with 15 mph winds in 5 degree weather.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I don't think the effect of playing in a dome can be overstated. Throw a football inside with the temp around 70 degrees... Do it again outside with 15 mph winds in 5 degree weather.

“I think you have to take into account it's windy as hell out there, too, guys,” Wilson said.

• Haha 1