Props to Wilson

Ghost

Zach Wilson was decent enough for the standard set by Zach Wilson. Very average against a swiss cheese defense on a historically bad pace. I think people today were aggravated by the lack of production vs the amount of scoring opportunities we had. Wilson didn’t take advantage of any of those drives w/ his arm when the defense came up with 2 fumbles, a free drive off the safety & a million 3 and outs.

Yes, the run game today was nasty & that is definitely something they should/did lean on but Zach had multiple, MULTIPLE opportunities to show the ability to take over a drive & beat the defense with his arm like he did in the opening drive of the 3rd Q last week.

it’s a win, it’s great, it’s also a disappointment for anyone who wanted to see him take another step forward. This game was step to the side, a stepping stone right next to a stepping stone. Zero lateral movement in what we believe him to be as a QB.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson was decent enough for the standard set by Zach Wilson. Very average against a swiss cheese defense on a historically bad pace. I think people today were aggravated by the lack of production vs the amount of scoring opportunities we had. Wilson didn’t take advantage of any of those drives w/ his arm & come up with a TD when the defense came up with 2 fumbles, a free drive off the safety & a million 3 and outs.

Yes, the run game today was nasty & that is definitely something they should/did lean on but Zach had multiple, MULTIPLE opportunities to show the ability to take over a drive & beat the defense with his arm like he did in the opening drive of the 3rd Q last week.

it’s a win, it’s great, it’s also a disappointment for anyone who wanted to see him take another step forward. This game was step to the side, a stepping stone right next to a stepping stone. Zero lateral movement in what we believe him to be as a QB.

Yes, barely ekeing out a win against a historically bad Denver D after your defense, ST, and Breece Hall essentially cover up for the deficit at QB is not exactly cause for optimism that a deep playoff run is in the cards.

Very hard to consistently beat good teams relying on this “formula”.

Denver is a bottom-5 team at best.

Meanwhile, Purdy is an absolute stud despite mediocre “arm talent” because he can read the defense like a kindergarten book and pulls the trigger without hesitation with a keen sense of timing and anticipation.

For today at least though, a win is a win.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, fullblast said:

This was a clutch throw that got overshadowed by the pick

Still, you’d like to see more than 6 offensive points against a bottom of the barrel defense like this.

A Zach “check” at the line of scrimmage, according to Conklin.

But hey, Zach is garbage. Just ask the majority of Jets fans, after they win. a majority of which don’t even know what a check is. 73% completion rate. 400 yards of offense against a team that got 3 starters back and was one of the top defenses last season. Yeah they were terrible against Miami. But it appears everyone is terrible against Miami. 

Anyone judging a NFL team who was coming off a win, was playing at home AND favored to win, has a top 2 CB shadowing our best WR, is obviously just a hater troll. 

We won the ******* game, morons! After a first half of idiotic penalties where Zach faced 3 and long nearly every series. He had 2 bad plays today, the INT, which was thrown in the wrong spot, and the end of the half. Cost us 6 points. Otherwise, he had a decent game. Not great. Not bad. 

Saying he was bad is just being a dumb ass. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agree with the bold.  Regarding the non-bold stuff, I blame the play calling on the play before the half.

When you compare this ZW to the one from the Patriots and Jax games last year, he's miles better.  Last year he couldn't do anything.  He was an absolute MESS.  This year his bad game is 19/26 for 199 yards.  And he didn't play as well as those stats might indicate, he was still able to make some plays for us (including a big 3rd down pass late in the 4th quarter).  I'll admit that his game overall today was a disappointment to me (I was hoping ZW had turned the corner) but I still think he's showing signs that he can be contribute to victories rather than having to just be schemed around so they can hide him.  

image.png.bf32ecdea74708192ebdf7f0dd96c3af.png

Reminder that Zach is our QB2.

Not this year 

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jet “offense” starts every game in a coma led by a QB seemingly incapable of a successful opening drive.

It’s 3 and out guaranteed culminating in like 2 yards of total offense by halftime.

Guessing this strategy might not fly against the 5-0 Eagles.

It’s amazing us celebrating wasting a 3-4 year window with a good roster because we’re forced to start an incompetent qb 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree we can't count on Rodgers this year.  He'll be QB1 next year though (assuming he doesn't get hurt in his attempt to comeback this year).  I don't think GW will force his way out of town if AR8 is throwing it to him.

he will if we try to come back with Zach in 2025.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

• He did not play as good as he did last week but he played better than his usual self. I know that’s not saying much but with Breece Hall and our defense, we do not need to throw 3 touchdowns a game. 

• He made very important throws to Wilson and Conklin that kept the chains moving. 

• The INT was his fault. He should’ve been in a position where only Garrett Wilson can catch it. This is something he will learn from. I’m starting to slowly believe in this kid! 

Agreed.  Still things to clean up.  The last play before the half ruined a good drive by him that can’t happen.  The INT wasn’t a horrendous INT like many he had had in the past but it needed to be in a better place and Surtain made a great play.  But lately he has fixed a lot of the issues he had had in his career.  Hopefully it continues 

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  Still things to clean up.  The last play before the half ruined a good drive by him that can’t happen.  The INT wasn’t a horrendous INT like many he had had in the past but it needed to be in a better place and Surtain made a great play.  But lately he has fixed a lot of the issues he had had in his career.  Hopefully it continues 
There is undeniable incremental improvement... it's just sloooooooowwww ... and he has become gunshy.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

• He did not play as good as he did last week but he played better than his usual self. I know that’s not saying much but with Breece Hall and our defense, we do not need to throw 3 touchdowns a game. 

• He made very important throws to Wilson and Conklin that kept the chains moving. 

• The INT was his fault. He should’ve been in a position where only Garrett Wilson can catch it. This is something he will learn from. I’m starting to slowly believe in this kid! 

this is the problem with wilson and it always has been. he can make throws that have yout hinking he can be really good. then he makes incredibly boneheaded decisions or wildly inaccurate throws. his problem has always been consistency. i'll give him credit for one improvement he has made though.....his pocket awareness has been improved

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Munch on this one Jets fans:  Z. Wilson was better than R. Wilson this outing.  

Russell looks like he should be in assisted living.   He could be the NFL spokesman for why they need a concussion protocol.

Russell should not be allowed on the football field.  There were times yesterday he looked where am I lost.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Lazard is almost a jag who has special friendship with one QB.   he has had one year with 60 catches and like 35-40 his other years he is about a 500 yard Wr.

He is not a legit #2 at all for any team.

He also played on the same team as Adams and Scantling. 500 yards is fine when one guy racks up over 1500. Also Lazard had 8 TDs in 2021 where he had 500 yards. Last season GW had over 1100 yards and 4 TDs the entire season so don't  tell me ZW throwing the ball doesn't  matter. 

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson was decent enough for the standard set by Zach Wilson. Very average against a swiss cheese defense on a historically bad pace. I think people today were aggravated by the lack of production vs the amount of scoring opportunities we had. Wilson didn’t take advantage of any of those drives w/ his arm when the defense came up with 2 fumbles, a free drive off the safety & a million 3 and outs.

I’m real happy with the win. Concerned about the O line injuries, the D starting slow again and the red zone production on O. Your post seems to blame the red zone lack of production solely on Wilson. While he is part to blame, the last i checked he’s not blocking or running the ball. i think the play calls are the bigger problem. I’d be interested to see the # of run vs pass play calls in the red zone. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree we can't count on Rodgers this year.  He'll be QB1 next year though (assuming he doesn't get hurt in his attempt to comeback this year).  I don't think GW will force his way out of town if AR8 is throwing it to him.

GW is not forcing himself out of town regardless

At best..a baby step forward for ZW..but certainly not a step back.  Of course, his ceiling of play has been quite low, so not hard to show a bit of progress. 

I profess to being an easy grader..motivated by ‘hope’ ..many would claim irrational belief…that the season wasn’t lost moments after it began.

• Upvote 1

I am not going to throw flowers this week. The non-spiking of the ball costing them three points made me nuts. Ball security was a big issue. People want to kill him for the pick late and rightly so but with G. Wilson I feel any more that is catchable he should catch.

He was over 70% completion which was fine and he did make some nice 3rd down clutch throws.

Somehow, Someway he has to find the end zone of some those drives. 

How many times were we in the red zone and how many touchdowns did we score?

I've always been a Zach supporter, I do like the kid, and if I was happy with a .500 team, I'd be happy with them keeping him around.  But I'd like to see the Jets get a ring in the not so distant future.  Zach is a backup QB at best.  We need a proven NFL QB before the window closes.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with you. 

Though if ZW is not good, JD isn't going to keep him around in 2025 either.  

Honestly I dont know what the future holds for ZW. However at least there is some progress with the kid considering he was supposed to sit and learn this year. I do think he has formed a better connection with GW on and off the field too