The curious case of Duane Brown

27 minutes ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

If you are Saleh what do you do on the OL?

1) Move Becton back to RT and plug Brown back at LT

2) Keep Becton at Left Tackle and try Brown at RT

3) Leave Becton and Mitchell at RT and have Brown there to backup Becton if he gets hurt. 

3. I hardly believe that Brown will provide any valuable contribution with whatever is left of his career. At this point of his sports life, he should be the swing tackle to try to keep Becton and Mitchell fresh. Quite frankly, the same approach should be done with all the positions of the Oline....clearly we are not meant to a fully healthy staff of olinemen....so.....stop giving so much weight to the idea that the oline is the only unit that has to be the same personnel from start to end.....start rotating guys so everyone can make it to the end of the season. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Leave everybody where they are and tell Brown to be ready in the situation where Becton gets hurt again

It has to be this.  Becton has been playing great at LT and we can put together some sort of patchwork RT.  Let Brown stay in some sort of shape and be ready in case we need him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

JD’s biggest mistake on the OLine this offseason!!

If JD had properly evaluated Brown as someone whose skills were diminishing quickly rather than chalking up last year’s struggles to a hurt shoulder, the line might look a lot better.  (Or evaluated him as still not fully healthy or an ongoing injury risk.)

Meaning JD would likely have been more aggressive bringing in a starting quality Tackle.  AVT likely wouldn’t have moved over to fill the void that Brown left (after Becton shifted to LT), which ultimately might have caused the Achilles injury.

Our OLine could have been:

LT Becton

LG Tomlinson

C  Tippmann (McGovern)

RG AVT

RT Free agent

I’m generally a fairly big JD fan but he gambles a little too much.  The gamble on Brown cost the Jets plain & simple.  

2 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

3) Leave Becton and Mitchell at RT and have Brown there to backup Becton if he gets hurt. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

Becton isn't moving from left tackle. They are crazy if they do that.

Brown should play right tackle. I know he never did it but this line would be pretty good:

Becton - Laken - McGovern - Tippmann - Brown

16 minutes ago, MykePM said:

My vote: leave Becton at LT.  Let Brown try some reps at RT in practice.  If he looks better than Mitchell, try him at RT in a game.  If not, keep Mitchell as the starting RT and continue to groom Brown as the backup swing tackle.

I can't argue with this plan either.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was plan A for Douglas at LT going into this season, with a 40 year old QB.

This didn't seem like much of a problem to anyone before the season...just sayin. 

Jet fans thought Becton would go down again, and thought Tomlinson was washed.  Those were the OL complaints.  Brown was supposed to be the "safe" guy, regardless of his age.   Every time Brown was brought up:  "he's just a good LT.  Not great, but good.  Reliable".  

Honestly I don't have a problem with how this line was built.  Especially considering we still looked to be in decent shape even after the Brown and AVT injuries.  Not sure if we can survive another(Tippmann), but we'll see.  Luckily it has all happened pre-trade deadline.  

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

It's definitely 3.  Brown shouldnt be starting and no way in hell do you move Becton right now.  He's balling out and clearly the best LT on the team.  Being that I dont think anyone is 100% confident in his ability to stay healthy all year, I'd rather keep Brown fresh in the event he needs to step in for Becton.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

JD’s biggest mistake on the OLine this offseason!!

I’m generally a fairly big JD fan but he gambles a little too much.  The gamble on Brown cost the Jets plain & simple.  

The gamble on Rodgers hurts worse 

It's shocking to me that people still support this move. Is it because you all bought jerseys with the number 8 on it? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's shocking to me that people still support this move. Is it because you all bought jerseys with the number 8 on it? 

To this point the trade sucked imho. If Zach (big if ) can put up numbers and rodgers come back in shape then im okay with it. To soon to judge

• Upvote 1

Browns cash payout in 2023 is $10,000,000.  

Saleh said this last year:

It is very rare, very rare for someone like Duane Brown to go through a season like he has and to sacrifice what he has when he [doesn’t need] to sacrifice anything,” head coach Robert Saleh said. “There’s a reason why he’s had so many years [15] in the league, there’s a reason why he’s got many more years left in the league, and there’s a reason why he’s been a [five-time] Pro Bowler for so long and he’s made so much money.” 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

we support the move because we are fans and hope for the best.

you get paid to analyze football - different mindset and viewpoint.

some (not you) prefer to make predictions and hope they come true to prove to the internet world they are a better GM than current GM.

19 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

Idk. Part of me thinks the IR stint was done so Brown could get in shape. I don’t think he was in shape early in the year. 

Yes, either that or just a flat out benching disguised as an injury. Saleh hates to embarrass his GM or his vets.