OT: Legendary basketball coach Bob Knight dies at 83

Coached his players hard. Had his detractors but what I saw was a coach who tried to get the best out of his players. Many former players sang his praises how he affected their lives positively after their playing days. View him as a Hall of Fame coach and Hall of Fame person.

• Upvote 2

Out of the 4 major pro sports, one that changed the worst over the last 2 decades is the NBA. Knight wasn't shy about also saying when you got past the package, Dennis Rodman was a great hoops player; ; even without scoring, defense and rebounding mattered.. It's changed dramatically for the worse. Was  a hard-edged bloodsport, and that was a great thing. And Jordan was the very best ever. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=bobby+kight+coachung+jordan+video+spain&mid=A94D2DEFB5339FB12A5EA94D2DEFB5339FB12A5E&FORM=VIRE

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When the Blazers were debating who to take 1st overall in ‘84, they were thinking C Sam Bowie because they already had Drexler at shooting guard:

Bobby Knight, who'd coached MJ at the '84 Olympic trials, urged Blazers GM Stu Inman (an old pal) to take Jordan. Inman said, "But we need a center." Knight yelled back, "So play him at center!" 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Coached his players hard. Had his detractors but what I saw was a coach who tried to get the best out of his players. Many former players sang his praises how he affected their lives positively after their playing days. View him as a Hall of Fame coach and Hall of Fame person.

He was a douchenozzle

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I met Coach Knight at a coaching clinic with Coach K. Both were great clinicians as well as nice guys. Coach Knight certainly had some issues but his teams were always the most fundamentally sound teams on the court. RIP Coach.

What year was that?  I read that Knight and Coach K had a major falling out.

You're a basketball coach btw?

It was either 1987 or 1988, it was a two man clinic in Arlington Va. I am a retired high school basketball coach. I loved coaching, the kids were great and we had a lot of fun. I was also fortunate to have some pretty goods teams as well. I went to a number of clinics over the years and got to pick the brains of some great basketball minds.

• Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What year was that?  I read that Knight and Coach K had a major falling out.

You're a basketball coach btw?

Crazy to think that Coach K (who played for Knight at Army, '66-69) was an assistant for Knight for the '74-75 season at Indiana.  Could you imagine being coached by BOTH of those guys at the same time?

Unsurprisingly, the Knight/K '74-75 Hoosiers went 31-1 (18-0 in the Big 10) and went to the final 4, where they lost to Kentucky, 92-90.  Knight called it the "greatest team he ever coached", even better than the '75-76 team that went undefeated.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

His famous quote…. I want them to bury me face down, so my critics can kiss my ass.

Legend.  

or the time they lost, and he walked into the locker room, dropped his pants, sprayed feces on the locker room floor and walked aways saying "thats what you guys played like today"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

It was either 1987 or 1988, it was a two man clinic in Arlington Va. I am a retired high school basketball coach. I loved coaching, the kids were great and we had a lot of fun. I was also fortunate to have some pretty goods teams as well. I went to a number of clinics over the years and got to pick the brains of some great basketball minds.

Have you ever seen this?

• Post of the Week 1