Do we draft a QB in the first round?

Tezza

Do we draft a QB in the first round?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do we draft a QB in the first round?

• Yes (sit behind a future HOF'r and have insurance if Rodgers gets injured again)
    • No (we need OL)
    • No (We need another position - not OL/QB)

I'm on record wanting Drake Maye... I love me some OL also. It depends on where we are drafting and if we are in the top 3 and ahead of the PATS. That would cement my choice of Maye. If we're not in the top 3, then the best LT, or WR would be my choice.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

There is a thought.  Trade down (if possible) for a 2025 1st plus what ever else we can get for 2024, and earmark 2025 for our next QB.  Assuming we are picking in the top 5 that might turn out to be quite a haul.  This way we avoid the AR8 angst and still get some needed 2025 ammo.     

I think more picks are better.  As for the qb I think I’d like them to pick up a second day qb and then a vet for back up with some possibility that the starting job is available after Rodgers.  I still think Zach may be in play although he is certainly not a fan favorite.  The main thing is for the jets to straighten out the oline.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Marvin Harrison Jr is talking like he might go back to OSU for his senior season. Dumb move on his part but that does take one of the top 3 picks off the board. 

Caleb Williams is a head case, wants ownership of his next team, and has a list of teams he will and won’t play for. And he probably isn’t the best QB in the draft anyways. It’s probably a good thing we don’t have to draft him. 

Either Maye or Daniels, are the guys we need to draft, if they are available. There is no way we can let these guys pass. They will be stars. 

I get that we need an OT and it’s likely that JD will need to save his job by drafting one. I just think it would be a mistake.  

Has Caleb said the Jets are on his list of teams he won't play for?  Or is that secret?  Even if we're on that list, if we're in position to draft him, we can always trade him.  

Btw assuming the diva type statements (wants ownership, has list of teams he won’t play for) are true, just hearing that type of stuff makes me not want Caleb Williams anymore.  

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I'm on record wanting Drake Maye... I love me some OL also. It depends on where we are drafting and if we are in the top 3 and ahead of the PATS. That would cement my choice of Maye. If we're not in the top 3, then the best LT, or WR would be my choice.

I would make the following trade offer to the Steelers:

IV for Broderick Jones

Depends how FA goes I'm guessing. Let's say we keep Becton around for cheap and can add either a starting good OT or even a starting good OG and move AVT to OT. The odds of getting a QB top 10 increase. But you could still argue that we might go MHJ or Bowers which I wouldn't hate.

Hard to say right now.  As of now with like the 6th pick, I think if a guy like Alt is on the board, it makes more sense to just take him instead of taking a QB.  However things can change.  Daniels could continue to see his stock elevate to the point where picking him 6th wouldn't seem like a reach.  OR we could continue to freefall and find ourselves with a top-2 pick, which is even more possible today after New England won last night.  

If you have a chance at Caleb or Maye, IMO you have to take it.  Only way I pass on one of them is if someone comes calling with an absurd offer AND I could still get Alt if I moved down.  But yes, no matter what, QB should be a legit consideration regardless of where we're picking.  Just not Michael Penix though...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

If we somehow end up with the 2nd pick I would be shocked if the team didn't consider Maye or Caleb.

I'm a big Maye fan and if he's on the board when we pick then he's got to be the pick regardless of what Rodgers wants. However, I feel like all offseason we will see/hear stories from Rodgers about his desire to play another 3-4 years to eliminate any thoughts of QB grandeur that this organization may have.

In the event that we are picking 2nd we will cave to Rodgers and trade out, guaranteed. Rodgers won't be playing another 3-4 years, I would venture to guess another 2 years as this team needs some serious overhauling on offense - Rodgers isn't ignorant to that and will see 2024 as a shot to win it, but hopefully two off-seasons of offensive resources being poured into the OL and receiving corps will have them primed in 2025 to dominate.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Not only do I not see the Jets drafting a QB , if we some how get a pick high enough to draft a QB I think JD trades it for a plethora of picks to make up for the 2nd rounder we traded to GB for Rodgers.

Or the Jets trade for a packer Ot because that who Rodgers wants.     I be surprised if the Jets had that first pick because let’s face it offense lineman usually take time to develop in the NFL.   They need a guy that they know is ready day one , as you only have so much time left with a Rodgers. ( you don”t have time to wait).    Jets are desperate to win at all cost.   

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Depends how FA goes I'm guessing. Let's say we keep Becton around for cheap and can add either a starting good OT or even a starting good OG and move AVT to OT. The odds of getting a QB top 10 increase. But you could still argue that we might go MHJ or Bowers which I wouldn't hate.

Sign a couple good FA’s.  Bring back Becton on a tag.  We still have tippman and AVT

YES its an absolute NO BRAINER

We will not be picking 7th every year and the good qbs usually are gone by 10.

We can get OL in later rounds and next years draft. 

Let the kid sit for a year behind old man rodgers

YOU would have to be CRAZY to hang your hat on old man Rodgers for the next 2 years and take an OL guy instead to help him.

so in summary...

QB=setting up the future

OL=putting all your eggs, as well as the future on the old guy. How did that work out for ya this year?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Hard to say right now.  As of now with like the 6th pick, I think if a guy like Alt is on the board, it makes more sense to just take him instead of taking a QB.  However things can change.  Daniels could continue to see his stock elevate to the point where picking him 6th wouldn't seem like a reach.  OR we could continue to freefall and find ourselves with a top-2 pick, which is even more possible today after New England won last night.  

If you have a chance at Caleb or Maye, IMO you have to take it.  Only way I pass on one of them is if someone comes calling with an absurd offer AND I could still get Alt if I moved down.  But yes, no matter what, QB should be a legit consideration regardless of where we're picking.  Just not Michael Penix though...

I can Penix being a solid backup, but that's about it....if he can even stay healthy which is going to be extremely unlikely once these pro defenders are getting after him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

What kind of NIL is keeping Harrison at Ohio State?!? Isn’t a signing bonus for pick 3 like 25 mill

What was that joke Bart Scott made to Sanchez on Hard Knocks?

Something like, "Sanchez, you're just mad because when you came to the pros you took a pay cut" That was hilarious.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we somehow end up with the 2nd pick I would be shocked if the team didn't consider Maye or Caleb.

I'm a big Maye fan and if he's on the board when we pick then he's got to be the pick regardless of what Rodgers wants. However, I feel like all offseason we will see/hear stories from Rodgers about his desire to play another 3-4 years to eliminate any thoughts of QB grandeur that this organization may have.

In the event that we are picking 2nd we will cave to Rodgers and trade out, guaranteed. Rodgers won't be playing another 3-4 years, I would venture to guess another 2 years as this team needs some serious overhauling on offense - Rodgers isn't ignorant to that and will see 2024 as a shot to win it, but hopefully two off-seasons of offensive resources being poured into the OL and receiving corps will have them primed in 2025 to dominate.

I can see a trade down as well to recoup pics... I'm not sure what QB's are going to be in the 2025 draft, so for me, it's why pass on someone I think could be our first QB in a long time that could work in NY. Maye has all the tools to be a good one. He's the most accurate passer in the crowd, has a great pocket feel, and can run when needed, He's not the second coming of Turbisky. He's much better.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Has Caleb said the Jets are on his list of teams he won't play for?  Or is that secret?  Even if we're on that list, if we're in position to draft him, we can always trade him.  

Btw assuming the diva type statements (wants ownership, has list of teams he won’t play for) are true, just hearing that type of stuff makes me not want Caleb Williams anymore.  

I’d blackball him if the Jets weren’t on his list. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Dude if we get the second pick and these dudes don’t take a QB because a 40 year old QB with one leg is promising  2 - 3 years….. IDK WHAT I WILL DO SERIOUSLY.

I WILL ABSOLUTELY LOSE IT

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I can see a trade down as well to recoup pics... I'm not sure what QB's are going to be in the 2025 draft, so for me, it's why pass on someone I think could be our first QB in a long time that could work in NY. Maye has all the tools to be a good one. He's the most accurate passer in the crowd, has a great pocket feel, and can run when needed, He's not the second coming of Turbisky. He's much better.

Way too early to have a definitive idea of how the 2025 QB class will look. It has become the norm to see preseason 3rd/4th round prospects end up having a great year and become 1st rounds guys. But the early suggestions are that it will be a weak class which is why Ewers is most likely stay in college and will possibly be the top QB in that draft.

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Dude if we get the second pick and these dudes don’t take a QB because a 40 year old QB with one leg is promising  2 - 3 years….. IDK WHAT I WILL DO SERIOUSLY.

I WILL ABSOLUTELY LOSE IT

Trust me I agree! I'd take Maye or Caleb in a second. But this team....this owner who is smitten and starstruck with big name players....will cave to Rogers

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Way too early to have a definitive idea of how the 2025 QB class will look. It has become the norm to see preseason 3rd/4th round prospects end up having a great year and become 1st rounds guys. But the early suggestions are that it will be a weak class which is why Ewers is most likely stay in college and will possibly be the top QB in that draft.

It seems safe to say that Ewers and Carson Beck will both start off as top 10 guys and then we will see how the rest of the class shapes out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

It seems safe to say that Ewers and Carson Beck will both start off as top 10 guys and then we will see how the rest of the class shapes out.

Ewers gives off Zach Wilson vibes and is too inconsistent. 2025 class not looking good at all imo 

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

YES its an absolute NO BRAINER

We will not be picking 7th every year and the good qbs usually are gone by 10.

We can get OL in later rounds and next years draft. 

Let the kid sit for a year behind old man rodgers

YOU would have to be CRAZY to hang your hat on old man Rodgers for the next 2 years and take an OL guy instead to help him.

so in summary...

QB=setting up the future

OL=putting all your eggs, as well as the future on the old guy. How did that work out for ya this year?

Picking top 7 does not guarantee you get a good QB and being out of the top 7 doesn't mean you can't find one.

2017 Mahomes went 10, Watson went 12.  Missed out on Mitchell Trubisky at 2 

2018 Allen went 7 and Jackson 32.  Missed out on Mayfield and Darnold.

2020 Hurts went 53.  Love remains to be seen, but went 26.

2022 Where did Purdy go?  260?

In the entire NFL, how many teams are happily starting guys they got in the top 7?  Miami, Buffalo, Cincy, Jacksonville, Chargers and Houston.  Anybody else?  Maybe Indy is happy with Richardson.  Are the Cards happy with Murray?  Could be, the Giants gave Jones a big contract and I would not be happy with that at 6.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Another thing to consider if we end up with the 2nd overall pick

it’s not just about the future when drafting a QB when it comes to this team and organization.

It’s also the extreme pressure of potentially passing on the next great QB.

If Maye or anyone of those QBs you pass on become a star, it will be a career killer for JD. 

A 40 year old QB coming off a serious injury and you bank on him to win you a Super Bowl in a year or 2….

This choice is going to look extremely shortsighted and reckless.

Rodgers winning a SB is the only thing that could save them and like I said the odds are weighed heavily against that and the media will always talk about how obvious this decision was and will pull out the mandatory:

LOLLLLL JETS 

15 hours ago, derp said:

The board will lament the Jets passing on Jayden Daniels in a few years.

The guy i’d want as well. 4 full seasons of starts and an elite breakout year in the SEC. Elite athleticism as a runner. 

won’t happen though I think. Them keeping the FO staff almost cinches that they try to either trade the pick for vet upgrades or take OT or WR. 

What’s cool is they NEED a qb but will likely happen is that even if they select one, there is a high chance the staff is gone the following year and you have a qb the new staff may not have picked themselves. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Picking top 7 does not guarantee you get a good QB and being out of the top 7 doesn't mean you can't find one.

2017 Mahomes went 10, Watson went 12.  Missed out on Mitchell Trubisky at 2 

2018 Allen went 7 and Jackson 32.  Missed out on Mayfield and Darnold.

2020 Hurts went 53.  Love remains to be seen, but went 26.

2022 Where did Purdy go?  260?

In the entire NFL, how many teams are happily starting guys they got in the top 7?  Miami, Buffalo, Cincy, Jacksonville, Chargers and Houston.  Anybody else?  Maybe Indy is happy with Richardson.  Are the Cards happy with Murray?  Could be, the Giants gave Jones a big contract and I would not be happy with that at 6.

nothing is a guarantee but the chances of landing a fqb outside of single digit picks becomes exponentially more unlikely

I believe we did a big thread years ago about where qbs were drafted and it supported this theory

If you dont take a qb you will stink and regret what you passed on but this is the jets and that is exactly whats going to happen