What players should not be on this team next year?

Beerfish

I'm sure we will have a few unanimous nods and a few more big disagreements on this topic.  Who should not be on the team and who will not be will look far different knowing our front office and coaching staff.

QB:  Obviously Zach Wilson has to be the first to go, sounds like they have already told him he is being dealt.  No way can he be back on the roster next year, not that he is much worse than other 3rd string schlock in this league but the jets could not face having to start him when Rodgers gets hurt.  

Siemian should also be gone, he is no good, Rodgers, a real #2 QB and a mid to late round developmental pick.

Oline:  Becton should not be back, not that there will be a huge line up of teams after him but I do not see us paying him on a multi year deal and he won't play on a prove it deal.  However you never know with Douglas, he hates to admit he was wrong it seems.  Some people will point to him being mostly healthy this year, say we have no tackles and want to stick him at RT or some such nonsense but the player is not good.

Thomlinson should also be gone but will be retained for all the wrong reasons.   Bad cap penalty if we dump him, actually one of the few olineman that can stay healthy, good 'team; guy 'leader' which this team values over actually being good at football.  Totally terrible player but the other reasons will keep him on the team.

TE: Uzomaoh, if he i back there is something seriously wrong with this teams brain.

WR: Allen Lazard should be gone but he for sure will be back probably for multiple years.   Runs poor routes, cant get open, suspect hands, actually gets deactivated which you have to be doing very badly for this head coach to do that.  Terrible player that will sadly prevent us from going after an upgrade.   Bad cap penalty, Douglas won't admit he blew it and Rodgers buddy being the reasons he will be back.   am sure we will hear a chorus of jets fans yelling 'But just wait till Aaron is back then he will be good!'  No he won't he was not even good his last year in Green Bay, he just got lots of targets.

Randell Cobb, sure make him an assistant coach or something if he has to be here, he can;t be seeing the field as a player.

Dline: The Jets waited a year too long re Huff, should have got him cheaper last year. Now he is going to want bank and it will be a mistake to pay him even though he is actually a good player.  We have two players occupying essentially the same spot, keep it as is and you do not get the best out of either.  I m pretty sure he will be resigned by the Jets so no fear jets fans who love the player but if it is at the cost of any offensive upgrade it is mistake.

LB:  This will stay as is, Jets love their LBs.  If it was me I'd easily move on from Mosley, if we can use his money for offense do it.  Linebackers that make a bunch of tackles behind dlines that keep them clean are the easiest thing to find in football.

Secondary:  Whitehead may leave via FA.  I am mostly good with our secondary we should try to keep it together, even some of our lower end backups still have some value.  I could see Bryce Hall moving on but Ashtyn Davis has shown a lot of value this year.

• Upvote 4

I think Tomlinson should be the first out the door.  After that Lawson, uzomah, cook, Cobb.  Becton is still a maybe but I wouldn’t go overboard to keep him.  Zach?  They’re on the hook for his salary so if they can trade him, okay.  But he also played well enough to keep unless he truly did refuse to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I think Tomlinson should be the first out the door.  After that Lawson, uzomah, cook, Cobb.  Becton is still a maybe but I wouldn’t go overboard to keep him.  Zach?  They’re on the hook for his salary so if they can trade him, okay.  But he also played well enough to keep unless he truly did refuse to play.

Yeah I totally missed cook, he is another that is done and should be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I love sitting behind my computer and hate cutting players as much as the next guy, but getting rid of talent is only useful when you bring in better talent and can fit them under the cap.

I’m in no rush to dump guys only to get to free agency and have to massively overpay equal/less talented guys.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Color me optimistic but perhaps if we upgrade our WR2 position, putting Lazard in a natural WR3 / red zone option…he will be more productive as it was initially intended

It is a good point. He will be overpaid for it but he could really be the 4th option.  Not sure if they trust Gipson enough to be the slot guy without competition.

Would be nice if they:

1. Got a true #1 \ #2 type guy to compliment Garrett.

2. Got a slot guy to be the 3rd option.

3. Lazard becomes the 4th wide receiver 

4. Gipson is # 5.

Irv Charles is going to be on the team because of special teams play, he is a beast. But they definitely need to get more depth.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Color me optimistic but perhaps if we upgrade our WR2 position, putting Lazard in a natural WR3 / red zone option…he will be more productive as it was initially intended

You do not pay a #3 WR 11 million a year for 4 years.  Might want to tell Joe Douglas this.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

I personally will not watch another game until ZW is off the team. Haven’t watched the last 4 games. Won’t watch the remaining games either. If he is back next year in any shape or form I won’t watch next season either ….

I have 0 faith in Aaron rodgers, robby saleh and especially Joey D. 

This team needs to clean house. My optimism is at a 0 for this team. 

jets will not sign Higgins or Pittman. Way too expensive for Joe Douglas’s blood.@JoeWillieNamath

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

Honestly almost the entire offense needs to go. We are in a terrible position because we are not a one year rebuild from contention the best thing we could do is trade our assets away and rebuild from ground up however with Rodgers we can't really do that without people burning down the facility. My prediction is we will get rid of half the offensive line be sold on how much we have improved and the jets will suck again next year because Aaron is going to get smashed into an early retirement.

your not getting rid of Laken. there is no way we can replace 3 guys on the OL. just too many especially if you want another WR. 

we most likely get a WR 2 or 3 around 10 mil plus a year. forget the Adams or Higgens talk. you cant afford them.

why do you think GB got rid of Adams and KC got rid of Hill.? its not cause they didnt want them, its because they couldnt afford them with the QBs making so much. and Rodgers will have a 50 mil cap hit in 2025. same with Higgens and Chase someday too with Burrow making all that money or soon to be.

you get rid of Becton, Zach, all of Rodgers friends except for Lazzard. i still want to see him with Rodgers throwing at him. Uzamah gone.....Cook gone....

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm sure we will have a few unanimous nods and a few more big disagreements on this topic.  Who should not be on the team and who will not be will look far different knowing our front office and coaching staff.

QB:  Obviously Zach Wilson has to be the first to go, sounds like they have already told him he is being dealt.  No way can he be back on the roster next year, not that he is much worse than other 3rd string schlock in this league but the jets could not face having to start him when Rodgers gets hurt.  

Siemian should also be gone, he is no good, Rodgers, a real #2 QB and a mid to late round developmental pick.

Oline:  Becton should not be back, not that there will be a huge line up of teams after him but I do not see us paying him on a multi year deal and he won't play on a prove it deal.  However you never know with Douglas, he hates to admit he was wrong it seems.  Some people will point to him being mostly healthy this year, say we have no tackles and want to stick him at RT or some such nonsense but the player is not good.

Thomlinson should also be gone but will be retained for all the wrong reasons.   Bad cap penalty if we dump him, actually one of the few olineman that can stay healthy, good 'team; guy 'leader' which this team values over actually being good at football.  Totally terrible player but the other reasons will keep him on the team.

TE: Uzomaoh, if he i back there is something seriously wrong with this teams brain.

WR: Allen Lazard should be gone but he for sure will be back probably for multiple years.   Runs poor routes, cant get open, suspect hands, actually gets deactivated which you have to be doing very badly for this head coach to do that.  Terrible player that will sadly prevent us from going after an upgrade.   Bad cap penalty, Douglas won't admit he blew it and Rodgers buddy being the reasons he will be back.   am sure we will hear a chorus of jets fans yelling 'But just wait till Aaron is back then he will be good!'  No he won't he was not even good his last year in Green Bay, he just got lots of targets.

Randell Cobb, sure make him an assistant coach or something if he has to be here, he can;t be seeing the field as a player.

Dline: The Jets waited a year too long re Huff, should have got him cheaper last year. Now he is going to want bank and it will be a mistake to pay him even though he is actually a good player.  We have two players occupying essentially the same spot, keep it as is and you do not get the best out of either.  I m pretty sure he will be resigned by the Jets so no fear jets fans who love the player but if it is at the cost of any offensive upgrade it is mistake.

LB:  This will stay as is, Jets love their LBs.  If it was me I'd easily move on from Mosley, if we can use his money for offense do it.  Linebackers that make a bunch of tackles behind dlines that keep them clean are the easiest thing to find in football.

Secondary:  Whitehead may leave via FA.  I am mostly good with our secondary we should try to keep it together, even some of our lower end backups still have some value.  I could see Bryce Hall moving on but Ashtyn Davis has shown a lot of value this year.

Good list... I would reach out to Whitehead, and Hall. Davis stays I believe also, and I'm guessing you're right about Huff, however I'm guessing their new Huff is waiting in the wings. At least I think that's what they believe. Everybody above the D line is a NO BRAINER for most. Let's see how JD and the Stairmaster see it...

1 hour ago, doitny said:

your not getting rid of Laken. there is no way we can replace 3 guys on the OL. just too many especially if you want another WR. 

we most likely get a WR 2 or 3 around 10 mil plus a year. forget the Adams or Higgens talk. you cant afford them.

why do you think GB got rid of Adams and KC got rid of Hill.? its not cause they didnt want them, its because they couldnt afford them with the QBs making so much. and Rodgers will have a 50 mil cap hit in 2025. same with Higgens and Chase someday too with Burrow making all that money or soon to be.

you get rid of Becton, Zach, all of Rodgers friends except for Lazzard. i still want to see him with Rodgers throwing at him. Uzamah gone.....Cook gone....

Laken is gone 100%

10 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

JD has to get a #1 or #2. Adams would be a #1 or Evans for example.  JD tried to get Samuel and Adams. Perhaps he will revisit that option but he has to get another WR to compliment GW.  Laken should be cut and if they can get Becton on a cheap 1 year deal, do it for depth. Maybe no one else bites. But he shouldn't be the starter.  The OL is truly the hardest unit to assemble. They need 3 new starters at T and G.   Or they could get a C and move Tippman to guard. Regardless it need to be revamped and upgraded badly.  Cut all the QB's. Zach, Semien, Rypien. Get a MInshew as backup. Draft Sam Hartman late round 4/5.  Huff looks like he's a goner or they would have gave him a deal last year and not drafted McDuck. They also need a scat type WR like Flowers who is a burner. Gipson is totally average.  The WR group is just so average. It's mind boggling GW has any success and isn't triple teamed every play.  TE Uzamho has to go. Another dud FA signing by JD. We can get by with Conk and Ruckert next year.  Seems everyone knows what needs to be done - does JD? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

I agree, I don't think the mock offseasons where the Jets get 2 big OL free agents, draft an OT in the first and sign Evans are realistic given the cap situation and the Jets picking 9th. I could see something like Jonah Williams, Calvin Ridley and a possible trade up in the 1st. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is a good point. He will be overpaid for it but he could really be the 4th option.  Not sure if they trust Gipson enough to be the slot guy without competition.

Would be nice if they:

1. Got a true #1 \ #2 type guy to compliment Garrett.

2. Got a slot guy to be the 3rd option.

3. Lazard becomes the 4th wide receiver 

4. Gipson is # 5.

Irv Charles is going to be on the team because of special teams play, he is a beast. But they definitely need to get more depth.

JD really wants to get Adams for Rodgers.  Raiders are bogged down by Adams contract and O'Booble sucks.  They need a QB. Period.  Makes no sense to retain Adams.  They are in a very similar phase as we are. Some good players but no competent QB.  You dont pay a guy like Adams when you don't have a QB to throw him the ball and make him useful.  Carr didnt work out, which is why he went there in teh first place and Garrapolo is a walking EMS patient. I dont care how 'good' or 'impressive the Raiders have played under Pierce. This is a QB driven league.  

So go get (1) Adams on a fair deal or sign (1A) Evans on a 2 year deal.  Then (3) get a slot WR in the draft hopefully. This is a major need.  Monday night Flowers drove Niners nuts.  That kid is like a jet.  That's what we need.  Not to thrilled with Gipson. Very average skill set as a WR.  And after his game winning punt return has done squat as a returner.  Throw (4) Brownlee and (5) Lazard in 4/5 slots. There's only so much money JD has to dish out and hopefully Rodgers makes these guys better.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree, I don't think the mock offseasons where the Jets get 2 big OL free agents, draft an OT in the first and sign Evans are realistic given the cap situation and the Jets picking 9th. I could see something like Jonah Williams, Calvin Ridley and a possible trade up in the 1st. 

I like that. Ridley would be HUGE. But they need 2 tackles, one in draft one FA.  Just cant see JD going onto next year with Warren and Becton at RT.  JD is going to have to find some money by making cuts like Mosley, Lawson, Uzumah etc etc to free up some cash for the OL and WR's.

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

JD has to get a #1 or #2. Adams would be a #1 or Evans for example.  JD tried to get Samuel and Adams. Perhaps he will revisit that option but he has to get another WR to compliment GW.  Laken should be cut and if they can get Becton on a cheap 1 year deal, do it for depth. Maybe no one else bites. But he shouldn't be the starter.  The OL is truly the hardest unit to assemble. They need 3 new starters at T and G.   Or they could get a C and move Tippman to guard. Regardless it need to be revamped and upgraded badly.  Cut all the QB's. Zach, Semien, Rypien. Get a MInshew as backup. Draft Sam Hartman late round 4/5.  Huff looks like he's a goner or they would have gave him a deal last year and not drafted McDuck. They also need a scat type WR like Flowers who is a burner. Gipson is totally average.  The WR group is just so average. It's mind boggling GW has any success and isn't triple teamed every play.  TE Uzamho has to go. Another dud FA signing by JD. We can get by with Conk and Ruckert next year.  Seems everyone knows what needs to be done - does JD? 

I totally agree with most of this except the Gipson part. As a rookie and undrafted free agent I think he's been much better than average considering the fact that he's learning to playing the position at this level while returning kicks and punts all season. I might be wrong, but I think that as he learns to play the position, and the Jets get a real number 2 receiver , he'll be a good slot, gadget guy for the offense. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Big Snell said:

I totally agree with most of this except the Gipson part. As a rookie and undrafted free agent I think he's been much better than average considering the fact that he's learning to playing the position at this level while returning kicks and punts all season. I might be wrong, but I think that as he learns to play the position, and the Jets get a real number 2 receiver , he'll be a good slot, gadget guy for the offense. 

There's a few guys in the draft that are lights out way better in that role.  This is the guy I want. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think we end up signing 2-3 OL with bargain type deals in free agency or even trade, spend big on 1 wideout and look to draft to fill out the depth for WR and 1 starter spot on the OL.

• Upvote 1