My long history of being a Jets fan

Alka

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I was born in 1959, in Brooklyn, NY.   We moved to NJ in 1961, and through my dad's company, we had season Jets tickets every single year.  Sitting on the 40 yard line, 12 rows up from the field, I went to games starting when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I loved the Jets, and watched every single play of every single game.  I remember how upset I was when the Jets were up by 10 points watching the Heidi game against the Raiders, and the TV switched to Heidi, running up some ******* mountain.  I was so angry, and the Jets lost.  I should have realized right then and there, that this team was forever cursed.

I attended the AFC Championship game against the Raiders in 1969, watching a seriously hard struggle of a victory over the Raiders to get to the Superbowl.  Joe Namath was the man, and I loved how he stood tough in the pocket, leading the Jets to the Superbowl.  I watched in complete joy the Jets beating the Colts, and felt at that time, that I chose the right team to root for.  I was forever a Jets fan, no matter what.

Through the years and decades, I watched the team struggle year after year, and got hope from time to time with Joe Klecko and the NY Sack Exchange, and getting to the AFC Championship game, only to lose in a monsoon to the hated Dolphins.  I watched the best player on the Jets some years earlier, John Riggins leaving the Jets and going to the Redskins, watching him lead that team to the Superbowl.

We got to the AFC Championship 3 more times, with high hopes and dishearening losses.

After that, it has been mostly all downhill.  High hopes have constantly been dashed by injuries, bad draft choices, horrible free agency pickups, horrible coaching, and a horrible ownership.

Now, after around 55 years a avid Jets fan, I feel emptiness, year after year, with constant losing, and many times not even having the ability to compete in games. 

But, the one thing that I appreciate, is the ability to be on this website, and commiserate with people who love the Jets as much as I do.  It is great therapy for me, and I believe that most Jets fans are intelligent and successful people, which make me feel that I am in the right place. 

I honestly believe that I will never see the Jets again go to the Superbowl, and I am trying to make peace with that.  I will continue to root for our Jets, but my yearly positive feelings are now being replaced by a realism, and that is that as long as Woody is the owner, the Jets will forever never be good enough to get to the promised land.  If you've read this entire thread, I thank you for hearing me out.

Love this. I am about 1. 1/2 years older than you and I could have written this . You have basically said what I have been feeling for many years. Thank you.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Love this. I am about 1. 1/2 years older than you and I could have written this . You have basically said what I have been feeling for many years. Thank you.

Hey, thank you for reading my thread.  It's nice knowing that I'm not alone, and you and I have been through it together, even though we have never met!

51 minutes ago, Alka said:

I was born in 1959, in Brooklyn, NY.   We moved to NJ in 1961, and through my dad's company, we had season Jets tickets every single year.  Sitting on the 40 yard line, 12 rows up from the field, I went to games starting when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I loved the Jets, and watched every single play of every single game.  I remember how upset I was when the Jets were up by 10 points watching the Heidi game against the Raiders, and the TV switched to Heidi, running up some ******* mountain.  I was so angry, and the Jets lost.  I should have realized right then and there, that this team was forever cursed.

I attended the AFC Championship game against the Raiders in 1969, watching a seriously hard struggle of a victory over the Raiders to get to the Superbowl.  Joe Namath was the man, and I loved how he stood tough in the pocket, leading the Jets to the Superbowl.  I watched in complete joy the Jets beating the Colts, and felt at that time, that I chose the right team to root for.  I was forever a Jets fan, no matter what.

Through the years and decades, I watched the team struggle year after year, and got hope from time to time with Joe Klecko and the NY Sack Exchange, and getting to the AFC Championship game, only to lose in a monsoon to the hated Dolphins.  I watched the best player on the Jets some years earlier, John Riggins leaving the Jets and going to the Redskins, watching him lead that team to the Superbowl.

We got to the AFC Championship 3 more times, with high hopes and dishearening losses.

After that, it has been mostly all downhill.  High hopes have constantly been dashed by injuries, bad draft choices, horrible free agency pickups, horrible coaching, and a horrible ownership.

Now, after around 55 years a avid Jets fan, I feel emptiness, year after year, with constant losing, and many times not even having the ability to compete in games. 

But, the one thing that I appreciate, is the ability to be on this website, and commiserate with people who love the Jets as much as I do.  It is great therapy for me, and I believe that most Jets fans are intelligent and successful people, which make me feel that I am in the right place. 

I honestly believe that I will never see the Jets again go to the Superbowl, and I am trying to make peace with that.  I will continue to root for our Jets, but my yearly positive feelings are now being replaced by a realism, and that is that as long as Woody is the owner, the Jets will forever never be good enough to get to the promised land.  If you've read this entire thread, I thank you for hearing me out.

Im similar except was so poor as a kid, didn’t attend my 1st NFL game until I was in college.  Watched the Jets on a B and W antenna TV asking my dad were we the black team or the white team.   REALLY got involved around 1980 with the sack exchange and have been die hard since.    terrible that a team we covet is owned by a moron.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I was born the same year. I’ve had season tickets since 1978. Hopefully we will once again enjoy the Jets in the Super Bowl during our lifetime. Hang in there!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Right there with you. Born 1960

remeber parts of the super bowl but short if another Super Bowl, I think heidi will always be most memorable for me because of my dad flipping out

This reads almost like a Jet fan self-eulogy, how it starts with “I was born...”

Thanks for sharing.

I hear you, brother.

It’s been a tough road, but at least you got to enjoy the one (trophy).

My earliest memories were from that ‘82 mud bowl season and of course, the game, with AJ Duhe suddenly becoming a household name.

The next big kick in the balls was the blown lead with Gastineau and company in Cleveland in the ‘86 playoffs.

I should have known by then it was hopeless.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Right there with you. Born 1960

remeber parts of the super bowl but short if another Super Bowl, I think heidi will always be most memorable for me because of my dad flipping out

What I remember about the Heidi game was the Jets had a 3 point lead and the Raiders were moving down the field. My brother and I were watching the game and all of a sudden it switches to the movie Heidi. We ran to the radio my family had and turned it on. The radio was old even by 1968 standards. When you turned it on there  was no sound until the tubes warmed up!! By time we got the game on the radio the Jets were losing by 11. It was right after they fumbled the kick and the Raiders scored their second TD in something like 11 seconds. Shocking to say the least.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What I remember about the Heidi game was the Jets had a 3 point lead and the Raiders were moving down the field. My brother and I were watching the game and all of a sudden it switches to the movie Heidi. We ran to the radio my family had and turned it on. The radio was old even by 1968 standards. When you turned it on there  was no sound until the tubes warmed up!! By time we got the game on the radio the Jets were losing by 11. It was right after they fumbled the kick and the Raiders scored their second TD in something like 11 seconds. Shocking to say the least.

My dad was so pissed I don’t think he even thought about a radio

you heard the stories about nbc and the switchboard. Well we were part of that 

my dad was screaming for my mom to get the yellow pages and call nbc

she found the number and of course it was busy

he was out of his mind - and it will be with me till the day I am gone

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

My dad was so pissed I don’t think he even thought about a radio

you heard the stories about nbc and the switchboard. Well we were part of that 

my dad was screaming for my mom to get the yellow pages and call nbc

she found the number and of course it was busy

he was out of his mind - and it will be with me till the day I am gone

The story I saw was the President on NBC was trying call to tell them to switch back to the game but he couldn’t get through because the switchboard was busy from all the football fans calling up to complain!! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The story I saw was the President on NBC was trying call to tell them to switch back to the game but he couldn’t get through because the switchboard was busy from all the football fans calling up to complain!! 

It's been a very long time, but if I recall correctly, didn't NBC flash a ticker tape over the screen during Heidi that the Raiders came back and won the game?  That was the ultimate kick to my young developing groin...

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Thanks for sharing. 

You’re older than me, so I started “listening to Jets home games” from 1975-1977 with Marty glickman and Dave Herman because the home games were blacked out on tv. Meanwhile the awful giants were on tv when playing at home.

In the summer of 1978 the Jets were actively advertising season tickets on wplj for the staggering cost of $8.00 a ticket. So me and my older brother took the plunge. Our seats were mezzanine behind home plate at shea where the players would run out of during introductions.

I remember watching that little midget garo yapremian kicking off for the dolphins on opening day 1978. Wesley walker had 3 tds and the jets stomped them. It was a great xp and I was hooked.

Fast forward, we had those tickets until 2007.

Anyways, I appreciate you sharing your history. But I’m just so tired of constantly commiserating about this sh*t franchise. It’s like it’s hopeless.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Im similar except was so poor as a kid, didn’t attend my 1st NFL game until I was in college.  Watched the Jets on a B and W antenna TV asking my dad were we the black team or the white team.   REALLY got involved around 1980 with the sack exchange and have been die hard since.    terrible that a team we covet is owned by a moron.  

I was so poor, my hand me downs were hand me downs. My clothes were horrible. One winter, I think I had to wear a girls jacket. Remember these?

The 1970s were the golden era of repping your favorite NFL team

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This reads almost like a Jet fan self-eulogy, how it starts with “I was born...”
Thanks for sharing.
I hear you, brother.
It’s been a tough road, but at least you got to enjoy the one (trophy).
My earliest memories were from that ‘82 mud bowl season and of course, the game, with AJ Duhe suddenly becoming a household name.
The next big kick in the balls was the blown lead with Gastineau and company in Cleveland in the ‘86 playoffs.
I should have known by then it was hopeless.

Same here. Mud Bowl. Than Cleveland. Heard my dad say things I couldn’t believe was coming out of his mouth….I was hooked. Feel bad in a way my son had no choice. The cycle continues……..

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Okay, so now I’m really f**king depressed. 
I’m older than @Alka @Trotter @Dunnie and @JetsFanatic 

we can relate to your OP Alka, as depressing as it’s been, it’s been fun also. (my best memories were freezing my butt off in Shea watching goal posts sway in the wind).

I got hooked when I read in the Daily News that the Jets drafted two QBs Heisman winner John Huarte and the kid from Alabama, Joe Namath. My dad was a diehard Giants fan, so I had a hard road if I was looking for someone to root with on Sundays. 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Think I have mentioned this befor but yeah I gave the curse to my son

takevhim home from the hospital on opening day 1992. Falcons beat us

week 5 he is getting baptized and as the priest is pouring water over his forehead I ask him for a prayer for the jets

my wife would have killed me if she could but the priest looks up at me and says I don’t have that kind of power

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Born in 1962. Too young for the SB. Sat in Section 31 row O in Shea until they moved to NJ.

I am the same as you man....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

F9h.gif

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Born in 1962. Too young for the SB. Sat in Section 31 row O in Shea until they moved to NJ.

I am the same as you man....

I was born in 1965, and I do remember the Heidi Bowl. It was Christmas time and I was at my cousins house. We were all preschoolers, but I remember when the tv changed the program and all the men in the house went ballistic. I know from stories told years later that my Uncle had money on the game. He recouped it in the SB. 

I remember switching to the radio broadcast when Heidi came on. 
Hearing them describe that one slip away seemed surreal. 
It felt like we played Lamonica and the Raiders every year back then. Same with the Chargers (Hadl , Lance Bambi Alworth and Keith Lincoln. I never hated Dawson and the Chiefs until the next years AFL championship game… (that was a heartbreaking finish)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alka said:

Ditto

15 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's actually meant to be a Jet fan self-eulogy!  If I died tomorrow, I wanted to be able to post this.  It's more for my own satisfaction, but love that others are enjoying it!  I hope to have many more years on this earth, but unfortunately, I've seen a lot of death as I get older, and you just never know.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

It's been a very long time, but if I recall correctly, didn't NBC flash a ticker tape over the screen during Heidi that the Raiders came back and won the game?  That was the ultimate kick to my young developing groin...

Do you really think any real Jets fan would continue to watch Heidi long enough to see NBC flash a ticker tape over the screen?  Most everyone like me wanted to break the tv.  As a 9 or 10 year old boy, I instantly hated Heidi's guts!

I'm *51* and made my peace with never seeing the Jets play in the Super Bowl about 7 years ago. I have yet to be proved wrong.

At least you have vivid memories of the 1968 season. I wasn't born yet.

Gen X Jets fans have had it the worst, altho my Gen Z kids say at least I've seen the team play a bunch of playoff games. They have faint memories of 2009/10 but mostly this 13 years of non competitive football.

They have a point. Everything is relative I guess.