Jets doing the "right thing" releasing Cook and Saffold early, right? Well do the right thing and release Zach Wilson too

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, try to trade him, and if you can’t (you will be able to, IMO), THEN release him. 

JD isn’t a fan - he can’t get emotional about this stuff. It’s business.

You have an asset - it’s your job to try and get something for it before throwing it in the trash. 

He's got an asset alright. Minus the et.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

$11 mil hit to cut him, half of that to trade him for a seventh. Let the poor kid enjoy a few weeks skiing in Park City while getting paid, you bastard.

Bonus points, he gives the fans a focal point for their hate that is not in the front office or part of their future plans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

$11 mil hit to cut him, half of that to trade him for a seventh. Let the poor kid enjoy a few weeks skiing in Park City while getting paid, you bastard.

If Zach Wilson had ever exhibited a single shred of concern whether myself or other Jets fans were enjoying themselves, and I may have considered his enjoyment. 

Alas, that didn't come to fruition. If it were me, and I had to wait to trade him, I'd make sure he ended up in Carolina. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

You're right. 

I would definitely be shocked at that.

As shocked as when Josh Rosen fetched a 2nd, or when Darnold got a return equivalent to a 1st?  Or how about Trey Lance who barely played getting a 4th?

GMs don't care about fan ratings. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I will be extremely shocked if we get a 3rd round pick for Zach Wilson, yes.

Josh Rosen had only played 13 games when he was traded for that 2nd, a trade universally derided as a very poor one.

Trey Lance had stated exactly 4 games when he was traded for that 4th, a trade universally derided as a very poor one.

In both cases, there was still an argument that the QB's in question were still unknowns.

There is no such argument for Zach Wilson, who has started 33 games over three full seasons and produced one of the worst resumes in NFL history at the QB position, and missed time to injury in every year he's played.

The lessons of Rosen and Lance are also surely on the minds of current NFL GM's as well.

So yes, I will be extremely shocked if we get a 3rd round pick for Zach Wilson. 

I truly hope someone is that incredibly stupid.  Their loss will be our gain.

Do you think ZW has any value at all on the trade market?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Do you think ZW has any value at all on the trade market?

I could see a 6th or 7th, absolutely.  Some GM takes a flier on a "I can fix him, and if not he's an ok backup maybe" idea.

I could even see as high as a 5th in there is some GM who loved him coming out, and thinks we're the dumbest franchise in sports.  

Higher than that?  I don't see it, no. 

Unfortunately, I also see it equally likely that JD retains Wilson for year 4 as a backup again (worst case).

Or that Zach is outright released after the draft when no one bites.

Be assured, I 100% absolutely hope some idiot gives us a 3rd for him.  If you offered me that today, I would take it in an instant.  No thought required.

EDIT:  Also possible I suppose is a Darnold-like trade, where a team gives a better pick....in future years, i.e. a 2025 3rd or 4th, perhaps, combined with current-year 7th or the like.  That'd be good too.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

its the right thing to do for the fans. I could care less if its right for Zach but common, we should have the concrete assurance that we'll never have to watch that terrible qb ever suit up for the Jets again. Get rid of him. I dont give a crap about some conditional 6th rounder. JD will just waste it anyway. 

Flame away. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

You are gonna be shocked when they get a 3rd rounder or more for Zip. 

Yeah he sucks, yeah he's gotta go, but he has also improved but never had much of a chance this year given the state of the O line. 

Don't get it twisted I want him gone but I'm sure there's going to be a few GMs who believe they have the structure and coaching to help him reach his potential.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting somewhere in a couple years. 

I would be very shocked if they get a 3rd (never mind more) for him.

I do agree they could probably get someone to fork over something, though. No matter how small, even getting just a 2025 7th rounder in return is more successful, as a salary dump alone, than cutting him today. 

Cook and Saffold, in contrast, were due to become FAs after the season anyway. Saffold, who cares as he turns 36 in June; but Cook would've signed for more than the vet minimum and therefore would've qualified for a comp pick (or at least offset someone else added). I get that it's nice, but it's also stupid.

Regardless, neither are like Zach in that respect, in that he's got one more - fully guaranteed - year left on his contract. 

• Upvote 3

Zach has value.  

Like with Mac, it might not be much, but you can flip him for something.

A team trade for him and do what the Packers did with Love.  Do not pick up 5th year option.  Extend him a year.  Love will get more money in 2023 (essentially his 5th year option split over two years).  If he sucked he could be cut, but would only be 10+ million in dead carp.  If Tua is cut, he would be 23 million.

Glazer had him off the team this time last year and then the season ended and everyone talked their way into bringing him back. He’s not gone until he’s gone. He has zero trade value maybe beyond a conditional 7th. His salary is terrible and no one wants to pay that much for a 3rd stringer.

• Haha 1

This years rationale- “Zach didn’t get to sit behind Aaron, we still see the potential” it might happen folks.

Will the Jets Move On From Zach Wilson?

Even before arriving in Las Vegas for Shrine Bowl practice, Pro Football Network heard that players were urging Jets general manager Joe Douglas to move on from offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur and QB Zach Wilson during exit interviews at the end of the season before the Jets officially moved on from the offensive coordinator.

Several players were critical of LaFleur’s game planning and inability to make halftime adjustments. When it comes to Wilson, several players said the second pick of the 2021 NFL Draft is not the quarterback to lead the franchise moving forward — they feel the team should stick with Mike White or trade for a veteran.

Here in Vegas, league sources say that the Jets front office is ready to move on from Wilson and trade for a veteran, but owner Woody Johnson believes the former BYU quarterback can be salvaged. We’re told Johnson, whose been fully engaged in the Jets’ decision-making the past few weeks, believes Wilson is still an arm talent that should not be discarded.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

As shocked as when Josh Rosen fetched a 2nd, or when Darnold got a return equivalent to a 1st?  Or how about Trey Lance who barely played getting a 4th?

GMs don't care about fan ratings. 

All of those guys had perceived value at the time.  Lance had 2 years left on his deal at the time.  Rosen was a # 10 overall pick with 3 years left on his deal.  Darnold was seen as a talented kid who the Jets ruined (not the case around the league with Wilson - they know he sucked independent of the Jets' failures).  

Zach Wilson has $11M left on the 1 year remaining on his deal.  We're going to have to eat most of that just to get a conditional 5th.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Glazer had him off the team this time last year and then the season ended and everyone talked their way into bringing him back. He’s not gone until he’s gone. He has zero trade value maybe beyond a conditional 7th. His salary is terrible and no one wants to pay that much for a 3rd stringer.

Except his salary isn't that terrible. I'm in favor of the Jets shedding it anyway, because I've seen enough like most Jets fans, but in the era of $50-60MM/year QBs and fast-approaching a $250MM salary cap ceiling, his lone remaining year at $5MM for a 1 year tryout isn't much. If he had two guaranteed years remaining at that money the return might even be less. 

I wouldn't bet big money on it, but if I had to I think it's more likely someone will trade for him than it is no one would. 

Anyway he won't garner a 3rd rounder because no one's going to trade that even if his salary was the league minimum. The money doesn't factor into it too much now.

There's also a possibility they split the baby and absorb some of his upcoming, guaranteed roster bonus in exchange for a higher pick than is otherwise offered. They did that with Leo Williams to get a high 3rd for him. In effect, they'd be buying a higher draft pick with a couple million in cap space. Too early to tell if that's even on the table, of course. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of those guys had perceived value at the time.  Lance had 2 years left on his deal at the time.  Rosen was a # 10 overall pick with 3 years left on his deal.  Darnold was seen as a talented kid who the Jets ruined (not the case around the league with Wilson - they know he sucked independent of the Jets' failures).  

Zach Wilson has $11M left on the 1 year remaining on his deal.  We're going to have to eat most of that just to get a conditional 5th.

This isn't correct. He has about half that remaining: just under $5.5MM. 

If he had 2 years remaining - an additional $4MM he was paid this season on top of that, fully guaranteed - it's possible his trade value would be lower. :bag: 

We'll see what he gets. I can't imagine a 3rd rounder, but at this stage anything above a pure salary dump is gravy. The salary dump is enough for me, and I'm in favor of whatever else Douglas can squeeze out. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, freestater said:

its the right thing to do for the fans. I could care less if its right for Zach but common, we should have the concrete assurance that we'll never have to watch that terrible qb ever suit up for the Jets again. Get rid of him. I dont give a crap about some conditional 6th rounder. JD will just waste it anyway. 

Flame away. 

Worst post of the year so far. He has definite trade value and trading him lessens the cap hit. There is NO CHANCE they release him at this point

• Upvote 1