Mac Jones or Trevor Lawrence?

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

🤔

lol

I saw a graphic that compared Lawrence and Daniel Jones through 3 seasons and their numbers are EXACTLY the same

At least Wilson sucked enough where we can just toss him, what is Jax going to do with Mr. generational?

😂😂

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

And? Consider what teams each of these guys landed on.  The patsies still had a solid team and Jax was rebuilding.  Plus Lawrence had that idiot Meyer as coach.  I think this next season will be a breakout for Lawrence as Petersen puts his stamp on his team.  As for jones, hard to say what went wrong although the bellichicken didn’t do him any favors by having Patricia the oc.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

🤔

lol

They both suck but I think Mac Jones would have excelled in an offense like San Fran runs ... the deep ball does not win games in the NFL anymore this is not the Terry Bradshaw league anymore its the Joe Montana league and for good reason and thats why the high percentage pass has taken over because it makes sense. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, rangerous said:

And? Consider what teams each of these guys landed on.  The patsies still had a solid team and Jax was rebuilding.  Plus Lawrence had that idiot Meyer as coach.  I think this next season will be a breakout for Lawrence as Petersen puts his stamp on his team.  As for jones, hard to say what went wrong although the bellichicken didn’t do him any favors by having Patricia the oc.

I forget where I heard this question proposed yesterday, but I would take Lawrence over the #3 pick today if Jacksonville offered.

Belichick has done everything in his power to sabotage Mac.  Patricia.  Never addressing the tackle spot and/or OL.  Letting Jacoby Meyers walk and replacing him with JuJu.  He undermined Billy O, by not letting him pick his staff.  Three OCs.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Patrick Mahomes was.

Not debatable to me.  Never was.

No-one tanked to get Mahomes, though. And he's proof that draft experts know nothing, and that you can find great players outside the top 5 picks if you scout well.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

"Generational".

This is why people need to stop obsessing over tanking - no player in any draft is a sure-fire star.

Right because we're in pretty much the same spot from taking Zach Wilson as we would have been if we took Trevor Lawrence who, by the way, is much better than Mac Jones.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

"Generational".

This is why people need to stop obsessing over tanking - no player in any draft is a sure-fire star.

If the team sucks and you have no chance of winning anything then having a higher draft pick is better for the future of the franchise. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

🤔

lol

You left out the most important stat in Mac Jones favor.   5 wins against the Robert Saleh coached Jets.  Mac Jones is practically a god compared to Lawrence and his 1 and 1 record against the Jets.

• Upvote 1

Mac Jones came into the league and had one of the better rookie seasons for a qb in recent memory, whereas TL struggled.  But the arrow went in different directions.  Mac has regressed every single game he’s played in (likely b/c he doesn’t have the mental makeup to play in the NFL and take hits), whereas TL toughed it out and improved steadily.  

A big part of being a qb is toughness, and the ability to blank out pain from one play to the next.  Some guys simply don’t have it, and they eventually get exposed in the NFL.  If you watch Mac this year, he’s throwing ridiculous balls off his back foot without a defender anywhere near him.  Thats completely mental, and probably can’t be fixed.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Right because we're in pretty much the same spot from taking Zach Wilson as we would have been if we took Trevor Lawrence who, by the way, is much better than Mac Jones.

Lawrence being better than Zach isn't up for debate. Zach sucks.

But Lawrence was supposed to be "generational" and isn't.

He's good, not great, and certainly not generational.

Jones is Jones. Better than Zach, certainly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

"Generational".

Even if you don’t like the prospect at the top (or ~ top 3) of the board, you can trade down for three firsts and fundamentally change your program.  The Rams did that (RG3 trade). So did the Dolphins (Lance trade).  The 49ers themselves benefitted from the Trubisky trade down with the Bears.  The Bears then turned around later and are going to reap huge benefits by trading down with Carolina in the Bryce Young deal.

Tanking is always the right call in a lost season.  Draft capital is draft capital is draft capital.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I saw a graphic that compared Lawrence and Daniel Jones through 3 seasons and their numbers are EXACTLY the same

At least Wilson sucked enough where we can just toss him, what is Jax going to do with Mr. generational?

😂😂

Daniel jones was worst qb in NFL this yr, made zach look not completely terrible lol.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if you don’t like the prospect at the top of the board, you can trade down for three firsts and fundamentally change your program.

Tanking is always the right call in a lost season.  Draft capital is draft capital is draft capital.  

Remember this 1? Jets were set up for top pick in 2018. Top 3 easy.. They let Josh mccown play hero, they fought so hard to get out of top 3 , finished with 6 overall.. just to trade 3 second rounders to move back to 3rd overall where they wanted to be all along lol..

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Lawrence being better than Zach isn't up for debate. Zach sucks.

But Lawrence was supposed to be "generational" and isn't.

He's good, not great, and certainly not generational.

Jones is Jones. Better than Zach, certainly.

I don't disagree with any of that.

My point was that we would be in a much better place if we tanked for Trevor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Pick a QB out of top 10 round 1 and let him sit behind your starter for a  year or couple years.,

- Green Bay Packers 

Seems to be working out for them. I’d be fine with a R1 QB but you know they won’t do it.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Remember this 1? Jets were set up for top pick in 2018. Top 3 easy.. They let Josh mccown play hero, they fought so hard to get out of top 3 , finished with 6 overall.. just to trade 3 second rounders to move back to 3rd overall where they wanted to be all along lol..

That Darnold trade was the Jetseyist thing of all.  We traded up to avoid taking the best QB in that draft.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, dcJet said:

That trade was the Jetseyist thing of all.  We traded up to avoid taking the best QB in that draft.

To be even more “ jetsy” since we traded all our 2nd round picks..The next yr, 3 all pro wideouts go in 2nd round lol. Deebo Samuel , AJ brown, DK metcalf.. jets were starving for a WR, but then again that’s every yr.. Still would rather pick a 3rd string DL lol

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't disagree with any of that.

My point was that we would be in a much better place if we tanked for Trevor.

We'd also be (IMO) in a much better place if we'd traded down and drafted Mac Jones, or Justin Fields.

That's how bad Zach Wilson is/was.  

I'm not convinced, today, that we're meaningfully better today w/ Lawrence than we would have been with either Mac Jones, or (more to my own preference at that time) with Justin Fields.  Jones, specifically, might have been very well suited to the ultra-conservative style of Offense the Saleh regime has operated the past three seasons.  

We'll never know, it's all speculation and what if's and woulda-coulda's.

It will be interesting now to see:

1. Does Lawrence ever have that break out folks keep predicting?
2. Does Mac Jones get any opportunity elsewhere or under a new regime, to rehabilitate himself?
3. Do the Bears support/retain Fields, or go QB at #1 and trade Fields elsewhere, and how will Fields do if that happens?
4. Does anyone trade anything for Zach Wilson, and does Zach ever start again in the NFL at all?

No question that QB class, once so vaunted (as every class seems to be of late), is now looking like mostly meh.  The kind of meh that could have almost every top QB prospect traded or benched before the end of their rookie deals, with only Lawrence definitively likely to have his 5th year option used and to play that 5th year for the team that drafted him.  Fields still TBD on that.

I completely understand the theory of tanking-is-best, it's not wrong.  But in the real world, I think it's far more about the wisdom and intelligence of your GM and his scouts, not the slot you pick in more often than not.  Either way, NFL players never tank, so investing emotionally in pick slots before they're yours is just another way fans volunteer for crushing disappointment, so I just don't do it.  Worry about picks the day after the last game, not before, IMO.  Saves you alot of grief, lol.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'd also be (IMO) in a much better place if we'd traded down and drafted Mac Jones, or Justin Fields.

I'm not convinced, today, that we're meaningfully better today w/ Lawrence than we would have been with either Mac Jones, or (more to my own preference at that time) with Justin Fields.  Jones, specifically, might have been very well suited to the ultra-conservative style of Offense the Saleh regime has operated the past three seasons.  

We'll never know, it's all speculation and what if's and woulda-coulda's.

It will be interesting now to see:

1. Does Lawrence ever have that break out folks keep predicting?
2. Does Mac Jones get any opportunity elsewhere or under a new regime, to rehabilitate himself?
3. Do the Bears support/retain Fields, or go QB at #1 and trade Fields elsewhere, and how will Fields do if that happens?
4. Does anyone trade anything for Zach Wilson, and does Zach ever start again in the NFL at all?

No question that QB class, once so vaunted (as every class seems to be of late), is now looking like mostly meh.  The kind of meh that could have almost every top QB prospect traded or benched before the end of their rookie deals, with only Lawrence definitively likely to have his 5th year option used and to play that 5th year for the team that drafted him.  Fields still TBD on that.

I completely understand the theory of tanking-is-best, it's not wrong.  But in the real world, I think it's far more about the wisdom and intelligence of your GM and his scouts, not the slot you pick in more often than not.  Either way, NFL players never tank, so investing emotionally in pick slots before they're yours is just another way fans volunteer for crushing disappointment, so I just don't do it.  Worry about picks the day after the last game, not before, IMO.  Saves you alot of grief, lol.

Mac Jones is the creepiest player in the NFL. He is also a terrible QB that has no physical tools and also has no toughness at all. It is clear his teammates hate him. I am not so sure he gets another starting opportunity without a serious injury.

Lawrence is exactly what he was in college, a solid but wildly overrated QB that is far from generational. He is sort of the Mendoza line of "franchise QBs"

I think Chicago keep Fields AND drafts a QB and sits him for a year. Fields has improved but I am not sure he will continue to. I think he is what he is at this point.

Zach was the #2 pick playing under a completely dysfunctional offensive coaching staff all 3 years. Unlike Jones he has serious physical tools and is not creepy (at least to most people) He has definite trade value though I think his stating opportunity will come from injury not from being in a competition for starter. He is still super young and with good coaching he may blossom even more than Geno has

The Jets need to pick at least 1 and probably 2 QBs and not pass on one because of Rodgers if one is BPA on your board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The Jets would have made the playoffs these past two seasons if Mac Jones was their QB. He's tailor-made for the offense Saleh wants to run.

• Upvote 1

We’d be pretty pissed off with Mac Jones about now, as we would have had success early (maybe even the playoffs last year), but then there would be regression and that would suck given how much more talent there is now than a few years ago. 

Still if we had traded down for picks + gotten Jones, we’d at least have a competent backup and Penei Sewell (+other picks).

Anyway, water under the bridge.  We took a swing on a qb and missed.  Basically we gotta try again until we get it right.