Jets May Still Get Either Alt Or Fashanu

22 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Been looking at all the latest mock drafts...  Jets may very well still have a chance at either Alt or Fashanu

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024.php

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

These make sense.  It may very well go down like this. I hope it does.  

I don't see Bowers going in the top 6, which is what both of those drafts have, enabling the drop.

BUT

Every year, someone does something that is a head scratcher.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be surprised. LT is not a position that slides if anything it's a position where there's a run and guys go higher than expected.

Especially when the FA LT market looks bleak. Does Tyron even make it to FA?

image.png.ecd1b5e20d8790683c356f67fa693fcd.png

Teams in need of a LT will also likely be eyeing 6-9 as a target to trade up to knowing the Jets need a LT.

• Upvote 4

I think the first 4 picks will very likely be 3 QBs and MHJ. I also think Atlanta taking Turner makes a ton of sense. Let's assume that all happens.

That leaves 4 more picks before us - If 3 of those 4 picks are Bowers, Odunze, and Nabers, we are good. Not impossible - but probably not most likely. 

IMO, the chances are that we will be staring at Bowers and one of Odunze or Nabers. 

Of course, this is all super early - players will shoot up the board and others will drop. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Been looking at all the latest mock drafts...  Jets may very well still have a chance at either Alt or Fashanu

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024.php

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

These make sense.  It may very well go down like this. I hope it does.  

I doubt it but I proposed a similar scenario. The key selections will be - the Pats at pick #3, the Chargers at pick #5 and the Giants at pick 6.

Assuming CHI and WAS take QBs - do the Pats take the #3 QB? Or do they take MHJ - potentially the best prospect in the draft? This is critical because if they choose to take MHJ, I highly doubt ARI takes a QB, so I think this pushes up a WR (a major need for ARI) OR a defender. Both good things for the Jets. 

The Chargers might elect to take one of Alt or Fashanu if they are there to play RT (Slater stays at LT). But they also have a need at WR and defense. So this decision will be critical. If they go defense. Obviously good for the Jets because Tenn is probably going OT (depending on FA). 

For the Giants theres the domino effect from the Pats pick. If they go MHJ and pass on a QB, the Giants may decide to take that 3rd QB (Daniels?) instead of continuing to build around Danny Dimes. Obviously great for the Jets because the Falcons and Bears don't really need an OT. If the Giants decide to take a T, welp, Tenn is probably going to take the 2nd T and the Jets are effed. 

I think it may go something like this:

CHI- Williams

WAS- Maye

NE- MHJ

ARI- Nabers

LA- Latu

NYG- Daniels

TEN- Fashanu

ATL- Turner

CHI- Odunze

NYJ- Alt 

Thats probably the best shot we have at one of the top 2 OTs. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be surprised. LT is not a position that slides if anything it's a position where there's a run and guys go higher than expected.

@JustInFudge made an interesting point in a thread a couple weeks ago - effectively that the first tackle often has come off the board around pick 6 or 7 lately. Seems reasonable that Tennessee is the only team that takes a tackle. Although maybe the Bears drop down to a team that wants to move ahead of the Jets for a tackle if Douglas telegraphs the need.

That said, as long as there’s a defensive player going top 9 - and it seems likely Atlanta goes edge - there should be a tier 2 offensive talent available to the Jets at 10.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

@JustInFudge made an interesting point in a thread a couple weeks ago - effectively that the first tackle often has come off the board around pick 6 or 7 lately. Seems reasonable that Tennessee is the only team that takes a tackle. Although maybe the Bears drop down to a team that wants to move ahead of the Jets for a tackle if Douglas telegraphs the need.

That said, as long as there’s a defensive player going top 9 - and it seems likely Atlanta goes edge - there should be a tier 2 offensive talent available to the Jets at 10.

It's that trade up from someone else that I think gets us. I wonder if the falcons would take Huff in a tag and trade to swap firsts with us.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

- Saints: They need OT. Could jump uS

This is the piece that scares me.  Our need for OT is so obvious that we will be at risk of someone jumping us, just like the Steelers did last year.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the first 4 picks will very likely be 3 QBs and MHJ. I also think Atlanta taking Turner makes a ton of sense. Let's assume that all happens.

That leaves 4 more picks before us - If 3 of those 4 picks are Bowers, Odunze, and Nabers, we are good. Not impossible - but probably not most likely. 

IMO, the chances are that we will be staring at Bowers and one of Odunze or Nabers. 

Of course, this is all super early - players will shoot up the board and others will drop. 

Also don’t rule out a team like the Vikings trading up to get a qb, or even the saints.  Could see a team doing that and having 4 qbs gone before the jets pick.  It’s not that far fetched that one of those tackles falls to 10 in this draft.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's that trade up from someone else that I think gets us. I wonder if the falcons would take Huff in a tag and trade to swap firsts with us.

That'd be interesting.

I think the trade possibility is why Douglas needs to beef up tackle in free agency. It cannot be obvious they're going tackle in the draft. There needs to be a situation that it's okay for them to take WR3, Bowers, etc if that's who's there.

The defensive player top nine is big though. Even if they're totally committed to tackle, I think if a defensive player goes top nine then someone from that second tier of offensive prospects makes it to ten. To me, you take that player. But if there's a commitment to going OT, then having a tier drop after your pick makes it easier to move down (if the tier 2 offensive player isn't a tackle, if it is then you just take him).

I kind of suspect Fashanu is there at ten honestly. I think he's become boring.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Also don’t rule out a team like the Vikings trading up to get a qb, or even the saints.  Could see a team doing that and having 4 qbs gone before the jets pick.  It’s not that far fetched that one of those tackles falls to 10 in this draft.

McCarthy  and penix didn’t do much to raise their stocks in the championship game. Not nearly as confident a 4th let alone a 5th qb go in the top 10 anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

Why wouldn’t the falcons or bears take a left tackle? 

The Bears definitely could. The Falcons also could but they really need help on defense and taking the best defensive player in the draft seems natural. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Why wouldn’t the falcons or bears take a left tackle? 

Bears need a WR a lot more than a LT. I’d be surprised if one of their 1st two picks doesnt go to a WR.

They could trade back at 1 and take a WR there. This assumes no QB.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, extmenace said:

McCarthy  and penix didn’t do much to raise their stocks in the championship game. Not nearly as confident a 4th let alone a 5th qb go in the top 10 anymore. 

One game shouldn’t decide if you want a guy or not and we know how irrational teams get come draft time with qbs.  There’s several teams picking in the teens starting with Minnesota who may want one of those qbs.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I don't see Bowers going in the top 6, which is what both of those drafts have, enabling the drop.

BUT

True, but you might see 4 QBs going in the top 9 and 3 WR as well.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’ll be fun when the LTs we want get snatched up picks 8 & 9 and we’re left with our collective d**k in our hands, all because we had to build that winning culture.  

Then we will hear things like… He was taking Will McDonald all along. He didn’t want Broderick Jones

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

BUT

Not so sure about that.  Bowers is the sleeper of the draft.  Meaning there is a team with a top five pick that is hoping no one else sees what they do in Bowers.  IMHO, he is the third most valuable player in the draft not including QB's which of many top rated QB's will be major busts.  Alt, MHJ and Bowers are the best three players in the draft, IMHO.  Bowers is a great rout runner, is aggressive to the ball, has good hands, is aware of the QB and is a good blocker.  He will make a good offense and QB elite. 

I cant see him dropping lower than 5 unless there are some surprise trades for QB's that we are not expecting. 

• Upvote 1