AFC Getting Tougher

Jets have to get around the following teams to advance in the AFC

Bills, Ravens, Dolphins, Bengals, Texans, Chiefs, Jags, Browns...

And now.. With Harbaugh behind Justin Herbert, the Chargers are going to crush it in 2024.  One more team the Jets will have to get around, 

Good luck to JD and Bobby and Aaron

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gibby said:

I come here for the company. I realized it’ll never happen for the Jets years ago…. I frankly would be satisfied to just not be such a laughing stock.

You're asking a lot ;-) However, I honestly think they will make a run next season so long as Rodgers does not get injured,

Harbaugh is 2-7 in bowl games and a cheater and there are currently 0 Michigan QBs in the NFL. 
I really don’t understand the pearl clutching 

It may take him a year but he is going to vastly improve the offense and toughness and they will win nine or ten easily.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

And now.. With Harbaugh behind Justin Herbert, the Chargers are going to crush it in 2024.  One more team the Jets will have to get around, 

They’re all tough teams but only the bills, ravens, and chiefs can be considered multi year juggernauts.  The doltfins failed in securing the afceast division, burrow seems to get injured a lot, the jags and Texans are in a pretty weak division and the browns are one year older.  Any of those teams are equally capable of going 9-8 or 8-9.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

It’s silly to say January 25, 2024 what team are going to teams to beat in the AFC next year.   The Raiders young defense was playing as well any defense in football once A Pierce took over. The Raiders offense is loaded . They will address their Qb situation one way , or the other .      Let’s see what happens in Fa ( what teams lose / gain) and the draft .  Than you can say what teams are the one to beat.    Right now saying which team going to be the one to beat is just talking out of your butt.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Those teams have to get passed the Jets.

Super Bowl…here we come.

This! When fans of other teams go thru their schedule and see the Jets, they will no longer pencil in an automatic W. Assuming Big Aaron has a good season, those teams will be like SH*T, now we gotta play the Jets. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

It’s silly to say January 25, 2024 what team are going to teams to beat in the AFC next year.   The Raiders young defense was playing as well any defense in football once A Pierce took over. The Raiders offense is loaded . They will address their Qb situation one way , or the other .      Let’s see what happens in Fa ( what teams lose / gain) and the draft .  Than you can say what teams are the one to beat.    Right now saying which team going to be the one to beat is just talking out of your butt.

haha, the jets win the off season every year so the Raiders will be behind them again.

• Haha 1

Forget the Chargers. The Jets just need to win their division. Buffalo is slowly fading. I’m not sold on the Dolphins being some great team. The Patriots suck. Jets can win their division next season. Once in the playoffs with a home game anything can happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The compelling fact of my post was pointing out that an underachieving team, the Chargers will be joining the list of teams that are going to compete. Hard.  That due to Harbaugh arriving as their new HC.  They'll probably be shoving it up the Raiders "black hole" for years to come.  Yours too.  

39 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The compelling fact of my post was pointing out that an underachieving team, the Chargers will be joining the list of teams that are going to compete. Hard.  That due to Harbaugh arriving as their new HC.  They'll probably be shoving it up the Raiders "black hole" for years to come.  Yours too.  

Let’s see how the Chargers clean up their salary cap mess / how many big players they lose.   Your owner has deep pockets he can kick that debt down the curb by giving big signing bonuses.  Dean Spanos is in financial trouble , and not in position to do nothing like that. 
This isn’t a run league anymore, it’s a passing league game.   Jim Harbaugh old school football , doesn’t work in today football. 

you think you learn from last year , and wait for the  season to start, and hope for the best.  But this is the Jets Super Bowl now months before the new season starting.    So talk your crap again , get yourself excited , just stay away from sharp objects once the season starts.  

We all like to dump on our team all the time, myself included, but injuries definitely derailed the season before it really even hand a chance to start.  Amazingly enough, the Jets were actually in the mix for the division for awhile too.  I don’t think we’re as far away as we might think either.  What worries me the most though is if we get to the playoffs in 2024, our coaching staff just seems so inferior to the other playoff teams.  I think that’s our Achilles heel.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gibby said:

I come here for the company. I realized it’ll never happen for the Jets years ago…. I frankly would be satisfied to just not be such a laughing stock.

Nahhh you don’t want this

You dudes need to realize being in the middle of the pack in modern sports is a death sentence

It’s either true superbowl contender or completely blow, no in between. Why you think franchises like the Pacers and Vikings have never won anything? 

They are perennial middle of the pack orgs 

26 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Let’s see how the Chargers clean up their salary cap mess / how many big players they lose.   Your owner has deep pockets he can kick that debt down the curb by giving big signing bonuses.  Dean Spanos is in financial trouble , and not in position to do nothing like that. 
This isn’t a run league anymore, it’s a passing league game.   Jim Harbaugh old school football , doesn’t work in today football. 

you think you learn from last year , and wait for the  season to start, and hope for the best.  But this is the Jets Super Bowl now months before the new season starting.    So talk your crap again , get yourself excited , just stay away from sharp objects once the season starts.  

Not a run league ??? I suppose that makes it a disadvantage to have Justin Herbert and or Aaron Roders, eh ???.  And I know who the Jets are.  No need to lecture about how screwed up of an organization they are and will continue to be so long as Johnson has his finger in the pie.  The only crap I talk about the Jets is the usual critical crap I have been talking for years.  

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Not a run league ??? I suppose that makes it a disadvantage to have Justin Herbert and or Aaron Roders, eh ???.  And I know who the Jets are.  No need to lecture about how screwed up of an organization they are and will continue to be so long as Johnson has his finger in the pie.  The only crap I talk about the Jets is the usual critical crap I have been talking for years.  

yes Qb is single most important position in football .   Justin Herbert seems to have everything you look in a franchise Qb , but for whatever reason their team always  seem to disappoint and never play up to their talent on paper .    ( maybe never having home field advantage- nobody likes them in Los Angeles- it will always be a Raider town.  ( fact)     Jim Harbaugh going to rely heavy on the run game - you really want to take the ball out of J Herbert hands .How much is Herbert making a year to play that style.       A Rodgers is a hall of fame Qb but he’s forty one year now , coming off very serious injury .    You can’t tell me you will ever see that hall of fame A Rodgers again.    
the Qb landscape going to change in Fa, the draft , and in trades .  ( have to see those moves)    See Cj Stroud - changed the Texans fortune.   What happens there could be better situation than relying on 41 year old Qb .   Paying R Wilson 1.1 million to be bridge Qb while you draft a young Qb to eventually be the starter .   Not only could that be better next year, but gives your franchise a better longterm future.       Again let’s wait to see the moves that are made this off-season before you anoint anyone. 

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

We did this last year and then 3/4 of the starting QBs in the AFC went down and turned the season on its head

At the end of the day though, the cream (Buffalo, KC and Baltimore) rose to the top, and Houston took a huge leap forward. We still sucked though, so at least there’s that!

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

yes Qb is single most important position in football .   Justin Herbert seems to have everything you look in a franchise Qb , but for whatever reason their team always  seem to disappoint and never play up to their talent on paper .    ( maybe never having home field advantage- nobody likes them in Los Angeles- it will always be a Raider town.  ( fact)     Jim Harbaugh going to rely heavy on the run game - you really want to take the ball out of J Herbert hands .How much is Herbert making a year to play that style.       A Rodgers is a hall of fame Qb but he’s forty one year now , coming off very serious injury .    You can’t tell me you will ever see that hall of fame A Rodgers again.    
the Qb landscape going to change in Fa, the draft , and in trades .  ( have to see those moves)    See Cj Stroud - changed the Texans fortune.   What happens there could be better situation than relying on 41 year old Qb .   Paying R Wilson 1.1 million to be bridge Qb while you draft a young Qb to eventually be the starter .   Not only could that be better next year, but gives your franchise a better longterm future.       Again let’s wait to see the moves that are made this off-season before you anoint anyone. 

Some good points...  I think with Harbaugh, I don't believe he is stubborn or inflexible when it comes to how he will run an offense or defense.  When he was with the 49'ers, he used what he had to good effect.  Same with Michigan. I think JJ's accuracy had a lot to do with the favorable situations that he was playing in.  Once Harbaugh starts working with Herbert, he'll be a lot more pass oriented.  I do agree 100 % with the cap and money issues that you pointed out.  The Chargers need some nifty maneuvering managing what they have left to spend.  Most importantly, they have to hit on their drat picks, especially in the later rounds.  That is the best economy that there is.  Finding producers that don't cost a lot.  

With the Jets... If you have been reading my posts, you know I'm not a Jets fanboy, nor am I always negative.  The Jets don't need Rodgers to be the HOF version.  This is good news, because he ISNT.  They just need him to stay on the field.  He still has his arm, and most importantly, he has extensive experience and smarts.  Considering the Jets defense and excellent kicking game, Rodgers just being 50 % of who he was is good enough to see the Jets win 10 games or more.  Remember, they won 7 games and should have won 9 and they did it with one of the worst QB performance in league history.  The HUGE question for the Jets 2024 campaign is what Douglas can do with the offensive line.  They need two starting OT's and they need a top notch interior guy.  There are a good amount of interior lineman in FA, but only two OT's I'd consider good.  And, it does not look like either will be going to the Jets.  They will probably draft either Alt (if they are wonderfully lucky, or Fashanu or Fuaga.  That will fill one of the OT spots but what about the second ??? A line minus an OT = a maimed Aaron Rodgers and another lost season.  And, I also agree that they need a good back-up/bridge QB.  Douglas blew that big time last year.  He needs to land a guy like Wilson or Jacoby Brissett. 

As for the Raiders.  Always liked them.  Especially the late 70's early 80's before Al D. started losing his mind.  I started liking them a lot again with Chucky and was very excited when he returned.  I was pretty pissed off when Soup Bowl caved in and fired him because of Goodell's hatched job.  The Soup Bowl should have dug in and resisted.  I suppose in todays media environment, I can forgive him for making the move to let him go.  Even Keshawn Johnson who despises Chucky said he never saw *ANYTHING* remotely racist from Chucky.  Sure, Chucky said some childish things, but it was in private.  If the reality of it is that he is truly not a racist, I hope he totally fleeces Goodell with his law suit and I wish Soup Bowl would take him back.  I'm all but positive that had Chucky not been cancelled, we would have been watching the Raiders last week.

Yeah I'm more worried about us making the moves we need to make, and Rodgers staying on the field.  If those things happen we should, at the very least, be a playoff team.  Maybe once we get in I'll start to worry about how good the rest of the AFC is.  

16 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I don't understand. Didn't the Jets handle a lot of these caliber teams this year pretty well? If not beating them, then hanging in there. The Chiefs, the Eagles (not AFC, I know), the Bill, the Texans? They hung in there against the Dolphins until the infamous Hail Mary INT returned for a TD by Semen. They hung in there against the Cowboys (again, not AFC but a very good team and #1 defense at the time) - 18-10 at half. 

And they did this without their QB - and to be more accurate THE WORST QB IN THE LEAGUE. They did this with an OC who was completely incompetent running an offense for anyone other than Rodgers. They did this with a beat-up, injured, patchwork o-line. And they did this with their #1 FA acquisition on offense (Lazard) having a terrible year. 

And they still won 7 games. 

Am I missing something? 

With their HOF QB coming back healthy. Their OC now set to coach in a system and FOR the guy he was brought in to coach for. Their injured o-linemen (and I'm talking about AVT here) coming back healthy. And Lazard getting to play with the QB he has had his best production with. Is it unfathomable that the Jets are ALSO going to get better??? Maybe A LOT better? Maybe with the right offseason moves and just a little bit of luck in the draft they will improve more than any other AFC team?

LMFAO. 

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF    

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

its almost like u have to beat good teams to be good

We were able to handle a few good teams this season.  Problem was the losses to bad teams.  Chargers, Raiders and Falcons in a 5 game stretch, plus the early season L to NE.  All beat us and finished below .500.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, THE BARON said:

1) As we know all too well, one injury derails all of that. See Rodgers, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Watson.

2) All of those teams are looking at the Jets and saying: that's a 7 win team with a top 3 defense and absolute studs at WR and RB despite having a historically bad QB, and they're replacing him with a first ballot hall of famer just two seasons removed from back to back MVPs.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

We were able to handle a few good teams this season.  Problem was the losses to bad teams.  Chargers, Raiders and Falcons in a 5 game stretch, plus the early season L to NE.  All beat us and finished below .500.

100%

Some real broad assumptions here.....Browns and Jags do not scare me, we mopped the Texans, we have beat the Bills, we lost by 3 to the Chiefs. The Chargers? We do not play them in 2024 but if anyone thinks they are winning a SB next year I got something to sell ya.

Settle down folks. The better news if the Bills and Pats are on a clear decline. Dolphins are a paper tiger every year. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I don't understand. Didn't the Jets handle a lot of these caliber teams this year pretty well? If not beating them, then hanging in there. The Chiefs, the Eagles (not AFC, I know), the Bill, the Texans? They hung in there against the Dolphins until the infamous Hail Mary INT returned for a TD by Semen. They hung in there against the Cowboys (again, not AFC but a very good team and #1 defense at the time) - 18-10 at half. 

And they did this without their QB - and to be more accurate THE WORST QB IN THE LEAGUE. They did this with an OC who was completely incompetent running an offense for anyone other than Rodgers. They did this with a beat-up, injured, patchwork o-line. And they did this with their #1 FA acquisition on offense (Lazard) having a terrible year. 

And they still won 7 games. 

Am I missing something? 

With their HOF QB coming back healthy. Their OC now set to coach in a system and FOR the guy he was brought in to coach for. Their injured o-linemen (and I'm talking about AVT here) coming back healthy. And Lazard getting to play with the QB he has had his best production with. Is it unfathomable that the Jets are ALSO going to get better??? Maybe A LOT better? Maybe with the right offseason moves and just a little bit of luck in the draft they will improve more than any other AFC team?

LMFAO. 

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF    

Yes, yes and yes... And now, they have to deal with a much tougher Chargers team too, should they make it to the post season.  The Chargers have been soft for so long, despite very talented rosters and excellent QBs.  Who better than Harbaugh to harden their asses up ???

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1) As we know all too well, one injury derails all of that. See Rodgers, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Watson.

2) All of those teams are looking at the Jets and saying: that's a 7 win team with a top 3 defense and absolute studs at WR and RB despite having a historically bad QB, and they're replacing him with a first ballot hall of famer just two seasons removed from back to back MVPs.

One important advantage for the Jets that you left out.  And, although attention towards this wonderful fact was swamped by discourse about the dreadful offense and Zach Wilson... The Jets kicking/punting game was absolutely splendid.  There was a LOT of hidden yardage there.  It *REALLY* mattered/will matter.  And, Greg The Leg and Tom Terrific will be back... And so will the entire defense with the exception of Huff.

As long as Rodgers does not get injured, the Jets are going to have a nice season.

Taking it for granted that Douglas makes all the needed acquisitions for the offensive line.  All other roster needs including, yes WR, must take a back seat to adding OT, OT, OG.  

And please mark this... If JD counts on Becton in ANY way or if he drafts JC Latham... I GUARANTEE Joe Namath style, that the 2024 season will be over before it starts. 

They need dependable, consistent and solidly talented manpower up and down the offensive line.  It's curtains for 2024 if that is not accomplished. 

• Upvote 1