C. Robinson; potential big piece of the off-season puzzle

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

So, the solution to perpetually injured OL is more perpetually injured OL. Yesss. I like this.

Think About It GIF by Identity

until our GM figures out how to do his job on draft day... Yes. Yes it is

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yes, risks exist with Robinson, but that's why he may be available. There's no perfect/flawless OT falling into our laps.

If he's cut, absolutely need to go hard after him. Securing Cam only takes the pressure off of #10 pick and certainly the need for any OT drafted to be insta-elite starter.

He sucks

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Know how many good Olineman with no questions are available via trade or FA?   Less than 1 and more than -1

No good, durable olineman are ever available, none.

The consensus best OT in the game today?  Trent Williams, a guy with a 'huge' medical risk.

If the Jets are going to bring in any guys this off season there will be a risk.

Oh, okay then.

My plan for the off season would be:

• "fix" all of the overpaid contracts, one way or the other.
  • Sign as many potential upgrades on the OL as possible, yes by overpaying if necessary.  I would rather overpay guys who can block on the OL than guys who tackle 5 yards downfield.
  • Use first round pick on offensive playmaker.  Then BPA.  
  • Upvote 1

Yup! It's going to be really interesting to see who comes available/rumored to be as we head into March.

There's always a bunch of names that nobody expected to get traded/cut that see that fate. I think with the idea of this draft being so OL-centric, there will be plenty of teams that may want to get younger on the OL or think they can improve there. That will spring guys free for the Jets to take good looks at 

I am actually starting to warm up to the idea of signing both Jonah Williams and David Bakhtiari.

• Bakhtiari will come cheap after he is a cut and I can see a 1-year 4-5 million dollar deal for him with incentives
  • Williams has experience at both LT and RT, although he excelled at RT this year and had up and downs at LT his first few seasons
  • This will give us flexibility and allow us to draft best OT or WR available and keep AVT at Guard
  • If Bakhtiari goes down, Jonah Williams can start at LT, if we end up drafting a RT like Fuaga 
  • If Bakhtiari holds up and plays well then you keep him at LT, Williams at RT, move AVT to LG, put Fuaga at RG for this season

I think our OL free agency plan will end up looking some combination of signing Bakhtiari (After he's cut of course) to a 1-year cheap deal and someone else who can start at either LT or RT.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I am actually starting to warm up to the idea of signing both Jonah Williams and David Bakhtiari.

• Bakhtiari will come cheap after he is a cut and I can see a 1-year 4-5 million dollar deal for him with incentives
  • Williams has experience at both LT and RT, although he excelled at RT this year and had up and downs at LT his first few seasons
  • This will give us flexibility and allow us to draft best OT or WR available and keep AVT at Guard
  • If Bakhtiari goes down, Jonah Williams can start at LT, if we end up drafting a RT like Fuaga 
  • If Bakhtiari holds up and plays well then you keep him at LT, Williams at RT, move AVT to LG, put Fuaga at RG for this season

I think our OL free agency plan will end up looking some combination of signing Bakhtiari (After he's cut of course) to a 1-year cheap deal and someone else who can start at either LT or RT.

This is a great plan, although I see a WR getting picked at 10 or later that will really impact games. 

I don't think that is how we are going though. 

But we are not signing a waterboy until we free up cap space. 

• Upvote 1

At some point we have to make big changes internally about how we train, prepare and such. As well as the biggest thing... CHANGE TO GRASS!!!

So if we keep the turf and train and prepare the way we have. We could sign or draft the most durable players and they'll inevitably get injured with us.

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

At some point we have to make big changes internally about how we train, prepare and such. As well as the biggest thing... CHANGE TO GRASS!!!

So if we keep the turf and train and prepare the way we have. We could sign or draft the most durable players and they'll inevitably get injured with us.

Grass in the winter in the north east would be expensive as hell to try to maintain, they might as well play in mud. Plus they would need to get approval and funding from the other co-tenant.....who strangely I never hear complain so much about injuries on the turf.  Either way its not happening. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, varjet said:

This is a great plan, although I see a WR getting picked at 10 or later that will really impact games. 

I don't think that is how we are going though. 

But we are not signing a waterboy until we free up cap space. 

I think we'll be:

• signing Calvin Ridley (I doubt Mike Evans leaves Tampa, especially for here)
  • signing a big $ OT (Jonah)
  • signing a 1-year cheap prove it deal OT (Bakhtiari)

This will give us options at 10 for BPA because even if the team is hesitant that Bakhtiari can hold up:

• Jonah can swing to LT
  • Carter Warren or draft pick can start at RT
  • If we trade down or trade Huff for a 2nd or 3rd we can add OT in those rounds

Hypothetically, let's say we sign a high priced OT + a low priced one + a WR like Ridley or Evans + recoup our 2nd round pick (all very reasonable possibilities. This isn't a big Madden-esque fantasy team build dream) and Bowers or Nabers is sitting there at 10....how do you NOT make that pick? I think they run the podium honestly and beef up the OL more in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

If we only sign 1 really good OT this offseason who can play either LT or RT. I'm pretty comfortable with Carter Warren starting at RT as long as we add some vet depth and draft another OT within the first 3 rounds. Cut Laken and add two younger hungrier guards for the same $. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hypothetically, let's say we sign a high priced OT + a low priced one + a WR like Ridley or Evans + recoup our 2nd round pick (all very reasonable possibilities. This isn't a big Madden-esque fantasy team build dream) and Bowers or Nabers is sitting there at 10....how do you NOT make that pick? I think they run the podium honestly and beef up the OL more in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

If we only sign 1 really good OT this offseason who can play either LT or RT. I'm pretty comfortable with Carter Warren starting at RT as long as we add some vet depth and draft another OT within the first 3 rounds. Cut Laken and add two younger hungrier guards for the same $. 

The old Giants teams would have huge OLs and a QB, but no name WRs.  There were others like that.

But it seems like you can piece together a team with a decent OL and make a difference with a QB and WRs. 

On 2/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, Beerfish said:

Know how many good Olineman with no questions are available via trade or FA?   Less than 1 and more than -1

The consensus best OT in the game today?  Trent Williams, a guy with a 'huge' medical risk.

If the Jets are going to bring in any guys this off season there will be a risk.

Why is that so hard to understand for some?

Interestingly though, JD gets bashed for this very thing with who he did bring in AND draft.  There have been a TON of injuries on this OL the past two seasons.  More than any other team in the league.  So, is this JD constantly drafting/signing guys who are hurt?  OR.....is the field/medical staff the issue?  OR....something else?  Very interesting, indeed.

OL is becoming a harder position to play as there are more and more bigger and faster players they have to try and stop.  The game is going to either have to move toward flag football, or we have to start pumping guys with even more drugs to get them bigger and stronger.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, Paradis said:

Yes, risks exist with Robinson, but that's why he may be available. There's no perfect/flawless OT falling into our laps.

If he's cut, absolutely need to go hard after him. Securing Cam only takes the pressure off of #10 pick and certainly the need for any OT drafted to be insta-elite starter.

I agree that Cam Robinson should and would become our #1 target should he become available.

Jax can't afford to lose Josh Allen and will need the money to either need to franchise tag him or sign him to a monster deal.

I don't think they'll re-sign Ridley as I believe that would require them to send an additional pick to Atlanta but they will either need the money to re-sign Ridley or sign his replacement.

All in all I fully expect Cam Robinson to get cut.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, Beerfish said:

Know how many good Olineman with no questions and names I know are available via trade or FA?   Less than 1 and more than -1

The consensus best OT in the game today?  Trent Williams, a guy who was available with a 'huge' medical risk.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:26 PM, Paradis said:

until our GM figures out how to do his job on draft day... Yes. Yes it is

Not completely a fair assessment dude.  Becton was relatively injury-free in college.  So was AVT.  Clark suffered a freak injury that ended his career before it started.  Mitchell with blood clots.  Warren an injury in training camp.  You can't blame a GM for injuries.  Now, this team seems to have an injury history once they get to the Jets.  That is not a coincidence.  So, blame the GM for hiring a bad OL coach, bad trainers, bad medical staff, not pushing for better turf....whatever the case is.  But he has continually drafted players and signed players who have all got injured.  Some never before coming here.  If JD is to blame for anything, I would be talking about his choices in the above-mentioned.