The wheels sure feel like they have come off

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It would be criminal for woody to have advisors ignore the fact how bad JD has been simply because Rodgers has maybe 1 more good year left in him. It would be like calling the Nathaniel Hackett the best Offensive coordinator in NFL history simply because he was the OC for QB who won back to back MVPs late in his career.

Rodgers can still be here while JD is not. If rodgers does have a good yr, they are not going to change his coaches before he finally retires. But the gm exit has nothing to do with Aaron. A new gm almost definitely improves the team now, but more importantly starts to make better draft choices to build for both during and post Aaron rodgers. 

Even if rodgers looks good, he’s just too fragile to rely on.  Of course if they have a good year with him and say rodgers retires, i wouldn’t be surprised if woody retains these 2 guys and then douglas figures I’ll just trade for another qb rather than draft one and have that rookie tank my career again 

They aren’t lame ducks, they have two years left on their contracts. Normally extensions occur when going into their final season.
The extension would been to be done prior to June for that to happen. He will be in his final year come June of this year.
  • Upvote 1

This FO/CS has not had a winning season. Last offseason the OC got fired and they came to the conclusion that their number 2 pick needed time. They tried a stop gap who unfortunately got injured. This created a situation that confirmed their #2 pick was a bust.

This offseason, Zach will be traded and Joe Douglas has lost both his top guys.

The wheels have been coming off since last offseason. They tried to patch it up but it hasn't worked so far.

• Upvote 1

The crazy thing is I feel we are just a competent offense away.  Maybe the Rogers basket wasn't the best way to go in hindsight but a top 20 offense this year puts us in the playoffs.  And another year of devastating injuries to the OL marked this year as a sure fire disaster.

If Rogers stays healthy and we are still a bubble playoff team, I think heads start rolling then.

I actually like JD as a GM, and am actually happy for him to continue even without Saleh.  But alas it's not my decision.

3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

JD, in a contract year, loses his top two lieutenants before the draft.  Hmmm. There is no way to read this but a sign of an organizational change coming. Unless there is an extension coming for JD and he brings in a new front office team, you can smell the blood in the water.  Would be very hard to bring in top personnel guys without an extension. Same for Saleh.  This feels like a one and done year, and "clean house" at the end of the year.  Would not be surprised if Woody makes a move on the GM after the draft, with the coaching change during of after the season.

Can’t repeat the mistake of firing a GM after the draft like they did with MaCagnan.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

In June of 2020, he had completed the first year of his contract.

June 2019-June 2020 1st year
June 2020-June 2021 2nd year
June 2021-June 2022 3rd year
June 2022-June 2023 4th year
June 2023-June 2024 5th year
June 2024-June 2025 6th year

Right.  They are under contract for this season and the one after.  That’s two seasons.

It’s still amazing that there are very smart, good posters on here that actually believe that JD and Saleh had anything to do with Rodgers coming here and that it wasn’t 100% Woody. That’s like blaming Rex and Mr. T for bringing in Tebow. They can be blamed for lots but not that.

Right.  They are under contract for this season and the one after.  That’s two seasons.
This upcoming season of regular season football runs from Sept 2024 to Jan of 2025. The following season of regular season games start in September of 2025. Douglas contract ends before a single 2025 regular season game is played. Actually it ends before a 2025 preseason game is played. If you want to call that 2 years then have at it.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

It’s still amazing that there are very smart, good posters on here that actually believe that JD and Saleh had anything to do with Rodgers coming here and that it wasn’t 100% Woody. That’s like blaming Rex and Mr. T for bringing in Tebow. They can be blamed for lots but not that.

Tannenbaum said years after leaving the Jets that it was his idea and he got Sexy Rexy on board before Woody. 

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8894381/mike-tannenbaum-tim-tebow-trade-new-york-jets-my-idea-no-regrets

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Tannenbaum said years after leaving the Jets that it was his idea and he got Sexy Rexy on board before Woody. 

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8894381/mike-tannenbaum-tim-tebow-trade-new-york-jets-my-idea-no-regrets

Obviously I never heard/ saw that. Tnx for the heads up. The fact that he has no regrets is probably a big reason why he continues to be on ESPN and not back in the business.😎

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Obviously I never heard/ saw that. Tnx for the heads up. The fact that he has no regrets is probably a big reason why he continues to be on ESPN and not back in the business.😎

Tebow in a Taysom Hill role was the idea. The jets were just bad where it didn’t matter.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:
They aren’t lame ducks, they have two years left on their contracts. Normally extensions occur when going into their final season.

The extension would been to be done prior to June for that to happen. He will be in his final year come June of this year.

Saleh has two years left, no extension. JD signed a 6 year deal in June of 2019 which I assume runs to June of 2025 which includes two more drafts. Any extension for either would come after this season depending on the outcome.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Read it again.  It's one season.  

Ending in June 2025 does not cover the 2025 season.

The 2024 season is the final season for which they are under contract.

The fact they're under contract a few months after the season is irrelevant.  It doesn't get them into or through the 2025 season.  Only a new extension would do that.

The 2024 season (Sept. 2024 thru Jan. 2025) is their final under their respective current contracts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

JD, in a contract year, loses his top two lieutenants before the draft.  Hmmm. There is no way to read this but a sign of an organizational change coming. Unless there is an extension coming for JD and he brings in a new front office team, you can smell the blood in the water.  Would be very hard to bring in top personnel guys without an extension. Same for Saleh.  This feels like a one and done year, and "clean house" at the end of the year.  Would not be surprised if Woody makes a move on the GM after the draft, with the coaching change during of after the season.

he has two years left as does RS

• WTF? 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Read it again.  It's one season.  

Ending in June 2025 does not cover the 2025 season.

The 2024 season is the final season for which they are under contract.

The fact they're under contract a few months after the season is irrelevant.  It doesn't get them into or through the 2025 season.  Only a new extension would do that.

The 2024 season (Sept. 2024 thru Jan. 2025) is their final under their respective current contracts.

Okay, I stand corrected.  This is a make or break season for them.  Saleh was hired in January of 2020.  Douglas was hired in June of 2019. Therefore if Douglas contract is six years then his last month will be June 2025.  Salehs last month is January of 2025.  I think the confusion comes from the fact that the contracts (unless stated incorrectly) are in years not football seasons.  I strongly suspect Douglas will be rehired dependent on how well the draft and free agency goes.  The interesting thing here is that saleh could actually submarine Douglas by not developing the drafted players thereby making Douglas look worse.

• Upvote 1

Looked like we were on track to do something following the 2022 draft. Then Douglas and Saleh did exactly what they said they wouldn’t, which is take a short cut, and made the trade for Rodgers. Had that not happened, we’d be in position to draft Caleb, Maye or Daniels in April. Such a bummer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Okay, I stand corrected.  This is a make or break season for them.  Saleh was hired in January of 2020.  Douglas was hired in June of 2019. Therefore if Douglas contract is six years then his last month will be June 2025.  Salehs last month is January of 2025.  I think the confusion comes from the fact that the contracts (unless stated incorrectly) are in years not football seasons.  I strongly suspect Douglas will be rehired dependent on how well the draft and free agency goes.  The interesting thing here is that saleh could actually submarine Douglas by not developing the drafted players thereby making Douglas look worse.

Yeah, it can be confusing honestly.  Especially when you get thinking about hire dates and think in "years".

More likely, in the real world, the contracts aren't actually "years" at all, but have set termination dates that align with league year based dates.

The media would still say "signed a 6 year deal", but the actual deal may be from June whatever when hired, thru to the last day of the league year 2024 (which isn't June, but in March).  Without the deal in-hand, who really knows tho.

But I think it's safe to say that without extension, both JD and Saleh would not be Jets on opening day of 2025, so thinking of 2024 as their "last year" is appropriate. :)

And yes, Saleh being poop could seriously hurt JD's chances of extension, so they're sorta in it together, at least conceptually.  Which is how it should be really.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, it can be confusing honestly.  Especially when you get thinking about hire dates and think in "years".

More likely, in the real world, the contracts aren't actually "years" at all, but have set termination dates that align with league year based dates.

The media would still say "signed a 6 year deal", but the actual deal may be from June whatever when hired, thru to the last day of the league year 2024 (which isn't June, but in March).  Without the deal in-hand, who really knows tho.

But I think it's safe to say that without extension, both JD and Saleh would not be Jets on opening day of 2025, so thinking of 2024 as their "last year" is appropriate. :)

And yes, Saleh being poop could seriously hurt JD's chances of extension, so they're sorta in it together, at least conceptually.  Which is how it should be really.

I would be ok with JD staying. However, the deciding  factor is that in the two biggest decisions that a GM has to make, hiring a coach and drafting a FQB  where he did, he failed abysmally. And that will kill him, or at least it should.Even in Woody World.

7 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Not to hard to see what is coming.  If the Jets have more losses than wins and appear to be out of the playoffs by mid October, JD, Saleh and that entire support staff is gone.

Still understandable that they "ran it back".  The Rodgers injury was bad luck.  I can't imagine that anyone involved saw that coming.  Also add here... Woody has been fingered as the guy that wanted all in for Rodgers.  How could he have sh*t-canned either the HC or the GM for the move that he, himself made.

But it sure as hell is going to be OPEN SEASON on JD, Saleh and everyone else there if they come up snake eyes in 2024.  There wont be so much as a shallow fox hole for them to hide in. 

• The scouts have to be scouting during the season.  I don't think JD gets canned during the season.  Maccagnan got canned after the draft, which was moronic. 
  • There is no sense to firing Saleh before the season.  He will be fired no later than Black Monday.  He will be fired before if he has another meltdown.  
  • I think Woody and Hymie will be talking to potential GMs and HCs during next season, and maybe not even keep it a secret.  

Every post about Zach Wilson is about how the guy is not an NFL caliber QB. The guy is absolute trash. He's a baby. He's a quitter. Can we all agree on that?

So how in the world was Saleh supposed to produce wins when he was saddled with the worst player at the game's most important position? What the **** could he have done to win double digit games the last 2 years when he was basically crippled at the QB position?? That's why I can't take any of these "Saleh is the worst coach ever!" posts seriously. Yeah, he screwed up a few things. But holy hell the guy isn't a miracle worker. Again, who could have coached the last 2 years under the same circumstances and got us to the playoffs??

8 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

This Board frankly has became almost unreadable. Thread after thread of the sky is falling.

Don't worry, by this August all of the threads will be "Jets will win the SB - Book it"

I think Saleh honestly wanted to be fired and get out of here AND even if things somehow go well next season , he wont sign an extension here.  Hes wants out.  He just would have preferred this year to get a free year of Woodys money.