A defense of Woody Johnson

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rex wanted him so much that he immediately banished him to special teams duty. 

Tanny was about the weakest GM you  could think of and what Rex wanted he got, no I will stick with my  thought.

Rex wanted a wildcat option he saw the year before how miami destroyed the pats with it and he did not like defending it.

You guys give Woody way too much credit for viciously swaying the real football men into awful moves.

If only Woody had not picked McDonald over JSN and Rodgers over Carr!   He also put the kibosh  on Van Jefferson.   The Rat owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

Sup Holmes?

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

His sperm swam fast.  That’s not a repeatable skill. 

This. His lone accomplishment in this world was that he out-swam the other tadpoles that shot out of his father's pee-hole. That's about it.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Hes also a diplomat and did a number to improve UK and US relations (I don’t know what but he was ambassador so figuring he did something)

1. Create new screen name ( I liked first one better)

2. Start thread about Woody 

3. Inject politics 

4. profit? 

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This. His lone accomplishment in this world was that he out-swam the other tadpoles that shot out of his father's pee-hole. That's about it.

He’s doubled his families wealth with decision to purchase Jets.

He was a US Ambassador.

Woodys lived a brilliant life. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Hes also a diplomat and did a number to improve UK and US relations (I don’t know what but he was ambassador so figuring he did something)

Not even the 10 Foot Pole will touch this one....

1d670e80ccd1535758e877a4d944e686.thumb.jpg.01788fbb8f0e6beacac607946cbe4667.jpg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

He was a US Ambassador.

Turning a profit on an NFL team is the only sure thing you'll find in this world. It wasn't some shrewd move on his part, he just had his father's money to throw around.

And his prerequisite to becoming ambassador was donating a large sum of money to a certain someone's presidential campaign. Again, Daddy's money, not merit.

He's a f*cking donkey whose sole accomplishment was being born into a rich family. 

• Upvote 3

I understand it's not a popular opinion, but by and large, ownership in sports gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things don't go well. For the most part, they are just signing checks.

Blame Woody for hiring some terrible GMs and Head Coaches over the years. But blame the GMs and Head Coaches for failing in their respective jobs.

We would all be singing a very different tune about Woody if Zach Wilson isnt a complete bust and JD shows some form of competence in building an offensive line.

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I understand it's not a popular opinion, but by and large, ownership in sports gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things don't go well. For the most part, they are just signing checks.

Blame Woody for hiring some terrible GMs and Head Coaches over the years. But blame the GMs and Head Coaches for failing in their respective jobs.

Its more than that.  There are a lot of structural problems with the Jets.  This was most visibly seen near the end of the Maccagnan years, where you had non football guys (VPs etc) that were beginning to pressure the GM/Coaching staff with decision making.   That doesn’t work at all.  Decision by committee is a terrible way to run an organization.

It of course ended particularly badly as we ended up with Joe Douglas (a good hire) basically having to deal with a dead man walking coach (Gase), and we lost an entire draft class b/c we had no long term system in place and the players we got had to basically be project type guys who could be molded.

Then of course there is the choice of medical staff (The Jets have one of the worst medical guys in the entire league as they are constantly in the news for the wrong reasons), as well as the crappy turf situaton as well as the season ticket holder grief.  Etc etc.  So yea, we are basically bottom of the barrel in terms of front office, and it trickles down.

More recently with the leaks and the internal grief that managed to spill over into the tabloids.  Its just not a good look.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tanny was about the weakest GM you  could think of and what Rex wanted he got, no I will stick with my  thought.

Rex wanted a wildcat option he saw the year before how miami destroyed the pats with it and he did not like defending it.

You guys give Woody way too much credit for viciously swaying the real football men into awful moves.

If only Woody had not picked McDonald over JSN and Rodgers over Carr!   He also put the kibosh  on Van Jefferson.   The Rat owner.

He hired Mike f**king Maccagnan dude.  Case closed.

• Upvote 1

This is my summary of Woody.  You have read this before:

• Woody has always been involved with the operation of the team.  It is really the only thing he does.    All of the various moves we have seen, Woody has been behind them.  They were able to have a good first 10 years, and then after the Parcells influence finally evaporated, the wheels came off the bus.  
  • When Woody went to the UK, Chris tried to hire good people and delegate decision making to them.  Unfortunately Woody came back and their decisions were not good.  I definitely Woody had his thumb on the scale to pick a new QB and reset the rookie contract clock, even if the new QB was even worse than the existing one.  I all fairness Darnold was better but not worth the 5th year option.  
  • Woody was behind bringing AR8 in and strongly supported giving him what he wanted.  We also believe Woody supported and if not directed not spending money on another QB.
  • People are frustrated now because he is blaming others for not having a backup QB, throwing pathetic Zach W under the bus and sounding like an idiot.  

3 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

Woody should consider not meddling in player acquisition...

You should consider not meddling in thread composition...

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He hired Mike f**king Maccagnan dude.  Case closed.

No no no.......Charlie Casserly!

As I said yes he stinks becasue who he hires.  I stated that.  He does not have the huge influence on moves people seem to think he does.  All lame excuses for the GM and coaches we hire.

He doesn’t deserve fans as loyal as us, that’s for sure.

Even though he owns one of the laughing stock NFL franchises, it don’t matter. He’s still wealthier today than when he bought it. Whoever advised him to buy the NYJ is/was very good at his job.

Woody’s obviously too dumb to up with the buying idea all by himself.

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No no no.......Charlie Casserly!

As I said yes he stinks becasue who he hires.  I stated that.  He does not have the huge influence on moves people seem to think he does.  All lame excuses for the GM and coaches we hire.

What evidence do you have for your claim? You seem to have invented this whole line of reasoning out of thin air because you want to believe it. 

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

What evidence do you have for your claim? You seem to have invented this whole line of reasoning out of thin air because you want to believe it. 

Logic, it's called logic.

Unlike the blame every thing on the owner and let the GM and coach off the hook logic.

Unless we are sitting in all meetings no one knows right?

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

He hires the HCs and GMs. Those have been extremely poor since he’s been owner. So yeah, he’s not great lol. 

He just doesn’t know football and goes off of whatever people tell him. Like hiring Casserly to hire Maccagnan and Bowles. 

He needs wayyyyy better advisors. 

He has brilliant people advising. Hymi Ehlrai is a football guy with business sense. 

8 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

My theory:

Don’t blame Woody. 

Paul, no offense but I wish that I could give you a billion thumbs down.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

He was a US Ambassador.

He's been handed a brilliant life. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

He has brilliant people advising. Hymi Ehlrai is a football guy with business sense. 

I know you are trolling here,  but at least troll with a little intelligence. Ehlrai is a lawyer and counsel. As Parcells would say, he doesn’t know if the football is stuffed with feathers.