Is Patrick Mahomes really better than Aaron?

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Rodgers never got the “can’t win the big one” moniker because he won the Super Bowl in his 2nd year as a starter but the guy has lost the NFC Title Game four times, has lost at home as the MVP and #1 seed three times, and despite not having another championship winning rival in the conference during most of his tenure on top, only made it to one Super Bowl.

We evaluate our best athletes on post season success. Mahomes is in a different category than Rodgers, TBH. Mahomes is with Brady and Montana. Rodgers is with Peyton and Marino.

Agreed that Mahomes is in the Brady/Montana category.  Rodgers, while one of the great talents in the history of the league, is not.  Maybe ranking Rodgers with Peyton and Marino is fair.  It's hard to say.   But with all that talent, he has "only" 1 SB win and 2 appearances.  While that's still an amazing accomplishment, it certainly doesn't compare with the "Big 3".  Mahomes' win last night really pushed him into the stratosphere as far as legendary QBs.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Mahomes obviously has the rings, but clearly Mahomes has a big advantage being paired with Reid compared to Mike McCarthy. 

I still think I take Aaron over Mahomes. I don’t think KC wants any part of Aaron and the Jets next year. 

Are you smoking the drugs, sir?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Mahomes obviously has the rings, but clearly Mahomes has a big advantage being paired with Reid compared to Mike McCarthy. 

I still think I take Aaron over Mahomes. I don’t think KC wants any part of Aaron and the Jets next year. 

mahomes might very well be the best qb to ever play

2 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Everybody have been laughing about this, but I think he is right.  If Andy Reid is coming to pair with Rodgers.

I've seen a lot of threads started here. I want the OP to leave the site and go out into the world and examine his life. Truly go out and look at everything, take things in. Try and take some deep recuperative breaths, think about what he did, and then never come back here again. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Look at Andy Reid’s track record with QBs. Hes had success with literally everyone he’s worked with. 

You don't say.  Do you think he could have success with Rodgers?  Do you think that rather than just succeeding with any QB, he might have a talent for judging which might be successful?  I mean when he took over in KC he didn't just roll with Brady Quinn or Matt Cassel.  He traded for Alex Smith and shortly thereafter he drafted Mahomes.  He went to BYU.  Do you think he will trade for Zach?  I have read that he is basically just a blonde Patrick Mahomes.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't say.  Do you think he could have success with Rodgers?  Do you think that rather than just succeeding with any QB, he might have a talent for judging which might be successful?  I mean when he took over in KC he didn't just roll with Brady Quinn or Matt Cassel.  He traded for Alex Smith and shortly thereafter he drafted Mahomes.  He went to BYU.  Do you think he will trade for Zach?  I have read that he is basically just a blonde Patrick Mahomes.

He got AJ Feely to play so well the Dolphins traded a 2nd for him and signed him to a big contract. He revitalized the careers of Alex Smith and Michael Vick and got them to play the best ball of their career far past their prime. He developed Donovan McNabb into a franchise QB and borderline MVP candidate. 

Im not taking away anything from Mahomes. Reid is just a great QB coach and he went to the perfect situation. I feel like Rodgers was more of a self made man. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

He got AJ Feely to play so well the Dolphins traded a 2nd for him and signed him to a big contract. He revitalized the careers of Alex Smith and Michael Vick and got them to play the best ball of their career far past their prime. He developed Donovan McNabb into a franchise QB and borderline MVP candidate. 

Im not taking away anything from Mahomes. Reid is just a great QB coach and he went to the perfect situation. I feel like Rodgers was more of a self made man. 

This is a fair statement.  

A few more points:

Anyone think Maholmes becomes the guy he is today if the Todd Bowles Jets had drafted him? No way. Maholmes was a bit of a project coming out, his temmates thought he looked ehh as a training camp rook and needed some serious schooling, like Josh Allen did in Buffalo. Josh Allen isnt the guy he is today if the Jets had draftded him either, IMO. Ditto Lamar. These guys have to be in the right schemes to succeed, especially Josh Allen and Lamar. 

Both the Chiefs, Ravens and Bills had a PLAN OF DEVELOPMENT for their young QB. Good job by Maholmes, Lamar and Allen to figure it out but they had a real support system. 

Rodgers, IMO, could have gone anywhere and his stuff would have shown. His ability as a pure pocket passer to read the defenses and make all the throws allows him to be successfull anywhere, regardless of scheme. But even Aaron got to sit for 3 or 4 yrs behind a HOF QB.

Also, a decent chunk of Maholmes career so far and his amazing plays that he makes are contingent on him being slippery as all hell via his quickness to evade rushers/mobility. What will he look like at age 34? Time will tell. Will he stay in the pocket and win from there or will he go the route of Russell Wilson and have his game fall off a cliff once his ability to escape stops. Same concern holds for Josh Allen and Lamar to a greater extent. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Brady, Montana, Marino, Maholmes.

And if you think Marino wasn't better ... You must be very very young.

lol. marino was really good. but he choked in his only superbowl appearance and he only won 1 conference championship. i'm not someone who thinks its the number of rings that matters but you have to have at least 1 freaking championship to even be in the conversation. 

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Elway

Elllwway?  he didn't win until he had a running game and i think he had better receivers than mahomes after tyreek left.  Mahomes is an absolute magician with the football.  As for where rodgers should be, i think we can only compare a pre 30 year old rodgers with a pre 30 year old mahomes and see how they stack up.

8 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

Rest In Peace Italy GIF by Storyful

14 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Not arguing that.

I am talking about him being risk adverse when talking Mahomes vs Rodgers.  QB Ability?  Rodgers.  Killer instinct?  Mahomes.

Regarding your point, is it uncoachable or arrogant?  I would lean more towards arrogant.  McCarthy is a good, but hardly seems brilliant.  LaFleur is barely older than A-A-Ron.  I would think A-A-Ron is "WTF do these guys know?".  Hackett is someone he can manipulate.

Lefluer out coached Shanahan and Mcarthy in this years playoffs.  He is far better than McCarthy.  Rodgers won two MVPs with Lefluer calling the plays.  Rodgers was a whiny bitch and probably undermined a real shot for a second SB by tearing apart the front office and undermining Lefluer in front of the team.

Green Bay is one of the best run and coached teams in the NFL.  They wanted Rodgers gone.  Regardless if he is simply a self absorbed prick or un-coachable, one of the best teams with one of the 5 best HC in the league thought he was more of a distraction to winning than his declining talent was worth.

Not to say that’s a problem with the Jets.  The Jets don’t have good coaching on O or any viable talent at QB potential or otherwise.  Rodgers is simply here to sell tickets and save the jobs of Saleh and JD.  

Mahomes is a more talented player at the position.  He’s a team player. He’s coachable and he’s mentally tough.  Rodgers isn’t in his class and hasn’t been for a long time.  Mahomes at 28 has accomplished way more than Rodgers at 39.   Rodgers is a player in hard decline who while a great player underachieved his talent in a team sport.  It’s like comparing Dominick Wilkins to Michael Jordan.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Lefluer out coached Shanahan and Mcarthy in this years playoffs.  He is far better than McCarthy.  Rodgers won two MVPs with Lefluer calling the plays.  Rodgers was a whiny bitch and probably undermined a real shot for a second SB by tearing apart the front office and undermining Lefluer in front of the team.

Green Bay is one of the best run and coached teams in the NFL.  They wanted Rodgers gone.  Regardless if he is simply a self absorbed prick or un-coachable, one of the best teams with one of the 5 best HC in the league thought he was more of a distraction to winning than his declining talent was worth.

Not to say that’s a problem with the Jets.  The Jets don’t have good coaching on O or any viable talent at QB potential or otherwise.  Rodgers is simply here to sell tickets and save the jobs of Saleh and JD.  

Mahomes is a more talented player at the position.  He’s a team player. He’s coachable and he’s mentally tough.  Rodgers isn’t in his class and hasn’t been for a long time.  Mahomes at 28 has accomplished way more than Rodgers at 39.   Rodgers is a player in hard decline who while a great player underachieved his talent in a team sport.  It’s like comparing Dominick Wilkins to Michael Jordan.

Woah, that’s good Biggs. Dayum!!

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is an underachiever career wise re winning and is not even remotely in mahomes league for being a big game QB.

It's not close.  I'd take Mahomes over Rodgers at any and every stage of their career.

Good points. Especially the big game QB stuff. 

I’d be curious to see how each QB in his prime would’ve performed if their situations were swapped. Rodgers in his prime in a pass-friendly league, throwing to Kelce and for several years Tyreek Hill, with Reid as his HOF offensive mastermind play caller.

Mahomes with GB’s great receivers, various excellent play callers, in a less pass friendly league for the first half of his prime like Rodgers experienced.

I’d still take Mahomes over Rodgers. But maybe the latter could’ve won more had he been in Mahomes’ situation. 

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:
  • Tom Brady / Joe Montana / Patrick Mahomes / Johnny Unitas - TOP ELITE / MOUNT RUSHMORE OF QBs
  • Peyton Manning / Terry Bradshaw / John Elway / Roger Staubach / Dan Marino - SECOND LEVEL
  • Aaron Rodgers / Drew Brees / Brett Favre / Steve Young / Troy Aikman / Bart Starr / Otto Graham - THIRD LEVEL
  • Joe Namath / Fran Tarketon / Jim Kelly / Dan Fouts / Kurt Warner / Ben Roethlisberger - FOURTH LEVEL

Starr and Graham belong in the elite level.  They were the elite of their time.  Starr playoff stats, playing in the era of no protection for either the QB or the WR and with OL men not allowed to extend their arms is as good as any of today's QB's and absolutely blows away his contemporaries statistically.  Starr's QBR of 104.8 in playoff games is actually higher than Brady's in an era when a 60 QBR was the norm.

eli had extreme luck on his side.. close int on sidelines, helmet catch by an inch .. however the frozen game was one of the best QB played games (for the conditions) i have ever seen..  Coughlin's purple face still haunts me to this day

The last time Aaron Rodgers had a Top 10 defense, he won the Super Bowl.

If the Jets once again field a Top 5 unit, Rodgers stays healthy and they can solidify the OL while adding a complement to Garrett, don’t act like it’s batsh*t insane to think they can compete.

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Starr and Graham belong in the elite level.  They were the elite of their time.  Starr playoff stats, playing in the era of no protection for either the QB or the WR and with OL men not allowed to extend their arms is as good as any of today's QB's and absolutely blows away his contemporaries statistically.  Starr's QBR of 104.8 in playoff games is actually higher than Brady's in an era when a 60 QBR was the norm.

I was considering that and you know you are probably right. They should not be victim of era etc. Graham especially with such a dual threat and truly one of the best football players regardless of position. So yes, they should be elite, you have sold me sir.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The last time Aaron Rodgers had a Top 10 defense, he won the Super Bowl.

If the Jets once again field a Top 5 unit, Rodgers stays healthy and they can solidify the OL while adding a complement to Garrett, don’t act like it’s batsh*t insane to think they can compete.

With a great offseason I think that we can certainly compete. I just don't see Super Bowl when we have the Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals (with a healthy Burrow), Bills, Chargers in our conference. Then you throw in the next tier of Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Texans, Colts and it's going to be a battle for a wild card spot.