*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What do we think Douglas will give Bakhtiari? I’m gonna guess 3/$50mm with $27mm guaranteed. 

4 Years (2 voidable) for 65 Mil.... 40 Guaranteed.. Hahaha

In reality something like a 20 Million 2 year deal which is really 1 just to spread the money out.

5 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Ridley is the only one that wouldn’t completely surprise me.  Teams seem to be more leery of giving him the bag this off-season than originally expected and he has more fans here than anywhere else.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Ridley is the only one that wouldn’t completely surprise me.  Teams seem to be more leery of giving him the bag this off-season than originally expected and he has more fans here than anywhere else.

Basement Franchise Forever

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Would the jets be able to pay him, given they still must be looking to add more OL? 

Just now, Skeptable said:

Basement Franchise Forever

I’m probably in the minority here, but I have always liked Ridley.  If they can get him at a reasonable price, I think him and Wilson would be a dangerous duo.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Would the jets be able to pay him, given they still must be looking to add more OL? 

Not sure.  I don’t really know what the interest in him looks like outside of us.  I think there could be some money freeing moves on the way too.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it happens but I’m just saying that we are still monitoring the situation and may jump in if it doesn’t look like he’s going to get the massive payday he thought he was going to get.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m probably in the minority here, but I have always liked Ridley.  If they can get him at a reasonable price, I think him and Wilson would be a dangerous duo.

I would rather pay Ridley and come away with an above average WR duo instead of 2 more mediocre OL

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Sunk cost of a lost season.... bad optics but once 8 went down it was over... so why spend... Sure as a fan you feel different... but in reality they would be even more strapped for cash since whatever money they spent would not have gotten rolled over to this year... So yeah its a bad theory...

Cool. Now do why we held onto huff instead of trading him if they weren’t going for it last year. 

39 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I love ridley... I was talking more about the fact you stated that they are not getting any better players.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Cool. Now do why we held onto huff instead of trading him if they weren’t going for it last year. 

I can't explain those idiotic moves... cutting cook rather than trading him... and most of the inseason management insane...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He’s underrated.

Jags weren’t using him the right way.

He played too much X receiver and ran too many routes along the boundary.

He’d be the ideal WR2 on a 1 to 2 year deal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We were also heavily in on Jonah Jackson, who used our offer to get more out of Rams.  Team thought they had him locked up.

No one wants to play here.

Turns out Aaron Rodgers doesn’t mean much when you can get the same money, if not more, with a competent organization.

The silver lining?  The Jets viewed this as, like, option D.

The bad news?  They missed out on options A, B, and C, so they had to settle for option D.

They tried.

“No one wants to play here” is not an opinion.  It’s what the front office is being told.  We’re not an attractive destination.

That was one of the plans.  Not Morse specifically, but signing a C and kicking Tippman out to G.  They missed on the Cs they wanted.

Tyler Biadasz.

That is the gist of what I’ve heard.  We’ve basically been told all off-season (because these discussions happen well before the tampering period) “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Joe Douglas doesn’t budge much from his prices and, when he does, it’s never enough to prevent the player from going back to the other teams and saying “Hey, this is what the Jets are offering.  Can you match it?”

That is exactly what happens with Jonah Jackson.

While hardly shocking, this is still ****ing depressing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Who had Javon Kinlaw, Tyrod Taylor and John Simpson on their Bingo card? If you did, you had meager expectations. 
Hopefully Simpson works out here (I think he will) Taylor doesn’t have to play other than mop up duty (good backup, but fragile) and Kinlaw doesn’t poison the locker room.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed.

Look.  Bakhtiari jokes are fun, and I still wouldn’t do the move if I were it were my ass on the line, but he’s probably going to be the last “big” OL signing for us if my gut and what I was told a few weeks ago is true.  Maybe it’s the last bit of hope I have, but it’s hard not to be at least a little intrigued by the idea.  It’s a huge question mark that should have a contingency plan, but if the guy’s knee really is fixed properly, then you are getting a player who was, arguably, the best LT in football for 1 or 2 years, allowing you to draft a RT which is, typically, the T position that is easier to play when jumping from college to the pros.  If someone with flexibility to play both T spots drops, that’s even better because you can groom him to take over for Bahktiari.

Get that deal over with, push the rest of the money towards a WR, and be done with it until the draft.

Should only be viewed as a lottery ticket. Still need to draft a legit LT prospect 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t hate the player.  In fact I like the player. His biggest  problem is that he is injury prone.  It’s the whole reason he is a back-up.  Terrible fit.

It really shifts the 2nd string QB as a top 5 Jets need to 3rd string QB as a top 5 Jets need.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That is the gist of what I’ve heard.  We’ve basically been told all off-season (because these discussions happen well before the tampering period) “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Joe Douglas doesn’t budge much from his prices and, when he does, it’s never enough to prevent the player from going back to the other teams and saying “Hey, this is what the Jets are offering.  Can you match it?”

That is exactly what happens with Jonah Jackson.

The Jets were not going anywhere near what Carolina gave Lewis

This is the organization’s reality, and has been (at least) since Parcells left. Tannenbaum was happy to overpay. The result was a team that got close, but had no depth largely because of the expense of his starters. He was the anti-JD, trading away picks for expensive veterans, creating an unsustainable roster situation. Maccagnan was also happy to overpay, and that’s how we got Mosley - who, despite @Sperm Edwards’s wrath, has at least played hard and with heart here. Because usually when the team lands a player only for the money we wind up with Trumaine Johnson. 

It’s frustrating, but I prefer he stick to his guns rather than grossly overpaying for players. This is not an attractive destination, but I still want players who want to be here for more than just a paycheck. That’s why I also approve of spending more on younger guys with upside, because at least those guys are playing for yet another contract. Being the NFLPA’s ATM isn’t going to take the clown shoes off of this organization, only some winning can do that. The execution has been shaky, but he’s right to try to build thru the draft. That’s his only real shot at truly great players like Garrett Wilson, Breece, Sauce, etc. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the organization’s reality, and has been (at least) since Parcells left. Tannenbaum was happy to overpay. The result was a team that got close, but had no depth largely because of the expense of his starters. He was the anti-JD, trading away picks for expensive veterans, creating an unsustainable roster situation. Maccagnan was also happy to overpay, and that’s how we got Mosley - who, despite @Sperm Edwards’s wrath, has at least played hard and with heart here. Because usually when the team lands a player only for the money we wind up with Trumaine Johnson. 

It’s frustrating, but I prefer he stick to his guns rather than grossly overpaying for players. This is not an attractive destination, but I still want players who want to be here for more than just a paycheck. That’s why I also approve of spending more on younger guys with upside, because at least those guys are playing for yet another contract. Being the NFLPA’s ATM isn’t going to take the clown shoes off of this organization, only some winning can do that. The execution has been shaky, but he’s right to try to build thru the draft. That’s his only real shot at truly great players like Garrett Wilson, Breece, Sauce, etc. 

When you have an owner w

ho literally runs the show, you have no shot. If it’s not obvious after last year, I don’t know what to  say.

When you have an owner w
ho literally runs the show, you have no shot. If it’s not obvious after last year, I don’t know what to  say.
Woody pretends not to meddle ... and he probably stays away most of the time until the really important decisions come along

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Who had Javon Kinlaw, Tyrod Taylor and John Simpson on their Bingo card? If you did, you had meager expectations. 
Hopefully Simpson works out here (I think he will) Taylor doesn’t have to play other than mop up duty (good backup, but fragile) and Kinlaw doesn’t poison the locker room.

Last thing I remember about kinlaw is his cringe beef with 9ers beat Writer Grant Colon. Kinlaw is one of those fake tough guys who can’t stand criticism, he’s going to love it here

• Upvote 1