Clowney to Panthers

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

If we want a veteran pass-rusher for depth, just sign Yannick Ngakoue.

He can still get after the QB, is just 29 this year, and should come cheaper than Clowney.

Agreed. I would like this. Hell, there's a couple other guys like Kyle Van Noy or Jerry Hughes that are probably out there for bargains. With the edge group looking a bit inexperienced behind JFM, I think bringing in 1 veteran is warranted, even if the plan is to draft 1 more guy. A cheaper vet can be cut easily if we need the roster spot, but it seems apparent JD/Saleh want 1 more body.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any remaining free agents will bring a major pass rush presence, but with McDonald on roster I'm actually more worried about run support (esp. Given we didn't do well there last year)

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok well what can you 

Guy is a mercenary and/or wanted to be closer to home 

Or maybe just hates Woody Johnson’s aura

Whatever the case, the guy isn’t interested in contending for championships 

He's just a clown, more power to him!.

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

I think Will McD will be fine but it's his 4th round pick from 2022 that better make significant strides. 

Or revert back to his rookie form where he was a stud stopping the run (data backs it up) and had 2.5 sacks to boot.

Clowney always seemed to me like an over investment …. or (worse) some admission / real concern that 3rd year Clemons is garbage and/or 2nd year McDonald is not ready to pick up major minutes.

I mean does anyone else not see the gaping hole at slot, third safety, swing OT and to a lesser extent reserve guard considering AVT’s real injury history.

Paying $10M for another Edge, starter’s money?  Did JD really believe he would come here as a backup on a cheap deal after the season he had last year.  No, JD was bringing him in to start.  

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Or revert back to his rookie form where he was a stud stopping the run (data backs it up) and had 2.5 sacks to boot.

Clowney always seemed to me like an over investment …. or (worse) some admission / real concern that 3rd year Clemons is garbage and/or 2nd year McDonald is not ready to pick up major minutes.

I mean does anyone else not see the gaping hole at slot, third safety, swing OT and to a lesser extent reserve guard considering AVT’s real injury history.

Paying $10M for another Edge, starter’s money?  

Clowney has never been a consistent player.  Not gonna cry about this but I will cry about huff

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Clowney has never been a consistent player.  Not gonna cry about this but I will cry about huff

When has Huff been a consistent player?

His season high for sacks prior to last year was 3.5

The Jets tried him as a starting DE two years ago and he largely sucked and then got hurt.

He’s not John Abraham.

I’ve said it before, but he’s very comparable to a guy like Yannick Ngakoue. That guy has averaged 8-9 sacks a year since he came into the league yet he’s set to sign with his 7th team and he’s just about to turn 29.

It’s because he sucks ass against the run and is only effective when he’s asked to pin his ears back and get after the QB.

That’s great in obvious 3rd and long situations. But it sucks when he’s getting his sh*t pushed in 12 yards past the LoS on a running play that goes for 30+ off the right side on 1st or 2nd down.

3 hours ago, Alworth said:

I could have been very good with the kind of two year deal described above because I always like to control players without much exposure. But if not offering it means getting back Ashtyn and overall pushing less money to 2025 by way of restructures that's okay too. Wow!! I'm in a mellow mood. I guess this old guy's Dulcolax worked well today

i really like Ashtyn. dont know whats taking so long. i would have thought JD would have done it by now.

I like our edge group, tbh.  The idea of signing Clowney was always nice in a "why not, add as many good players as you can", but perhaps this lets us instead bring back Davis and a depth tackle.  Look to take a depth edge later in the draft.  Even the 4th could have some decent options.  

...but yeah, JJ should continue to progress and is a pretty damn good all-around edge already.  JFM is pretty safe to give you reliable run D at the very least.  Hopefully we turn McDonald loose because he is such an exciting prospect, and I'm pretty sure we will.  The rest comes down to Clemons, and whether or not he can be a solid run-stuffing DE.  I think he can, but this is a big year to prove it.  Adding some insurance behind him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world - just not in the 1st, please.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, extmenace said:

That’s more than this team should pay. Was hoping we’d get him, but that contract is tough to match.

The Panthers are absolute Idiots and Clowney has shown this is 100% about the money and nothing else, Good for him. Remind me who is playing QB for what will amount to a 4 win team If they are lucky ?

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Panthers are absolute Idiots and Clowney has shown this is 100% about the money and nothing else, Good for him. Remind me who is playing QB for what will amount to a 4 win team If they are lucky ?

Makes no sense for the Panthers.

This is either a bad GM in desperation mode to save his job or this was done at the behest of a mad owner.

• Upvote 1

I always worry when we bring in older vets who've had decent careers in other places. Too many times they take the year off. They take the year off from insane work outs and other crap they need to stay sharp. They aren't all that invested in a new team. 

It's just human nature to let off the gas a bit, cash the checks from some desperate team, and call it a career.

Lawson took a huge payday to come here and either be injured or get shut out. 

Corey Davis took a huge payday to come here and drop critical passes.

Lakin Thomlison took a huge pay day to come here and suck.

Lazard took a page out of Corey's handbook.

Bell took a huge pay day to come in here and play an entire year out of shape.

Forget the dudes name, that DB that took millions from McCagnan to come here and suck.

Those are just off the top of my head, so when Joe D won't overpay on yet another older vet, I'm ok with that.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I always worry when we bring in older vets who've had decent careers in other places. Too many times they take the year off. They take the year off from insane work outs and other crap they need to stay sharp. They aren't all that invested in a new team. 

It's just human nature to let off the gas a bit, cash the checks from some desperate team, and call it a career.

Lawson took a huge payday to come here and either be injured or get shut out. 

Corey Davis took a huge payday to come here and drop critical passes.

Lakin Thomlison took a huge pay day to come here and suck.

Lazard took a page out of Corey's handbook.

Bell took a huge pay day to come in here and play an entire year out of shape.

Forget the dudes name, that DB that took millions from McCagnan to come here and suck.

Those are just off the top of my head, so when Joe D won't overpay on yet another older vet, I'm ok with that.

Trumaine Johnson

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Clowney has been playing for a while. He never really got that mega deal. He’s been bouncing around for years. Hes made good money but this is probably his last sizable contract. Mind you, he had to settle for a 2.5 mill deal with the ravens with some added incentives last year. If his only options were the jets and panthers at the money he was looking for, might as well take the bigger contract and pay less taxes. Can’t really blame him, he’s not really at the age where he’s trying to set himself up for a big deal. This is the deal. If it wasn’t about the money, he’d have made it work in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

If, the Jets fans, on this board was offered 24 million into their bank account or a Jets Superbowl.. I wonder how many would take the Superbowl. Yet, the guy who has no attachment to the Jets is vilified for taking the money.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean we have JJ, WMD, JFM, and Clemons. It’s a nice group but adding one more guy would be a good way to round it out.

Wouldnt Quinnen count as one more guy?

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

He is better than ZW. 

Bryce Young 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

When has Huff been a consistent player?

His season high for sacks prior to last year was 3.5

The Jets tried him as a starting DE two years ago and he largely sucked and then got hurt.

While I myself have been in the "I care about production more than advanced stats" crowd for some time, there's an argument here.

On a per snap basis, Huff was one of the most efficient at pressing the QB in the NFL in his 2nd, third and fourth seasons. While year 3 may have only yielded 3.5 sacks, Huff consistently forced QBs to throw early and opened up sacks and defensible passes for other players. We are missing something significant only using guys like JJ that are more of "coverage sack" guys, who don't often force QBs to work quickly.

Saying Huff isn't consistent is unfair, he consistently gets to QBs. Saying he is 1 dimensional, is pretty fair. But still, not sure exactly how the Jets will replace this underrated quality in the DL. Ngakoue may actually be perfect! To replace Huff he'd simply need to play ~30% or so of snaps (assuming McDonald takes more), mainly on 2nd and 3rd down to generate pressure. Let's hope the Jets can make that happen for cheap.

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

Clowney has been playing for a while. He never really got that mega deal. He’s been bouncing around for years. Hes made good money but this is probably his last sizable contract. Mind you, he had to settle for a 2.5 mill deal with the ravens with some added incentives last year. If his only options were the jets and panthers at the money he was looking for, might as well take the bigger contract and pay less taxes. Can’t really blame him, he’s not really at the age where he’s trying to set himself up for a big deal. This is the deal. If it wasn’t about the money, he’d have made it work in Baltimore. 

Im not blaming him at all Im calling the Panthers Idiots .

30 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

He is better than ZW. 

Bryce Young 

So if he's better than Zach Wilson, which lets be honest, EVERYONE is better than Zach Wilson he still sucks as does that entire team. Why on earth pay Clowney that kind of money to coast on a 2-4 win team ?? What exactly was the point of that ?

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

So if he's better than Zach Wilson, which lets be honest, EVERYONE is better than Zach Wilson he still sucks as does that entire team. Why on earth pay Clowney that kind of money to coast on a 2-4 win team ?? What exactly was the point of that ?

The fans, you have to at least give the illusion of trying to Win. Unlike the Jets last season after Rogers got hurt.

16 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

To win with Defense, also lost Burns.  

• Thumb Down 1