Clowney to Panthers

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Once the Panthers offered a second year, he was out of reach for one-year-deal Joe.

Decent money for Clowney - about three times what he earned from the Ravens.

Can’t really offer longer deals, he’s basically on a one year prove it deal himself.

13 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I understand the money side of it but I still can't fathom how someone would want to go play for that team right now. What a horrible roster and situation there 

He’s from the area. Went to school there. This is his retirement contract 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I understand the money side of it but I still can't fathom how someone would want to go play for that team right now. What a horrible roster and situation there 

Clowey is the ultimate merecenary for money.  As are many players to be honest.

• Upvote 4

I thought we had an abundance of pass rushers? This is what I heard constantly throughout the off season and even during the season last year. Now we are in need of a pass rusher? 

I heard this about the receivers last year too. All I heard about was how we had Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Corey Davis. And by week 5, we all were dying for any form of help. 

You don’t let pass rushers walk for nothing. That’s the moral of the story. Games are won in the trenches both offensively and defensively. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I thought we had an abundance of pass rushers? This is what I heard constantly throughout the off season and even during the season last year. Now we are in need of a pass rusher? 

I heard this about the receivers last year too. All I heard about was how we had Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Corey Davis. And by week 5, we all were dying for any form of help. 

You don’t let pass rushers walk for nothing. That’s the moral of the story. Games are won in the trenches both offensively and defensively. 

Huff didn’t want to play in this defense because of the rotation 

this isn’t difficult to understand 

well,

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I mean we have JJ, WMD, JFM, and Clemons. It’s a nice group but adding one more guy would be a good way to round it out.

59 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

$$$ talks.

So glad we did not pay that. It's bad enough what we paid for cool last year to waste him

Same would have happened to clowney here

Unless the 2nd year is guaranteed, which seems unlikely, it's to the team's advantage - not the player's - that a 2nd year is tacked on. 

IOW if it's $10MM guaranteed in y1 and another $10MM non-guaranteed in y2, that's a better deal for the team than just 1 year $10MM. 

Maybe $10MM in y1 and $2MM in y2 is guaranteed, making the pay (in effect) 1st year at $12MM (guaranteed) and $8MM in y2 (not guaranteed). 

So absent that info it's impossible to know if this is "more" than 1 yr $10MM which I think was a common or rumored estimate when he was visiting with the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I am so fine with this.  The Jets spent a lot of capital on their Edge rotation and there is plenty to like post Huff.

JJ (1st round pick) 2023 Pro-Bowler who is on the rise.  Can play the run & the pass.

JFM (big contract):  Underappreciated in these parts even though he is likely overpaid.  Jetsxfactor has a lot of stats showing him as solid setting the edge, above average pass rusher from the edge, and a very good pass rusher from the inside.  Can play the run & the pass.

Will McDonald (1st round pick):  Came on at the end of the year collecting 3.5 sacks and drastically improving his pass rush win rate.  Good bet he'll improve as a pass rusher in 2024.   Jury is out versus the run.

Micheal Clemons (4th round pick):  Was very strong against the run his rookie year before gaining weight and sliding inside part time.  Let's get him back to that form.  Upside as a solid run defender with limited juice as a pass rusher.

Can try to add some depth middle or end of draft.

Perfect world without a cap, would have loved to have Clowney.  In the real world, take the savings and re-sign Ashtyn and allocate rest to our needs post draft (e.g., swing tackle, slot WR, whatever they might be).

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Clowey is the ultimate merecenary for money.  As are many players to be honest.

No I get it, just crazy to me. It's funny because these are also the same guys that will then complain about their situation in the future and claim they are victim to a sh*tty situation and team that can't win games

• Upvote 1

He grew up an hour southwest of Charlotte - in Rock Hill, SC (which is also where the Panthers have done their training camps some years) so that of course had to be a factor along with the $$$ for Clowney.

Hell, His college ball team, U of South Carolina in Columbia, is less than 2 hours from Charlotte as well.  So tons of his friends and family will get to see him play for the hometown team.

Not a bad deal for a year or 2 and then he can maybe extend his career somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless the 2nd year is guaranteed, which seems unlikely, it's to the team's advantage - not the player's - that a 2nd year is tacked on. 

IOW if it's $10MM guaranteed in y1 and another $10MM non-guaranteed in y2, that's a better deal for the team than just 1 year $10MM. 

Maybe $10MM in y1 and $2MM in y2 is guaranteed, making the pay (in effect) 1st year at $12MM (guaranteed) and $8MM in y2 (not guaranteed). 

So absent that info it's impossible to know if this is "more" than 1 yr $10MM which I think was a common or rumored estimate when he was visiting with the Jets.

I could have been very good with the kind of two year deal described above because I always like to control players without much exposure. But if not offering it means getting back Ashtyn and overall pushing less money to 2025 by way of restructures that's okay too. Wow!! I'm in a mellow mood. I guess this old guy's Dulcolax worked well today

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Alworth said:

I could have been very good with the kind of two year deal described above because I always like to control players without much exposure. But if not offering it means getting back Ashtyn and overall pushing less money to 2025 by way of restructures that's okay too. Wow!! I'm in a mellow mood. I guess this old guy's Dulcolax worked well today

He liked the open roads down there better. For driving around in his Clowney car. 

I've been working on this joke for 2 weeks.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, faba said:

Joe D your first round pick from last year better make significant strides this year

I think Will McD will be fine but it's his 4th round pick from 2022 that better make significant strides. 

• Upvote 1