Which OL likely to be there at 10 would you want?

Which of these three OL would you most want at 10?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three OL would you most want at 10?

We all have our preferences. Some love Bowers, some love Odunze, some want to trade up, some want to trade down, etc.

But let's say we stick at 10, the top three WRs are gone, Alt and Latham are gone and we're choosing the best OL available -- which increasingly I think is the most likely scenario.

Which would you want between Olu Fashanu (Penn State), Troy Fautanu (Washington) or Talise Fuaga (Oregon State)?

• Upvote 2

I'm playing the long game here. Fashanu is a  better LT prospect than Fuaga, but Fuaga has obvious RT Pro Bowl potential, maybe better and he''ll get his chances this year in several possible capacities.  One of them is intriguing. Lining up as a sixth OL in short yardage. I don't want him to spend any time being groomed at LT. We'll get a back up for Smith at some point in post draft free agency. That's not a perfect LT resolution but I don't see another path (unless Carter Warren surprises).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I disagree.

Fuaga looks like a flawed prospect in pass protection, not close to traits or tape of Fashanu.

I don't care so much about the run game.

So called "maulers" and "road graders" and "guys who play with an edge" are a lot easier to find than legit natural pass protectors.

I mean look at John Simpson who the Jets just signed.  You can find those guys in FA and in the trade market.

Are we even sure Fuaga can play RT at the next level?  Stylistically, he looks more suited to OG play.

IMO Fashanu is not only the superior player to Fuaga but plays the more valuable position, so it's a slam dunk.

I've not seen much wrong with Fuaga's pass protection, though. He's very strong in the running game, but his pass pro is good too. I think he's absolutely a tackle in the NFL - potentially an elite RT, and maybe even a good LT if he gets the chance to play there.

Fashanu and Fautanu do have the LT pedigree, but I like Fuaga more. I see very few holes in his game.

I get the whole LT over RT/G prospect, but I am getting tired of these light in the ass technicians with "good feet."  Give me a mauler.  Guys that are hammering people hammer people, when I read about some of these LT prospects I feel like the scouting report should just say "Pussy."  Based on this, my very uneducated, didn't watch much more than a bunch of highlight films and read some blurbs ass says go with Fuaga. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I've not seen much wrong with Fuaga's pass protection, though. He's very strong in the running game, but his pass pro is good too. I think he's absolutely a tackle in the NFL - potentially an elite RT, and maybe even a good LT if he gets the chance to play there.

Fashanu and Fautanu do have the LT pedigree, but I like Fuaga more. I see very few holes in his game.

I wrote what I wrote in the other thread, the fanpost.

Don't want to rehash. 

But here's another voice. 

Actually saw these today (after writing my article), but it's a neat coincidence...

Brandon Thorn, who grinds as much OL tape as anyone, and who knows what he's talking about, has scouting breakdowns on both players.

He has Fuaga with a 2nd round grade, and listed as his iOL4, which backs up what I was saying about Fuaga looking more suited to Guard play.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10095704-taliese-fuaga-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-oregon-state-iol

He has Fashanu as OT2 in this class.  His pro comp for Fashanu is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, which is what I was trying to get at with that article.  If you can lock down a franchise LT at #10, you do it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089320-olumuyiwa-fashanu-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-penn-state-ot

• Upvote 1

Grand slam home run for me is trade down and get Fauntanu around 14-16 because his versatility helps this year and then he finds a home next year 

if they stick at 10 I like Fashanu because he’s such a great pass blocker. 10 year starter at LT

I would be very happy with Fuaga too  

Latham is a dark horse for me, I would be happy with him too  

• Upvote 2

I'd say Fuaga. To me, he is right behind Alt as an OL prospect. 

The one argument that is a little problematic to me is taking Fautanu over Fuaga because of Fautanu's versatility for this season. Personally, I would rather take the OL I have graded higher for the long term over one who offers more versatility because of injury concerns for this season.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Grand slam home run for me is trade down and get Fauntanu around 14-16 because his versatility helps this year and then he finds a home next year 

if they stick at 10 I like Fashanu because he’s such a great pass blocker. 10 year starter at LT

I would be very happy with Fuaga too  

Latham is a dark horse for me, I would be happy with him too  

Fashanu does give you that pass set consistency on the left side for the long haul. It would be very, very nice to have, like when the Jets had D'Brick. You don't even have to think about LT for a decade or more.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

Talise Fuaga, I believe he is the best OL in the draft. Yes, better than Alt.

I don't agree here. Alt clearly the best football player in the draft. He is already an adult and a professional.  Plug and play.  A+ pass blocking, A+ run blocking and A+ intangibles/character/teammate/locker room guy.  Highly technical and polished already.  I'm sure every GM agrees.  That is why he'll be the first OT drafted. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I don't agree here. Alt clearly the best football player in the draft. He is already an adult and a professional.  Plug and play.  A+ pass blocking, A+ run blocking and A+ intangibles/character/teammate/locker room guy.  Highly technical and polished already.  I'm sure every GM agrees.  That is why he'll be the first OT drafted. 

He is not an A+ run Blocker, he gets too high. Solid pass blocker however.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

He is not an A+ run Blocker, he gets too high. Solid pass blocker however.

I watch every Notre Dame game.  His core is often high than the guys he's blocking, but the hole is made and the ball carrier hits it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I watch every Notre Dame game.  His core is often high than the guys he's blocking, but the hole is made and the ball carrier hits it. 

I think he is a good tackle, and I would love it if he was a Jet, I just happen to like Fuaga better.

to me, this is not the "typical Jets draft".  Jets are stacked this year.  As long as they do not take defense, QB or RB at 10, it's a win in my book.

My personal preference is they take Odunze at 10 (or trade up to 8 to get him).  But if they get a top tackle, or Bowers or trade down I'm ok.  just PLEASE no defense!!!  No QB!!  No RB!!!  

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

So, I am supposed to worry that Bowers won't be able to truck guys like he did in the SEC, but be fine with Alt being too high against Tennessee State and Central Michigan because "the hole is made and the ball carrier hits it?"

32 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I think he is a good tackle, and I would love it if he was a Jet, I just happen to like Fuaga better.

I dig.  I think Fuaga more of a RT mauler and Alt more of a LT technician.  Both have world class intangibles along with the physical qualifications and both are dependable and durable.  I'd be happy to have either one.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

IMO Alt is the rock solid "A" LT prospect in this draft. Safe, but still high upside. I just assume he's going to be a Titan and would be surprised if he was available at 10.

If he drops I'd run to the podium.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Claymation said:

Talise Fuaga, I believe he is the best OL in the draft. Yes, better than Alt.

He would be a very good "consolation prize" at #10.  The only guys I'd take ahead of him are any of the 3 WRs or Alt.  I prefer Alt to Latham.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I dig.  I think Fuaga more of a RT mauler and Alt more of a LT technician.  Both have world class intangibles along with the physical qualifications and both are dependable and durable.  I'd be happy to have either one.  

They say that you don't put a high value on OL flexibility when you're drafting a guy in the 1st round, that you just want a dominant guy at his position.  If he can also play another spot then great, but you don't take a guy who is a B+ at both OT and OG over a guy who is an A at OT.  That makes sense to me but if it turns out that Fuaga is the pick I think the Jets will really appreciate his OT/OG flexibility, even if it's mostly on the right side.  I think the Jets would then have two OGs (AVT and Fuaga) for 2024 who are also backing the LT and RT spots.  It's a good problem to have and the guy who may end up on the bench would be Simpson as this scenario lets AVT go back to his most natural Left Guard spot.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, I am supposed to worry that Bowers won't be able to truck guys like he did in the SEC, but be fine with Alt being too high against Tennessee State and Central Michigan because "the hole is made and the ball carrier hits it?"

I would not worry about Bowers or Alt what so ever for any reason.  My Big Board has not changed in the past six months.

1. Alt

2, MHJ

3. Bowers

Three best football players in the draft. 

Obviously, QB is the position that is most coveted, so the top QB prospects will go before my big three above, but I don't rate any of the QB's above those three. And, the only one I'd draft if I needed a QB is JJ.

Also want to add.  It seems like the smart play to take an OL guy at 10, but I see quality at the OL spot all the way into the third round.  Given that, if I was the GM, I'd stay at 10 and take Brock Bowers.

The OT's I like for a round three pick are ND Blake FIsher and Matt Goncalves from Pitt. BOTH of them have starting quality material.  They can sit and learn until Tyron goes down to injury.

I have to insist on Bowers unless something really odd happens at the top and Alt falls to 10. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They say that you don't put a high value on OL flexibility when you're drafting a guy in the 1st round, that you just want a dominant guy at his position.  If he can also play another spot then great, but you don't take a guy who is a B+ at both OT and OG over a guy who is an A at OT.  That makes sense to me but if it turns out that Fuaga is the pick I think the Jets will really appreciate his OT/OG flexibility, even if it's mostly on the right side.  I think the Jets would then have two OGs (AVT and Fuaga) for 2024 who are also backing the LT and RT spots.  It's a good problem to have and the guy who may end up on the bench would be Simpson as this scenario lets AVT go back to his most natural Left Guard spot.

absolutely.  flexibility is a tremendous plus.  look at AVT.  pro bowl quality G and quite probably pro bowl RT  if only he could stay on the field.  

• Upvote 1

This is a tough one but I think it's Fuaga for me. I don't think LT/RT is as much of an issue anymore (see: Wifs) and despite a HOF QB being a Jet, I think this offense will feature Breece Hall more than anybody. Plugging Fuaga into the lineup would not only improve the run game, it could launch it into another dimension - he is dominant.

Rumors are that the Eagles are bought into Fuaga. There are no better OL factories out there right now than Philly. That should tell you all you need to know...