Pick 171: Jets select FSU QB Jordan Travis

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I honestly have never seen a single post complaining about Douglas not drafting Day 3 QB projects

That’s because he typically takes them at 2 overall. As we all know has its own set  of problems, 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

One of the reasons the Jets have been abysmal for the last almost 15(?) years is their whimsical approach to the mid and late rounds. It’s not about the one 5th rounder, it’s the fact that this is generally how every Jets GM treats those rounds

I disagree with this premise, at least when it comes to Joe Douglas. 

JD’s big failures were his whiffs on his 1st and 2nd round picks in his first 2 drafts: Mekhi Becton, Denzel Mims, Zach Wilson, Elijah Moore (who has talent but is a malcontent) 

those are the picks that set the franchise back and that he deserved to be fired for. His mid/late round + UFDA work has been fine and I would guess no worse than league average over the course of his tenure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

their whimsical approach to the mid and late rounds

lmao this is such a good word for it. Douglas prancing around 1JD in a top hat and waistcoat singing “one running back? How about two-hoooooo running backs? Doo hoo hoo hoo!” like ******* Willie Wonka

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Many here love to complain regardless and I’ve been a jet fan long enough to justify complaining myself.  But the real issue lots of fans have with this draft stems from the fact we had no 2nd round pick.  So while many wanted a wr in round 1, it seems as if that wasn’t happening and with the state of the OTs it’s difficult to criticize picking a guy who’s compared to brick.  Most don’t have an issue with Corley but when douglas had 3 4th rounders and traded out 3x it ticked a lot of fans off, even though they probably had so many guys rated equally and didn’t want to burn those picks all in round 4.  

If the jets had a 2nd round pick and took Fashanu, Corley and then a cb or something in round 3, and then had the day 3 they had, there would be far less complaining.  The problem started when fans became invested in those 3 4th rounders and when they didn’t make those picks fans became incensed. 

Usually mid range trade backs happen when the board has a large chunk of players with the same grade.  I try not to fall in love with any player because the odds of the jets taking him are so low. Like what’s the point?   

I was zonked out on fentanyl / OxyContin during the draft so maybe that’s my advice to jets fans, scheduling surgery for the draft lol.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ehhhh

captain Morgan came from FIU

this guy was the leader of an undefeated FSU team like 5 months ago before he got hurt.

I’m not sure this comparison is even remotely reasonable  

He's just being obstinate and deliberately obtuse because the Jets finally did something we've been begging them to do for years and people actually like the move. He doesn't like when other people are happy.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

lmao this is such a good word for it. Douglas prancing around 1JD in a top hat and waistcoat singing “one running back? How about two-hoooooo running backs? Doo hoo hoo hoo!” like ******* Willie Wonka

“Four Running Backs in a Room” should be a song in the Chalamet sequel they eventually make. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I disagree with this premise, at least when it comes to Joe Douglas. 

JD’s big failures were his whiffs on his 1st and 2nd round picks in his first 2 drafts: Mekhi Becton, Denzel Mims, Zach Wilson, Elijah Moore (who has talent but is a malcontent) 

those are the picks that set the franchise back and that he deserved to be fired for. His mid/late round + UFDA work has been fine and I would guess no worse than league average over the course of his tenure. 

He’s been terrible everywhere. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

He’s been terrible everywhere. 

Like I said yesterday, I’d be curious to see his mid/late round + UFDA work compared statistically to every other NFL GM over the course of his tenure here. my guess is that he’d be no worse than league average. 

Huff, both Halls, MC2, Echols, Warren, Ruckert, Davis, Adams, and Tippman were all taken after round 1 or were UDFAs 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Probably, but the Jets certainly enjoy none of them. A franchise that has the longest playoff drought in American sports has no business burning picks like that. 

I generally understand and appreciate the perspective but think it’s too black and white to actually be accurate.

Getting back to the Jordan Travis pick, I wonder what Patriots fans thought when they picked Tom Brady in the sixth. No, Jordan Travis is not Tom Brady, but Jordan travis sure in hell is not Zack Wilson. it’s going to be very interesting in a year from now reading this board and all the guys who questioned this pick.

I still remember many here who questioned Lamar Jackson and DeShawn Watson picks because they were not true pocket passers. What they were, is a winners, which exactly is what Jordan Travis is.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I was sitting here last night reflecting on how much time and mental energy I spend every year consuming and interacting with draft-related media only to watch the team I root for approach every pick like drunken, blind-folded frat bros trying to smash a piñata with a nine iron.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Next years draft class is easily the worst ever. 

had to get one this year 

Quarterback: C+The overall consensus is Colorado's Shedeur Sanders, Texas' Quinn Ewers and Georgia's Carson Beckare likely to be the first three off the board but all of them have lots of questions to be answered this season.1 hour ago

IMG_8921.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Next years draft class is easily the worst ever. 

had to get one this year 

Quarterback: C+The overall consensus is Colorado's Shedeur Sanders, Texas' Quinn Ewers and Georgia's Carson Beckare likely to be the first three off the board but all of them have lots of questions to be answered this season.1 hour ago

IMG_8921.jpeg

Yikes. I like Ewers, but that is some slim pickings. Van Dyke has some moxie, but I can't see it at the pro level. There will be surprises, as always.

17 hours ago, Jdeet said:

So, I am confused. Are we down on this guy because he is injured and might not play this year or because he isn’t any good? Everything I watched, seemed to make him a top 50 pick, if he wasn’t injured and his injury is not something career threatening.  

And wouldn’t the fact that he doesn’t play, be a good thing for the Jets? 

I like the pick, and the Jets can just stash him on the IR for the year. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when you guys were like Mike White is an injury prone guy with a weak arm. #PFM*

*Pepperidge Farm Remembers

You wanna go there ? Can I reply or will you report it again?

Just now, Larz said:

You wanna go there ? Can I reply or will you report it again?

Report it? You think I’d put any issue in the hands of these slack-jawed mods? You think these slack-jawed mods would even entertain intervening on my behalf in any way? 

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Report it? You think I’d put any issue in the hands of these slack-jawed mods? You think these slack-jawed mods would even entertain intervening on my behalf in any way? 

Oh I got banned after posting that pic of him had nothing to do with you ?

ok

by the way he’s a stiff athlete with concrete feet that can’t avoid or survive a hit. That’s why he’s a backup. He’s got a good arm and anticipation.  

Just now, Larz said:

Oh I got banned after posting that pic of him had nothing to do with you ?

ok

by the way he’s a stiff athlete with concrete feet that can’t avoid or survive a hit. That’s why he’s a backup. He’s got a good arm and anticipation.  

Pic of who? Mike White? I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

I had no problem with the jets choosing Travis as their development guy, I would have preferred pratt who was my 1st choice but would not have been upset with Travis, however if he is still not healthy that is a whole other ball of wax, we need a legit #3 development prospect not some guy on ir for the year or not ready to play.  Are going to call up freaking tim boyle again?

My BIG issue was stupidly trading up for him for no reason at all.   We pretty well trade out of the 4th round with all of our 4th round picks which says 'There is no player worthy of staying and taking, we will let the draft come to us.'  Then all of a sudden like 5 picks away from our pick in the 5th they have to trade up to get Travis, mind numbingly stupid move by Douglas, just a needless waste of assets.

• Post of the Week 1

I feel like JD and Saleh were like let's draft the guy with a catastrophic injury because the QB room will be able to crack a Busch over their shared trauma

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This isn’t a thing. You do this with UDFA’s, not 5th rounders. 

that's 100% b.s.  Teams do this all the time.  And it fails, but that's another issue.  In that regard I'm with you.  But as for mid round picks...  every year QBs are taken. 

On 4/27/2024 at 4:04 PM, Bobby816 said:

Like the pick for development. Only thing I don’t like is his age.

He turns 24 in a few days.

As long as Rodgers is old enough to be his grandfather, I'm ok.

• Haha 1