Jets Looking to be More Physical on Offense This Season

7 minutes ago, slats said:

All fair. I used the Deebo comp because I’ve heard it a lot and it fit the beauty of this narrative (lol), but what I’m hoping he becomes is a bigger, more durable love child of Wayne Chrebet and Laveranues Coles. I’m not expecting any jet sweeps or kick returns out of him, but I do expect him to be the team’s starting slot this year with the potential to develop into an outside guy. 

His route tree is limited, from what I've seen but that could the offense at WKU.  Slants, jerk routes, screens, go routes, lots of balls at or behind the LOS, not sure he's going to push anyone right away but I'm also of mind that Lazard bounces back and gets his head out of his ass w/ his boo sauce back in the picture and the energy sucking WR killing pouty bitch out the building. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

We should really pump the brakes on this Corley is Deebo talk.   I was Deebo's #1 fan coming out, followed his college career very closely, there is a thread in the draft forum to prove it.  I started a thread to make the claim he'd be the next big home run threat dynamo in the league.  Just because some knucklehead made this comparison during hot take-palooza month doesnt actually mean he's anything like, Deebo Samuel.  I've said in other threads but it's not just the level of comp. CUSA vs. SEC but also, the versatility and explosiveness was not the same.  Deebo scored from punts, kick offs, hand offs, screens, down field receptions, 14 ypc on his career and the dude even threw a TD in college.  While Corley has, 0 rushing TD's, 0 kick returns, 0 punt returns, and 11 ypc.

Love the pick, like the player, he's not a guaranteed threat to be anything more than depth.

I see Corley as a physical Cobb.  He used to line up in the backfield in his early GB days.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There’s prob some upside with Braelon Allen, but Davis looks like a plodder.

The 4.59 40 time is concerning.

The consensus seemed to be this was a poor RB class, and the Jets not only invest 1 pick but double-dip.

There’s a decent chance they could have gotten Davis as a UDFA instead of burning the pick.

Would rather have gone for an upside iOL at that point.

There's no depth at C right now.

Really? I don’t see that at all. He looks to have quick feet and changes directions well. 

• Upvote 1

Another nugget:

Braelon Allen is awful in pass pro and blocking in general.

Can’t be trusted on 3rd down.

So he’s basically a 2-down back.

Are they gonna relegate Breece to 3rd down duties?

Double-dipping at RB doesn’t make any sense.

It’s not like either of these guys can be a KR / PR.

25 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

His route tree is limited, from what I've seen but that could the offense at WKU.  Slants, jerk routes, screens, go routes, lots of balls at or behind the LOS, not sure he's going to push anyone right away but I'm also of mind that Lazard bounces back and gets his head out of his ass w/ his boo sauce back in the picture and the energy sucking WR killing pouty bitch out the building. 

I think they are gonna roll out some combo of Lazard and Gipson in the slot and use Corley in the Berrios gadget role.

Lazard is uncuttable and the contract continues to punish them and restrict what they do.

It’s almost unheard of for 2 UDFA WRs to make the opening roster like last year, which is a testament to just how bad the WR corps was heading into last offseason.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I’ve seen the exact opposite. 🤔

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think they are gonna roll out some combo of Lazard and Gipson in the slot and use Corley in the Berrios gadget role.

With Mike Williams probably not being ready for the start of camp, I’d expect Lazard to be getting the reps in his spot over the summer. Firmly believe that Corley will be the primary slot this season and if not on opening day, soon thereafter. Gipson sees his role on offense greatly reduced as his backup, and may need to battle for a roster spot. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I see Corley as a physical Cobb.  He used to line up in the backfield in his early GB days.  

Like, what you envision him to be in the NFL?  Because they were definitely different college player.  Cobb was crazy dynamic in college.  Had more rushes then receptions. Played a little QB as freshman.  Returned Kicks and Punts.  He was pretty incredible honestly. 

17 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Another nugget:

Can’t be trusted on 3rd down.

So he’s basically a 2-down back.

Are they gonna relegate Breece to 3rd down duties?

Double-dipping at RB doesn’t make any sense.

It’s not like either of these guys can be a KR / PR.

We have 2 rbs on the roster.  It makes perfect sense to draft 2 rbs.

I feel like I am in crazy town.

The fact jet fans cant grasp this is truly mind boggling.

• Upvote 2

One of those backs is going to be no better than RB3 and there’s a very viable chance those guys are RB3 and RB4. Right now the RB1 spot is absolutely on lockdown and you can get a capable veteran RB for peanuts whenever you want on the free agent market. There’s just next to no upside with drafting those guys.

I guess you hope Allen grows into being an elite RB because he’s so young and you’ve got him for a couple years after Hall if you don’t keep him? I don’t know. Kind of hope they keep Hall. Does Allen give you much more than like, Latavius Murray who also would be more useful in things like pass protection?

I think Corley is physical as a blocker and probably will add physicality and contribute in that way but it’s probably more prudent to view him as a glue guy who has some upside than throw out the Deebo and Cobb stuff.

They need more iOL depth so if the goal was to be more physical it would’ve made more sense to add a piece there than double down at running back.

Also I think one of the problems they’ve historically had is defenses really being able to compress up and play the short areas of the field so if healthy Mike Williams helps there but Corley and running backs probably don’t.

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Lazard is uncuttable and the contract continues to punish them and restrict what they do.

It’s almost unheard of for 2 UDFA WRs to make the opening roster like last year, which is a testament to just how bad the WR corps was heading into last offseason.

I could see it.  Though Berrios wasnt there w/ Hackett so not sure what role that is in this offense but as you said because of contract and the relationship w/ Rodgers, Lazard IMO would be betting odds to play the big slot for the majority of the snaps this season.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Yup. 

You have to be able to get 10 yards on 3 rushes at the end of the game when everyone knows that you are running it

winning football 

This.

If everything goes to plan, Jets might not throw a single pass in the 4th qtr

Call it TN if you like but actually a lot of teams run their offense this way.  The Jets have been trying the finesse route since Saleh got here but they had neither the personal nor the coaching to pull it off (nor the QB).  I don't care what anyone says I blame the rash of injuries on the dancing bear approach up from using wrong body types and bad coaching.  Power game is more straight forward approach IMO.  Who knows if it will work or not but I like the approach...for a change.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

i am not entirely sure that the Jets 4 RBs on the 53/PS are necessarily Breece, Izzy and the 2 draft picks.  They may need someone else.  It should be 3 guys on the 53 and 2-3 on the PS. 

Correct.  The 2 backs they just drafted will battle for rb3 and the other will be on the PS.  Very standard stuff here fellas.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  The 2 backs they just drafted will battle for rb3 and the other will be on the PS.  Very standard stuff here fellas.

The Jets have gone thru 4 or more RBs pretty much every season for the last ....oh forever

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

The Jets have gone thru 4 or more RBs pretty much every season for the last ....oh forever

That is my point.  Not only was it not a bad idea to draft 2 RBs (I just question the pick of Davis, not the pick of a RB-would rather have the guy the Dolphins picked), there needs to be at least 2 RBs on the PS. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There’s prob some upside with Braelon Allen, but Davis looks like a plodder.

The 4.59 40 time is concerning.

The consensus seemed to be this was a poor RB class, and the Jets not only invest 1 pick but double-dip.

There’s a decent chance they could have gotten Davis as a UDFA instead of burning the pick.

Would rather have gone for an upside iOL at that point.

There's no depth at C right now.

The Davis pick was the worst pick and made no sense 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Can't complain too much, this was a good offseason and I'm most happy about Tyron, Moses + Fashanu.

Steelers; SF; Arizona; Miami x 2; Bills x 2; Texans; Jags; Vikings; Seattle; 

Facing some solid pass rushers this year & keeping Rodgers healthy is job #1

When Breece is resting, I want the most capable RB to be Rodgers eyes when he drops back.

No more lame ass chop blocks Nate! Straight up power football and play action passing.

Breece & Allen split 30 Carries a game (2/3 - 1/3), Jet Sweeps to Corley, quick slants to GW and a few posts & Go Routes to MW to keep Safeties honest.

Lots of pre-snap movement, which is has been our weakness.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I said last year they were going to be a power running team that defenses couldn't stack the box against or Rodgers would kill them.  

Imo, that's always been the plan.  This is the style of football I love and Rodgers could probably play 3-4 more years in a system like that.  

IMO the jets have constructed the roster with the following in mind.

1) play with a lead

2) get sacks and turnovers as opponent plays catchup

3) pound the rock with Allen in the 3d quarter 

4) After opposing D is exhausted from tackling Allen, break the game open in the 4th quarter with a fresh breece.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Like, what you envision him to be in the NFL?  Because they were definitely different college player.  Cobb was crazy dynamic in college.  Had more rushes then receptions. Played a little QB as freshman.  Returned Kicks and Punts.  He was pretty incredible honestly. 

Correct.  What the Jets, Hackett, and Rodgers envision using him.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I said last year they were going to be a power running team that defenses couldn't stack the box against or Rodgers would kill them.  

Imo, that's always been the plan.  This is the style of football I love and Rodgers could probably play 3-4 more snaps in a system like that.  

Agreed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The Davis pick was the worst pick and made no sense 

Yeah on paper he might even be a cut candidate.

iOL (backup C?) or another actual need was the way to go.

Especially since they literally just drafted a superior player like 60 mins earlier.

They can’t cut Izzy and his track speed.

With better blocking up front he will make a few longhouse calls, rip off some chunk gainers if given a chance.

If they were gonna double dip it had to be at receiver, not RB, which is the most fungible position in football.

They either have over-confidence in Gipson as a full time slot or are betting on Lazard to bounce back.

The mere thought of Lazard at this point disgusts me.

He was a complete zero out there.

Luke McCaffrey is so gritty, scrappy, has such good hands, switched from QB to WR halfway through at Rice.

He has the pedigree and the athleticism to be a double or triple for DC.

Even though I took him in rd 2 for Browns in JN mock, I think the Jets fell In love with Corley not realizing that his trucking 160 lbs future UPS drivers probably won’t translate to the NFL.

4 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Really? I don’t see that at all. He looks to have quick feet and changes directions well. 

I've been watching Davis' tape.  The "plodder" comment is so off that it's actually funny.  Not mentioned anywhere is the kid is a tremendous pass blocker when needed. I like the Davis pick and I like the RB room at 1 Jets Drive right now.  I can see everyone, except perhaps Izzy, having good production.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I've been watching Davis' tape.  The "plodder" comment is so off that it's actually funny.  Not mentioned anywhere is the kid is a tremendous pass blocker when needed. I like the Davis pick and I like the RB room at 1 Jets Drive right now.  I can see everyone, except perhaps Izzy, having good production.

yeah he's not a plodder and 4.57 isn't a bad time for a RB even though the 40 time is pretty irrelevant to predict NFL success for a guy like this who stops and starts on a dime, has quick feet, high end vision and can navigate the trash at an NFL line of scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If they were gonna double dip it had to be at receiver, not RB, which is the most fungible position in football.

They either have over-confidence in Gipson as a full time slot or are betting on Lazard to bounce back.

Allen was one of the youngest players in this draft. He won’t turn 21 until after his first full NFL regular season. I’ve seen all sorts of sizes listed for him, but it’s generally 6’2”, 235. Put this practically literal kid in an NFL weight room, and he’ll comfortably carry 245. This guy is a piece of clay. He’s already demonstrated himself to be a pounding RB, he’s gonna be their ‘tweener weapon at H-back/FB, eventually. Bowden was the big loser when this guy got drafted. Davis will be the thumper. 

The slot receiver job is Corley’s to lose. They’ll open camp with Gipson penciled in as the starter with Corley backing him up (and Lazard playing X while Williams recovers), but they’ll quickly flip spots on the depth chart. After missing out on the top three WRs in hopes of elevating the entire group, at the top of the third they focused on upgrading the slot with a true WR in a RB’s body knowing that Garrett-Williams is a fine 1-2. They want Corley to be that guy, and they’re gonna give him every chance to be that guy. 

• Upvote 1