Becton lands 1-year deal

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Won’t make that final 53.

You know, I look at Becton as a guy who can get real serious, and work himself like a maniac, as an emotional response to criticism or when his back is up against a wall.

Then, when he gets himself all into shape, and has a chip on his shoulder, he is up and raring to go.

But, that doesn't last. He at some point gets complacent, stops caring, gets fat, and forgets that he needs to keep up the work in order to continue to excel as a professional.

The only explanation I come up with, is that Becton is emotionally and intellectually immature.  

He might work himself to a frenzy and even make the Eagles final 53, but then, at some point in the season, he will lose interest, and make the Eagles sorry that he made the team.

I feel that Jets fans understand this, but the rest of the NFL needs to learn about Becton.

I hope I'm wrong about him, and I hope that he proves me wrong.

• Upvote 3

I was never a fan, from the day we drafted him, but I hope things work out for the kid.

I was always bothered by the story of how he told the coaches his knee wasn’t right in TC, yet they ignored him and made him stay out there until it gave out.

Regardless of how he played before and afterward… That sucked.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Barton said:

I dont understand how this guy wasnt at least able to run block well this past season. IMO, he wasnt healthy.

100%.

Especially late in the year when he was barely moving at the snap of the ball.  He was literally five or six weeks away from hitting free agency and suddenly plays what was by far the worst football of his life?

Something was up.

I’m less negative about Becton than some.  The last year saw him coming back from major injuries (which he was likely stlil recoving from).  He went into a terrible scheme fit, with a qb who gave him no help at all in terms of protection package calls, and who would bail out of the pocket at the first chance of an issue.  He played both RT and LT, with a revolving door of linemen next to him.  The guy who probably needed steady rhythm the most, got almost none of it.   He also clearly was not used to playing at the lower weight (and lost the explosivity he used to have in his first year).

Now, he might be done injury wise, but if he is ok (and hes still young), then I still think he is salvageable with the right motivation.  He very much was one of the more talented Olines i’ve ever seen.  

Well, Zack beat the Broncos twice, in Denver, so Denver taking a flyer on him isn't shocking. And Becton was the RT on a team the handed the Eagles their first loss last season, so, same thing. Eagles took a flyer on a player that beat them.

If Becton had his struggles on some other team, and JD took a 1yr flyer on him, we'd all be excited!!! Glad the shoes on the other foot for once.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Well, Zack beat the Broncos twice, in Denver, so Denver taking a flyer on him isn't shocking. And Becton was the RT on a team the handed the Eagles their first loss last season, so, same thing. Eagles took a flyer on a player that beat them.

If Becton had his struggles on some other team, and JD took a 1yr flyer on him, we'd all be excited!!! Glad the shoes on the other foot for once.

Another year injurt free he is going to be a fine starter

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His career now hangs by a thin thread.  Perhaps he will see the light and find motivation (if not good health or durability) in his situation.  Who knows.

Motivation wasn't really his problem...it was injuriies...but I guess not getting into the shape needed was a big factor of not being ready to come back sooner....but I'm not sure you can fault the guy for getting her and then paying like a second year rook. It was his second year.

I think he is not a very good at his position but will be a low end starting calibre player 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

No, that's why FA will pick up today.

Once the draft is over, free agents no longer count toward comp picks.

Would've had a 4th for Huff until they signed Tyron Smith.

Not from what I've read.

So if he is signed before 4pm tomorrow (Monday) he will still get us a comp pick.  Now whether the Eagles will sign him that quickly or not is anybody's guess.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not from what I've read.

So I think if he is signed before 4pm tomorrow (Monday) he will still get us a comp pick.  Now whether the Eagles will sign him that quickly or not is anybody's guess.

I thought it was 4pm the day after the draft but apparently it's 2 days after. 

Either way that's a win for the Jets if that goes down.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I was a big fan. He let everyone down. I hope he fails.

I was a big fan as well but his career went the wrong direction.  I wish him no ill-will but I do feel like a decent amount of it was his own fault so I have less sympathy for him than some others.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

100%.

Especially late in the year when he was barely moving at the snap of the ball.  He was literally five or six weeks away from hitting free agency and suddenly plays what was by far the worst football of his life?

Something was up.

He decided that it was more important not be injured than play well.   I think he may have been right. 

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was a big fan as well but his career went the wrong direction.  I wish him no ill-will but I do feel like a decent amount of it was his own fault so I have less sympathy for him than some others.

If I had any say in the matter of his life, I’d wish him happiness, just not success on the football field. The team believed in his vast potential, invested a top 11 pick, made him rich beyond dreams and he complained, ate, and didn’t do the things he needed to do.

No need to take the high road for me with stuff like this. I don’t want to see him succeed at football the same way I don’t want a thief to get away with a crime, especially when I’m the one who was robbed.

They have a good offensive line, this is interesting. Definitely a low risk, high reward move for them. I always liked the kid, he didn't play well enough last year to change the narrative though. He played through pain, that part was good. But the Jets did the right thing in moving on.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

With arguably the best GM in the NFL.

Go figure.

So, if I am not mistaken, Mekhi doesn't count as a lost FA for the purposes of Comp picks since he was signed after the draft?  Or is the deadline in May?   If so, then he will count for us towards that.  

Just now, Dcat said:

So, if I am not mistaken, Mekhi doesn't count as a lost FA for the purposes of Comp picks since he was signed after the draft?  Or is the deadline in May?   If so, then he will count for us towards that.  

If he signs before 4pm, he does count in the comp pick calculations. If the Eagles do that, it would mean that they’re not expecting any comp picks themselves and will essentially be doing JD a favor. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ari Meirov ⁦‪@MySportsUpdate‬⁩

Important note with the draft over: Starting at 4pm ET on Monday, any unrestricted FA that signs with a new team will not count towards the 2024 compensatory draft pick formula. 

Becton to Philly will get that started.

4/28/24, 7:04 PM

So he will officially sign after this deadline?  Thus we won't benefit from it for comp pick purposes.   

it's a one year deal and worth up to 5.5 million.  basically it's a prove it deal.  i doubt if he even approaches the 5.5 million payout.    but he's going to a very good team and maybe he'll work better than expected.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So he will officially sign after this deadline?  Thus we won't benefit from it for comp pick purposes.   

Nick Korte @nickkorte

Whether this signing officially happens before or after Monday at 4 PM ET should not matter for 2025 comp picks.

The Eagles have already signed more compensatory free agents than they have lost, & this would only draw the Jets even. Maybe a net value 7th to NYJ at the best.

• Upvote 2

Will we even be able to tell whether Becton is signed by 4pm? I'm not sure...

Given that JD and Howie have traded this off season, it doesn't seem totally impossible that they're helping us by choice. It seems more likely than there being SO much competition for becton's services that they're rushing to sign him now... lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Will we even be able to tell whether Becton is signed by 4pm? I'm not sure...

Given that JD and Howie have traded this off season, it doesn't seem totally impossible that they're helping us by choice. It seems more likely than there being SO much competition for becton's services that they're rushing to sign him now... lol

Seems like it won't matter since at best,  it would only even out the Jets gains/losses for qualified FAs.  Eagles have nothing to gain and it seems like the Jets don't either.   So even in the end, Bekhi doesn't deliver even a comp pick

That's the final exclamation point on JD's bust 1st round pick.

• More Ugh 1